PDA

View Full Version : pickpocket

helicalius
10-16-2010, 07:07 AM
shadow style gaming is not implemented very well in ddo. you can sneak and lose mobility speed but why?? if there would be a new dex based skill called pickpocket where you could steal the key without killing the redname then maybe shadow style gaming would come back to life. thank you for the +++

Spoprockel
10-16-2010, 07:40 AM
Yeah, i wanna pickpocket some large devil scales from Harrys buttocks while the others are beating on him!

Seriously, i would welcome an option to pickpocket mobs or npcs in qests.
It would require some thought and dev time though, and that's where everyone will tell you that the devs should rather focus on debugging and new content.

Sad, but also very true

helicalius
10-16-2010, 11:19 AM
wow has pickpocketing!!, and if thats not a reason enogh for devs to make pickpocketing then what is???

DToNE
10-16-2010, 11:38 AM
Reasons for lack of pickpocket
1) Different game engines: The engine used for WoW and DDO are very different, thus the coding might or might not allow for certain things to be achieved in certain games.

2) Coding: Adding a "take {string} item from {target}" and so on might not be so hard, but adding a completely new loot table is very difficult. This can take years to implement.

3) D&D Failed pickpocket procedure: In PnP, you can still get caught pickpocketing regardless of success or not. This causes friendly NPCs to turn hostile towards you, which is another part of coding which should be avoided for MMO purposes.

4) It's a sub-feature: The devs are not willing to change the entire game for a very minor ability only one class can do. If they had a choice to improve the whole game overall or improve only one class, they would more likely choose the entire game.

GBantaR
10-16-2010, 11:44 AM
wow has pickpocketing!!, and if thats not a reason enogh for devs to make pickpocketing then what is???

Because that kind of mentality is why we have PvP, and look at how that turned out.

donfilibuster
10-16-2010, 12:06 PM
First of all sneak is not broken, it has its uses and with proper level you don't lose the speed.

Plenty of old threads asking for pickpockets, which is btw the sleight of hand skill.
With that skill you can only steal small things, like keys, coins and the sort of things you may find in barrels.

In any case pickpockets tipically happens in a low magic setting, on a high magic setting it is hard to not be caught even by peasants.
That's also where the thieves became rogues, where all that loot lying around in caves is more profitable and riskless.
Even the stormreach bands of thieves are organized crime, with all of them engaged in black market rather than stealing.

If you don't buy the thing with the setting, keep reading.

The number one reason there's no pickpockets on stormreach...

Picture a young pickpocketer who decides to palm a few coins is easier than working on the docks or the guard.
If it were you wouldn't you start right at the marketplace? Not in the harbor, not in the houses, but right where the money is.
Between the market tent and the bank, thats where coins walks back and forth.
Eyeing the crowd, some customers near the stalls but there's a guard on each bridge.
There's some people near the mailbox but seems to be adventurers so would be risky as well.
There's a few bystanders by the fountain, those look wealthy enough and no guard is looking... bingo!

Trivia question, how many dragons are there in stormreach? three, four, five?

flynnjsw
10-16-2010, 12:08 PM

Sounds like the number 1 reason for us not to have it to me.

MarkusWolfe
10-16-2010, 04:44 PM

Aaaaaaaand there goes your chances of ever being respected on this forum again.

helicalius
10-17-2010, 08:21 AM
i dont understand any of you, first of all adding something like pickpocket into the game engine is exacly like taunt onlly from close range then a dice roll then an award i dont see how that equalls for changing the whole game??
secondly my reference to wow has nothing to do with my head thread btw