PDA

View Full Version : Where is the Tarrasque

deltargon
10-12-2010, 09:46 AM
The title says it all.
;)

I am fairly new to DDO, and i must say that this game is arguably the best D&D based computer game ever made.
The fact that it is regularly updated and kept up is a very good sign that this game will be around for a while.
That being said i have a few suggestions.

1) Tarrasque: nothing from my PnP days excited me more than trying to cut him into little pieces.

2) Druid: where is he?

3) Playable Evil Alignment: maybe even quests based on it.

reply and let me know what you think. :)

Legohaiden
10-12-2010, 09:47 AM
The title says it all.
;)

I am fairly new to DDO, and i must say that this game is arguably the best D&D based computer game ever made.
The fact that it is regularly updated and kept up is a very good sign that this game will be around for a while.

1) Tarrasque: nothing from my PnP days excited me more than trying to cut him into little pieces.

2) Druid: where is he? Its coming... some day.

3) Playable Evil Alignment: maybe even quests based on it. Never going to happen.

that is all :)

Otherworld
10-12-2010, 09:48 AM
You just named some of the things asked by most people:

1) More badass mobs
2)druids
3)evil

EDIT: There's one quest where you can be quite evil. Purging the heretics in house p. Death to the unbelievers! lol

Templarion
10-12-2010, 09:49 AM
I would not say DDO is the best D&D game out there but of course, it is your opinion.

Kale_Hagan
10-12-2010, 09:53 AM
In my opinion the Tarrasque was a ridiculous monster to put up against a party. When my brothers and I created our own game world we went so far as to explain why there isn't one in our world.

He was taken to negative hp and teleported to the bottom of the ocean. Since he would continually be drowning, he would never regain positive hp. He would also be taking constant crushing damage.

Other mobs, like some of the demon princes like Demigorgon - sure, lemme at him! The tarrasque? product of a weak, unimaginitive mind. (IMHO of course).

katana_one
10-12-2010, 09:57 AM
Didn't the Tarrasque first appear in Forgotten Realms? If so, I'm quite happy to leave it there.

Ashiel_Dragmire
10-12-2010, 09:58 AM
I too, want the mighty tarrasque. It could easily be an end-game raid boss for a quest that isn't on another plane of existence.

Qezuzu
10-12-2010, 10:01 AM
You defeat the Tarrasque by leading it into a canyon with 6000 megatons of explosives on the floors and walls. Then blowing it up.

Otherworld
10-12-2010, 10:03 AM
You defeat the Tarrasque by leading it into a canyon with 6000 megatons of explosives on the floors and walls. Then blowing it up.

You sure that's enough?

Qezuzu
10-12-2010, 10:05 AM
Then have a platoon of hundreds of archers with highly explosive arrow/gernades volley it for several minutes. Put them on a floating ship too.

Then fill the ship up with lava and crash it into the Tarrasque.

Otherworld
10-12-2010, 10:11 AM
Then have a platoon of hundreds of archers with highly explosive arrow/gernades volley it for several minutes. Put them on a floating ship too.

Then fill the ship up with lava and crash it into the Tarrasque.

The tarrasque can be slain only by raising its nonlethal damage total to its full normal hit points +10 (or 868 hit points) and using a wish or miracle spell to keep it dead.

from the d20srd.

Meaning there's only few ways of killing one.

Memnir
10-12-2010, 10:13 AM
Meh... I always saw the Tarrasque as lazy DMing. Stuck for an idea on how to challenge high level characters? Time to roll out Big T. I'd hope Turbine has better/more interesting ideas then that.

If they do roll it out, I'll happily beat it down. But, it has always struck me as a "the well's gone dry" sort of encounter.

In development. Maybe next year, but I've pretty much given up on seeing them before my interest in the game bottoms out.

The Devs have said many times that this is not going to happen for a number of reasons.

Ashurr
10-12-2010, 01:00 PM
The Tarrasque pretty much became obsolete when the Epic level handbook came out - simply create an Epic level spell that erases the Tarrasque's existence.

