PDA

View Full Version : Paladin Holy Sword Spell

TechNoFear
10-08-2010, 03:42 AM
I use Holy Sword on both my paladins and find it both effective, but somewhat time consuming / annoying.
[getting the blanks for all the weapons I need, going to a hostile area and resetting all my weapon sets each time I log in to my paladins].

Could the blanks be added to more brokers?
Could the blanks of the same weapon stack?
Could we see more types of blanks (a light slashing weapon for example)?
Can the new tech for Master Touch improve the way Holy Sword works?

I think a lower level version would also be a great addition, especially if it was to the paladin's limited selection of 2nd level spells.

TheDearLeader
10-08-2010, 03:49 AM
This.. sounds pretty good.

Stacking Holy Swords, or perhaps a one-time purchase item that requires a new recast, have always been hanging around in my head as "what ifs"

Additional weapons would be great. I find it funny that Exotic Weapons like Khopesh, Bastard Sword, and Dwarven Axe have Holy Sword mats, but not Falchions or other martial weapons.

A level 2 version that only makes it Holy + Cold Iron wouldn't be bad.

Bacab
10-08-2010, 03:55 AM
I do not like the idea of a lower level "Holy Sword"
*There is a Magical Sword Spell in PnP (not sure about DDO) that allows you to add a +1 and additional +1 every 3 levels. maybe that could work? BTW it does not stack onto an already magical weapon.

I do not think the blank weapons should stack...
*Do 2 Mineral 2 Weapons that are exactly alike stack? Do 2 Sunblades stack?

100% agree that EVERY Martial Weapon should be availible for Holy Sword.

TheDearLeader
10-08-2010, 04:00 AM
I do not like the idea of a lower level "Holy Sword"
*There is a Magical Sword Spell in PnP (not sure about DDO) that allows you to add a +1 and additional +1 every 3 levels. maybe that could work? BTW it does not stack onto an already magical weapon.

I do not think the blank weapons should stack...
*Do 2 Mineral 2 Weapons that are exactly alike stack? Do 2 Sunblades stack?

100% agree that EVERY Martial Weapon should be availible for Holy Sword.

Divine Favor pretty much does what you're talking about in the first paragraph.

No, Min IIs don't stack. Sunblades don't stack. They aren't spell components though, are they? Imagine if Balls of Bat Guano and Sulfur, or Hearts of Hens didn't stack. Also, these items don't disappear and necessitate you re-acquiring them every time you login, as Holy Swords do.

Bacab
10-08-2010, 04:12 AM
Divine Favor pretty much does what you're talking about in the first paragraph.

No, Min IIs don't stack. Sunblades don't stack. They aren't spell components though, are they? Imagine if Balls of Bat Guano and Sulfur, or Hearts of Hens didn't stack. Also, these items don't disappear and necessitate you re-acquiring them every time you login, as Holy Swords do.

Divine favor is an attack bonus and damage bonus that does stack with a magical weapons "+"

Magic Weapon makes a non magical weapon magical. Magical effects to hit and damage. In PnP its typically not the Monty Haul brand and you need magical weapons to break DR- of certain creatures.

Whats bigger...a Greataxe or a pinch of bat guano?

I get what you are saying. But thematically...you should not be able to have a stack of 10 or 12 or 99 or even 1000 Cold Iron Great Axes.

THOUGH how about they let you put those Holy Sword items in a "special pouch" like a bag of holding (so the weight would not matter) like a spell component bag or a collectable bag?

I could get on board with that...since its in a bag of holding...you don't have 1000 great axes strapped on your back.

TheDearLeader
10-08-2010, 04:18 AM
Divine favor is an attack bonus and damage bonus that does stack with a magical weapons "+"

Magic Weapon makes a non magical weapon magical. Magical effects to hit and damage. In PnP its typically not the Monty Haul brand and you need magical weapons to break DR- of certain creatures.

Whats bigger...a Greataxe or a pinch of bat guano?

I get what you are saying. But thematically...you should not be able to have a stack of 10 or 12 or 99 or even 1000 Cold Iron Great Axes.

THOUGH how about they let you put those Holy Sword items in a "special pouch" like a bag of holding (so the weight would not matter) like a spell component bag or a collectable bag?

I could get on board with that...since its in a bag of holding...you don't have 1000 great axes strapped on your back.

Spell Component Pouches, sadly, will likely never happen for mainline casters, more less Paladins. Making the items in question stackable is easier for them to code.

And reality kinda gets through out the window here, anyway. After all, I have 100 Inventory Spots on my toon. Each and every one of them could get filled with Full Plate, and I'd probably still only be lightly encumbered. Explain that madness.

blitzschlag
10-08-2010, 04:21 AM
I
(a light slashing weapon for example)?

sickle ftw ;)

TechNoFear
10-08-2010, 07:03 AM
It would be great if the Holy Sword spell used another component (each cast) and any Annointed <weapon type> I was holding given the Holy Sword effect (the way Masters Touch works).

This would mean that my weapon sets would not reset each time I log in (and the Holy Swords disipate).

sickle ftw ;)

Kukuri would be nice (more Exhalted Smite crits ftw).

But thematically...you should not be able to have a stack of 10 or 12 or 99 or even 1000 Cold Iron Great Axes.

But I can carry 1,000 Snake Skin gloves (Wiz / Sorc 9th lvl ing.) in one slot?

I think we are splitting hairs (discussing real world properties of imaginary objects in a virtual world).

daniel7
10-08-2010, 08:25 PM
How about they let us cast Holy Sword in public areas? I would like to make a holy sword in a tavern and swap the spell out right then and there. It is a pain that holy swords can only be bought in one store and they don't stack. For now I just send my wizard to house j and I mail swords over to my paladin every so often so I usually just need to swing by the nearest mail box.

TechNoFear
10-10-2010, 12:45 AM
It is a pain that holy swords can only be bought in one store and they don't stack.

You can also get them in Amarath (divine broker outside the Tavern).

You can also buy a few, destroy/sell them and buy them back before you log off.