PDA

View Full Version : Jewel of Fortune

sloppydragon
10-14-2010, 07:28 PM
OK, let me see if I've got this straight, a Jewel of Fortune is just a +1 level-up on a single character's loot, right? So, if I'm a level 5 rogue, who just went through Shan-To-Kor with 5 of my friends; then all a Jewel of Fortune will do is give me a level 6 rouge loot, and do nothing for the rest of the party? That's kind of a rip-off.

Here's the real problem; I have insanely horrible luck. One day, my friends were DETERMINED to help me get a Ring of Feathers. In a single afternoon, we re-ran Shan-To-Kor over 20 times and NEVER found a Ring of Feathers. With 5 of us running the dungeon, that's over 100 end chest rewards and not one ring.

On the flip side, I know several people that have gotten the ring on their first or second run.

What I need, and I expect a lot of people would love, is the ability to increase the odds in finding rare drops.

How about this... For 100 DDO Store Points, a "Luck Gem" will give a 25% bonus to find rare items for 3 hours.

For Turbine, that means more DDO Store purchases. For the players, it means a better chance at drops.

helicalius
10-15-2010, 10:49 AM
terrible just terrible idea. i dont care how much you want your ring you can just buy it or live without it. also farming the same chest gets it ransaked and im not sure about my next statement but i guess that the more a chest is ransaked the less chance that you will get a rare item. the ransaked system was incorporated against farming style gameplay. so its your fault accually. regardless its a terrible idea to make rare items drop more often for people who have money period, rich people get all the ladies and all the nice plasma tvs and stuff so why give them ddo as well?

flynnjsw
10-15-2010, 10:53 AM
/not signed

Rares are supposed to be just that, rare. If you don't find that single item, move on to something else. There is 1 more item from WW that is a ML4 Feather Fall item, try there. FF items are really not that rare as a whole anyway.

Janth
10-15-2010, 11:05 AM
OK, let me see if I've got this straight, a Jewel of Fortune is just a +1 level-up on a single character's loot, right? So, if I'm a level 5 rogue, who just went through Shan-To-Kor with 5 of my friends; then all a Jewel of Fortune will do is give me a level 6 rouge loot, and do nothing for the rest of the party?

The loot in the chests is determined by combination of the level of the quest and the difficulty setting, not the level of the character opening them. The Jewel adds +1 to this level. My question is... does running a quest on elite with a loot gem not increase your chance of a rare drop? Just curious.

Woody00
10-15-2010, 11:11 AM
/not signed

Rares are supposed to be just that, rare. If you don't find that single item, move on to something else. There is 1 more item from WW that is a ML4 Feather Fall item, try there. FF items are really not that rare as a whole anyway.

The featerfalling boots for the end reward from Waterworks are actually a no ML item. Pretty handy twink item and a little easier to farm for than the StK ring imo.

k1ngp1n
10-15-2010, 11:17 AM
The loot in the chests is determined by combination of the level of the quest and the difficulty setting, not the level of the character opening them. The Jewel adds +1 to this level. My question is... does running a quest on elite with a loot gem not increase your chance of a rare drop? Just curious.

It bumps the current chest level by 1. That means, essentially, it evens out odds (loot tables increment every 2 chest levels - kinda like how stats work. If running the quest on elite results in a given chest having an odd chest level, then yes, it will work.

Loot gems are plenty powerful: they allow you get pull +2 tomes in vale explorers!

As far as the OP: No.

flynnjsw
10-15-2010, 11:23 AM
The featerfalling boots for the end reward from Waterworks are actually a no ML item. Pretty handy twink item and a little easier to farm for than the StK ring imo.

D'uh, I have a couple pairs myself so not sure how I forgot they we no ML.

Woody00
10-15-2010, 12:46 PM
D'uh, I have a couple pairs myself so not sure how I forgot they we no ML.

Prolly for two reasons:

1. They are not named. They are just Feather Falling boots. They are BtA though.

2. iirc, naked feather falling boots are ML 5.

I had to log on to my baby fighter to double check that they are no ML so no worries.

Garbudo
10-15-2010, 12:49 PM
ring of feathers ='s Garbage the first time you repair that piece of paper it will have permanent damage on it my advice wait till level 5 pick up a pair of FeatherFalling boots as a end reward in house K You usually always get one if you grind that so needed house K favor for your 40 extra bank slots and those level 5 boots will survive more than one toon :) ring of feathers will not survive level 10

Jamma
10-15-2010, 12:57 PM

With a couple of exceptions (all newer quests), the difficulty does not affect the drop rate of named items.

