PDA

View Full Version : Old cleric player returns to DDO looking for a fun build

Leon89
10-19-2010, 08:44 PM
ok i am a returning cleric player and as the title says i'm looking for an intersting/different build

i am an almost a completely F2P/simi-casual player, so no 32 point builds, or monk or drow. i'm pretty sure i have still have access to the start at lvl 4 option. though when testing it out, i found it annoying.

i had built a human cleric, he was playable, but as the levels racked up i was starting to find out he was gimp as hell, with 16 WIS, my memory is foggy and sadly i have lost all of my characters since i stopped playing.

so now i'm looking for a fresh restart, a personal experiment you could say, i would like to be able to play on my own and in groups, and i'm looking for a more unique build then the standard H.C.C. (Human Caster Clearic). and since i know little about the new abilities of the cleric, i'm asking for help in that direction.

and yes i know how to use the search function, but it doesn't really help when i don't really know what to search for.

P.S. i am not afraid to mult- class, it's just that i know most multi-class chars need a 32 point build.

Veileira
10-19-2010, 09:03 PM
There are two cleric builds in the Revisiting Paths thread that you might want to take a look at. They both use Radiant Servant because that's the only one we've got so far.

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=232660

Leon89
10-19-2010, 09:20 PM
thank you for the reply i have seen them, and i am looking for something more unique then rebuilding of the three original paths. thanks any ways, though i have done some digging and the requesting a build topic (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=117232&page=75) has piqued my interest, though i am finding it hard to dig through.

FlyingTurtle
10-19-2010, 09:46 PM
You should at least talk about what you want to do, people can't help you if you have no requirements.

Leon89
10-19-2010, 09:50 PM
honestly, i want to play DDO again....

ok, ok, i'm being vague, truthfully i just cemented the idea in my head that i'm looking for a simi-FTP, (willing to cough up $20 for a 32 point build, but would prefer for it to stay ftp) non-human, non-dwarf, TWF battle cleric that is still group friendly.

edit: thinking this might be mission impossible, but is toying with posting request in the build request topic.

Veileira
10-19-2010, 09:57 PM
Valiance's soloist cleric is different.

My Mistflower is a variation of that going high dex instead of high wis and focusing more on melee, as well as going 2 rog/1 monk instead of 2 monk 1/rog.

If you want something different, read http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=164323

You can't eat +2 tomes at level 1 anymore so I started with higher int.

FlyingTurtle
10-19-2010, 10:01 PM
ok, ok, i'm being vague, truthfully i just cemented the idea in my head that i'm looking for a FTP, non-human, non-dwarf, TWF battle cleric that is still group friendly.

Here's a basic cookie-cutter build. Do be aware that a 28point elf TWF is always going to be more gimp than, e.g., a dwarf 2hf. If you can live with not being teh uberest, it's still viable.

Fighter 2 / Cleric 18
Str 14 (6pts)
Dex 16 (6pts)
Con 12 (6pts)
Int 8
Wis 16 (10pts)
Cha 8

Level ups in Wis.

Skills: Concentration
Feats (7+2): TWF, ITWF, GTWF, PA, Toughness, IC:Pierce, Emp. Heal, Quicken, Maximize.
Enhancements: Radiant servant (all), Rapier racial enhancements.

Leon89
10-19-2010, 10:42 PM
thank you for your replies Veileira and FlyingTurtle.

Valiance's soloist cleric is different.

My Mistflower is a variation of that going high dex instead of high wis and focusing more on melee, as well as going 2 rog/1 monk instead of 2 monk 1/rog.

If you want something different, read http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=164323

You can't eat +2 tomes at level 1 anymore so I started with higher int.

Very interesting i believe i will have to look into this build some more. i know i could throw money into getting the 32 point build, but i know if i can not pocket monk as well. though i could do monk only. (would be easier on my wallet too) i'm going to dig through that thread some more to see if Vali has a 28 point variation. though i might try to create one on my own.

also it seems i have lost every thing that i had from my past. dungeons and all.

