PDA

View Full Version : Mage Staffs

StormKnight
10-09-2010, 12:12 PM
I would like to see mage staves usable by sorcerers and wizards only, theres not enough of them and they are made obsolete because you can get more effects from dual wielding scepters, I don't like my mages dual wielding so could you please put some staves in game up to par with dual weilding? Thanks .

Failedlegend
10-09-2010, 01:18 PM
I would like to see mage staves usable by sorcerers and wizards only, theres not enough of them and they are made obsolete because you can get more effects from dual wielding scepters, I don't like my mages dual wielding so could you please put some staves in game up to par with dual weilding? Thanks .

/Signed

This quite ridiculous I hate running around with to clubs in my hand but none of the Q-Staffs are as good hell I could carry JUST the Skiver and nothing else and I still couldn't find a staff as good. It's just wrong. I even suggested making it so we could combine 1h-weapons in to 2h-Weapons (Named Items excluded, No stacking) but it only succeeded in alot of whining from TWFs.

CrescentCalling_5
10-09-2010, 02:09 PM
/signed

I believe the magic staves in D&D were FAR stronger than the ones we have in this game.

we should also be able to create staves and wands with the same system in D&D imho :3

Archer001
10-09-2010, 02:43 PM
/signed

Weapon special abilities designed for classes should be on weapons that the class would traditionally use, epic powers being placed on archetype weapons.

Jakarr
10-09-2010, 02:46 PM
/signed

Not that it would ever happen but would be cool if I could put my skiver on top of a quarterstaff

Ashurr
10-09-2010, 07:45 PM
/signed as long as we avoid the focus rigamarole from 4th ed

Lilbadass
10-09-2010, 07:47 PM
/signed

h4x0r1f1c
10-09-2010, 08:04 PM
/not signed

C-C-C-Combo breaker!!!

Then we would have a better chance-to-hit and people might be more inclined to make melee casters because their staffs can have some lore and/or potency affects on them too.

With dual clubs it's like their chance-to-hit sucks because it's TwF.

Vellrad
10-09-2010, 08:08 PM
/signet

But I feel turbine don't cares about casters, so they'll probably ignore it :(

phalaeo
10-09-2010, 08:13 PM
/not signed

C-C-C-Combo breaker!!!

Then we would have a better chance-to-hit and people might be more inclined to make melee casters because their staffs can have some lore and/or potency affects on them too.

People make melee casters because they like melee casters.

Failedlegend
10-09-2010, 08:22 PM
People make melee casters because they like melee casters.

Don't worry about the H4X Virus Turbine is vaccinated.

Quarterling
10-09-2010, 08:43 PM
/signed

testing1234
10-09-2010, 09:03 PM
it just doesn't look "cool" holding two scepters, even the DDO commerial pictures and loading screens never have any 2 club weilding casters its always a staff user or caster not holding any weapon at all and has magival effects on his hands.

this can be implemented without messing up game balance so its just visually, even so scrolls do favor 2 1h weapons since u can use 1h and a scroll at the same time

/signed

Entelech
10-09-2010, 09:17 PM
The problem with every single MMO I've seen is this:

How do you make a two-handed staff that is as effective as two one-handed items? You need to make a 2H Staff that is *at least* twice as powerful as an equivalent 1H item. Probably more, because it's not as flexible.

About the only one that we have that qualifies is the one that drops in the Accursed Ascension raid.

Quarterling
10-09-2010, 09:29 PM
How do you make a two-handed staff that is as effective as two one-handed items? You need to make a 2H Staff that is *at least* twice as powerful as an equivalent 1H item. Probably more, because it's not as flexible.

My thoughts...

