PDA

View Full Version : Add New Monk Quasi-Elemental Stances

dkyle
10-11-2010, 08:58 AM
U7 will be a major boon for Light Monks, but only vs. Tainted creatures. Vs. other creatures, they remain somewhat lackluster. Dark Monks will see a significant drop in DPS in nearly all situations, and a huge drop vs Undead and Constructs. I’d like to see an increase in the usefulness of both paths, and I suggest doing it by adding new quasi-elemental stances to both. Quasi-elemental refers to the combination of the basic elements with positive and negative energy. These terms are currently used for Greensteel dual-shards.

The goal of these stances would be to make both paths better at what they already do. Light Monks would get better support (along the lines of Bards/Palis), and Dark Monks would get better non-tanking DPS (along the lines of Rogues).

I will present some mechanics below. I’m sure they will require some major balancing work, but I think the basic idea behind them is sound. The stances would be activated by a single button, which adds an additional buff icon based on the current elemental stance. Both the elemental stances and quasi-elemental stances would be active simultaneously. I'd suggest making these a free perk of the path, as the neg/pos strikes are.

First, the Light Monk stances. These are Lightning, Minerals, Radiance, and Steam, which would be the Positive versions of the Air, Earth, Fire, and Water, respectively. The basic idea would be to channel incoming positive energy into short term buffs to the party.

These would work like Aura of Good, but carry a 10/15/20/25% penalty to healing amp (total amount for each tier). This might apply to all healing and repairing. Either the aura would automatically refresh, like Aura of Good, or it would be refreshed each time the Monk receives incoming healing (including self-heals like healing ki, healing curse, etc.).

These buffs are generally weaker versions of the buffs provided by the elemental stance itself. The would, therefore, not usually apply to the Monk himself.

Lightning Stance (pos+air):
+1/1/2/2 DEX, +1/2/3/4% doublestrike (stacking with everything)

Mineral Stance (pos+earth)
+1/2/3/4 CON

Radiance Stance (pos+fire)
+1/2/3/4 STR

Steam Stance (pos+water)
+1/2/3/4 WIS, CHA, and INT (the CHA and INT might apply to the Monk himself. They’re there so all casters benefit essentially equally)

Now, the Dark Monk stances. These are Vacuum, Dust, Ash, and Salt. The goal of these is to make Dark Monks better DPS, but while reducing their suitability for tanking.

Rather than adding Sneak Attacks, I instead add incoming damage amplification. The idea is that while in these stances, the Monk won’t want to be taking sustained damage. These all inflict a 10/15/20/25% increase in incoming damage.

They provide bonuses to the Monk himself, so they stack with the elemental stances.

Vacuum Stance (neg+air)
+5/10/15/20 offhand attack proc

Dust Stance (neg+earth)
+25/50/75/100% chance of +1 crit multiplier on all critical hits.

Ash Stance (neg+fire)
+20/40/60/80% chance of +1 ki on all hits
5/10/15/20% shorter cooldown on all monk abilities, and tactics feats

Salt Stance (neg+water)
+2/3/5/6 to all tactics and monk ability DCs (ToD, stunning blow and fist, etc.)

I’m sure some of the specific numbers would need some tweaking, but, overall, what do you all think of this?

Gladiator_206
10-11-2010, 09:33 AM
1) I'd suggest making these a free perk of the path, as the neg/pos strikes are.

2) the Light Monk stances. These are Lightning, Minerals, Radiance, and Steam

3) They would, therefore, not usually apply to the Monk himself.

4) Now, the Dark Monk stances. These are Vacuum, Dust, Ash, and Salt.

5) These all inflict a 10/15/20/25% increase in incoming damage.

6) They provide bonuses to the Monk himself, so they stack with the elemental stances.

7) overall, what do you all think of this?

1) I deffinatley agree that they should be free perks, provided of course you have either light or dark affiliaton (IE at the very least have a minnimum lvl of 3. In all honesty the ML should probably be higher though, such as lvl 6 after you purchase your pre?). Good thought over all.