Here's a basic cookie-cutter build. Do be aware that a 28point elf TWF is always going to be more gimp than, e.g., a dwarf 2hf. If you can live with not being teh uberest, it's still viable.

Fighter 2 / Cleric 18
Str 14 (6pts)
Dex 16 (6pts)
Con 12 (6pts)
Int 8
Wis 16 (10pts)
Cha 8

Level ups in Wis.

Skills: Concentration
Feats (7+2): TWF, ITWF, GTWF, PA, Toughness, IC:Pierce, Emp. Heal, Quicken, Maximize.
Enhancements: Radiant servant (all), Rapier racial enhancements.
oh, yes i know TWF will never put up as much damage as THF. so i'm fine with that. i know how to build a basic cleric and i have toyed with cleric fighter builds, but i'm looking more twards the path that Veileira has posted.
thank you anyways.

EDIT: O.O Update 7 is TOMMORROW! i guess i'm going to try to do this with a half-elf then.

Kriogen
10-20-2010, 02:53 AM
Drow, Evasion War priest.

Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 3.5.1
DDO Character Planner Home Page (http://www.rjcyberware.com/DDO)

Level 20 True Neutral Drow Male
(2 Fighter \ 2 Rogue \ 16 Cleric)
Hit Points: 272
Spell Points: 935
BAB: 15\15\20\25\25
Fortitude: 15
Reflex: 13
Will: 14

Starting Feat/Enhancement
Abilities Base Stats Modified Stats
(28 Point) (Level 1) (Level 20)
Strength 14 22
Dexterity 16 20
Constitution 12 14
Intelligence 10 10
Wisdom 14 18
Charisma 14 16

Tomes Used
+1 Tome of Dexterity used at level 9
+2 Tome of Strength used at level 20
+2 Tome of Dexterity used at level 20
+2 Tome of Constitution used at level 20
+2 Tome of Wisdom used at level 20
+2 Tome of Charisma used at level 20

Starting Feat/Enhancement
Base Skills Modified Skills
Skills (Level 1) (Level 20)
Balance 7 9
Bluff 2 3
Concentration 3 24
Diplomacy 2 3
Disable Device n/a n/a
Haggle 6 7
Heal 2 6
Hide 3 5
Intimidate 2 3
Jump 6 12
Listen 2 6
Move Silently 3 5
Open Lock 7 11
Perform n/a n/a
Repair 0 0
Search 0 2
Spot 6 10
Swim 2 6
Tumble 7 9
Use Magic Device 6 20

Level 1 (Rogue)
Feat: (Selected) Two Weapon Fighting

Level 2 (Cleric)

Level 3 (Fighter)
Feat: (Selected) Extend Spell
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Power Attack

Level 4 (Cleric)

Level 5 (Cleric)

Level 6 (Cleric)
Feat: (Selected) Empower Healing Spell

Level 7 (Cleric)

Level 8 (Cleric)

Level 9 (Rogue)
Feat: (Selected) Toughness

Level 10 (Fighter)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Improved Two Weapon Fighting

Level 11 (Cleric)

Level 12 (Cleric)
Feat: (Selected) Maximize Spell

Level 13 (Cleric)

Level 14 (Cleric)

Level 15 (Cleric)
Feat: (Selected) Greater Two Weapon Fighting

Level 16 (Cleric)

Level 17 (Cleric)

Level 18 (Cleric)
Feat: (Selected) Quicken Spell

Level 19 (Cleric)

Level 20 (Cleric)
Enhancement: Fighter Haste Boost
Enhancement: Cleric Radiant Servant
Enhancement: Drow Melee Attack
Enhancement: Drow Melee Damage
Enhancement: Elven Dexterity I
Enhancement: Follower of Vulkoor
Enhancement: Cleric Improved Empower Healing
Enhancement: Racial Toughness
Enhancement: Rogue Sneak Attack Training
Enhancement: Cleric Heal II
Enhancement: Cleric Prayer of Life I
Enhancement: Cleric Prayer of Incredible Life I
Enhancement: Cleric Life Magic
Enhancement: Rogue Dexterity I
Enhancement: Fighter Strength I
Enhancement: Cleric Wisdom I
Enhancement: Cleric Wisdom II
Enhancement: Fighter Toughness I
Enhancement: Rogue Improved Trap Sense I
Enhancement: Cleric Divine Might
Enhancement: Cleric Extra Turning I
Enhancement: Cleric Improved Turning I
Enhancement: Cleric Wand and Scroll Mastery

Fights good, heals good. Not a caster, but war priest.