1. Buy something like a "Quarterstaff Blank" from the DDO Store for some Turbine Points.
2. The "Quarterstaff Blank" allows you to mix in two weapons using the Stone of Change.
3a. Put "Q Blank" and a weapon like "+2 flaming mace of greater spell pen V" into Stone of Change and mix.
3b. Half of the staff (the main-hand) now has "+2 flaming of greater spell pen V". The mace was destroyed in mixing process.
4a. Put "+2 Q Blank with flaming of greater spell pen V" and a weapon like "+3 shock club of greater ice lore" into Stone of Change and mix.
4b. Other half (the off-hand) now has "shock of greater ice lore"
5. The staff only takes on highest "plus modifier" and becomes a +3 instead of +2.

~~~Final Item~~~
+3 Quarterstaff of flaming of greater spell pen V and shock of greater ice lore

Yes it is long, but I would love this.

FaSo
10-09-2010, 09:42 PM
/signed

I like quarters idea alot, that was my basic idea but he beat me to it :(

Jaid314
10-10-2010, 02:16 AM
My thoughts...

1. Buy something like a "Quarterstaff Blank" from the DDO Store for some Turbine Points.
2. The "Quarterstaff Blank" allows you to mix in two weapons using the Stone of Change.
3a. Put "Q Blank" and a weapon like "+2 flaming mace of greater spell pen V" into Stone of Change and mix.
3b. Half of the staff (the main-hand) now has "+2 flaming of greater spell pen V". The mace was destroyed in mixing process.
4a. Put "+2 Q Blank with flaming of greater spell pen V" and a weapon like "+3 shock club of greater ice lore" into Stone of Change and mix.
5. The staff only takes on highest "plus modifier" and becomes a +3 instead of +2.

~~~Final Item~~~

potential problem...

consider a melee staff user. they would be able to combine, say, a holy +5 (stunning +10) club with a metalline +1 (seeker +10) club and get a quarterstaff that would be probably a little too good. then again, i'm thinking of making an acrobat, so i wouldn't mind too much. except that i wouldn't like to have to spend turbine points on gear to become a viable player. but i'd get some truly ridiculous quarterstaves out of it. especially if i got to start putting pre-crafted items in to be combined (for example, if both ends had force burst and icy burst added in). of course, if they did that, then you'd definitely start hearing about it from the rest of the THF gang...

what *could* be acceptable is if, say, with favor from the twelve you could buy up half-staves which could be combined. in this case, it wouldn't be nearly as bad, because it wouldn't be the full spectrum of abilities... you wouldn't be able to choose the really ridiculous stuff, just stuff that's reasonable. (heck, i wouldn't even necessarily tie this to favor if you had to trade in random items to get the appropriate prefix/suffix)) you want an evocation-boosting quarterstaff with major ice lore and superior freeze VI? i have no real objection to that. that's pretty much just flavor.

twizznach
10-10-2010, 02:32 AM
I dont know what you guys are talking about there are pleny of awsome staffs in the game.

1 Staff of the Petitioner
2 Epic staff of inner sight
3 Epic staff of arcane power
4 Dream splitter
5 Epic Tinder

Not saying that we couldnt use more but these are some amazing items.

Spisey
10-10-2010, 02:32 AM
OMB just imagine dual wielding Epic Staff of Arcane Power and Epic Staff of Inner sight!:eek:

/signed!

This is a /win! :D

Doxmaster
10-10-2010, 02:51 AM
Another solution would be:

Having the random loot tables include staffs with several connected magic related abilities (loads of staffs will have to be created by the devs by hand, but this would produce the most satisfying and reasonable result); hell, if it doesnt step on Archmage toes too much, a small clicky could be included in this as well.

And thus, we get sometihng like "Fire lore (III), combustion, +1 evocation dc, -fireball 5x-, -scorching ray 5x-, -burning hands 10x-" staffs, or "+1 enchantment, +1 illusion, Spell penetration (V), -Phantasmal killer 5x-, -Charm monster 5x-, -Suggest 5x- staffs. Useful and usuable.

This would take things out of player hands and still have a fairly satisfying result that comes back to 3.5 roots a bit; Staffs having spells in them.