Tobril
10-12-2010, 01:10 PM
1 - He's behind you, don't turn around! *trips the OP and continues running*

2 - "Soon"

3 - Nope

Mobeius
10-12-2010, 01:19 PM
Well were is the Purple Worm? Owl Bears? Feyr? Death Knights? Displacer Beasts?

I could go on about a number of iconic DnD mobs not in game I would like to see. However, I can't answer why they are not in as I think that has been asked a lot. Heck it might even have been answered by a dev many moons ago and I didnt see it.

Back to the Tarrasque... They would have to boost him to ungodly nastiness for the DDO enviroment.

But keep hope... at one time in DDO we didnt have Orcs to fight at all!

Fomori
10-12-2010, 01:31 PM
Talking about bringing in The Tarrasque is a lot like talking about what would happen if you ran into Cthulhu. Someone in my gaming group once said years ago "I'd Nuke him". Another person piped up, "Sure then he'll just reform d10 turns later as Radioactive Cthulhu. Good job there."

noinfo
10-12-2010, 01:37 PM
The title says it all.
;)

We would be in a lot of trouble since none of us has wish or miracle :D

Garbudo
10-12-2010, 01:44 PM
Yeah after clearing out the book of VD hahaha no no The Book of Vile Darkness the only thing left is the big T and he was a chump at that point, but I would love to see someone Evil wielding that Ruby Rod of Asmodeus! It would just be a Shocker the first time you were to do that raid and your like 5%! he is almost down then 0% WhAaAaA? he is back at 100%! (its as if he used a rest shrine?)

Phidius
10-12-2010, 01:52 PM
EDIT: There's one quest where you can be quite lawful. Purging the heretics in house p. Death to the unbelievers! lol

Fixed that for you.

Vellrad
10-12-2010, 02:11 PM
Fixed that for you.

Wrongly fixed.
Lawful or not slaying good clerics and their good followers is still bad thing, and its evil.

thwart
10-12-2010, 02:16 PM
Wrongly fixed.
Lawful or not slaying good clerics and their good followers is still bad thing, and its evil.

But aren't they the wrong kind of good? Therefore, it is ok. Besides, everytime I do that quest, I go in just wanting to make peace and I am attacked as soon as they see me. Therefore, it is self defense!

Maxelcat
10-12-2010, 02:16 PM
1) there are no more tarasques, Pun Pun killed them all.

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=279167

Vellrad
10-12-2010, 05:43 PM
But aren't they the wrong kind of good? Therefore, it is ok. Besides, everytime I do that quest, I go in just wanting to make peace and I am attacked as soon as they see me. Therefore, it is self defense!

I don't want to argue, but well, if I see 6 people armed to teeth in my house (ok, in my sewer in this case) I would call them attackers, and myself as defender. Especially, when they are hired to kill someone who feed me, gave me shelter etc.

Waukeen
10-12-2010, 05:44 PM
Kyber.

AyumiAmakusa
10-12-2010, 05:46 PM
1) Hiding, he is aware of the sheer number of people out for his head.
2) Hiding with the Tarrasque. He's afraid of what you people (i.e. us) will do to him once they get their hands on him.
3) Yes, if players b**ch about it long enough.

der_kluge
10-12-2010, 05:49 PM
As per the SRD, I'm not sure a Tarrasque could be killed using conventional methods - which is all DDO has to really offer in terms of a combat experience. I can't, for example, go ethereal carrying a bunch of halberds and pikes, enter the brain of the Tarrasque, and leave all the weapons there, and then exit out the other side. Dead Tarrasque.

In DDO, you'd have to have a party of something like 10 DPS characters just wailing on it, and two full time healers keeping them alive. Holy boring, Batman! No thanks.

Druids. I expect we'll see them next year. I see a lot of changes in the game building up to them.

I can't see them allowing evil alignments. The game assumes you are a hero, not a villain.

