PDA

View Full Version : Arcane Lore and Potency for a Melee FvS?

PopeJual
10-12-2010, 07:35 AM
I built a melee WF FvS and I'm really enjoying him. He doesn't have the same melee DPS that my primary melee characters have, but my primary melee characters also can't solo-heal the shroud and this guy will be able to do that once he hits 17 or 18.

The problem that I keep coming up with is that there are some really great docents available for WF melee types. In particular, I'm thinking of the Quorforged Docent of Battle.

I can only wear one docent at a time, so wearing the Quorforged Docent of Battle means I'm not wearing an Elfcrafted Docent or a Blue Dragonscale Docent or a DT Docent.

Weilding only one greatsword at a time also means that I can't have a pair of Spell Penetration/Potency/whatever weapons, but my spell DCs are garbage anyway and I'll eventually pick up an Amrath clicky belt to reduce the cost of the Greater/Superior Ardor potions.

Any thoughts on where I can get a nice Healing Lore or Arcane Lore item that isn't a docent or do I just have to suck it up and take off my shiny melee docent when I need to take my healing responsibilities seriously?

blitzschlag
10-12-2010, 07:42 AM
for healing purposes you could use a amrath bard amulet (sup potency vi) or a amrath superior ardor viii clicky. for healing crits you could use the reaver gloves...

FuzzyDuck81
10-12-2010, 07:48 AM
I've got one of the bard neckies & went with the reaver gloves on mine, until i managed to get my conc opp goggles to 2nd tier then i replaced them with the gloves of the glacier for metamagic discounts.

voodoogroves
10-12-2010, 07:59 AM
You've got the HP and can get fort. in other ways; Shining Crest of St. Markus? No Minos ... I know, it's heresy ... but the Toughness on your docent won't stack w/ the toughness on your Minos anyway ... that's what I'd suggest.

Other option would be a bard Amrath sup necklace; potency 6 and Wiz. 6.

Khayvan
10-12-2010, 09:08 AM
I'm in exactly the same boat. I'm wearing the QF docent and I don't want to take it off either. Nothing I could craft for DT seemed to offer me as much as this docent and I don't see myself replacing it any time soon.

I wear an Amrath bard amulet for Sup. Potency VI and that's fine for most occasions. I use Sup. Ardor clickies for more intense situations like raid healing, and I'm currently trying to score the gloves from Reaver for the crit chance. I haven't been able to find a set-up that will work better for me yet.

Matuse
10-12-2010, 11:51 AM
Skiver for when you aren't meleeing.

Just because you have greatsword proficiency doesn't mean you should limit yourself to only greatswords.

muffinlad
10-13-2010, 10:48 AM
Find a Greatsword with Greater Potency VII on it, or Superior Potency VI.

Rare, but can be found.

Bind it. Put on Force Damage, do an Icy Burst winter upgrade when it comes back out.

No, it is not great DPS, but you can ad something if you need to fight while healing, and you can always switch out as you need to to your Green Steel.

for +crit %, walking away from Elf/Blue Dragon and still wanting to melee, means you would need to get noxious embers (sp?) from the Abbot.

Best of luck!

muffinforged

Missing_Minds
10-13-2010, 10:52 AM
Weilding only one greatsword at a time also means that I can't have a pair of Spell Penetration/Potency/whatever weapons, but my spell DCs are garbage anyway and I'll eventually pick up an Amrath clicky belt to reduce the cost of the Greater/Superior Ardor potions.

Any thoughts on where I can get a nice Healing Lore or Arcane Lore item that isn't a docent or do I just have to suck it up and take off my shiny melee docent when I need to take my healing responsibilities seriously?

