PDA

View Full Version : Metamagic Feats

Hoglum
10-12-2010, 10:09 AM
I’ve read here and there that people may want meta magic feats to be assigned to specific spells in addition to having metamagics being either turned on or off at a given time. I agree this would be helpful. This post is an attempt at suggesting a possible method to do it. First, create a tab in the character sheet right after spells and call it “Metamagics” or something similar. The tab will show a list of all spells the character has loaded, with a + sign in front of each name and slots after the spell. On the side or top, there can be icons with each metamagic feat the character possesses. Thus, the spell list could look something like this:

+Shield [Box] [Box] [Box]

+Magic Missile [Box] [Box] [Box]

+Burning Hands [Box] [Box] [Box]

If you click on the “+” sign in front of a spell (in this case, magic missile), it creates a duplicate of the spell, so you would have:

+Shield [Box] [Box] [Box]

-Magic Missile [Box] [Box] [Box]

+Burning Hands [Box] [Box] [Box]

Note that the second Magic Missile has a “-“ sign in front of it. If you click the “-“ sign, that duplicate spell disappears. You can then drag the metamagic feats into the boxes and assign them to each spell, so you might have:

-Magic Missile [Empower] [Box] [Box]

-Magic Missile [Empower] [Quicken] [Maximize]

So, now you have a regular magic missile, an empowered MM, and an empowered, quickened, maximized MM. On the top or bottom of the tab, there can be green slots similar to weapon combinations. The spells can now be dragged into those green slots which can in turn be dragged into the hot keys. So, the option on the hot keys will show three MMs ready to be cast. The caster then has an option to choose three different powered MMs without having to turn on/off metamagic feats. There can be perhaps two bars of 10 green slots for a total of 20 specialized spells that ignore whether or not you have metagamics turned on or off in general. That would fill up two hot key bars and allow for easier power selection depending on situation. Not sure if anyone else had this same suggestion, so if anyone reading did, I didn’t mean to steal the idea. I’m sure it’s not entirely original, but I would love to see this in the game. I find it most difficult dealing with turning on and off metamagics and if I forget to turn them off when I don’t need the power, I tend to burn through valuable spellpoints way too fast. Having the option to hotkey various power levels for spells would be incredibly useful.

Thanks for listening (reading). Game on.

Jaid314
10-12-2010, 01:54 PM
this would be very, very much appreciated. i don't need 40 minutes of greater heroism most of the time. but i almost always want my haste, displacement, and rage to be extended.

Tobril
10-12-2010, 01:56 PM
/signed

This would be really nice.

Vellrad
10-12-2010, 02:02 PM
/signed

BTW, u could write "Like in Temple of Elementar Evil" at the beginning, so I could skip the reading.

But, because its exactly like in ToEE, I think its the next reason Turbine won't add this.
The others are: they don't like casters, they don't want to wste time on this, they may don't know how to code this, they might just dont want it in teir game.

Hoglum
10-12-2010, 04:26 PM
I didn't know this was exactly how it's done in "Temple of Elemental Evil". I would hope there's no problem with copyrights or such concerning the software coding. It makes sense, though, & if it's used in another game, it must be possible. I believe people would like it and I know for sure I would. I have the ability to easily switch between sword & shield to two weapons, etc. in this game. It would be nice to have the same capability with spell power.

Jaid314
10-12-2010, 06:27 PM
i'm fairly certain the concept could not be copyrighted, though obviously it would be something turbine should ask an actual lawyer about before going ahead and doing it. but i do think it would be very helpful.

Ybbald
10-12-2010, 08:41 PM
I like your idea for allowing multiple versions of a spell

If it's a small fight, a firewall will do
If we suddenly have lots of mobs on us, I'll want it maximised

Schwarzie
10-13-2010, 06:35 AM
/signed

My Cleric would love to let heighten stay on ithout the extra cost for Heal...

FuzzyDuck81
10-13-2010, 06:55 AM
/signed

would save a lot of annoying SP waste from keeping them always-on, or the hassle for selectivly toggling them

BurningDownTheHouse
10-13-2010, 07:11 AM
Any suggestion that will make managing metamagic toggles less annoying is welcome by me.
/signed

kruggh_ddo
10-13-2010, 07:18 AM
/signed

it would really make my wizard life easier !

BrightAsh
02-02-2011, 07:07 AM
Well, kicking this one out of the forum graveyards, but since i just started playing an archmage i ran into the problems described as above:

I realy annoyed myself by accidently casting some maximized empowerd extended firewalls, burning about 80 SP as a mistake... I have maximized and empower on to make the spell like abilities (like magic missle) usefull. However, I dont want to cast everything Maximized Empowered (and extended for that matter). But it is to much hassle to keep selecting and unselecting the metamagics you want at any given moment. Not to mention the lack of time when swarmed by a horde of dread zombies or whatnot.

So i started to figure how to improve this and Hoglum beat me to it (by 7 months) by saying very sensible things :) The "weapon slots" for spells seems like a brilliant idea. That way my archmage would still be able to pinch of a fast empowered maximized magic missle (spell like ability) and throw out a normal Fire Wall. which is a total of 26 SP instead of 81 SP. It might not seem as much as a problem. But make the mistake twice or thee times in a quest and you could be in serious trouble.

I wonder, are there any con's against this idea?

Falith12
02-02-2011, 08:20 AM
/signed

This would make everything so much easier!

lets hope the DEV's listen