Fomori
10-15-2010, 01:03 PM
It bumps the current chest level by 1. That means, essentially, it evens out odds (loot tables increment every 2 chest levels - kinda like how stats work. If running the quest on elite results in a given chest having an odd chest level, then yes, it will work.

Loot gems are plenty powerful: they allow you get pull +2 tomes in vale explorers!
Considering that your second statement is correct... you may want to reevaluate your first statement. Reavers Refuge drops +2 tomes... level 17 chests. Vale does not drop +2 tomes, level 16 chests. If your odd chest level theory was correct the Vale, Vale +1, Reavers would not work as they do.

Loromir
10-15-2010, 01:06 PM
I farmed for it several months ago, before I realized there are tons of other FF items out there. I found 3 and sold them all for an average of 60,000 PP each. Since then I have looted a coulple of FF rings from other locations later, and have found some on the AH for 5,000 PP and up.

What exactly makes the Ring of Feathers so special?

Woody00
10-15-2010, 01:09 PM
I farmed for it several months ago, before I realized there are tons of other FF items out there. I found 3 and sold them all for an average of 60,000 PP each. Since then I have looted a coulple of FF rings from other locations later, and have found some on the AH for 5,000 PP and up.

What exactly makes the Ring of Feathers so special?

Its a no ML item. So its pretty handy to twink a new toon with. Otherwise you're waiting till lvl 5 for a naked FF item. Not a big deal for a new toon but for a TR or multi TR when it takes a bit of time to hit lvl5 they are quite handy.

sloppydragon
10-15-2010, 03:39 PM
Wow. Some great comments here.

I really only used the RoF as an example. I've found a bunch of other FF items, so the ring in itself isn't worthwhile. But I often return to StK when bored just to see if I can get one.

However, this is also a common frustration with "Rare Encounters" in wilderness areas as well as with unique loot. Of the 20 or so wilderness areas, I think I've got all of the encounters on about 6 of them.

I admit that this makes my OCD go spastic and I get twitchy because every dungeon isn't "elite" and every explore isn't 100%. Which is probably why I'm obsessed with this issue.

@helicalius, I had no idea about the ransack value, but if I HAD gotten a ring, then I wouldn't have kept going back. I'm not interested in farming. At first, it was about the chase, the desire to accomplish the acquisition. After failing so many times, it became an experiment to see how many times it WOULD take to get it and to figure out the odds. Now, it's a joke. When we run Gianthold or Vale of Twilight and hit ZERO rares, then "it's the StK curse".

If turbine is going to keep track of the number of times that a specific toon has run a quest or explore, then why not add a few more data points and keep track of epic drops and encounters. That way, on my 30th time through Red Fens, the game would increase the chance of an encounter. Once a toon has the rares, then set the rare/drop_rate to zero to prevent farming.

Turbine has a difficult balancing act. How to make things "fair" while keeping it challenging, while making money, while keeping players happy. I don't envy them in that regard.

So while allowing "rich" people to buy percentile gems isn't fair to the free players, farming isn't fair to unlucky players. There is no perfect solution, but I think that a "Luck Gem" would at least help in most respects. By putting it in the DDO store, it creates revenue for Turbine, helps unlucky people find epic drops, and would make a lot of players happy.

GBantaR
10-15-2010, 03:42 PM
/not signed

Much better worded/less inflammatory than helicalius. Sorry OP, rares are supposed to be rare. A lot of people complain about it, but the thing is: not EVERYONE is supposed to have the uber-items. If there were any way of increasing the chance of item drops, it would be super-exploited and everyone would have them.

Barumar
10-15-2010, 03:47 PM
How about this... For 100 DDO Store Points, a "Luck Gem" will give a 25% bonus to find rare items for 3 hours.

For Turbine, that means more DDO Store purchases. For the players, it means a better chance at drops.

I too think this is a terrible idea.

Ring of Feathers drop rate (NEVER pulled one myself, and done STK hundred or more times) drop rate is probably 1 in 100.

You and the group you ran it with were unlucky.

Paying for an imporved chance to get loot (Rare drop or Raid loot) is a direction I hope Turbine does NOT go with their Store!

I hope their Marketing 'people' do NOT see this thread :eek:.

Barumar

Jay203
10-15-2010, 03:50 PM
i don't even use my ring of feathers anymore
in fact, i've given like 3 of them out already
check with your local veterans to see if they still want theirs :p

Uska
10-15-2010, 03:53 PM
given dozens of RoF away and if your on the right server could probaly toss you one and a bottle of air as well

dormetheus
10-15-2010, 04:08 PM
I pulled the RoF before they reduced the drop rate. In all the times I've run StK since, I've seen VERY FEW ( < 5) drop for ANYBODY.