Jaid314
10-10-2010, 03:36 AM
Another solution would be:

Having the random loot tables include staffs with several connected magic related abilities (loads of staffs will have to be created by the devs by hand, but this would produce the most satisfying and reasonable result); hell, if it doesnt step on Archmage toes too much, a small clicky could be included in this as well.

And thus, we get sometihng like "Fire lore (III), combustion, +1 evocation dc, -fireball 5x-, -scorching ray 5x-, -burning hands 10x-" staffs, or "+1 enchantment, +1 illusion, Spell penetration (V), -Phantasmal killer 5x-, -Charm monster 5x-, -Suggest 5x- staffs. Useful and usuable.

This would take things out of player hands and still have a fairly satisfying result that comes back to 3.5 roots a bit; Staffs having spells in them.

ugh. maybe if you include the garbage clickies as a freebie. there's a huge difference between the archmage spells (which are basically the exact same thing as regular spells only dirt cheap) and offensive spell clickies (which are kinda vaguely like the spells, only they don't cost any spell points... which is good, because they're not worth any spell points they suck so bad. and are also not really worth the time spent trying to activate the item come to think of it. nor are they actually worth having attached to something you're using and driving it's value up thus making it a higher level item thus making it less useful because by the time you can use it you want something better anyways)

so, i guess if they wanted to hand out staves with useful stuff and then also hand out a couple of fireball clickies (that don't boost the ML) to go with it, that'll be real handy if you ever decide to take your level 20 caster to korthos on casual since you won't have to spend actual spell components. (note: the fireball clicky will probably have a lower or at best equal save DC to the level 1 spells of most level 1 casters in korthos. that's how utterly pathetic a fireball clicky is)

Doxmaster
10-10-2010, 03:53 AM
Heh. Forgot to include that the spells should be boosted to match caster level, have the casters boosts applied, etc. as per what I'm working off of; 3.5 staffs indeed go by it's current caster's level if its own level isnt higher.Which was why I was worried about the "stepping on archmage toes" thing. Alternately, it could just have damage boosting effects/feats applied; if you are using a level 6-8 item at level 20, what were you expecting really?

The whole package is the equivalent of a normal mage item of that level; if fire lore (III) appears normally at that level and combustion appears normally at that level, the staff with "Fire lore (III), combustion, +1 evocation dc, -fireball 5x-, -scorching ray 5x-, -burning hands 10x-" would appear at that level: a fire lore item with 1 DC boost and a combustion item. Clickies would indeed be free (and possibly scale slightly slower than the lore), unless you count them as the combustion item having something else on it in which case they are still basically free.

fuzzy1guy
10-10-2010, 04:36 AM
/signed...
But i dont think they would make anything worth using as a 2h and be worth losing the versitility of 1h that we have now.. Anything we would want would be called overpowered easy button and wouldn't stick around long. At best we get tiny improvements at a time now. And they could never make the jump from 1h to 2h for casters be worth it. AND be obtainable in a reasonable length of time.

The one option we have now.. Staff of the Petitioner isn't really an improvment over 1h. And is pretty much almost impossible to get for many people.

And the epic options? While marginally better than 1h in some cases... Still ignores the other 99% of the game content.

The melee weapon options out there now is just HUGE compared to the tiny # of things a caster wants and uses... Look at almost any caster in the game and you know exactly what they're using.. As those are the only good options. Theres just not much variety in the equipment any given caster is using.

Turbine really seems to hate casters.. Make it difficult for many people to enjoy for a variety of reasons.
But treat them as a cash cow who's almost forced into buying store pots weekly to keep up in high lvl / epic content.

bi-polar game managment!

Still.. some cool looking staves would be nice.

Rakian_Knight
10-10-2010, 04:52 PM
/signed...
The one option we have now.. Staff of the Petitioner isn't really an improvment over 1h. And is pretty much almost impossible to get for many people.

Really? +2 Necro DC, +2 Enchantment DC, -10% spell cost what 1 hand item could match that besides maybe skiver. And the Necro. raid is (in my opinion) one of the most fun because you do have the real chance of failure that most of the other raids.

