PDA

View Full Version : Let's make this right

Statagem
10-09-2010, 07:10 PM
I'm a new DDO player and really enjoy the in depth of character developement. I'm a F2P guy, and although I can't access some classes, races and quests,(which is fair), I still get enjoyment from the game itself, but especially the gaming community that is DDO. That being said, I have to admit that coming from Ultima Online, I find myself missing the extreme vastness, freedom and PvP of the UO world, and I am hoping that the DDO developers get it right with any upcoming updates. The look, feel, and indepth of character far exceeds the UltimaOnline MMO, but if the DDO developers could incorporate the UO housing system(best of all MMO's IMHO), provide a scary "look out ...I'm walking out of my house" feel that UO provides with it's PvP bent(very exciting to know you can get "ganked" at any time), and keep the "feel" of the existing DDO experience...well this could be mind blowing for MMO fans everywhere. Guild vs guild anyone? PvP anywhere at anytime anyone? Storing my hard earned loot in my customizable house anyone? This would all hinge on "seeing" every player in ALL environments...save questing. All at the same time keeping and expanding on the quests that draw many MMO fans to begin with. WOW!! What do you guys think? Keep swingin'!!

KillEveryone
10-09-2010, 08:00 PM
DDO isn't PvP. DDO is PvE.

I play because I like PvE. I don't ever want to be ganked. If I did, I'd play a PvP focused game.

h4x0r1f1c
10-09-2010, 09:04 PM
For me DDO is PvP.

I didn't read the OP but I read the reply.

Uska
10-09-2010, 09:32 PM
once again no to pvp we have guild housing its the airships

sisterjinx
10-09-2010, 09:43 PM
No to PVP! I don't want to get "ganked" anywhere. If I want to fight PVP I can challenge or go to a pub, which I choose not to. I'd like to keep the right to walk around town un-violated.

However I would LOVE to see some kind of customizable player housing. (I am pretty sure I saw that mentioned too). I won't hold my breath that it will ever happen but it would/could be a whole lot of fun and a new aspect to the experience.

Hokiewa
10-09-2010, 09:45 PM
No

CrescentCalling_5
10-09-2010, 10:04 PM
No. I personally don't think DDO should be a PvP game, just have new content added in when we get bored with the current parts.

But I'm not such a nutcase as to say it should NEVER be a PvE "and" PvP game. If they find a way to make it "work", meh okay, however at the moment I think they should be giving the game a structure, not working on the decorations (this game lacks the core races, endgame and midgame content, a proper array of magic and abilities, the full list of PrE's, and so on...they shouldn't be working on anything, let alone PvP, until they finish the fundamentals of the game!).

Quarterling
10-09-2010, 10:36 PM
Might want to try this game out instead. (http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/index.xml)

Bodic
10-09-2010, 10:46 PM
Might want to try this game out instead. (http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/index.xml)

how dare you speak of the gimpness of which is not to be named :P

but that is your PvP spot not DDO

go have fun with your cookie cutter

Rineth
10-09-2010, 10:48 PM
WOW!!

This isn't.

Memnir
10-09-2010, 11:12 PM
I prefer DDO's PvP the way it is at the present... a secluded afterthought that can be pursued by the minority who find it worthwhile, and can be avoided by most players who find it pointless and a waste of time.

PvP "anywhere at anytime" would ruin the game, imho.
/not signed

SINIBYTE
10-09-2010, 11:15 PM
DDO does actually have PVP... not in game though. It's on the forums. In the form of a rep system. Think I need to level up some more though.

Stormanne
10-09-2010, 11:16 PM
When I want PvP, I'll play Call of Duty or Team Fortress 2

Jakarr
10-09-2010, 11:37 PM
I'm a new DDO player and really enjoy the in depth of character developement. I'm a F2P guy, and although I can't access some classes, races and quests,(which is fair), I still get enjoyment from the game itself, but especially the gaming community that is DDO. That being said, I have to admit that coming from Ultima Online, I find myself missing the extreme vastness, freedom and PvP of the UO world, and I am hoping that the DDO developers get it right with any upcoming updates. The look, feel, and indepth of character far exceeds the UltimaOnline MMO, but if the DDO developers could incorporate the UO housing system(best of all MMO's IMHO), provide a scary "look out ...I'm walking out of my house" feel that UO provides with it's PvP bent(very exciting to know you can get "ganked" at any time), and keep the "feel" of the existing DDO experience...well this could be mind blowing for MMO fans everywhere. Guild vs guild anyone? PvP anywhere at anytime anyone? Storing my hard earned loot in my customizable house anyone? This would all hinge on "seeing" every player in ALL environments...save questing. All at the same time keeping and expanding on the quests that draw many MMO fans to begin with. WOW!! What do you guys think? Keep swingin'!!

DDO will never be pvp the system it is based off of is no where near a balanced setting for it.

I will say since you came from UO you really need to look up Darkfall as its almost exactly like UO. http://www.darkfallonline.com/index.html

Noctus
10-10-2010, 08:12 AM
DDO is about PvE.

If you want PvP, play a game that focuses on this. You cant bake a cake thats tasty for everyone.

