PDA

View Full Version : i mean really?

lordic
10-17-2010, 05:07 PM
Sorry again about this embarrassing post.

psymun
10-17-2010, 05:48 PM
what is with all these new copycat guilds out there able to steal a good guilds name with 1 letter difference?i mean really ?should we really blow money on making our guild cool just to have some ripoff artists come steal our name and drag it through the gutter?heres a good example..Oriens Elite and now a lvl 15 guild i saw today..Orien Elite.***>?dude b4 i spend 1 more red cent on this guild it better be fixed and similar named guilds made to hange thier name.

period

I would like to start by reminding you that this is just a game...

Second, the name Orien Elite, or Orien's Elite isn't the most original name that you could come up with...

Thid, I completely agree, when I was making my guild name, I did research to see if anyone else had anything similar... It's common sense. But the only thing common about common sense is how uncommon it is.

lordic
10-17-2010, 09:03 PM
it is just a game i understand and the name itself not the most original but it seems that ddo is promoting this whole guild thing now.spend cash on this,spend cash on that,and that's fine.everyone needs to make a living,but if your gonna sell a product you really need to put limits on it or monitor it somehow.also i sink a ton of time into this game just like alot of other people,but would it be so bad to either make a similar letter restriction or perhaps a option to change ones own guilds name?i mean i will literally change my guilds name or whatever it takes to not be 100% cheesed off of.sure it wont be the same but i really feel cheated here and i know alot of other guild leaders feel the exact same way when it happens to them.i seen forever knights/fallen knights army of death/armyofdeath, kinda becomes redundant,and unfair to those who put in all that work.i mean what if someone decided to make overraided instead of over raided,i bet something would be done.

Falco_Easts
10-17-2010, 09:41 PM
what is with all these new copycat guilds out there able to steal a good guilds name with 1 letter difference?

Or you guild might not be as famous as you think it is. Maybe they made a guild and called it what they wanted without any clue your guild even existed.

i mean really ?should we really blow money on making our guild cool just to have some ripoff artists come steal our name and drag it through the gutter?heres a good example..Oriens Elite and now a lvl 15 guild i saw today..Orien Elite.***>?dude b4 i spend 1 more red cent on this guild it better be fixed and similar named guilds made to change their name.

It's no different to similar named character names. There are only so many names out there that would make sense as Guild names. After that you wold get guilds running around called "Joe" or "sjkodsdg".

period

Maybe you should refrain from posting for a few days then until you stop being so irritable.

lordic
10-18-2010, 12:30 AM
ok bud if your saying there simply isnt enough names for a guild id suggest you pick up a Websters or thesaurus and thumb through sometime.the possibilities are endless and because ddo is played by more cultures then just one it breaks the language barrier and opens up yet even more possibilities. no im not saying my guild is infamous or anything but i am saying that when names are submitted for guilds there could be simple programming that doesn't allow for similar guild names.yes i am cranky.who wouldn't be ?i don't even really post to ddo forums unless im looking for some kind of feedback or im suggesting something.perhaps you can tell me how to get my guilds name changed or come up with a solution to all this.i guess it would be awsome if we all were like defender/defenders/defendersxx/xxdefenders/xdefendersx.i hope someone out there can see where im going with this and can kinda assist with the solution.after all if your not part of the solution,your part of the problem.

Falco_Easts
10-18-2010, 12:41 AM
ok bud if your saying there simply isnt enough names for a guild id suggest you pick up a Websters or thesaurus and thumb through sometime.the possibilities are endless and because ddo is played by more cultures then just one it breaks the language barrier and opens up yet even more possibilities. no im not saying my guild is infamous or anything but i am saying that when names are submitted for guilds there could be simple programming that doesn't allow for similar guild names.yes i am cranky.who wouldn't be ?i don't even really post to ddo forums unless im looking for some kind of feedback or im suggesting something.perhaps you can tell me how to get my guilds name changed or come up with a solution to all this.i guess it would be awsome if we all were like defender/defenders/defendersxx/xxdefenders/xdefendersx.i hope someone out there can see where im going with this and can kinda assist with the solution.after all if your not part of the solution,your part of the problem.

