PDA

View Full Version : Arcane Scrolls which are NOT Available From NPCs

Cendaer
10-15-2010, 11:55 AM
See the following link for the updated list. This thread is a throwback to before the forum modifications. Apologies for bumping it again.

The Updated Unavailable Arcane Scrolls thread. (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=305790)

bradleyforrest
10-15-2010, 03:43 PM
Good list, but you might have wanted to wait until next week to post it, just in case Gust of Wind and Cyclonic Blast aren't available anywhere

insaneuou
10-16-2010, 12:31 AM
Thank you very much for the detailed list..

I always wondered if any of you wizards ever use some of the spells like, symbol of XXXXXX, Power word:Kill, M.Disjuction. If yes when and where I would love to know and try them.

Jaid314
10-16-2010, 02:14 AM

I always wondered if any of you wizards ever use some of the spells like, symbol of XXXXXX, Power word:Kill, M.Disjuction. If yes when and where I would love to know and try them.

because of hit point inflation in DDO, power word kill is like some sort of sick joke. if you can find a mob with such low hit points, odds are good that by the time you even notice it's already been smacked for triple that amount by some random melee guy who just spent his time getting it to that point. i suppose you *could* spend 50 spell points to take the kill for absolutely no reason whatsoever, but you'd probably have better luck lobbing a meteor swarm and hoping one of the nearby mobs is about to die if you're *that* desperate to steal someone's kills.

for the same reason, symbol of death is garbage. some of the other symbols aren't completely horrible, but based on the cooldown for when i was testing symbol of stunning on my sorcerer, using them anywhere near "often" isn't likely to happen. (105 second cooldown, if you're wondering)

disjunction, not sure. i'm told boss types are too hard to disjunct.

Pfold
10-18-2010, 03:22 AM
Awesome post. Thank you for doing the work for us :) +1

FlyingTurtle
10-18-2010, 08:21 AM
Can someone explain again how to get the necromantic scrolls, e.g. Death Aura, Necrotic Ray.

Something to do with collectibles and a collector, but I'm not sure which ones and where.

shagath
10-18-2010, 09:25 AM
In addition, the following two scrolls are available at the NPC merchant in The Portable Hole, however, you won't be able to go there and buy them until you reach level 9, and can Teleport to that location.
Master's Touch (http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/Spell:Master%27s_Touch)
Merfolk's Blessing (http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/Spell:Merfolk%27s_Blessing)You can scroll teleport, and get there before level 9 if you just buy scrolls and scroll it. I usually start teleporting at level 8.

Cendaer
10-18-2010, 10:14 AM
You can scroll teleport, and get there before level 9 if you just buy scrolls and scroll it. I usually start teleporting at level 8.

Good idea shagath! +1!

I didn't even think of that! Probably because I've been playing so long, and now I mostly use my haggle-bots to buy scrolls and inscription materials for my new Wizards.

Rusty_Can
10-18-2010, 10:41 AM
You can scroll teleport, and get there before level 9 if you just buy scrolls and scroll it. I usually start teleporting at level 8.

You can also ask a lift (Greater Teleport) from a friendly high-level arcane caster or UMD user.

TheDearLeader
10-18-2010, 10:53 AM
I likes it. Nicely compiled. +1 to ya :)

It was my impression that most of the low-level scrolls cannot be purchased via standard vendors because they had game-breaking capabilities (such as DDoor and Wall of Fire).

I will effort to use this list as a reference to casters, especially wizards, as to what spells they should and should not train as they level, based on availability.

TEcarson
10-18-2010, 10:09 PM
Nice list.

When running my TR Wiz, I keep this page open in the background (http://ddowiki.com/page/Scrolls) and reference it any time I am looking at scrolls in chests or when I am offered scrolls from others.

Cheers

Cendaer
10-19-2010, 10:57 AM
It was my impression that most of the low-level scrolls cannot be purchased via standard vendors because they had game-breaking capabilities (such as DDoor and Wall of Fire).

I'm not too sure what the *complete* list of scrolls is anymore, since I haven't been keeping up with the availability of divine scrolls over the last year or more.

However, in my notes (from when they originally removed certain scrolls from NPC merchants' inventories), I also have:

Blade Barrier
Glyph of Warding
Glyph of Warding, Greater

Indeed, the spells, for which scrolls are not sold by NPCs, were removed a looong time ago because they were being heavily used as a means to "buy" your way through a quest. If you had enough gold, you could use stacks upon stacks upon stacks of scrolls if you wanted to, leaving you lots and lots and lots of spell points to use for other spells.

Lorien_the_First_One
10-19-2010, 11:06 AM
A good suggestion in general for wizards....

