PDA

View Full Version : Live Dev Tracker...

Joseph
10-05-2010, 05:52 PM
The Dev Tracker on Lammania appears to be very nice - with a great deal of Dev comment. That is a good thing.

Would it be possible to get a Dev Tracker for live? Simply a notice from the dev's that a particular issue is noticed or has been noted? Quite often these posts and notes get buried in a thread 40 or 100 posts deep, and many players do not see that a Dev has noted it, and as such ten more threads are created for a different issue - when the issue had been addressed previously (or at least acknowledged by a Dev).

The_Cataclysm
10-05-2010, 05:54 PM
http://forums.ddo.com/turbine_tracker.php?tracker=devtracker

It is at the top of the page.

Tazarith
10-05-2010, 05:57 PM
Our how about a simple indicator or flag on a post that showed a Dev had read or taken note of a particular post?

Would be a great tool for acknowledgement :)

JustWinBaby
10-05-2010, 06:04 PM
Our how about a simple indicator or flag on a post that showed a Dev had read or taken note of a particular post?

The "Read by a Dev" or even better..."Spammed by a Dev" was really cool while it lasted.

Memnir
10-05-2010, 06:10 PM
Would it be possible to get a Dev Tracker for live?Like this (http://forums.ddo.com/turbine_tracker.php?tracker=devtracker)? Been around for a long time now.
(or at least acknowledged by a Dev).You mean like this (http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=3263577&postcount=20)?

Joseph
10-05-2010, 06:10 PM
http://forums.ddo.com/turbine_tracker.php?tracker=devtracker

It is at the top of the page.

This just illustrates my point. Very little (I think none) of what is in that thread is actual 'developer feedback' or acknowledgment of issues. We used to have a pretty regular update ages ago, and whatever the reasons that changed were, there have been a lot of developer posts on a number of issues.

Sometimes people get carried away and fame the devs - after which there are no new posts - or they are less frequent.

The type of thread I am suggesting would not allow user comments - and would just be a place for the developers to say, "Hey, we read your complaints, and we are aware of this."

No chance for the vocal minority to flame a developer who is at the bottom of the Turbine pecking order, but hasn't yet become jaded from four years of forum abuse, who posts and makes positive comments.

Not getting regular feedback in threads could be an indication that the developers are busy working instead of posting in the forums. Likely their job security is performance based. When they do post, and then get eaten by an angry mob, where is the incentive?

This way we can still get comments, but the trash talk would end up in another thread - insulating (to a point) the developers, and encouraging them to make posts that the rest of us could read.

Joseph
10-05-2010, 06:15 PM
You mean like this (http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=3263577&postcount=20)?

That is more what I am talking about (post 20 in the thread). There are many times the post is deeper in a thread and many people might not see it, and thus not know, starting a new thread.

I haven't had the time to play in almost a week now - and as there is no power in my block at the moment, I am in a nearby 24 hour cafe posting a 5AM because I can't play from here (don't want to lug my monster laptop over here anyway).

I could surf all the posts (and often do), but then when there are 4 or 6 pages of responses, I don't have the time to look through all of the pages. If there was a single place where I could see that Devs had posted (XYZ is not working, or we know ABC is broken, or we have heard the player complaints about blah, blah, blah and are looking into it...).

smatt
10-05-2010, 06:18 PM
Simply put the Devs dont' ahve time to interact ALOT on the fourms... They've actualyl been pretty active as of late even outside of the Lama forums though. But you do realise that they simply don't ahve hours upon hours every day to get into what amounts to soem very non-sensical discussion with every Tom, ****, and Harry on these forums. They likely read a lot more than most think they do, how much they actually retain is another matter..... But wading through the mess on a forum such as this is like digging through a big mac trying to find the real hamburger.... Not an easy task...

They've been MUCH better as of late.... But I really doubt that we'll get much more than we're getting now.... The poor Devs would need to be on medication to deal with the peopel around here anymore than they do now.. :D

Memnir
10-05-2010, 06:22 PM
That is more what I am talking about (post 20 in the thread). There are many times the post is deeper in a thread and many people might not see it, and thus not know, starting a new thread.That's why you use the Dev Tracker. It's really exactly what you are asking for, since it tells you the name of the thread their comment was posted in, as well as the forum where the post resides. You can skim, and see if the topic they responded to is in any way of interest to you. And the Dev Tracker takes you directly to their post, where they typically quote whatever it is they are answering.

What you want is preexisting. :)

Pugsley
10-06-2010, 01:33 PM

That can lead to people bumping threads over and over and over until it gets the "read by a dev" tag.

That's why they have to comment sparingly.