I understand where you are coming from and I understand it is a big deal to you. People pride themselves on their guilds rep. I get that. But how many character names are there to every guild name? 10:1? 50:1? 100:1? How many issues have their been with people mistaking one character for another over the years? If Turbine were going to start somewhere it would be clearing out disused character names first.

Where do you draw the line? Does someone naming their guild Orien Defenders (No idea if this guild exists, apologies if they do) rule out out anyone using both Orien & Defenders in their guild name in case one guild is mistaken for another?

ToKu
10-18-2010, 12:49 AM
LOL your ON the Orien server.... there is nothing origional about your guilds name.

Wrendd
10-18-2010, 01:50 AM
If your guild was named "Phantasamorphia" and someone else named a guild "Phantasmorphiae then you would have a much stronger case. With Orien Elite vs Oriens Elite... well, neither one of those words are unusual, it is the name of the server you are on, and many people would gravitate to the word "elite" if they are attempting to make a guild that they expect to have a "rep". (Whether or not the guild lives up the the expectations of the leader is another thing entirely).

Basicly, I am not surprised that there are 2 Orien(s) Elite guilds, the name is far to common to expect uniqueness. I also would be careful of assuming that they did it to copy your guild. It was probably a simple coincidence.

MsEricka
10-18-2010, 02:01 AM
what is with all these new copycat guilds out there able to steal a good guilds name with 1 letter difference?i mean really ?should we really blow money on making our guild cool just to have some ripoff artists come steal our name and drag it through the gutter?heres a good example..Oriens Elite and now a lvl 15 guild i saw today..Orien Elite.***>?dude b4 i spend 1 more red cent on this guild it better be fixed and similar named guilds made to change their name.

Your attitude sucks, and your "threat" of not spending your allowance on DDO doesn't scare anyone. Four posts and you're already in the black for reputation sure says to me that people don't like what you're saying OR how you're saying it.

If it's that big of a deal, why don't YOU open a thesaurus or dictionary and change your guild name to something unique instead of something that is bland and highly unoriginal.

lordic
10-18-2010, 09:58 AM
thanks for the feedback falco.would anyone know a way i could petition to change the guilds name?and yes i realize the name isnt 100% original.orien should have never been used in the name at all and i probably wouldnt be running into this problem in the first place.still i think there should be a way to filter through it.allowance?really lol?im just gonna shrug off your comments,and personal shots man,because im not here to argue back and forth about foolishness.

Bloodstealer
10-18-2010, 11:14 AM
thanks for the feedback falco.would anyone know a way i could petition to change the guilds name?and yes i realize the name isnt 100% original.orien should have never been used in the name at all and i probably wouldnt be running into this problem in the first place.still i think there should be a way to filter through it.allowance?really lol?im just gonna shrug off your comments,and personal shots man,because im not here to argue back and forth about foolishness.

Hmmm have to be honest here and agree with the OP' last comment in that it's really just a waste of time arguing about the foolishness but the only problem is it's the OP's original issue I find to be the foolishness :)

I mean c'mon surely it's really not a life or death issue having similar looking guild names, does it really cause that much pain to you, does it stop you from enjoying your game time so much.... ?

Merlocke
10-18-2010, 11:19 AM
maybe you two could form an "Alliance" ;)

Crann
10-18-2010, 12:37 PM
what is with all these new copycat guilds out there able to steal a good guilds name with 1 letter difference?i mean really ?should we really blow money on making our guild cool just to have some ripoff artists come steal our name and drag it through the gutter?heres a good example..Oriens Elite and now a lvl 15 guild i saw today..Orien Elite.***>?dude b4 i spend 1 more red cent on this guild it better be fixed and similar named guilds made to change their name.

period

The humerous part of this post, is that RC and Company started Orien Elite, before the OP started Oriens Elite. So, the issue that the OP is speaking of, and complaining about...is something that he did, by taking an existing guild's name and changing one letter.

SINIBYTE
10-18-2010, 12:40 PM
LOL your ON the Orien server.... there is nothing origional about your guilds name.

