PDA

View Full Version : L14 Sorc Gear & Spells

D_Outlaw
10-10-2010, 09:01 AM
Hi all! I'm a Fire/Ice sorc build & wondering if u guys can give me some gear/spells tips :D

Here's my list :)
Gear:
Helmet: Helm of Wizardry 6
Necklace: Poison immunity necklace of deep slumber
Trinket: Voice of the Master
Cloak: Mantle of the worldshaper
Belt: Health Belt Con +5
Ring1: Health ring of eloquence Diplo +11
Ring2: Acrobat's ring
Gloves: Ogre Power gloves STR +5
Boots: Feather falling boots of balance +7 / Golden Greaves
Goggles: Archivist goggles
Armor: Deathblock outfit of heavy fort
Bracers: Armored bracers of deep slumber AC+5
Hand1: Superior Potency 6
Hand2: SPell Penetration 7

Spells:
L1: Expeditious retreat, Jump, Mage armor, Nightshield
L2: Blur, Resist Energy, Scorching Ray, Knock
L3: Displacement, Fireball, Frost Lance, Haste
L4: Dimension Door, Wall of fire, Icestorm, Stoneskin
L5: Cloudkill, Cone of Cold, Protection from Elements
L6: Desintegrate, Greater Heroism
L7: Finger of Death

I am not VIP but i have the following packs:
Delera's, VON, Vale, Necro4, Threnal, GH & Sands.

Cheers!

tinyelvis
10-10-2010, 09:33 AM
You are wasting valuable spell spots at your level by not scroll/wand casting GH and stone skin. Mage armor is pretty useless at your level of play unless you have really made an effort to buff your ac and get hit a lot.

Your damage potential looks low. Your spell damage output potential will be impacted by a good bit by not using superior clickies to buff your spell damage over potency items. Depending on the meta magic/enhancements used, the 25% bonus of a clicky over a potency item is pretty big at your level, and can mean the difference between one cast killing your foe and two cast killing. I would only situationally use the spell pen item. In general, I would carry at least one lore item. In your case, Greater Ice lore looks like the best idea. Dump the superior potency (use only when casting disintigrate) in favor of clickies. Consider carrying Greater Ice Lore and Greater fire lore items most all of the time. Your critical chance can then be 1 in 6 casts at your level.

johnnyputrid
10-10-2010, 02:56 PM
Hi all! I'm a Fire/Ice sorc build & wondering if u guys can give me some gear/spells tips :D

Here's my list :)
Gear:
Helmet: Helm of Wizardry 6
Trinket: Voice of the Master
Ring1: Health ring of eloquence Diplo +11
Ring2: Acrobat's ring
Boots: Feather falling boots of balance +7 / Golden Greaves
Goggles: Archivist goggles
Armor: Deathblock outfit of heavy fort
Hand1: Superior Potency 6
Hand2: SPell Penetration 7

