PDA

View Full Version : Freedom of Alignment

Egilson
10-16-2010, 09:55 AM
Could we please be allowed to choose our own alignment during Character Generation if we follow a path? I know there's little effect from alignment in DDO, but I was once a role player and it seems wrong to me to allow me to choose my hair and my scars but not the state of my soul.

Diyon
10-16-2010, 10:08 AM
Could we please be allowed to choose our own alignment during Character Generation if we follow a path? I know there's little effect from alignment in DDO, but I was once a role player and it seems wrong to me to allow me to choose my hair and my scars but not the state of my soul.

That sounds appropriate, but barring that, the easy fix is not to use a path, and if you really want the path look it up and follow the stats and changes it uses manually.

As to little effect, without UMD, it effects what items you can use, and also whether you'll take extra damage from certain monsters.

Meretrix
10-16-2010, 10:15 AM
Dont use the paths they are really bad

Lorz
10-16-2010, 10:24 AM
Dont use the paths they are really bad

That is sound advice.

Thaminor
10-17-2010, 08:01 AM
regardless, they are usefull to people learning the game, wanting to try something out without messing something up, etc...

/sign

dunklezhan
10-17-2010, 08:12 AM
regardless, they are usefull to people learning the game, wanting to try something out without messing something up, etc...

/sign

True, true... and yet there's a better option:

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=232660

Furbitor
10-17-2010, 08:24 AM

Hi there. if your interested in a great discussion on alignments in DDO, look here (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=183807).

It could be added to the game with little difficulty.

shame,

furb

Wrendd
10-17-2010, 08:31 AM

Actually, I think they can actually HURT your understanding of the game.

The paths will make choices for you and you might not understand what choice was made, nor the reason it was made. I think it is much better for you to utterly gimp a toon and LEARN why he is gimped rather than just have a toon that was gimped for reasons that you barely understand.

My first toon was a sword and board fighter, I wanted to be a "tank" and thought.."huh, shields would be cool, and I can use a battle axe with that...Yup, Battle Axe and shield, that is what I want to use, I am going to KICK A..". LOL, guess how that turned out for me :) But I learned a lot from that and am glad that I did.

You can and will learn the game from playing a character on a path, but I think you will learn more and faster if you avoid the paths and make your own character.

Wrendd
10-17-2010, 08:41 AM
Hi there. if your interested in a great discussion on alignments in DDO, look here (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=183807).

It could be added to the game with little difficulty.

shame,

furb

It might be easy to program it, but I really think adding in evil alignments would do more harm than good.

I think evil alignments would be used as an excuse for griefing by many players. I know that we currently have people in the game that grief without having evil alignments and yes, they will continue to do so. I am more concerned about the people that will see that evil alignment and decide to grief players because of it. ie. "I am an evil rogue, I am 'in character' when I grab that epic scroll that dropped, YOU chose to team with an evil character, don't blame me, I am just acting my alignment".

That does not even touch on the whole idea of WHY an evil character would even attempt a large number of the quests in DDO. And why are they teaming with good aligned people as well.

In order for an evil alignment system to really work (IMO) you would need to have a seperate "city" and selection of quests to chose from. Look at City of Heroes, they have heroes and villians, each has their own city to explore and mission in, and there are several PvP and co-op zones. Whether you like CoH or not, the way they implemented good vs evil in their game is very well done.

Uska
10-17-2010, 11:18 AM
Paths are gimpy and you only hurt yourself and your party by chosing one.

Tom318
10-17-2010, 11:35 AM
That does not even touch on the whole idea of WHY an evil character would even attempt a large number of the quests in DDO.

Did you just ask why an evil character would beat up monsters in their own homes and steal their belongings? :) Sorry, but I think most of the quests are designed for neutral or evil characters. A good character would not have accepted the reward for a lot of the quests, and yet there is not option to do that. A chance to kill things, and a reward. Those are good motivations for the evil character.

And why are they teaming with good aligned people as well.

Easier to steal from :)

Uska
10-17-2010, 11:42 AM

/sign

Incorrect people would be better served by coming to fourms and looking at some builds here or asking questions there is no need to start the game down the wrong path.

Furbitor
10-17-2010, 09:40 PM
It might be easy to program it, but I really think adding in evil alignments would do more harm than good.

I think evil alignments would be used as an excuse for griefing by many players. I know that we currently have people in the game that grief without having evil alignments and yes, they will continue to do so. I am more concerned about the people that will see that evil alignment and decide to grief players because of it. ie. "I am an evil rogue, I am 'in character' when I grab that epic scroll that dropped, YOU chose to team with an evil character, don't blame me, I am just acting my alignment".

Furb: I hear you. First I would like to remind you this isnt WOW. Nor COH, or such. Griefing is terrible whatever game its in as people are trying to ruin the fun of others. The best way to eliminate griefing is to program it out. Ie the "scroll that drooped would go into a roll list for the whole party, alignments notwithstanding. Cant greif what you cant grab.

And playing in character is Exactly what would be fun, imagine a mixed party, going thru an area where a bunch of evil mobs are... the neg aligned party members pass into the mob and achieve the goal, while the pos aligned wait... and vice versa..

greifing can always be eliminated from the game because its primarily PVE, not PVP.

That does not even touch on the whole idea of WHY an evil character would even attempt a large number of the quests in DDO. And why are they teaming with good aligned people as well.

Furb: This is my point, More new content. Not same old quests. Our at least old quests tweaked.

In order for an evil alignment system to really work (IMO) you would need to have a seperate "city" and selection of quests to chose from. Look at City of Heroes, they have heroes and villians, each has their own city to explore and mission in, and there are several PvP and co-op zones. Whether you like CoH or not, the way they implemented good vs evil in their game is very well done.

Furbed in yeallow