PDA

View Full Version : Puzzle solving boxes for rogues?

Sintwar
09-20-2010, 09:12 AM
So, as fun as it is to stand around for a half an hour+ while someone runs around and solves a giant room size puzzle while someone else runs around behind him messing it all up, I would like to maybe see a puzzle box (sort of like a trap box) that has to be found by searching, and has a disarm DC based on the difficulty/size of the puzzle that will just instantly solve a puzzle. So if you succeed on the puzzle disarm, the gears all just move and shift the puzzle into the correct alignment immediately.

And of course if there is no rogue in the group capable of disarming it, the puzzle would just need to be solved as normal.

Just a thought.

rimble
09-20-2010, 09:19 AM
It's not a horrible idea. This is one of the disconnects between the game (both PnP and DDO) and reality--how can my (potentially drunk, stoned, tired, overworked, etc) self possibly reproduce my characters 36+ Intelligence? I can't. He could solve a Rubik's cube just by glancing at it, I have to smash it and put it back together.

Darkrok
09-20-2010, 09:38 AM
I loved that when RP'ing in D&D. You're sitting there, half awake, hung over. You look at the DM and say, "Man, my character has an 18 int. What does he think?" :)

platonicx
09-20-2010, 09:44 AM
Yeah! Let us get the puzzle over with faster so we can left click on monsters! No inteligence stuff i just wanna SMASH !!!
So basically another easy button huh.

If on the other hand ur suggestion was like... make trap boxes a little bit puzzle-like i would so sign. Some sort of mini game to disarm a trap not just a progress bar.Wheres the difficulty would be determined by your DD skill. I dont see room for a classical DnD dice there though. Maybe with every move of the screwdriver you could roll to see if you didnt set the trap off.

Intension
09-20-2010, 09:47 AM
Personally I don't like this idea

It's not a horrible idea. This is one of the disconnects between the game (both PnP and DDO) and reality--how can my (potentially drunk, stoned, tired, overworked, etc) self possibly reproduce my characters 36+ Intelligence? I can't. He could solve a Rubik's cube just by glancing at it, I have to smash it and put it back together.

Player's skills should be part of the game. We are playing on keybords and not with staffs in our hands afterall :)

Draccus
09-20-2010, 09:49 AM
i Loved That When Rp'ing In D&d. You're Sitting There, Half Awake, Hung Over. You Look At The Dm And Say, "man, My Character Has An 18 Int. What Does He Think?" :)

Rofl!

Sintwar
09-20-2010, 10:43 AM
Yeah! Let us get the puzzle over with faster so we can left click on monsters! No inteligence stuff i just wanna SMASH !!!
So basically another easy button huh.

If on the other hand ur suggestion was like... make trap boxes a little bit puzzle-like i would so sign. Some sort of mini game to disarm a trap not just a progress bar.Wheres the difficulty would be determined by your DD skill. I dont see room for a classical DnD dice there though. Maybe with every move of the screwdriver you could roll to see if you didnt set the trap off.

So perhaps you would also like to see some sort of mini game in order to cast spells, heal and resurrect, meditate, pick locks, and just about anything else that will slow down the party even more?

I'm sure you are proud to be the guy that runs around solving the puzzle while screaming into the mic telling everyone else to stand there with their thumb up their arse while you do your thing, but for the rest of us standing around staring at the floor for 30 minutes while you do so, it is boring beyond all belief. So, gtf out of our way, and lets get this party rolling.

CrescentCalling_5
09-20-2010, 11:37 AM
instead of making a puzzle trap box, how about making a Puzzle Source Box. You have to succeed at an INT check:

10 + INT modifier + d20 vs. DC (puzzle's difficulty level)

If you succeed, the gears move into place
If you fail, you can try again
If you fail by more than 5, you cannot try again and another person must try their hand.

Of course if you can't try again you have to go through and solve the puzzle manually :3

Aurora1979
09-20-2010, 11:45 AM
I can sign for some of this, it does kinda make sense. Though i wonder if/ how long it would be until you get pure rogues annoyed that spalshes can do it just as well :)

Having said that, as so often with many of the good suggestions ive seen recently.....

i think this is low on the to do list for the devs.

Jay203
09-20-2010, 11:48 AM
So perhaps you would also like to see some sort of mini game in order to cast spells, heal and resurrect, meditate, pick locks, and just about anything else that will slow down the party even more?

I'm sure you are proud to be the guy that runs around solving the puzzle while screaming into the mic telling everyone else to stand there with their thumb up their arse while you do your thing, but for the rest of us standing around staring at the floor for 30 minutes while you do so, it is boring beyond all belief. So, gtf out of our way, and lets get this party rolling.

so here's a WILD idea
how about instead of standing around with thumbs up their arses, the idle hands actually try to learn the puzzle as well while the one person is solving it? :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Sintwar
09-20-2010, 12:25 PM
Though i wonder if/ how long it would be until you get pure rogues annoyed that spalshes can do it just as well :)

You are a funny guy!!! :P

so here's a WILD idea
how about instead of standing around with thumbs up their arses, the idle hands actually try to learn the puzzle as well while the one person is solving it? :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Believe me, they do! And many times, they manage to undo everything someone else has already done. At least until 1 person tells everyone else to stand aside while he completes it.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy puzzles. I solve Rubik's Cube in under 1 minute, and usually do exactly that while I am sitting there waiting for people in DDO. Puzzles are great! But not when it takes a group 10-30+ minutes of just standing there solving it. Hell, most puzzles in DDO aren't even a challenge, they are just time consuming. And that is what I don't like.

Kinerd
09-20-2010, 01:57 PM
Solving a puzzle is usually fun and requires some intelligence, repeating that solution is usually boring and requires absolutely none. Getting rid of the boring parts of the game is not an easy button, because boredom induced is not a measure of difficulty.

~UltimateSuperman
09-20-2010, 02:05 PM
This could be implemented quite nicely, especially if the puzzle box was unsearchable/unavailable until after the "toon in question" has actually completed the puzzle at least one time...just my 2 cents :)