Helmet: Minos Legens should go here. Since you have the Necro 4 pack, you can easily farm rares for tapestries. Arcane casters own the Orchard. Once you've got your helmet, sell your excess taps for extra cash or hand 'em out to your friends/guild members.
Necklace: Pick up the Golden Cartouche from Delera's and pop that on. The +3 to UMD is really nice and can help you go from using Cure Light/Moderate wands to Cure Serious. You can drink Neutralize Poison pots or UMD a wand if you get poisoned.
Trinket: the Voice is nice, but a Pearl of Power X would probably be better. You'll lose some spell points by dropping your Wizardry 6 helmet for the Minos, but it shouldn't be a problem.
Cloak: You don't have a Charisma item equipped - this is a great spot for a +6 Charisma cloak. The Mantle is nice, but you should be more concerned with maxing your Charisma - the small bonuses that the Mantle provides will be outweighed by having a higher Charisma (complete with more spell points, higher spell DCs and a higher UMD score).
Belt: Disease Immunity of Greater False Life. Immunity to diseases and +30 hit points. 'Nuff said.
Ring1: Stick a +6 Constitution ring here.
Ring2: Lots of choices - +6 Str, +6 Dex, +6 Cha (if you can't find a cloak).
Gloves: +6 Str or +6 Dex, whichever one you are lacking.
Boots: Fine as is.
Goggles: Drop those Archivist Goggles pronto, you have leveled far past their usefulness. Blindness Immunity goggles should go here, or perhaps +X Spot goggles, to help you locate stealthy monsters before you roast them.
Armor: Since you have GH, go ahead and farm up 20 elf relics and get yourself an Elfcrafted robe. It isn't the best item, but it isn't too bad - Evocation Focus bumps your DCs up by 1, you get constant Arcane Lore and a little bit of Spell Pen. Personally I wore Deathblock of Invulnerability robes until I got my dragontouched robe. If you can manage to farm enough scales, a Blue Dragonscale robe would be a very fine choice as well.
Bracers: Plenty of different spell DC-increasing options. A pair of Necromancy focus bracers would work nicely, giving your Finger of Death a little extra bump. Armored bracers are a waste on a sorcerer - you will never have an AC worth worrying about. Blur, Displacement, Jump, Haste and Stoneskin is your AC.
Hand1: Superior Potency 6, Superior Inferno/Freeze clickie weapon, situational weapons (holy mace, paralyzer, etc) - a buffed-up sorcerer can help melee trash mobs just fine.
Hand2: Major Fire Lore, Major Ice Lore, Spell Pen 7, situational heavy/tower shield - you don't need to be proficient with a shield to take advantage of its DR. Shield-blocking in a firewall is an effective tactic.

Spells:
L1: Expeditious retreat, Jump, Mage armor, Nightshield
L2: Blur, Resist Energy, Scorching Ray, Knock
L3: Displacement, Fireball, Frost Lance, Haste
L4: Dimension Door, Wall of fire, Icestorm, Stoneskin
L5: Cloudkill, Cone of Cold, Protection from Elements
L6: Desintegrate, Greater Heroism
L7: Finger of Death

I am not VIP but i have the following packs:
Delera's, VON, Vale, Necro4, Threnal, GH & Sands.

Cheers!

Your spell list is fine, except perhaps for Ice Storm. The developers have plans to make it more useful, but that isn't happening in the next update. You can swap Ice Storm for Fire Shield, giving you some nice defensive options against heavy fire/ice using opponents.

Some people will tell you it is a waste to carry Greater Heroism and Stoneskin, but I personally disagree. If you cast GH and SS as much as I do, you will go through thousands upon thousands of scrolls. If you can't afford those thousands of scrolls, you'll soon be broke. Another thing to consider is that Stoneskin wands/scrolls are limited to caster level 7 - at your level a self-cast Stoneskin provides more protection, lasts longer and you don't need to swap in a scroll or wand to activate it.

However, if you are swimming in plat or making enough money to easily cover your costs, then by all means scroll GH and/or Stoneskin and choose some other offensive spells.