Hobbelin
10-12-2010, 05:53 PM
The title says it all.
;)

:)

Hmmm... Baldur's Gate II anyone? Before Throne of Bhaal that is. The game just became ridiculous then.

Vellrad
10-12-2010, 05:59 PM
Hmmm... Baldur's Gate II anyone? Before Throne of Bhaal that is. The game just became ridiculous then.

BG2 is cool, but its just to easy. First 2 or 3 hours and I get lv 14 (starting at lv9)
And the story- I have stolen your soul bwahahaha. Wait, should I still move without my soul? Shouldn't I be a like a plant or something?

If you wanted best D&D game its definatly BG1 for story and overall effect.
If you wanted best D&D game its Temple of Elemental Evil, for best (most accurate) translation of D&D rules into a computer.

donfilibuster
10-12-2010, 06:21 PM
The existence of high lv power and epic is not for granted, most settings have history timelines in which ancient monsters and deities were fought with ancient magic and epic magic arose from it.
According to the few tales on various books about the tarrasque it was a challenge for your tipical arcane senior or master wizards and archmages.
Beating it tipically involved cooperative magic which later on would become the rituals for epic magic.

This was the case with the story about the mantle of the archmages, where they had it trapped by the combined power of several archmages, while the lower rank mages gave their lives to 'distract' the monster while they worked.
Seeing none of them would survive, along with their 'lost age magic', they put their remaining power on crafting said mantle in case some villain would think of freeing it.
The hero in the story wasn't an archmage, so had no level for wish.
All they had was a scroll of limited wish, being a low magic campaign, thus certainly not an easy task.
He had to convice the villain so they cast two limited wishes in sync to keep the beast dead.

The tarrasque was thus the most powerful monster the heroes would find before epic or divine quests.
The wish or miracle were the most powerful spell on the book and one alone still not enough to destroy the beast.
Later on you had forgotten realms with high magic and high level challenges and no villain want to wake the tarrasque anymore.

Now we don't have wish in ddo, so only entrapment is available. Then again, villains in eberron have other options.
Invoking and allying with outsiders seems to be preferred and largely available, which won't lead to an uncontrolled rampage.
These days the villains plots no longer involve destroying the world just to rule over the scarred remains.

Falco_Easts
10-12-2010, 09:34 PM
Wrongly fixed.

That's a very narrow view. In some cultures it is illegal to kiss in public. Does that make it wrong to do so? What about the cultures where a woman who has been raped is killed. To us that is evil, to them that is the way of things.

I am not arguing what is right or wrong, merely different cultures and beliefs have different idea's on what is evil.

xxScoobyDooxx
10-12-2010, 09:54 PM
Party member 1 ... stops puts on striding 30 boots and castes haste on himself.

Party member 2 ... stops and says why bother the Tarrasque can move at 60 we'll never outrun him

Party member 1 ... starts running again casts grease behind him and yells I know I can't outrun him but I only need to outrun you :)

Elmaster_Thay
10-12-2010, 10:07 PM
As per the SRD, I'm not sure a Tarrasque could be killed using conventional methods -
Polymorph the tarrasque into a squirrel (it has no special defense against transmutation), put the squirrel into a bag of holding and puncture it. Dead Tarrasque.
That is assuming you want to kill it for some reason... it has no special defense against mind affecting spells either...
Dominate monster, polymorph into a squirrel and laugh at anyone taking improved familiar, because you just got the best one in the world... as long as you remember to avoid the dead magic areas...

Mobeius
10-12-2010, 10:08 PM
That's a very narrow view. In some cultures it is illegal to kiss in public. Does that make it wrong to do so? What about the cultures where a woman who has been raped is killed. To us that is evil, to them that is the way of things.

I am not arguing what is right or wrong, merely different cultures and beliefs have different idea's on what is evil.

Well that is something very philosophical in nature and generally a good debate but in the moderate general consesus, killing is bad M'kayyyy...