To the original post:
I agree that random staffs need to be boosted for casters so that we would use them more.

One idea that I've had (not sure if anyone else has said this or not) but what if you add some abilities that you can only find on staffs.

Some examples might be maybe some meta magic abilities like the rods in pnp. I'm going to use Extend for example but having this for the others as well.

Lesser Extend Metamagic Clickie (1/rest): +2 cost / Reduces the cost of Extend to 0 for 30 seconds.
Extend Metamagic Clickie (1/rest): +4 cost / Reduces the cost of Extend to 0 for 1 min.
Greater Extend Metamagic Clickie (1/rest): +6 cost / Reduces the cost of extend to 0 for 2 min.

Lessen Extend I: +3 cost / Reduces the cost of Extend by 1
Lessen Extend II: +6 cost / Reduces the cost of Extend by 2

Also adding the clickies that scale with caster level would be another great additions that might be able to compete with the duel abilities you can get with scepters or daggers.

I'm not sure if my ideas would end up becoming over powered compared to other options but I know that Staffs both named and random need something to compete with one handed options.

voodoogroves
10-10-2010, 04:58 PM
I'd love to see q-staffs get a boost, don't care what form it takes. More uniques, some special qualities on random drops, whatever.

TheDearLeader
10-10-2010, 05:02 PM
I want to see the upgraded Dreamspitters get the same 1d10 damage that Rahl's Might does along with its Holy Damage. That by itself would be worthy of thanks.

Falco_Easts
10-10-2010, 10:45 PM
My thoughts...

~~~Final Item~~~

This.
As a disclaimer make only magic affecting attributes i.e Potency, Fire Lore etc... or at the most, one non magic affecting ability i.e Holy, flaming etc... applicable.
Cannot be done with named staff's, random loot only.

Falco_Easts
10-10-2010, 10:46 PM
/not signed

C-C-C-Combo breaker!!!

Yeah, because that's a gamebreaker.

/facepalm

Failedlegend
10-11-2010, 07:50 PM
This.
As a disclaimer make only magic affecting attributes i.e Potency, Fire Lore etc... or at the most, one non magic affecting ability i.e Holy, flaming etc... applicable.
Cannot be done with named staff's, random loot only.

Alternatively make it Wiz/Sorc only that's unaffected by UMD.

rjedi
10-11-2010, 08:14 PM
My thoughts...

~~~Final Item~~~

1. dont have it where it can only be required from store
2. have it to where you can put a club/sceptor in the stone of change and you get 3 shards based on the 3 properties of the club ie. put in +3 holy of potency you get a potency shard, +3 shard, and holy shard. Then have the blank staff where you can place 3 shards in of your choice. So you could have a potency, penetration, and combustion and still have room for the stunning, metaline, holy but with no to hit :)

Quarterling
10-11-2010, 08:50 PM
1. dont have it where it can only be required from store

The only reason I said it should be available from the DDO store is that Turbine might be more willing to consider something if there is something in it for them (i.e. money). Preferably though, buying it in-game without using TP is ideal.

2. have it to where you can put a club/sceptor in the stone of change and you get 3 shards based on the 3 properties of the club ie. put in +3 holy of potency you get a potency shard, +3 shard, and holy shard. Then have the blank staff where you can place 3 shards in of your choice. So you could have a potency, penetration, and combustion and still have room for the stunning, metaline, holy but with no to hit :)

That too is a good idea, but given how that form of crafting seems MUCH easier than the current crafting ways (GS, especially DT which is a pain, though it is supposed to be made easier in U7), I don't think we could ever get that lucky. :D

Meretrix
10-11-2010, 09:01 PM
I would be happy with random staves that had "superior potency VI + major lore, or major lore + major lore. Nothing fancy is required just an option that would be on par with duel wielding a scepter and a club, would be purely an aesthetic change.