2) Love the names.

3) That kills alot of incentive to use the paths. of course if they are free that becomes less of an issue, but if the monk is incurring signifigant healing amp loss only to give other players very weak (and furthermore realitivley unexcting until the op +4 stats) buffs, alot of ight monks might avoid the new stances.

4 again, love the names.

5) no, just no. More squish is never a good thing. primarily for the same reason as the light monk complaint, there is to much negitive to using the dark stances.

6) Good thought, the bonuses (whatever they may be) should give the monk in question at least some beneifit to himself, however small, in addition to possible helping the party.

7) Probably seems like i did alot of trashing of this post, but i absolutley love the idea you presented. The concept is brilliant, what wit combning light or dark with the stances, i just think it needs to be balanced better and more flushed out.

Good post and hope someone important sees this :)

dkyle
10-11-2010, 09:54 AM
In all honesty the ML should probably be higher though, such as lvl 6 after you purchase your pre?). Good thought over all.

Not sure about this, I think they're reasonable at level 3, and the idea is that they'd scale up.

3) That kills alot of incentive to use the paths. of course if they are free that becomes less of an issue, but if the monk is incurring signifigant healing amp loss only to give other players very weak (and furthermore realitivley unexcting until the op +4 stats) buffs, alot of ight monks might avoid the new stances.

The numbers on the healing loss might be high, but I suspect that with all the healing Light Monks get, it wouldn't be a huge penalty. I'm not sure how +3 is very weak, but +4 is OP. Seems like they scale at a reasonable pace to me.

2) Love the names.
4 again, love the names.

5) no, just no. More squish is never a good thing. primarily for the same reason as the light monk complaint, there is to much negitive to using the dark stances.

The idea is to make them about as squishy as Rogues, in exchange for increased DPS. Increasing incoming damage is like reducing HP, which is the primary disadvantage Rogues get compared to Dark Monks. Perhaps the actual numbers should be lowered, but my primary concern is that the benefits might be too much.

And increased squishiness can be a reasonable trade off for DPS. I think most people would accept an Inspire Recklessness song that did +10% incoming damage for +5% doublestrike.

6) Good thought, the bonuses (whatever they may be) should give the monk in question at least some beneifit to himself, however small, in addition to possible helping the party.

I suppose, but I like the idea of making Light Monks better at support and Dark Monks better at personal DPS. If Light Monks themselves benefit from the quasi-elemental stances, that reduces the distinction.

And, to be clear, the Dark Monk stances do not act as an aura. They only benefit the Dark Monk himself.

Gladiator_206
10-11-2010, 10:05 AM
Not sure about this, I think they're reasonable at level 3, and the idea is that they'd scale up.

Scaling, gotcha. Yeah shouldn't be to bad then. I dunno, just all the numbers seem to be a little high in almost all regards. This is probably due to the fact that i am very picky :P

Your Welcome :)

The idea is to make them about as squishy as Rogues, in exchange for increased DPS. Increasing incoming damage is like reducing HP, which is the primary disadvantage Rogues get compared to Dark Monks. Perhaps the actual numbers should be lowered, but my primary concern is that the benefits might be too much.

One of the reasons i play a monk is because i don't want to be just another rogue. Just saying :)

And increased squishiness can be a reasonable trade off for DPS. I think most people would accept an Inspire Recklessness song that did +10% incoming damage for +5% doublestrike.

Point well made. I agree

I suppose, but I like the idea of making Light Monks better at support and Dark Monks better at personal DPS. If Light Monks themselves benefit from the quasi-elemental stances, that reduces the distinction.
And, to be clear, the Dark Monk stances do not act as an aura. They only benefit the Dark Monk himself.

Upon further considering it.. I agree with you on the "aura" or there lack of. Light should stay more group based while dark monks stay more personal.

Good post and good defending of points. Just maybe a reduction in numbers across the board.

/Signed.