PDA

View Full Version : Monk Strike's on Ranged and Thrown Weapons.

Rellos
10-07-2010, 01:31 PM
As the title states. I think that the Strikes that are allowed to be used with weapon types should be able to also be used with Ranged and thrown weapons that allow you to remain centered while you use. This would allow for a lot more interesting build and provide a lot more usefulness to the Zen Archery Feat concept. Obviously strikes that can only be used while unarmed should be discluded. If nessesary, add a range increment on the strike like the sneak attack 30 foot line.

Just an Idea but i would like more responses from others. Especially Dev's if possible. :)

Mobeius
10-07-2010, 01:38 PM
Hey cool idea!

FYI, this really should have been posted in suggestions... dont be suprised if it gets moved...

But I like the idea, not sure how tough it would be to implement or how balancing it would be. If they did this they would probably limit it to a monks elemental strikes and not the specials like Void 4 or Touch of Death. Those two abilites at range would more than likely be OP and broken.

Considering how broken ranged combat is right now I dont see most monks going ranged except in special circumstances.

Rellos
10-07-2010, 01:43 PM
Bah sorry Didn't know where to post it. :rolleyes:

But i agree with the ToD and Void 4 not being shot. But the ability to do the strikes and even Finishers wouldnot only provide archer builds(and throwing builds lol) a bit more DPS, but allow them to fill in a support role with finishers, especially light ones.

Angelus_dead
10-07-2010, 01:49 PM
I've been suggesting that Ki income and Ki attacks be allowed to work with centered ranged weapons since way back before it was possible to TWF handwraps.

However, it should be restricted to working on short range attacks only (to prevent TOD weirdness), with an extended reach if you use centered bows.

Mobeius
10-07-2010, 01:55 PM
Well there are so many forums it can be a bit ignored sometimes... Just generally, Lamma land is for debugging and discussions of the update the are fixing to release. Anything else not pertaining to that a person wishes for consideration by devs for game development... suggestions..

Back to the topic though... Like I said, ranged combat for DDO pretty much stinks with some special exceptions on builds (like repeater rogues) and/or burst damage Rangers with many shot... etc... Thrown Ranged combat stinks even more and shurikens amongst the worst past that...

Even adding an elemental strike to the shuriken wouldnt make monks switch. Now if they made some addition that boosted the snot out of something in ranged then maybe, but the actual ranged combat system as a whole is non-appealing.

Rellos
10-07-2010, 01:55 PM
Well at least we have 2 people on board :D. But again i do not think ToD should be allowed to be used with Ranged attacks. That with slayers would be a bit much IMO.

Mobeius
10-07-2010, 02:01 PM
I've been suggesting that Ki income and Ki attacks be allowed to work with centered ranged weapons since way back before it was possible to TWF handwraps.

However, it should be restricted to working on short range attacks only (to prevent TOD weirdness), with an extended reach if you use centered bows.

I suppose if they could code it for 30 feet, using ToD or Void 4, might not be to OP.

I am just racking my brains with the current abilites of a monk how a monk could/would use anything for ranged with only 1d2 X2 damage.

They should allow Ki Generation and combo moves with a shuriken though, you are cenetered with a Shuriken.

Rellos
10-07-2010, 02:04 PM
Well currently on Lamannia using Longbow with Zen Archery allows you to remain centered.

t0r012
10-07-2010, 02:22 PM
Well currently on Lamannia using Longbow with Zen Archery allows you to remain centered.

yeah there are going to be a lot of confused trolls ' ohh another gimp ranged ranger I'm going to have to chase around for half the map before I squash him'
'wait he isn't running? What the?!?!?!?'

STUNNED (literally)

------
Wow I just realized monk will finally get something with a x3 multiplier, shame it has to be a bow.

Mobeius
10-07-2010, 02:29 PM

Yea that sound cool and all and might be fun to play with but with out the other ranged feats its not going to be good. IDK, maybe a ranger/monk/fighter MC might be able to make more out of it?

Ranged combat needs to be improved still.

Valindria
10-07-2010, 02:36 PM
Could make some fun things:

Elf Arcane Archer Monk

Halfing Throwing star monk.

Darkrok
10-07-2010, 02:46 PM
I see no problem with void IV. As for ToD, unless they change it you can't use it with weapons in general so that one's already addressed. Ditto for stunning fist and quivering palm. Void IV should absolutely be available...it's only vorpal on a 20 and then only useable once per cooldown.

Modinator0
10-07-2010, 03:27 PM
Ranged combat needs to be improved still.

The truest words you've spoken :(

Anyway on the subject at hand, I like the idea but I'd definitely limit it to just elemental strikes and the level 3 path strike. Otherwise going unarmed could become completely useless heh. Though, given kukan-do, most ranged monks would probably be light side anyway

Thrudh
10-07-2010, 04:39 PM
Could make some fun things:

Elf Arcane Archer Monk

This is already fun... I have one... Now that bows will let me remain centered... hoo-boy!

Elf 12/6/2 Monk/Ranger/Fighter

32 point build

STR 14
DEX 18
CON 12
INT 11
WIS 14
CHA 9

Feats (Granted):
Bow Strength
TWF
ITWF