More over, in the DnD universe there are things that are considered inherently evil and good and while DDO doesnt make players face those restrictions, then general consesus is that "snuffing of life forces" is not neccessarily an evil attack, especially from a foe. However, they allow undead to cast light spells in DDO too.

sweez
10-12-2010, 10:32 PM
1) there are no more tarasques, Pun Pun killed them all.

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=279167

Attack damage: 4d8+17, 1d10+8, 1d10+8, 1d12+8, 1d12+8, 3d8+8.
All attacks have at least +52 to-hit. You can forget about armor.

Woot Tarrasque is a gimp, 70+ AC and you're rollin. Bring him on.

Mobeius
10-12-2010, 10:41 PM
Attack damage: 4d8+17, 1d10+8, 1d10+8, 1d12+8, 1d12+8, 3d8+8.
All attacks have at least +52 to-hit. You can forget about armor.

Woot Tarrasque is a gimp, 70+ AC and you're rollin. Bring him on.

I would certainly hope the Terrasque would be translated to DDO a little differently considering how sprueced up PC chars are comparitvely.

LordPiglet
10-12-2010, 10:54 PM
Wrongly fixed.

Depends on some factors.

Like my paladin, who didn't run that quest specifically because they are a follower of the Sovereign host

Tom318
10-13-2010, 08:20 AM
Party member 1 ... stops puts on striding 30 boots and castes haste on himself.

Party member 2 ... stops and says why bother the Tarrasque can move at 60 we'll never outrun him

Party member 1 ... starts running again casts grease behind him and yells I know I can't outrun him but I only need to outrun you :)

This already happens in Catacombs :)

donfilibuster
10-13-2010, 07:47 PM
Polymorph the tarrasque into a squirrel (it has no special defense against transmutation), put the squirrel into a bag of holding and puncture it. Dead Tarrasque.
Not anymore, in 4e is classified as abomination and these are immune to transmutations.
It is still vulnerable to illusions i gather, which is the number one cause of trapped tarrasques.

Asmodeus451
11-30-2010, 11:58 PM
my metthod of killing a tarrasque: send in 20 dwarven Battleragers wearing their trademark bladed armor, allow the Tarrasque to eat them thoroughly, sit back and watch as bladed armor proceeds to shred tarrasque from inside, ingnoring AC

Woundwolf42
12-01-2010, 12:14 AM
Better one,

Send a Level 1 newly rolled character under the terrasque and have him throw a portable hole into a bag of holding.

Posthumously level him up to 10 and frame his character sheet.

NinetyNineTails
12-01-2010, 01:31 AM
The lack of owlbears and displacer beasts does make me sad.

Zilta
12-01-2010, 01:49 AM
Well that is something very philosophical in nature and generally a good debate but in the moderate general consesus, killing is bad M'kayyyy...

More over, in the DnD universe there are things that are considered inherently evil and good and while DDO doesnt make players face those restrictions, then general consesus is that "snuffing of life forces" is not neccessarily an evil attack, especially from a foe. However, they allow undead to cast light spells in DDO too.

this is eberron, alignment is almost entirely philisophically based.

AzraelDB
12-02-2010, 05:41 AM

You have to remember that in Eberron, there aren't that many "epic" level adventurers. By the story/ECS/whathaveyou, Epic characters are about as rare as the Tarrasque itself. In all honesty, you're more likely to run into a Daelkyr or Lord of Dust than you are the Tarrasque in Eberron. Hrm, there's an idea...

Furthermore, where are my Umberhulks?!?

"Soon" (tm).

Dev's said no a long time ago. They treat this issue like feeding Mogwai after midnight: No matter how much they beg, scream, or cry.

Deaths_ward
12-02-2010, 06:14 AM
I would certainly hope the Terrasque would be translated to DDO a little differently considering how sprueced up PC chars are comparitvely.