He shouldve called it "Orien Casual". heh

Kawabonga
10-18-2010, 12:52 PM
it is just a game i understand and the name itself not the most original but it seems that ddo is promoting this whole guild thing now.spend cash on this,spend cash on that,and that's fine.everyone needs to make a living,but if your gonna sell a product you really need to put limits on it or monitor it somehow.also i sink a ton of time into this game just like alot of other people,but would it be so bad to either make a similar letter restriction or perhaps a option to change ones own guilds name?i mean i will literally change my guilds name or whatever it takes to not be 100% cheesed off of.sure it wont be the same but i really feel cheated here and i know alot of other guild leaders feel the exact same way when it happens to them.i seen forever knights/fallen knights army of death/armyofdeath, kinda becomes redundant,and unfair to those who put in all that work.i mean what if someone decided to make overraided instead of over raided,i bet something would be done.

Paragraph, n.
1. a. A distinct passage or section of a text, usually composed of several sentences, dealing with a particular point, a short episode in a narrative, a single piece of direct speech, etc.

Vanshilar
10-18-2010, 12:57 PM
The humerous part of this post, is that RC and Company started Orien Elite, before the OP started Oriens Elite. So, the issue that the OP is speaking of, and complaining about...is something that he did, by taking an existing guild's name and changing one letter.

Looking through Yskuma's guild archives, Orien Elite was created sometime between Aug 20 and Aug 27. In fact, they even have a MyDDO page, which can be seen here:

http://my.ddo.com/guild-orien-orien_elite/

which indicates that they were created before the guild pages stopped working. The OP's guild, Oriens Elite, was not listed at all on the guild renown leaderboards at the time it stopped updating, which (for Orien) was around Sep 9-10. In fact you can see the status of the leaderboards at the time it stopped updating for yourself:

http://my.ddo.com/leaderboard/guild/?page=72&sc=n&sd=a&w=7

Draw your own conclusions.

AyumiAmakusa
10-18-2010, 01:02 PM
When I made my guild, I thought the name was nice, then I checked the other servers and apparently all the rest had the exact same guild name.

Lol. Turns out humans do think alike.

Therigar
10-18-2010, 01:04 PM
Actually surprised this thread hasn't been locked and OP hit for infraction points. I've been under the impression that talking about a guild, other than your own, was generally a violation of forum policies. And talking about it negatively (as in, you ripped off our name) I thought was clearly a violation.

Now, I'm playing on Orien all the time and my guild is the Council of Village Idiots. It is me, my son and my daughter. We don't advertise, we don't recruit and, as far as I can tell (other than the smiles the name brings on occassion) we aren't well known enough for others to copy-cat.

But, if they did it wouldn't really be an issue since I know who all the members are and what our real worth is both as players and as people. I'd think any guild of any merit would know that about themself regardless. :cool:

lordic
10-18-2010, 01:49 PM
ok well if thats true i suppose i really stuck my foot in my mouth big time,and i apologize.believe me i didn't want to copy any names from any other guilds.as a matter of fact that's been my primary point the entire time.if there was some way to change the name short of disbanding and recreating i would i assure you.and i am not bashing another guild at all im saying again it basically sucks that its possible to do this.again >i apologize and ill discontinue posting on this thread,but perhaps a tool that doesn't allow guilds with "too" similar names isnt such a bad idea is it?

SINIBYTE
10-18-2010, 07:43 PM
ok well if thats true i suppose i really stuck my foot in my mouth big time,and i apologize.believe me i didn't want to copy any names from any other guilds.as a matter of fact that's been my primary point the entire time.if there was some way to change the name short of disbanding and recreating i would i assure you.and i am not bashing another guild at all im saying again it basically sucks that its possible to do this.again >i apologize and ill discontinue posting on this thread,but perhaps a tool that doesn't allow guilds with "too" similar names isnt such a bad idea is it?

http://www.ddo.com/ddosupport/premium-services

There you go.

LordMond63
10-18-2010, 08:23 PM
Actually, I believe there was a Defenders Of Orien at one time and Therigar was its Founder. My Wizard was in it for a while. Pretty good bunch of people if memory serves.