Failedlegend
10-12-2010, 05:49 AM
I would be happy with random staves that had "superior potency VI + major lore, or major lore + major lore. Nothing fancy is required just an option that would be on par with duel wielding a scepter and a club, would be purely an aesthetic change.

or if my Wiz has two clubs equipped just make it LOOK like a staff

fuzzy1guy
10-12-2010, 06:07 AM
New ddo store item: Duct tape.

kruggh_ddo
10-12-2010, 06:17 AM
/signed

An (easy ?) option could be to create some new type of greensteel staff where you can put more powers that the usual greensteel weapons, but with caster only powers.

dunklezhan
10-12-2010, 06:18 AM
New ddo store item: Duct tape.

Win!

More seriously, I am in favour of more staffs aimed at wizards/sorcerors, provided they're not all epic-only or require fiendishly complicated crafting (simple crafting is fine, something like GS really, just no).

The only other caveat I would put on this is thus: All staff aimed at wiz/sorc MUST have a knob on the end. A wizard's staff has a knob on the end. Everyone knows that, and people also NEED to know to fear my phenomenal cosmic power just by looking at me, and there aren't enough pointy hats in the game to make it possible any other way.

So long as that's agreed: /signed.

Failedlegend
10-12-2010, 06:53 AM
New General store item: Duct tape.

fixed :p......+1 though :)

Antheal
10-12-2010, 06:58 AM
It seems all weapons can have one prefix and one suffix.

Dual-wielding two mage clubs allows the player character to have the effects of two weapon prefixes and two weapon suffixes to amplify and influence their spellcasting and other abilities.

How about Staves that only caster classes can use, which have two prefixes and two suffixes on them.

Rakian_Knight
10-13-2010, 11:30 AM
Bump because I refuse to let this thread die.

rjedi
10-14-2010, 04:29 PM
The only reason I said it should be available from the DDO store is that Turbine might be more willing to consider something if there is something in it for them (i.e. money). Preferably though, buying it in-game without using TP is ideal.
ok true, but make I would like to see it bound to character and drop similar to the mysterious buable ~ low drop rate and boring quest

That too is a good idea, but given how that form of crafting seems MUCH easier than the current crafting ways (GS, especially DT which is a pain, though it is supposed to be made easier in U7), I don't think we could ever get that lucky. :D

I think aquiring the weapons that you WANT would be harder and possibly make it different and make a new quest line on this like the DT runes where you have to put together a staff using ingred ect.

EDIT: Maybe make a GS blank qstaff that can do this, have the GS blank + 10 epic token + 3 shards that are broken up of the weapons i was talking about

Raodin-bel-iori
10-25-2010, 01:48 PM
Totally, right now no casters are using staves because individual scepters or clubs are always better. Perhaps they could let casters carry and use staves one handed Gandalf style. That could be a pretty neat solution too.

Jaid314
10-25-2010, 02:24 PM
Totally, right now no casters are using staves because individual scepters or clubs are always better. Perhaps they could let casters carry and use staves one handed Gandalf style. That could be a pretty neat solution too.

actually, i see casters using staves. the problem is that there's only a tiny handful of decent ones.

windchant
10-25-2010, 09:10 PM
dual staff? lol will they still glancing blow? i would make a acrobat/monk with 1 level splash into wiz/sorc if they do that..

Zachski
10-25-2010, 10:55 PM
Actually, I would like to see prefixes/suffixes that are only available to Quarterstaffs, and give them TWO suffixes instead of just one.

Examples of unique effects:

Staff Focus: Empower: Add 20% damage at the cost of 10 additional SP. Stacks with Empower and Maximize. (Weapon Title: Empowered)
Staff Focus: Maximize: Add 30% damage at the cost of 15 additional SP. Stacks with Empower and Maximize. (Weapon Title: Maximized)

Example: Empowered Staff of Maximized Fire Potency

Also, another thing I would like to see is, since DDO is fond of splitting weapons into separate weapon types (see: Daggers and Throwing Daggers), this could be done, too: Battlestaff.

It's virtually identical to the Quarterstaff, but it gets melee mods, is affected by TWF, and can be Finessed, and the designs are different.