It's only rare because it's a ring slot (so you don't have to switch out your FF for strider's). My advice?

Get some regular FF boots until you get the bat from Co6

Jaid314
10-15-2010, 05:12 PM
I pulled the RoF before they reduced the drop rate. In all the times I've run StK since, I've seen VERY FEW ( < 5) drop for ANYBODY.

It's only rare because it's a ring slot (so you don't have to switch out your FF for strider's). My advice?

Get some regular FF boots until you get the bat from Co6

funny. my advice is to just get a clicky, it's generally just as useful most of the time. i only wear feather falling boots on characters that don't have a different use for the boot slot atm... it just isn't really necessary very often. 9 times out of 10, when it *is* useful it's something you can just use a clicky for it anyways. (i suppose if you run the pit a lot, always-on might be pretty important for that. otherwise, for most quests i find that i can typically just use regular boots. especially on characters with good tumble skill...)

IanYang
10-15-2010, 10:18 PM
A chest will become ransacked if you open it 7 times within 7 days (168 hours). When a chest is in ransacked state, named items won't appear.

You can refer to the explanation on DDO wiki (http://ddowiki.com/page/Ransack).

dormetheus
10-16-2010, 10:07 PM
funny. my advice is to just get a clicky, it's generally just as useful most of the time. i only wear feather falling boots on characters that don't have a different use for the boot slot atm... it just isn't really necessary very often. 9 times out of 10, when it *is* useful it's something you can just use a clicky for it anyways. (i suppose if you run the pit a lot, always-on might be pretty important for that. otherwise, for most quests i find that i can typically just use regular boots. especially on characters with good tumble skill...)

Sure, but there's not much else to put in the boot slot in low-mid levels except strider's, FF, and jump.

shagath
10-16-2010, 10:18 PM
Strange, didn't even know this ff ring from stk is rare. Dropped on my last 2 runs both times. Solo ran for favor h/e.

/not signed
Rare means rare. Of course some people would like to get everything with first tries but it's more rewarding to actually find something that is considered rare and not everyone has it.

KillEveryone
10-16-2010, 10:26 PM
also farming the same chest gets it ransaked and im not sure about my next statement but i guess that the more a chest is ransaked the less chance that you will get a rare item. the ransaked system was incorporated against farming style gameplay. so its your fault accually. regardless its a terrible idea to make rare items drop more often for people who have money period, rich people get all the ladies and all the nice plasma tvs and stuff so why give them ddo as well?

Ransack was implemented so that you can't farm a chest constantly every minute of every day until you got your item.

As far as I know, once you get the ransack message, named items won't have a chance to appear in that chest until a week after from when you first opened that chest. So...if you opened the chest on Monday, you can hit that chest every day for the rest of the week and doing enough runs on that chest on Friday to get the ransack message and next Monday, you can start farming that chest again and have a chance at loot. There will be no penalty to getting that item in that chest until you hit the ransack message during your farming runs.

The only penalty to trying to get something is when you actually hit ransack. Once you've ransacked that chest, no named item is going to appear until the timer is reset as far as I know.

--------------
I don't agree with the jewel of fortune suggestion.

Just work for what you want. You'll eventually get it.

Really powerful stuff shouldn't be too easily gained. Not a fan of the grind myself and wish there was a better mechanism to create a challenge to getting your special loot rather than a grind, but I don't think something purchased in the store should give you a better chance at getting named loot.

Waukeen
10-16-2010, 10:32 PM
OK, let me see if I've got this straight, a Jewel of Fortune is just a +1 level-up on a single character's loot, right? So, if I'm a level 5 rogue, who just went through Shan-To-Kor with 5 of my friends; then all a Jewel of Fortune will do is give me a level 6 rouge loot, and do nothing for the rest of the party? That's kind of a rip-off.

Here's the real problem; I have insanely horrible luck. One day, my friends were DETERMINED to help me get a Ring of Feathers. In a single afternoon, we re-ran Shan-To-Kor over 20 times and NEVER found a Ring of Feathers. With 5 of us running the dungeon, that's over 100 end chest rewards and not one ring.

On the flip side, I know several people that have gotten the ring on their first or second run.

What I need, and I expect a lot of people would love, is the ability to increase the odds in finding rare drops.

No.

if you dont like it.

dont buy it.

loot gems are cheap for a reason,

the boost is small and disregarded by many.

maybe they should just sell named items in the store staight up?

that would be a money maker and a time saver!!!

pfft.