As for the why of someone naming their guild almost identically to the name of someone else's guild, I;d have to figure here it is just to mess with the other guild. It's certainly middle school-ish- I'd expect it of the WoW community- but I'm not sure that it would cause any lasting damage.

Unlike in the real world:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitehouse.com

Three little letters. All the difference in the world.

Now be honest...until you followed that link, were you familiar with the term "typosquatting"? I know I wasn't.

lordic
10-19-2010, 12:40 AM
thank you two for the feedback you've been extremely helpful.

FluffyCalico
10-19-2010, 12:48 AM
Who copys the name of a level 15 guild?

unscythe
10-19-2010, 07:46 AM
.i mean what if someone decided to make overraided instead of over raided,i bet something would be done.

Not really a big deal, its pretty hard to copy the guild level. Also, come up with something original and stick with it. Build it in your own way, a difference of a letter can now be differentiated by guild level, and of course the players.

What matter's more, the players in the guild or the name of the guild?

Looks like you care about guild rep a tad bit more then player rep.

lordic
10-19-2010, 09:16 AM
no guild and toon rep go hand in hand.both are important.

MogeeMaleeg
10-19-2010, 09:28 AM
he Shouldve Called It "orien Casual". Heh

Lol +1

Therigar
10-19-2010, 10:37 AM
Actually, I believe there was a Defenders Of Orien at one time and Therigar was its Founder. My Wizard was in it for a while. Pretty good bunch of people if memory serves.

That is true. We all sort of went our own different ways as I wasn't able to really match the gaming times of most folk so didn't succeed very well in keeping events running smoothly.

If it were revived by someone else I'd wish them the best of luck and success.

crazy7381
10-20-2010, 11:24 AM
Its not the name that makes the guild that is just the flag flown by the guild it is the quality of player in it that distinguishes the pro's from the joes. or the respectful from the morning after bathroom visit from eating bad taco bell.

You really want to seperate Orien Elite from Oriens Elite put up or shut up... that simple. Help others be friendly and courteious(probably spelt wrong). And they will remember and respect your name and guild...

Quazicotl lev 16 rogue

Revelation Fighters

Jamma
10-20-2010, 11:40 AM
Actually surprised this thread hasn't been locked and OP hit for infraction points. I've been under the impression that talking about a guild, other than your own, was generally a violation of forum policies. And talking about it negatively (as in, you ripped off our name) I thought was clearly a violation.

There's the irony of it, apparently the OP was talking about his own guild, he just didn't realize it.

MRH
10-23-2010, 08:39 AM
Now that i found out they posted on the forum......I would like to say thank you to those that see the true story.

Ok so my quild is not up to high lvl yet....it's mine that i thought up. I solo alot and run with close friends that KNOW me and my rep well.

As to the TRUTH , you and your guildies kept harrassing me sending me tells to the point you are all squelched.
Quote "lordic : no guild and toon rep go hand in hand.both are important. " that made me laugh reading that.

Thanks to those that took time to look into it.

<Salute> from Orien Elite !

Lorz
10-23-2010, 08:45 AM
First let's get this straight....

There are no Elite players on Orien.
Now what were we discussing?

/yes that's a zinger.....yes it's true. Just because you run TS on elite does not make you elite. It's an attitude animi sorry we ran out before Orien was ever assembled from the pages of tiger direct.....we got it on sale...it was a closeout.

MRH
10-23-2010, 08:50 AM
You are not discussing anything, your trolling.....or just post padding :>P... or bored ? lol

Crann
10-25-2010, 08:27 AM
You are not discussing anything, your trolling.....or just post padding :>P... or bored ? lol

They do that alot here RC.

After finding out how much they harrassed you in game, the OP sounds all the more ridiculous now.

unscythe
10-25-2010, 10:10 AM
I am pretty elite at running gimp toons.

Crann
10-25-2010, 11:25 AM
First let's get this straight....

There are no Elite players on Orien.
Now what were we discussing?

That's true, and its a conspiracy on Turbine's part to keep it appearing that way, that's why they broke the MyDDO so you can't see the guild leaderboard anymore.