PDA

View Full Version : Give high lvl raids increased chance of dropping +3 tomes

sephiroth1084
10-05-2010, 04:46 AM
The Reaver end chest can drop +3 tomes semi-frequently (in my experience) on hard and elite difficulty, and the raid is lvl 14. The Abbot, Hound and VoD can as well (lvl 17, 18 and 18 respectively), but I have only ever seen them drop on hard or elite. As far as I've seen Tower of Despair doesn't drop +3s at all, but can drop +4s with very low frequency from either the end chest or Sulu chest.

My suggestion, is to increase the drop rate for +3 tomes a little bit in The Abbot, Hound and VoD raids, and to increase it significantly in ToD (+3s, not +4s). The Shroud should also have a chance to drop +3 tomes in the second end chest (the one without the ingredients), since A) it is a higher level raid than The Reaver, B) a more difficult/longer raid than Hound or VoD (on normal), and C) needs a little more incentive to stick through to the end instead of recalling before Part 5 finishes.

+2 tomes were rare and basically exclusive to VoN, Titan and DQ for a while, yet are now semi-common drops from level 16+ quests both in chests and as end rewards. I think it's time for +3 tomes to become a little bit more common after the raids which introduced them.

FluffyCalico
10-05-2010, 04:53 AM
+2 tomes were rare and basically exclusive to VoN, Titan and DQ for a while, yet are now semi-common drops from level 16+ quests both in chests and as end rewards..

I must have been on 1 of my breaks. As when the game first came out +2 tomes were very common in Thernal south 3 and Co6 parts 5-6. People would farm them up in both those places. Then when I came back they were common as end rewards from vale quests but no longer dropped from Co6 and thernal. I only took like a 4 month break there...is that the time that you speak of?

And +3 tomes drop quite often in Elite hound and elite vod. +4s in epic DQ and Epic Von6. I have pulled 3 +4 tomes in Von 6 epic just this month. 2 of them I rolled off and 1 I took for myself.

Looonatic
10-05-2010, 04:55 AM
To be honest, I'm not a big fan of rare random treasure anyway. I'd rather see a generic 'resource' drop that can be used to construct literally anything if you gather enough of it.

Unfortunately, that ship has pretty much sailed.

sephiroth1084
10-05-2010, 05:08 AM
I must have been on 1 of my breaks. As when the game first came out +2 tomes were very common in Thernal south 3 and Co6 parts 5-6. People would farm them up in both those places. Then when I came back they were common as end rewards from vale quests but no longer dropped from Co6 and thernal. I only took like a 4 month break there...is that the time that you speak of?

And +3 tomes drop quite often in Elite hound and elite vod. +4s in epic DQ and Epic Von6. I have pulled 3 +4 tomes in Von 6 epic just this month. 2 of them I rolled off and 1 I took for myself.
That was before my time, but the way the game has developed, +2 tomes are only available in the three raids I mentioned before you hit the Vale quests, tend to fall in only a few Vale quest chests on Hard or Elite difficulty, or as end rewards, and then start to fall fairly frequently everywhere thereafter.

I have seen very few +3 tomes in elite Hound and VoD, though I admit that I don't run them on that difficulty with any frequency any more (don't run them at all much at this point)--in around 300 runs of Hound and VoD (combined) I've seen maybe 3 +3 tomes drop in the chests, and have received a +3 tome on about 2/3 of my 20th reward lists. Conversely, I've seen around 10 +3 tomes drop from the Reaver in about as many runs, and have had a +3 tome on all but 1 of my 20th reward lists.

My point, was that I think ToD (and probably epic chests) should have a chance to drop +3 tomes, at something like the frequency we find +2 tomes at end game.

As for +4 tomes, I'm not asking for any increase in their drop rate, though you seem to have a lot of luck there.

FluffyCalico
10-05-2010, 05:10 AM
As for +4 tomes, I'm not asking for any increase in their drop rate, though you seem to have a lot of luck there.

Not really all 3 were the exact same stat and on the exact same toon! And there are things in there I would much rather pull than another BTC tome of the same friggin stat.

sirgog
10-05-2010, 07:12 AM
For what it's worth, the current drop rates (n/h/e), courtesy of an ex-EU player that datamined all sorts of drop rates before they quit the game. Each player has this chance to get a tome. If you get a tome, it has a 16% chance to be Dex, 16% to be Wisdom, and 17% to be any other particular stat.

Reaver +3 tomes: 0.64%/0.68%/0.8%
Abbot +3 tomes: 0.8%/1%/1.25%
VOD +3 tomes: 0/1%/1% (yes, absolutely NO chance on Normal)
HoX +3 tomes: 0/0.8%/1%
Epic DQ2, +3 bound to character tomes: 0.25%
Epic DQ2, +3 bound to account tomes: 0.6% (interestingly, I've never seen one drop)
Epic DQ2, +4 bound to character tomes: 0.25%
Epic VON6, +4 tomes: 0.5%
Tower of Despair, Horoth chest, +4 tomes: 0.27%/0.33%/0.39%
Tower of Despair, Suulomades chest (currently bugged above normal), +4 tomes: 0.12%/0.24%/0.36%

Shroud 20th lists I have no data on, but suspect a 20%, 25% or 30% chance for each type of +3 tome.

sephiroth1084
10-05-2010, 01:32 PM
Interesting. Thanks, Numot (I don't know why I keep referring to you as Numot here, and Sirgog in game :confused: ).

HoX and VoD could probably stand to have a chance of tomes dropping on normal added, while I'd like to see ToD get a +3 tome drop rate (bound or unbound) close to that of the Abbot.

The Shroud should probably get a drop rate for +3 tomes in the end chest similar to that of The Reaver.

And as far as my luck with tomes...I think 2/3 of the +3 tomes I've gotten on my characters, or had appear in the chest for me, are from The Reaver's Fate. The other third are divided amongst Shroud 20s when I didn't take a cleanser, Hound 20s, VoD 20s and an Abbot where I won a tome. I've seen 5 +4 tomes drop at all, one under my name, but it was a +4 Cha while I was on my monk. Blech!

Last night, a guildy and I 2-manned PoP, Crucible, Tor and then the Reaver on Hard, and he opened a +3 Str tome, but looted it thinking it was a Con tome (he was on a sorcerer, while I was on my paladin who needs a +3 Str tome). I think he was more upset about taking it than I was. Sounded like he was going to go jump out a window or something, but I told him it was okay because I knew he was exhausted and a bit tipsy. /cry

That's what got me thinking about it: I've seen maybe 4 +3 tomes drop in the end chests of Hound and VoD combined and probably a dozen in Reaver.