PDA

View Full Version : CL link with summon monster spell?

windchant
10-19-2010, 01:07 PM
would it be a good idea to link CL and summon monster/ally series of spell? i mean like every 5 cl +1 to cr of the summon....

for now most of the summon was not that useful.. since U7 will introduce to better selection of summon spell, would it be better to make them useful?

p.s. for now.. summon the pet yourself and summon it with clickie/scroll/wand have no different at all....at least it seems...

Spoonwelder
10-19-2010, 02:13 PM
It kind of does already - each spell level you get a new one from dog through to Hezrou. Each gets a bump to CR...so I am not sure what you are looking for. Unless you mean an additional bump to the CR of a low level summon for the level of the caster....

Ie. you want to cast Summon 1 at level 20 and get a dog that is level 5ish? Or get a Hezrou that is level 16 instead of 12?

Overall a bump in their power is fine, but generally they are just damage magnets and getting another could of CRs isn't going to change the fact that they will die horrible deaths all the time and quickly.

Personally the only change I want in the summons is to make them less visible or not walk directly behind me. I like my Hezrou aggro sponge, but he gets in the way visually all of the time.

windchant
10-19-2010, 02:30 PM
It kind of does already - each spell level you get a new one from dog through to Hezrou. Each gets a bump to CR...so I am not sure what you are looking for. Unless you mean an additional bump to the CR of a low level summon for the level of the caster....

Ie. you want to cast Summon 1 at level 20 and get a dog that is level 5ish? Or get a Hezrou that is level 16 instead of 12?

Overall a bump in their power is fine, but generally they are just damage magnets and getting another could of CRs isn't going to change the fact that they will die horrible deaths all the time and quickly.

Personally the only change I want in the summons is to make them less visible or not walk directly behind me. I like my Hezrou aggro sponge, but he gets in the way visually all of the time.

hmm it does? i was never been able to tell any different.. never notice any different in their cr....

p.s. are you sure about this? i tried summon scroll and spell but can't tell any different....

Doxmaster
10-19-2010, 02:45 PM
Scrolls actually break your normal cooldown.

To test this, go into a quest and use any summon monster spell (Actually cast the spell.). Watch the cooldown for casting it normally.

Then after the 6 second cooldown, cast any summon monster spell off of a scroll or with a clicky. The cooldown for scrolls and items is something like 1 minute.

Spoonwelder
10-19-2010, 03:25 PM
hmm it does? i was never been able to tell any different.. never notice any different in their cr....

p.s. are you sure about this? i tried summon scroll and spell but can't tell any different....

I think we are talking about different things.....I am talking solely about the spells as cast. Each spell level you get a different Summon Creature (I-!X).

Scrolls will cast as the level required to cast the spell but will not result in a different CR on the creature summoned.

To check the CR of the creature summoned simply click on it and in the focus orb at the top you will see the CR rating of the creature.

Note the new summons are changing the CRs abit so they top out at 16.

windchant
10-19-2010, 03:46 PM
I think we are talking about different things.....I am talking solely about the spells as cast. Each spell level you get a different Summon Creature (I-!X).

Scrolls will cast as the level required to cast the spell but will not result in a different CR on the creature summoned.

To check the CR of the creature summoned simply click on it and in the focus orb at the top you will see the CR rating of the creature.

Note the new summons are changing the CRs abit so they top out at 16.

there are UMD and clickie... so shouldn't caster get better version of the summon? shouldn't summon monster spell even to be consider by sorc/fvs? i mean yet summon monster spell have no different from casting from scroll, wand, clickie or spell.. that make this spell worthless to remember. since it last 10 min even with scroll or clickie, and they can be find easy on scroll and wand.

after all, this spell do take component to cast, which is about the same thing if you get scroll or wand..which could be few pp cheaper but no big deal. and you got one free spot to memory other more useful spell.

p.s. for most of the other spell it would be totally different if cast by a pure caster or wand/scroll.. at least i never seen any cl 20 clickie or wand..