PDA

View Full Version : Sex Change

Tazarith
10-04-2010, 06:05 PM
If you are one of those few like me who have made a warforge character, spent time and money to level them and then wondered - hhmm... that docent just doesn't look all that masculine OR uumm..did my character just grunt like a female tennis player? Nah..must be my imagination. And then one day actually paid attention to your Character Stat Sheet.

Yep, that's right. You've got a female WF on your hands and didn't know it.

Obviously, the default sex is female when using the character generator and for a WF there aren't immediate differences between the look of the sexes unlike other "races".

Now, I'm not trying to be sexually biased what-so-ever. I do have toons of other races that are female because I like the look and they ofcourse were planned and named accordingly.

But honestly, I wanted a male character and gave him/her a masculine name. So, in the event that this might happen its impossible to correct the mistake.

Please Devs, supply us (dumb me) with something we can purchase obviously through the ddo store that we can use to change our character's sex. It would be rare I know, but its the only thing left we can't change.

We can change alignments if there are not class restrictions, why can't we change sexes?

Thoughts? Flames? Personal stories? All welcome :)

CrescentCalling_5
10-04-2010, 06:28 PM
I'll /sign this just on the incredible number of jokes it will bring

and on the grounds that you send this link to the vatican and any radical religious groups :3

/popcorn

evilness aside

/signed, it'd really **** me off if I got to level 20 then found out my elf looked feminine because it was a female xD though I'd be disappointed when I switched it to male :/

Superspeed_Hi5
10-04-2010, 10:24 PM
Well if there were cursed items in the game you might be able to change sex. In pnp there used to be girdles of femininity/masculinity they appeared as girdles of giant strength and when you put one on it would change your sex permanently it also didnt give you the strength bonus you thought you were gonna get.

Wizzly_Bear
10-04-2010, 10:46 PM
/signed

You can change everything else. Why not this? (rhetorical really - I know their probably reasoning, but its archaic).

testing1234
10-04-2010, 11:09 PM
/signed

not like sex has a direct impact on the characters stats or similar and with the resurrection mechanic already in game why not should not take much developer time to add that would been better spent elsewere.

Wizzly_Bear
10-04-2010, 11:43 PM
/signed

not like sex has a direct impact on the characters stats or similar and with the resurrection mechanic already in game why not should not take much developer time to add that would been better spent elsewere.
I doubt it would've taken more than another 15 minutes tops to have enabled this when they were working on TRs. No, the reason its not in is because sexuality in general in much of the "Western World" (especially the U.S.) (and especially "divergent" sexuality) is not acceptable fare for discussion, acceptance, experimentation, or encouragement and the argument would be made by someone somewhere that allowing sex changes in a game would proselytize it in real life. Of course, I'm not sure then why race changes were allowed. I suppose because race isn't as incendiary a topic as it once was and sexuality seems to be becoming much moreso.

Lithic
10-05-2010, 12:28 AM
I doubt it would've taken more than another 15 minutes tops to have enabled this when they were working on TRs. No, the reason its not in is because sexuality in general in much of the "Western World" (especially the U.S.) (and especially "divergent" sexuality) is not acceptable fare for discussion, acceptance, experimentation, or encouragement and the argument would be made by someone somewhere that allowing sex changes in a game would proselytize it in real life. Of course, I'm not sure then why race changes were allowed. I suppose because race isn't as incendiary a topic as it once was and sexuality seems to be becoming much moreso.

http://images.sodahead.com/polls/000475702/polls_tin_foil_hat_3029_370035_answer_3_xlarge.jpe g

You are likely completely off base (hence the picture). Several things in game depend on your character's sex. Off the top of my head:

1) Sound files (rage, misc grunts)
2) (General): Soandso invites you to join HER party
3) a few NPC dialogue options

Depending on how these things are coded and interact, it could be very difficult to slap some code together for a swap without ending up witha buggy assortment of male and female chunks of character, leading to serious problems. Or maybe it's really easy, but they didn't feel like doing it at the time.

In any case, to suggest that Turbine is promoting an anti-transgender agenda is ludicrous.

Wizzly_Bear
10-05-2010, 12:31 AM
You are likely completely off base (hence the picture). Several things in game depend on your character's sex. Off the top of my head:

1) Sound files (rage, misc grunts)
2) (General): Soandso invites you to join HER party
3) a few NPC dialogue options

Depending on how these things are coded and interact, it could be very difficult to slap some code together for a swap without ending up witha buggy assortment of male and female chunks of character, leading to serious problems. Or maybe it's really easy, but they didn't feel like doing it at the time.
Possibly true.

In any case, to suggest that Turbine is promoting an anti-transgender agenda is ludicrous.
That's not what I was suggesting. Rather, I was suggesting that they would not want to become entangled in such a mess and chose to pre-emptively stay out of it.

AyumiAmakusa
10-05-2010, 12:39 AM
Well if there were cursed items in the game you might be able to change sex. In pnp there used to be girdles of femininity/masculinity they appeared as girdles of giant strength and when you put one on it would change your sex permanently it also didnt give you the strength bonus you thought you were gonna get.

That's perfect!

Introduce that into the DDO Store but make it usable once.

Girdle of masculinity/femininity - Not happy with who you are? Wish you were different? Change your gender today with our all new Girdle! Just wear this once and presto, you're a different gender! Why wait? Buy your very own girdle today!

Disclaimer: Turbine is not liable for any accidental gender changes, side effects, e-peen shrinkage, or ambiguous genitalia.

Calebro
10-05-2010, 12:55 AM
This thread is SOOO not what I was hoping it would be....

Tazarith
10-05-2010, 07:01 AM
After having slept on it, I was thinking the quick solution would be to include the option of changing sexes using tools that are already in place. The purchasable Lesser Heart of the Woods could be altered to include this option in the redo character creation with no harm done. I see no HUGE coding issues as described by.....

[IMG]Depending on how these things are coded and interact, it could be very difficult to slap some code together for a swap without ending up witha buggy assortment of male and female chunks of character, leading to serious problems.

No one else has had this issue before? I know of atleast one of other in my guild who did the same thing.

I guess most would be embarrased to admit :)

8BitBanger
10-05-2010, 08:07 AM
/signed - I did the same thing with one of my Forge'd, just noticed it the other day, quite a shock.

deathtouch
10-05-2010, 08:16 AM
/Signed... Did this a while back with my WF wizard.. and just recently with my wf Barb sighs....

Thriand
10-05-2010, 08:21 AM
I plan on TRing my halfling female into a halforc, but I find the idea of playing a female halforc appalling.

VonBek
10-05-2010, 08:45 AM
Per lore, WF are gender neutral, though some adopt gender a persona to more easily integrate to fleshie society. I suppose some might revisit their choices as they learn more about the cultures and norms around them. Perhaps Euphonia could re-open her old digs as a Gender Bender Clinic? ;)

Through alt-itis, I've learned to watch that gender selector at the bottom of the Character Generator. However, some players keep fairly static character rosters. And, given the state of Voice Chat volume levels, its easy to not notice the sound cues for a very long time.

Implementing it seems to have little to do with graphical appearance, and more to do with the persona evoked by the aforementioned sound files, etc... I hope this would be a simple database edit/sound file linking sort of enhancement.

Sintwar
10-05-2010, 11:40 AM
Hah kinda reminds me of the first time I beat Metroid, only to find out Samus was a chick!!! :P

cdbd3rd
10-05-2010, 11:50 AM
Been there.

In the meanwhile - If Bob is sounding a bit too much like Roberta, you could always grab a Name Change for the char. ;)

...once they turn the Premmie Services back on.