Can solo/lowman good and is not welcome in blah PUGs. Thats a plus :)

Cheap to build, Drow is sort of poor-mans 32 point char. Only needs +1 DEX tome for TWF (improved, greater) feats at around lvl 9.

Splash Monk would be better, but you don't have Monk. But its not a big problem. You still get Evasion and you get full UMD. Some sneak attack is also nice. With UMD you can use all arcane scrolls/wands for example. Can also open some locks.

Leon89
10-20-2010, 08:03 PM
O.O every thing that i had thought i had lost, is now back! all of my old characters are there, it appears my currently lvl 9 cleric was built for using Radiant Servant. and i made him nearly 9 months ago

also i do like the build, you posted Kriogen and i just found out that i currently have the drow unlocked, and i do have veterans status! so i'm going to try out your build for the fun of it. any recommendations?

unbongwah
10-21-2010, 01:12 PM
non-human, non-dwarf, TWF battle cleric that is still group friendly
As luck would have it, I just posted my 28-pt TWF elf battle cleric (http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=3333144&postcount=3): solid melee DPS, good heals & buffs, weak offensive casting but can still lay down a Blade Barrier.

Leon89
10-21-2010, 10:10 PM
thank you unbongwah, i was wondering if there was an elven variation to the twf battle cleric, i am going to try it out.

unbongwah
10-22-2010, 10:32 AM
You're welcome. :) I'd say the biggest drawback to that elf build (once you accept it's not focused on offensive casting) is the low CON & HPs. Of course, you'll have plenty of self-healing and energy resistance spells to help mitigate dmg. But I think you'll also definitely want the best False Life, +CON (or keep yourself buffed w/Bear's End), etc. items you can get ASAP; getting a friendly arcane to keep you buffed with Blur, Displacement, and/or Stoneskin also wouldn't hurt.

It could also be done with monk 2 instead of ftr 2: adds Evasion, higher saves (+3 Reflex & Will), and WIS AC bonus while keeping the same feats (just in a slightly different order); but costs some HPs, +1 STR enh, and +1 BAB (though that becomes more or less irrelevant once you have Divine Power). But since monk isn't a F2P class, that wouldn't go into one of my "newbie-friendly" builds.

Leon89
10-22-2010, 04:46 PM
You're welcome. :) I'd say the biggest drawback to that elf build (once you accept it's not focused on offensive casting) is the low CON & HPs. Of course, you'll have plenty of self-healing and energy resistance spells to help mitigate dmg. But I think you'll also definitely want the best False Life, +CON (or keep yourself buffed w/Bear's End), etc. items you can get ASAP; getting a friendly arcane to keep you buffed with Blur, Displacement, and/or Stoneskin also wouldn't hurt.

It could also be done with monk 2 instead of ftr 2: adds Evasion, higher saves (+3 Reflex & Will), and WIS AC bonus while keeping the same feats (just in a slightly different order); but costs some HPs, +1 STR enh, and +1 BAB (though that becomes more or less irrelevant once you have Divine Power). But since monk isn't a F2P class, that wouldn't go into one of my "newbie-friendly" builds.
yeah, i can tell by just looking at the build that it has low CON for a cleric, as well as CHA when i looked at the build. other wise it looks to be a mighty fine TWF battle claric. though i'm not sure how to dress her, i was thinking full plate, but that might be too modest. maybe chain might make her look better, or even leather to bring out her wild side. ;)

yeah, i know monk can make it better, but for now i'm on the fence on whether getting a 32 point build my be a better use for my money.

also i should probably post my current highest clearic build right now. looking at it again makes me wonder what i was thinking.