Holymosher
10-12-2010, 01:14 AM
helmet: Minos Legens Should Go Here. Since You Have The Necro 4 Pack, You Can Easily Farm Rares For Tapestries. Arcane Casters Own The Orchard. Once You've Got Your Helmet, Sell Your Excess Taps For Extra Cash Or Hand 'em Out To Your Friends/guild Members.
necklace: Pick Up The Golden Cartouche From Delera's And Pop That On. The +3 To Umd Is Really Nice And Can Help You Go From Using Cure Light/moderate Wands To Cure Serious. You Can Drink Neutralize Poison Pots Or Umd A Wand If You Get Poisoned.
trinket: The Voice Is Nice, But A Pearl Of Power X Would Probably Be Better. You'll Lose Some Spell Points By Dropping Your Wizardry 6 Helmet For The Minos, But It Shouldn't Be A Problem.
cloak: You Don't Have A Charisma Item Equipped - This Is A Great Spot For A +6 Charisma Cloak. The Mantle Is Nice, But You Should Be More Concerned With Maxing Your Charisma - The Small Bonuses That The Mantle Provides Will Be Outweighed By Having A Higher Charisma (complete With More Spell Points, Higher Spell Dcs And A Higher Umd Score).
belt: Disease Immunity Of Greater False Life. Immunity To Diseases And +30 Hit Points. 'nuff Said.
ring1: Stick A +6 Constitution Ring Here.
ring2: Lots Of Choices - +6 Str, +6 Dex, +6 Cha (if You Can't Find A Cloak).
gloves: +6 Str Or +6 Dex, Whichever One You Are Lacking.
boots: Fine As Is.
goggles: Drop Those Archivist Goggles Pronto, You Have Leveled Far Past Their Usefulness. Blindness Immunity Goggles Should Go Here, Or Perhaps +x Spot Goggles, To Help You Locate Stealthy Monsters Before You Roast Them.
armor: Since You Have Gh, Go Ahead And Farm Up 20 Elf Relics And Get Yourself An Elfcrafted Robe. It Isn't The Best Item, But It Isn't Too Bad - Evocation Focus Bumps Your Dcs Up By 1, You Get Constant Arcane Lore And A Little Bit Of Spell Pen. Personally I Wore Deathblock Of Invulnerability Robes Until I Got My Dragontouched Robe. If You Can Manage To Farm Enough Scales, A Blue Dragonscale Robe Would Be A Very Fine Choice As Well.
bracers: Plenty Of Different Spell Dc-increasing Options. A Pair Of Necromancy Focus Bracers Would Work Nicely, Giving Your Finger Of Death A Little Extra Bump. Armored Bracers Are A Waste On A Sorcerer - You Will Never Have An Ac Worth Worrying About. Blur, Displacement, Jump, Haste And Stoneskin Is Your Ac.
hand1: Superior Potency 6, Superior Inferno/freeze Clickie Weapon, Situational Weapons (holy Mace, Paralyzer, Etc) - A Buffed-up Sorcerer Can Help Melee Trash Mobs Just Fine.
hand2: Major Fire Lore, Major Ice Lore, Spell Pen 7, Situational Heavy/tower Shield - You Don't Need To Be Proficient With A Shield To Take Advantage Of Its Dr. Shield-blocking In A Firewall Is An Effective Tactic.

Your Spell List Is Fine, Except Perhaps For Ice Storm. The Developers Have Plans To Make It More Useful, But That Isn't Happening In The Next Update. You Can Swap Ice Storm For Fire Shield, Giving You Some Nice Defensive Options Against Heavy Fire/ice Using Opponents.

Some People Will Tell You It Is A Waste To Carry Greater Heroism And Stoneskin, But I Personally Disagree. If You Cast Gh And Ss As Much As I Do, You Will Go Through Thousands Upon Thousands Of Scrolls. If You Can't Afford Those Thousands Of Scrolls, You'll Soon Be Broke. Another Thing To Consider Is That Stoneskin Wands/scrolls Are Limited To Caster Level 7 - At Your Level A Self-cast Stoneskin Provides More Protection, Lasts Longer And You Don't Need To Swap In A Scroll Or Wand To Activate It.

However, If You Are Swimming In Plat Or Making Enough Money To Easily Cover Your Costs, Then By All Means Scroll Gh And/or Stoneskin And Choose Some Other Offensive Spells.

+1

Merlocke
10-12-2010, 01:07 PM
I'd drop GH and scroll it, or grab a Planar gird or 2.

Timmeke123456
10-13-2010, 05:57 AM
Thx a lot for the help, it was really usefull!

Cheers!

gDra
10-13-2010, 07:01 AM
johnnyputrid's list is quite an optimum. Your equipment already looks solid, but there are spots that you need to fix.

