PDA

View Full Version : Bardic Lore

EricZanzibar
10-17-2010, 02:40 PM
Hi,
In PnP D&D Bards had the ability of Bardic Lore whereby they could identify magical properties on items. I think it would be fun/interesting to make items found in chests have unknown magical properties until 1 of 2 instances occured.
1) A bard player used bardic lore on an item. This could perhaps be done through the trade window by any bard. This way the bard could be paid for their service.
Different items could have different difficulties in identifying depending on the level.

2) A player took the item to and NPC in House Phiarlian and paid to have it identified. Once enough favor was gained with House P you could take it to any tavern vendor.

**EDIT** 3) Wizards could use a lv3 (i think) spell called identify.

Unidentified magical items were sold at a base, low value of a masterwork item of its kind. (i.e. +5 great axe would be sold as a masterwork greataxe until i.d'd).

Items I.D'd and sold at auction would remain I.D'd. Only brand new items would be unidentified.

Your thoughts?

MarkusWolfe
10-17-2010, 03:26 PM
NO.

There is absolutely no reason to implement this.

Dulcimerist
10-17-2010, 03:30 PM
Isn't this sort of how Ioun Stones work?

Aashrym
10-17-2010, 03:35 PM
I would rather see bardic lore implemented as a bonus to the level of the loot items as they find the hidden qualities of items. But that's just because I'm greedy sometimes. :D

A bardic lore check and entry to know the features for upgradable items might not be a bad idea though. Separate check for the item and for the epic version. I think the end result would be flavor and saving a search.

Rav'n
10-17-2010, 03:36 PM
Great for PnP or RPG's... NOT for DDO (or any other MMO).

Irinis
10-17-2010, 03:37 PM
It was a bit annoying in NWN to have to identify items. Sure it fits lore better to have that mystery, and would give Bards something else unique to do, but in daily play it's just ridiculous to have to identify things before selling them or even using them.

In a faster-faced hack and slash, you find a better weapon as loot and you use it immediately.
In a slow RP run, it might be months before you can get back to town to identify if that greataxe is a +2 piece of nothing or a +5 named item of awesome. Do you really want to lug that thing around for MONTHS to find out? Or do you find your inventory so full of unidentified items you have to throw them out without knowing what they are in order to use ones that are identified and you can use NOW?

It adds a completely unnecessary layer of complexity to not only play but to coding for items as well.

Delayed gratification is sometimes good game mechanics, but there's enough of that in DDO already and there's no need to implement more.

Memnir
10-17-2010, 03:42 PM
No thank you.
I think this would simply be putting in a layer of annoyance to the game that really does not need to be implemented just to semi-justify adding an ability to one class.

windchant
10-18-2010, 07:41 PM
I would rather see bardic lore implemented as a bonus to the level of the loot items as they find the hidden qualities of items. But that's just because I'm greedy sometimes. :D

A bardic lore check and entry to know the features for upgradable items might not be a bad idea though. Separate check for the item and for the epic version. I think the end result would be flavor and saving a search.

that would be just dreaming... lol they will never done that..

windchant
10-18-2010, 07:48 PM
personally i think the best way to implement it is to give bonus to umd.. i mean like with 10 point to the lore you will be consider as all race when umd check.. with point 20 you will be consider as lvl 1 of every class when doing a umd check.. maybe with 30 point make you consider as lvl 5 in all cass when umd check.. and lvl 10 with lvl 40, lvl 15 with 50 and lvl 20 with 60(if it is possible to get that high XD)

on the other side they could also be implement as another haggle skill, the more you understanding the item, the higher you can buy/sale it to a vendor.. i think that make sense..

EricZanzibar
10-19-2010, 03:13 AM
whilst i can see my original idea has died quite horribly your suggestions Windchant aren't bad.
IMO.