1) BEFORE you level up, buy and inscribe all scrolls from the vendor (they won't show on your spell list, but honest it works)
2) Inscribe any spells from scrolls you have collected from chests
3) When you level up, you will now only be shown the spells you have not inscribed

This ensures that you get everything you can inscribe first and only use the trainer for spells where you have no inscription options

Winter_storm
10-19-2010, 08:28 PM
A good suggestion in general for wizards....

1) BEFORE you level up, buy and inscribe all scrolls from the vendor (they won't show on your spell list, but honest it works)
2) Inscribe any spells from scrolls you have collected from chests
3) When you level up, you will now only be shown the spells you have not inscribed

This ensures that you get everything you can inscribe first and only use the trainer for spells where you have no inscription options

+1

I found this out by trying it once to see if it would work and it does. Its sad you don't know what you've inscribed until you get to that spell lvl.

Chaosprism
10-19-2010, 08:47 PM
Can someone explain again how to get the necromantic scrolls, e.g. Death Aura, Necrotic Ray.

Something to do with collectibles and a collector, but I'm not sure which ones and where.

Yeah you need to be in UNDEAD form and talk to verisgante in house J, he'll call a buddy that will take certain collectibles to give you necromancy scrolls, potions of inflict wounds.

So only available to level 12 wizard palemasters bascially, the scrolls you get though you can sell on AH or give/trade to other people, they arent bound.

Chaosprism
10-19-2010, 08:50 PM
I'm not too sure what the *complete* list of scrolls is anymore, since I haven't been keeping up with the availability of divine scrolls over the last year or more.

However, in my notes (from when they originally removed certain scrolls from NPC merchants' inventories), I also have:

Blade Barrier
Glyph of Warding
Glyph of Warding, Greater

Indeed, the spells, for which scrolls are not sold by NPCs, were removed a looong time ago because they were being heavily used as a means to "buy" your way through a quest. If you had enough gold, you could use stacks upon stacks upon stacks of scrolls if you wanted to, leaving you lots and lots and lots of spell points to use for other spells.

Those spells are cleric only anyway, for casters: wall of fire, dimension door suffered much the same issue and arent sold any more and must be found or bought from AH or selected at level up.

Cendaer
11-11-2010, 09:21 PM
Has anyone seen scrolls for Gust of Wind or Cyclonic Blast yet?

I've been blasting my way through some level 1-5 content when grouping options have been slow, mostly looking for the lower level Gust of Wind scroll, and have yet to find a scroll for either spell.

Thus far, I've been hitting quests in that range within Stormreach proper, but with no luck. I'm thinking I might have better luck looking outside Stormreach, like Tangleroot, Three Barrel Cove, and maybe the lower level Necropolis stuff?

For Cyclonic Blast, I'm thinking Sorrowdusk (Greymoon/Co6) might provide my best chances? Perhaps Stormcleave and Threnal?

The character I've been running lately has been doing lots of Gianthold and Sands lately, and I haven't seen a scroll for either drop there yet.

Anyone else having any luck finding scrolls for these two spells?

Grecan
11-11-2010, 09:34 PM
There is also such a section on this page: http://ddowiki.com/page/Scrolls
Arcane scrolls not available from vendors (http://ddowiki.com/page/Scrolls#Arcane_scrolls_not_available_from_vendors)

Kourier
04-29-2011, 06:37 PM
Should add the new Scorch, Eladar's Electric Surge, and Niac's Biting Cold to the list.

Bump anyway for a useful thread.

Aragorn41
04-29-2011, 06:57 PM
Yeah you need to be in UNDEAD form and talk to verisgante in house J, he'll call a buddy that will take certain collectibles to give you necromancy scrolls, potions of inflict wounds.

So only available to level 12 wizard palemasters bascially, the scrolls you get though you can sell on AH or give/trade to other people, they arent bound.

Actually with Update 9 and Zombie form, you should be able to talk to Verisgante at level 6 when you get zombie form to get both scrolls and potions.

Cendaer
04-30-2011, 02:08 AM
Should add the new Scorch, Eladar's Electric Surge, and Niac's Biting Cold to the list.

Bump anyway for a useful thread.

Freaky part is... I updated it last night, added another post to the bottom of the thread regarding finding new scrolls dropping in the Harbinger story-arc...and apparently the edit I did vaporized, but the thread still bumped to the top...
:confused:

Guess I'll try adding the new ones again.

notyetdead
01-23-2012, 08:42 PM

I am a pale master and power word kill is part of my daily list of "never-swap-out" i'm not overly familiar with the other symbols I admit but to help out my DPSers i use symbol of weakness to reduce a mobs chance to hit and damage at the same time for them. as for the M.D. every caster runs out of SP at some time disjunction buys me 10 minutes to find a shrine *I appologize I confused disjuntion and have never actually used it