Cha+6 is the most important. (ring or cloak)
Change your bracers to something with spell school focus. (Necromancy, Evocation, Transmutation are things that you benefit from)
Acrobat's Ring, lots of things you can fit in here; Ability Enhancements, Concentration, SP

Your Necklace can also hold your Con item, it's usually cheaper than a ring. Poison Immunity isn't as important, a clicky or wand is enough. That opens up the belt for a false life item.

If you want to go for the minos and a pearl of power is too expensive (or you prefer the voice like me) you can take magi weapon. Use the extra SP to buff and then switch to your combat setup.

Personal preference: stick with GH, your party expects you to cast it and it will take a lot of scrolls if you dont zerg the dungeons.

Timmeke123456
11-11-2010, 10:05 AM
Thx for all the help guys! it really did help me a lot!
Here's an update on my gear; wanna check it out & give hints/tips ?

Helmet: Minos Legens
Trinket: Voice of the Master / Dusk Heart
Ring1: Ring of Wizardry VI
Ring2: Charismatic Ring Char +5
Boots: Feather falling boots of balance +7
Goggles: Blindness ward goggles
Armor: Deathblock outfit of Spell Resistance 19
Hand1: Major Fire Lore scepter of greater spell penetration3
Hand2: SPell Penetration 7 scepter

Still looking for superior frost/inferno 7 clickies ;)

Spell list:
L1: Hypnotism, Jump, Mage Armor, Nightshield
L2: Blur, Knock, Resist Energy, Web
L3: Displacement, Frost Lance, Haste, Rage
L4: Dimension Door, Ice Storm(will be switched for Repair Critical or Fire shield) Stoneskin, Wall Of Fire
L5: Cloudkill, Cone of Cold, Prismatic Ray, Protection from Elements
L6: Desintegrate, Mass Suggestion, Greater Heroism
L7: Finger of Death & Delayed Fireball

Cheers!

soulaeon
11-12-2010, 07:13 AM
Helmet: Minos Legens
Trinket: Voice of the Master / Dusk Heart
Ring1: Ring of Wizardry VI
Ring2: Charismatic Ring Char +5
Boots: Feather falling boots of balance +7
Goggles: Blindness ward goggles
Armor: Deathblock outfit of Spell Resistance 19
Hand1: Major Fire Lore scepter of greater spell penetration3
Hand2: SPell Penetration 7 scepter
If you missed the Mabar event, then I suppose that's the best cape you can get until you get a Napkin or Green Steel.
For the goggles, you might consider Spectacles of Spirit Sight.
The robe should be Deathblock with Invulnerability or Fortification.
I would work on finding a Potency weapon.

WielderofGigantus
11-12-2010, 07:38 AM
If you missed the Mabar event, then I suppose that's the best cape you can get until you get a Napkin or Green Steel.
What's a Napkin? I haven't heard that reference before.

Spangled
11-12-2010, 08:16 AM
The one comment I would make is that your mage armour spell is useless as you have +5 AC bracers and armour bonuses do not stack. If you find AC useful, then replace it with the shield spell, as it will give you an extra 4 AC and immunity to magic missiles when you don't have nightshield on.

Timmeke123456
11-12-2010, 04:20 PM
The robe should be Deathblock with Invulnerability or Fortification.
I would work on finding a Potency weapon.

I just sold my superior potency 6 scepter because so i had room for a major fire lore scepter. And i have fort with my minos legens ;)

Ill be farming zawabi's for the skiver & guess ill somehow get a sup potency 6 scepter again :(
Hmmm I just levelled & took Horrid as L8 spell. Is it a good choice or not knowing that I'm an evo sorc ?

Cheers!

Trillea
11-12-2010, 04:30 PM
What's a Napkin? I haven't heard that reference before.

It is raid loot from the Reaver raid, it gives +1 to all spell DCs and +6 INT.