Shining cresent of St. Markus out of DQ. (healing lore, deathblock, improv dev 6) This is a helm.
Gloves out of Reaver (but I doubt you can spare the slot)

Belt of the Seven Ideals - (Belt) Improved Potency VII, Spell Penetration VII (Lawful Only, UMD:24) (Blue Dragon Chest)

r3dl4nce
10-13-2010, 10:55 AM
Amara and Tokala belt for healing (3xSup. Ardor VIII clickies each)
Gauntlets of eternity for crits / gloves of the glacier for sp discount
green blade and a sup potency VI one-hand weapon before casting a blade barrier

Phinaar
10-20-2010, 09:48 AM
Found a +3 Greater Potency VII Greatsword on the AH a few weeks ago...7k PP buyout...

Sorry for bragging, but the point is: they are out there, and they change you FOREVER! :)

sirgog
10-20-2010, 09:58 AM
Don't waste your weapon slot. You have much more important things to put there on a melee soul than Potency/Devotion effects, and if you use a two-handed weapon with Potency effects on it, you lose the Potency whenever you equip a Heal scroll. (Potency doesn't affect scrollheals, but it t.a.k.e.s. . t.i.m.e to switch from one to the other in an intense fight)

What I use or am trying to get:

The main item: A Superior Potency 6 necklace from Amrath.

Epic Shining Crest of St Markus - not ridiculously hard to get, and covers the Healing Lore side of things with some Devotion as well

Epic Chainmail Coif - very hard to get (Desert explorer area shards are extraordinarily rare), really nice item.

Amrath clickies

Shroud-crafted Resist Lightning 30/Greater Healing Lore/Exceptional Resist Lightning 10/Lightning Storm Guard item

Epic Dragon's Eye - serves as Archmagi item too, as well as the clicky with the biggest increase to Mass Heal.

Chette
10-20-2010, 10:06 AM
I'll be honest, I've never found healing lore particularly useful for actual healing. If I mass heal you for 500 or 1500, it doesn't really make a difference. The only time I care about it is for generating crit auras, which a FvS doesn't have anyway.

If you really want it though you can but major healing lore on any shroud item. There's also the gloves from Reavers, though I expect you'll want better gloves that those. If you want arcane lore the noxious embers from Abbot are nice, but then you can't wear a Torc. I wouldn't worry about it too much though since you're not an offensive caster and crit healing isn't really necessary.

Twerpp
10-20-2010, 10:16 AM
I think I used Docent of Corpsecraft until I was high enough level for an Amrath necklace. I had to swap weapons for a good BB, but the docent gave me the best set up for quick, effective heals during melee. I never really concerned myself with spell crits on this toon just run around in circles swinging like a madman through the BB.

PopeJual
10-20-2010, 10:19 AM
Thanks for all the answers here. Now I have some targets to shoot for when gearing up my character.

I know that some of the items that I want for my character (i.e. Epic SoS) will take forever and a day to get, but I'm looking forward to the effort. :)

sirgog
10-20-2010, 10:24 AM
I'll be honest, I've never found healing lore particularly useful for actual healing. If I mass heal you for 500 or 1500, it doesn't really make a difference. The only time I care about it is for generating crit auras, which a FvS doesn't have anyway.

If you really want it though you can but major healing lore on any shroud item. There's also the gloves from Reavers, though I expect you'll want better gloves that those. If you want arcane lore the noxious embers from Abbot are nice, but then you can't wear a Torc. I wouldn't worry about it too much though since you're not an offensive caster and crit healing isn't really necessary.

It's not really important for healing spells (it's great on the Cleric aura, even in the Update 7 version, but that's not relevant here). But, it can be useful to throw an empowered Heal on a WF Barb that's at very low HP (say 20%) and have them go to 100% rather than going only to ~70%.

It's a much lower priority than Potency effects (and I won't fault a gearset that has no healing lore), but it does have its place.

Steveohio
10-22-2010, 08:11 AM
Gotta go with the gloves from reavers.
Unless you got heavy fort somewhere else, helm is off limits.