AyumiAmakusa
10-10-2010, 08:16 AM
Seems to me you're looking for Granado Espada.

flynnjsw
10-10-2010, 08:20 AM
Note that this is one of the most disliked and lowest reputation people on the fora, and for the reason he just stated.

PvP, in DDO, is widely regarded as complete and utter garbage that should have been gotten rid of years ago. There are a few who like it, but they're probably insane.

PvE is the main focus of DDO, and it'll stay that way.

Do not be who this poster quoted "ever".

As has been stated before, PvP is fine just the way it is, and could even use a little trimming...lol

AyumiAmakusa
10-10-2010, 08:23 AM
As has been stated before, PvP is fine just the way it is, and could even use a little trimming...lol

Now that would take Dev time would it not?

Lorien_the_First_One
10-10-2010, 08:24 AM
DDO is about PvE.

If you want PvP, play a game that focuses on this. You cant bake a cake thats tasty for everyone.

Exactly. Like others have said, many of us are here at least in part because it is NOT PvP oriented and would not stay if that changed.

And guild ships is the direction they have chosen to go on housing.

Lorien_the_First_One
10-10-2010, 08:25 AM

About 30 seconds to add a wall tile in place of the hole or door to the PvP pit.

hooblaboo
10-10-2010, 08:31 AM
PvP is a waste of time in ddo

AyumiAmakusa
10-10-2010, 08:34 AM
About 30 seconds to add a wall tile in place of the hole or door to the PvP pit.

Every second counts. :)

We all know the Devs are actually chained up in Turbine Headquarters working 23 hours a day and every bit of that 23 hours is spent working on DDO. To think that you would suggest they reduce the Dev sleeping time by 30 seconds is horrible.

MartinusWyllt
10-10-2010, 08:43 AM
...Guild vs guild anyone? PvP anywhere at anytime anyone? Storing my hard earned loot in my customizable house anyone? ...

DAoC offers nation vs. nation pvp with siege engines, keep capture/defense (you can even use a trebuchet to knock holes in walls), player-driven, massive capture-the-flag...they even used to have a pure PvP server, don't know if that's still the case. You can haunt lowbie quest PvP areas and gank enemy players to your heart's content...they can't even send a tell to you to whine about it. There are rewards for capturing territory in the form of xp/loot bonuses and large PvP dungeons as well.

DDO offers unparalleled (in my experience) PvE character customization opportunities, lack of mob camping lines and the grinding looks mostly optional.

Edit: Didn't get to actually make the observation I wanted to make earlier...

The PvP suggestions seem to, in general, be rather like having a stranger walk by your driveway where you're working on your shiny new motorcycle and suggesting that the way to really improve it would be to add two wheels and an enclosed cab.

Different animals, adapt or play something else.

Rav'n
10-10-2010, 08:51 AM
OP you thread title assumes there is something WRONG with DDO because there's no PvP (and a few other things...)

How about actually spending some time playing the game before making claims you obviously know nothing about.

/NOT Signed!

Oh yeah.... don't be "that" guy. ;)

bigolbear
10-10-2010, 12:01 PM
signed on the housing aspect. (but not till we get more lvl 14 + content plz)

not signed on the free for all pvp aspect. ddo already has excelent pvp, team death match and ctf are a lot of fun - the tavern brawls less so. i realy dont like the idea of not being able to walk around without getting molested by random folks - ofcourse i can picture it now....

My warforge wizard cobolt walking down a dark alley at night..

Noob1: "hey guvnor, gis ya plat or ill shiv ya"
Noob2: " yeh pal, theres three of us, i want yer stuff"
Noob3: "yuh.. what they said we got ya surrounded"
Cobolt: " Foolish meatbags!"
combat ensues.. screams of torment and anguish come from the dark alley... and a witness sees a wafroge carrying 3 shiney new soul gems muttering to himself about what stormreach is coming to.

You see thats what the challenge system is there for, to protect these inocent noobs from the wrath of seasoned adventurers who couldnt give a damn about pvp 95% of the time but have spent their time honing their skills fighting pitfeinds, maraliths and ancient litches!

flynnjsw
10-10-2010, 12:07 PM

Less time than it would take to add to it I would imagine.

Orratti
10-10-2010, 12:31 PM
DDO is DnD. If you came here to play something other than DnD you picked the wrong game. If there were to be pvp in a dungeons and dragons environment it would be in fighting arenas much like you have now or in a stadium environment. Most of the quest in that kind of scenario would be spent trying to figure out a way to escape or kill the leader of the horrid events. Perhaps there should be a solo quest designed along this line where once you entered you were stuck there forever in game until you figured out how to pull off one of these two endings. Pitted against a mix of other players and monsters with no rest shrines between battles and only healing and spell regeneration available being from the ddo store perhaps throw a shrine in about every 5 or 6 battles. /death would only raise you to life with 1 hp still inside quest.

Otherwise leave it as is and focus on making the dungeons and dragons world of Eberron larger with more options.

CrescentCalling_5
10-10-2010, 12:37 PM
When I want PvP, I'll play Call of Duty or Team Fortress 2

Yay someone else here uses TF2 as a vent for PvP action :D I'm not alone!!!