Taking a little inspiration from 2nd Ed. Monster Manual on some abilities.
~Cough~
STR: 90
DEX: 12
CON: JEBUS (120)
INT: 4
WIS: 6
CHA: 1 (he's hideous after all)
HP (Post DDO Inflation): 555,555 (on normal) 750,000 (on hard) 1,000,000 (on elite)
To Hit Bonus: 67 on norm and increasing.
Damage: 4d8+45 18-20, All Natural Weapon attacks are vorpal (Claws and Bite).
Special Attacks: Trample-moves rapidly over running everything (Overrun DC=damn it faile/40+), and Consume- Once every 15 seconds someone in range has to make a DC 30 Reflex save or be swallowed into a room kind of like the Reaver's death box, where you have to survive corrosive tummy acid (akin to the not-deep lava, so 5d5+25 every 2 seconds, lasting 10 seconds) if you do you're ****ed out, if not, your stone is.

But that's just off the top of my head.

***Edit***
Upon thinking about. Your stone should stay where it is, and whoever gets swallowed next would have to rescue it and survive.

Vindicatus
12-02-2010, 07:04 AM
Granted, the Tarrasque was a formidable foe in AD&D version 1, where magical items were scarce because classic modules in the level 1-7 range had loot tables akin to Korthos Isle, +4-5 items were as rare as artifacts and characters level 14+ were considered legendary. Then tales were being told of campaigns where +5 items were as common as forum trolls, where individual characters had trespassed The Demonweb Pits and defeated Lolth in single combat and were cruising the cosmos in her spider ship, where Thor was on farm status after each reincarnation and multiple Mjolnirs were in the hands of adventurers who were defeating him by knocking him off the high walls of Asgard with Push spells to inflict critical fall damage. Enter the Quasar Dragon in Dragon Magazine #96.

Quazar Dragon (Draco Godawfulus Armageddonus)

FREQUENCY: Only once
NO. APPEARING: 1 (unique)
ARMOR CLASS: -4000 (equal to sixteen miles of iridium plating)
MOVE: Effectively infinite
HIT DICE: All there are
% IN LAIR: Nil, lives in interstellar space
TREASURE TYPE: Planets may be found in stomach
NO. OF ATTACKS: 1
DAMAGE/ATTACK: One world's worth per bite
SPECIAL ATTACKS: Belch causes 10,000d6 damage to all beings within one million kilometers
SPECIAL DEFENSES: Has no enemies
MAGIC RESISTANCE: Magic? What's that?
INTELLIGENCE: Animal
ALIGNMENT: Perpetually hungry
SIZE: L (120,600 km from nose to tail
PSIONIC ABILITY: Psionics? How do you spell that?

The dreaded Quazar Dragon is actually an alien lifeform that consumes whole worlds to sustain its energy requirements. It is especially attracted to worlds where enormous quantities of magic may be found, and it can detect the presence of such planets from a third of the distance across the Galactic Disk. Such worlds are usually in the terminal stages of what the gods call "The Monty Haul Syndrome" in which a handful of characters has managed to seize control of their entire world's supply of magic items and are busy making even more.

The first clue that a "Monty Haul" world is about to be eaten comes when the characters walk outside their gold-plated +8 castle walls, wearing their +22 platemail of prismatic invulnerability, and see the sun disappear. This is a sure indicator that the Quazar Dragon has opened its 28,260 km wide mouth and is about to swallow the planet whole. The only possible way to save oneself in such a situation is to immediately throw all the magical items one can get hold of into a sphere of annihilation. The Quazar Dragon will take about 12-48 hours to close its mouth, so the characters do have a little lead time. ALL magic, every scrap of it, every teensy weensy itty bitty bit of it, must be destroyed. If this is done, there is a 5% chance the Quazar Dragon will change its mind and not gulp the planet down.

The deities themselves cannot undo or have any say in the actions of the Quazar Dragon, and to be perfectly honest, none of them want to do so. The Quazar Dragon has gotten rid of many planets on which characters dared call themselves the equals of the gods, and the gods are quite pleased with the overall result, even if it does mean having to go back to the drawing board and create another new planet.