Best thing your going to want to get is all of the clickable Amrath belts. 75% healing amp, doesnt take up a slot and hits all of your mass cures. Which allows you to DPS more;) Unless your a conservationist and want to mass heal /yawn.

I think total 32~mins possible with Sup Ardor8+Sup Efficiency8

GenPurpose
10-23-2010, 05:14 AM
Personally I would do a GS item for the healing lore if you really want it. I love the gauntlets of eternity, and they are sure to be pure badass when gianthold goes epic, but on a melee capable toon you may well want spectral gloves, titan's grip, etc.
The trouble is that putting major healing lore on a GS item is awkward, imo. You'll end up with greater disruption guard or Concordant opposition if you want a bonus effect.
ConOp is great for the melee FvS, but i personally prefer to have that on a pure SP or HP item so that the major lore doesnt eliminate the normal 3rd tier of 100 sp or 20 hp. The greater disruption guard leaves you taking things in tier 1 and 2 which, imo, arent quite as useful as they might be.
My preference in this situation would be to make an item with greater fire resist, greater healing lore, and +10 exceptional fire resist, with the bonus radiance guard. Sure the lore wouldnt be quite as good as the major, so your crits not quite as powerful, but it would still give you a 9% extra chance for crits that you may not otherwise have and an undispellable 50 fire resist. Radiance guard procs very frequently as well.

As to generic potency, if you want to save your weapon for something a little more dps-oriented, you could always do a set of DT armor with greater potency VII in the sovereign tier. Or, if you have heavy fort elsewhere, the epic mask of tragedy isnt that hard to get for wisdom +6 and greater potency VII, with a yellow augment slot as well. Basic healing power item will probably be taken up most easily with greater devotion VIII on a TOD ring of your choice, 'cus i doubt you'll bother trying to do a three part lorikks set with a greatsword build.

So that would be my plan, personally. GS item with greater lore (major lore being to much of a pain to fit in imo), TOD ring with greater devotion VIII for all your heals, and if you do want to be dropping BBs and such have greater potency VII on something like a Mask of Tragedy (again assuming you have heavy fort elsewhere) or a spare greatsword that you can swap out when necessary, or of course a sup.potency VI necklace from amrath.

taurean430
10-23-2010, 05:25 AM
This little guy has been handy when working with my melee build FvS characters, at least until they are of level for something more powerful:

http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/1996/sevenideals.jpg (http://img528.imageshack.us/i/sevenideals.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

phalaeo
10-23-2010, 05:35 AM
I'd have to say this depends on what spells you use to raid heal.

If you only use Mass Heal, and you have Empowered Healing, I'd put the potency at second priority. Get your Crit chance maxxed via AP and use Noxious Embers for GALore.

Or, craft Healing Lore on to a Shroud item and use a Potency Necklace from Amrath if you need potency for cures.

Personally, I have a melee Cleric that will not have any Lore item in her gear setup, but she's not slated to heal raids. IMO, the potency aspect is more important than the crit chance as far as items go.

Nevid
10-23-2010, 10:07 AM
My work around on my WF FVS was to go with existential stalemate on some goggles. Took healing lore on first tier, 50 sp points on the second (I think taking Wizardy VI on first tier is a waste since you can get it so many other places).

If I was not so lazy, I would finish it up with concordiant opposition for the Major Healing Lore. It beats grinding the Reaver over and over and over looking for the gloves. I also use a Superior Deovtion IV ring until I get the necklace. Not sure if Superior Devotion VI exists on random loot, I doubt if it does.

Uchuujin-San
10-24-2010, 03:18 AM
My work around on my WF FVS was to go with existential stalemate on some goggles. Took healing lore on first tier, 50 sp points on the second (I think taking Wizardy VI on first tier is a waste since you can get it so many other places).

agreed and is what im doing atm with my wf FvS as well. 6%crit isnt too much less and the other option of 10hp i think isnt much of an issue when youre almost 600 and can self heal anyway