PDA

View Full Version : The almost impossible quest or raid "Legendary"

maddmatt70
10-01-2010, 01:20 PM
I see a variety of achievements posted in the achievement section on the forums, but the ultimate achievement or goal to strive for in my opinion would be beating the almost impossible quest or raid. Determining a strategy to beat an almost impossible quest or raid and executing that strategy would be the most fun I and some of the others that play this game could have. D&D and DDO is about teamwork in a party/group setting not about individualism or even really about speed of completion. We could use some especially taxing group or party situations because that is what the game is about.

I am not suggesting that such a quest or raid would be an extensive commercial success because most players that play this game are not interested in such a concept so I would just make 1-2 of these quests/raids a year to start at least until feasiblity is determined then if there is alot of interest possible expansion to more quests/raids.

Instead of Epic rules this would follow either an additional ruleset of legendary whether legendary had its own coding or it is just specific to that particular quest/raid. The quest/raid itself would be a new quest/raid in order to provide some foreign challenges instead of a regurgitation of an old raid/quest. This should assume a high caliber of gear and provide a variety of challenges for the 4 base classes Arcane, Divine, Melee, Utility.

There would be a nice reward for completing this quest/raid and perhaps some grinding reward system as well.

This is as I said not a general mechanic because of its likely limited commercial appeal, but is targetted at a subset of the player base and something for a decent subset of the player base to strive for. A nice suggestion would be something that signifies legendary status such as I beat the X Legendary quest should somehow be put in a player's bio when you look at their bio and/or put on their MYDDO character page.

kinar
10-01-2010, 01:22 PM
So you are talking about the abbot raid before it was modified/fixed?

edit- decided to have something useful here...

It would seem to me that the only thing this would accomplish is allowing Turbine to watch people attempting to accomplish it with the idea of seeing what kind of exploits those users came up with...

with example being the abbott raid. For a very long time, the only way it was beat was via exploits. If turbine simply used that raid as an example of how to design dungeons that can't be exploited (by either fixing the exploits or by not putting the exploitable aspects into other dungeons), then they would go a long way to making the game better...

maddmatt70
10-01-2010, 06:55 PM
So you are talking about the abbot raid before it was modified/fixed?

edit- decided to have something useful here...

It would seem to me that the only thing this would accomplish is allowing Turbine to watch people attempting to accomplish it with the idea of seeing what kind of exploits those users came up with...

with example being the abbott raid. For a very long time, the only way it was beat was via exploits. If turbine simply used that raid as an example of how to design dungeons that can't be exploited (by either fixing the exploits or by not putting the exploitable aspects into other dungeons), then they would go a long way to making the game better...

I would not look to the old abbot raid that was not working as intended as the proper analogy, although healing through the inferno was a nice challenge back in the really olden days.

redoubt
10-02-2010, 09:18 AM
To an old guy this sounds like what Shade was saying a year before epic came out.

The give us something challenging line. He asked for something to do for pride. It wasn't supposed to affect the rest of the game. But...

I my opinion, epic has greatly affected the rest of the game (and not for the better.) Changing spells and dungeons are high on my list of negative affects. They have also spent an (apparently) large amount of time working on epic quests and loot that could have been spent on the regular game.

This makes me fearful of such an idea.

maddmatt70
10-02-2010, 12:03 PM
To an old guy this sounds like what Shade was saying a year before epic came out.

The give us something challenging line. He asked for something to do for pride. It wasn't supposed to affect the rest of the game. But...

I my opinion, epic has greatly affected the rest of the game (and not for the better.) Changing spells and dungeons are high on my list of negative affects. They have also spent an (apparently) large amount of time working on epic quests and loot that could have been spent on the regular game.

This makes me fearful of such an idea.

You are correct that Shade's post probably did have an influence on the creation of Epic and what it is like. I can recall he actually said mobs should have zillion hp in this mode and the like. I am not looking for another whole mode like epic, but rather just a couple of quests a year that really can challenge people. Something is missing in DDO for those that like to challenge themselves and Epic did not fully solve that for people.

NinjaNeed
10-02-2010, 12:17 PM
This is very similar to EQ2's mythical weapon timeline (and many other timelines before that) and imo is a GREAT idea!

You pick up a quest for a specific item which is the single best item for any class in that slot in the game, by a long long way! But make it VERY hard (or at least very long) to get it. In EQ2's mythical line you needed to do about 100 things that could take between 3 days and 3 weeks just to get the epic version of the weapon, then you needed to kill 3 top raid bosses to get the mythical weapon.

An example in DDO could be the need to farm 50 rare drops from rare mobs. They would need to have about a 10% drop chance per person and would drop from any rare in any of the level 20+ rated wilderness areas (think Vale, Revers Refuge, the Devil place etc). Then you would need to get flagged for every raid in the game and then kill all the main raid bosses in the game (say HoX, VOD, Shroud, Abbot, ToD etc). You could also limit it to elite raid kills (or even epic raid kills if you were to include the raids that can be done on epic difficulty).

What I would also like is a x4 raids needing 24 people instead of 12. That could be interesting.