The Quazar Dragon has no natural enemies, being immune even to bumping into neutron stars. It uses the vast amount of energy it takes in to launch itself across interstellar space at trans-light velocities, ever searching for another inflated world to have for a light snack.

Deaths_ward
12-02-2010, 04:32 PM
Granted, the Tarrasque was a formidable foe in AD&D version 1, where magical items were scarce because classic modules in the level 1-7 range had loot tables akin to Korthos Isle, +4-5 items were as rare as artifacts and characters level 14+ were considered legendary. Then tales were being told of campaigns where +5 items were as common as forum trolls, where individual characters had trespassed The Demonweb Pits and defeated Lolth in single combat and were cruising the cosmos in her spider ship, where Thor was on farm status after each reincarnation and multiple Mjolnirs were in the hands of adventurers who were defeating him by knocking him off the high walls of Asgard with Push spells to inflict critical fall damage. Enter the Quasar Dragon in Dragon Magazine #96.

Quazar Dragon (Draco Godawfulus Armageddonus)

FREQUENCY: Only once
NO. APPEARING: 1 (unique)
ARMOR CLASS: -4000 (equal to sixteen miles of iridium plating)
MOVE: Effectively infinite
HIT DICE: All there are
% IN LAIR: Nil, lives in interstellar space
TREASURE TYPE: Planets may be found in stomach
NO. OF ATTACKS: 1
DAMAGE/ATTACK: One world's worth per bite
SPECIAL ATTACKS: Belch causes 10,000d6 damage to all beings within one million kilometers
SPECIAL DEFENSES: Has no enemies
MAGIC RESISTANCE: Magic? What's that?
INTELLIGENCE: Animal
ALIGNMENT: Perpetually hungry
SIZE: L (120,600 km from nose to tail
PSIONIC ABILITY: Psionics? How do you spell that?

The dreaded Quazar Dragon is actually an alien lifeform that consumes whole worlds to sustain its energy requirements. It is especially attracted to worlds where enormous quantities of magic may be found, and it can detect the presence of such planets from a third of the distance across the Galactic Disk. Such worlds are usually in the terminal stages of what the gods call "The Monty Haul Syndrome" in which a handful of characters has managed to seize control of their entire world's supply of magic items and are busy making even more.

The first clue that a "Monty Haul" world is about to be eaten comes when the characters walk outside their gold-plated +8 castle walls, wearing their +22 platemail of prismatic invulnerability, and see the sun disappear. This is a sure indicator that the Quazar Dragon has opened its 28,260 km wide mouth and is about to swallow the planet whole. The only possible way to save oneself in such a situation is to immediately throw all the magical items one can get hold of into a sphere of annihilation. The Quazar Dragon will take about 12-48 hours to close its mouth, so the characters do have a little lead time. ALL magic, every scrap of it, every teensy weensy itty bitty bit of it, must be destroyed. If this is done, there is a 5% chance the Quazar Dragon will change its mind and not gulp the planet down.

The deities themselves cannot undo or have any say in the actions of the Quazar Dragon, and to be perfectly honest, none of them want to do so. The Quazar Dragon has gotten rid of many planets on which characters dared call themselves the equals of the gods, and the gods are quite pleased with the overall result, even if it does mean having to go back to the drawing board and create another new planet.

The Quazar Dragon has no natural enemies, being immune even to bumping into neutron stars. It uses the vast amount of energy it takes in to launch itself across interstellar space at trans-light velocities, ever searching for another inflated world to have for a light snack.

Really, because I always saw divine ascension as a goal for some characters, in fact in 2nd Ed. AD&D's Deities & Demi-Gods there were actual guidelines for how one might accomplish it.

Oh, and there actually is a way to beat that dragon if you have enough magic to attract it's attention. You just run the risk of become one of the "Forever Lost" when you call the upon the full attention of The Mythos. ;)