PDA

View Full Version : Devs: Any plans to ever have double weapons?

Mobeius
09-17-2010, 11:02 AM
With the advent of Half-Orcs coming to the game, is there any plan to have double weapons like the favored weapons of the Half-Orc and the double bladed axe? It would be something I would like to see added eventually.

Symar-FangofLloth
09-17-2010, 11:33 AM
I doubt it.

How do we treat the separate ends? Do they both get the same enhancement? Is each one random from each other? (Thus cutting the odds of getting something good in half.) Do they have double the value as in tabletop, and if so, does that mean you'll be pulling +3/+3 out of the quests everyone else is pulling +5 out of? Say goodbye to ever seeing a +5 Vorpal.
Will they have Greensteel versions? Will both ends be the same? That's half the investment compared to a normal TWF'er. Or will they require double ingredients, whether both ends are the same or not? Now you'll be forever crafting your first weapon unless you're one of the few with millions of larges saved, and if you ever want a different off-hand, well, you can't do that without a whole new weapon.

And then what do we do about Quarterstaves, and the handful of Rogue Acrobats out there that use them with THF? Will there be two ways to wield one?

Not to mention the animation work.

Musouka
09-17-2010, 11:46 AM
From core rules, these double sided weapons are treated as two weapons. That being said, TWF feats would be required to get the most attacks out of it.

Generally, both ends are the same, but there are instances where there is a unique one that is shaped different, but usually at penalty, because you need them to be balanced. Whatever random enhancements are on it apply to both ends (so a +5 would be for both ends), save uniquely rare named items. Yes they have a higher base value, but the value system in this game isn't what drives this game. And base value from the PHB can always be altered by the DMs based upon supply and demand. What if with the arrival of House Tharaashk becoming a recognized noble house comes with the influx of double weapons flooding the market?

Also these weapons are considered Exotic, so it would require a feat to use them, except for the orc double, which a half-orc that grew up with orcs would have that feat granted.

That all being said, a double axe has only 1d8 damage for each end. So it is a pretty big difference in damage from the regular two handed Greataxe at 1d12. It does still garnish the x3 crit, but only on natural 20s. And being considered two weapons instead of a two hander, you don't get the bonus damage from power attack and modifiers.

As for the GS argument, it may require double the ingredients for blanks, being considered two weapons for fighting. Also it's not a good argument. So what if you have to grind double to make enhancements on both ends. That is not going to take anything away from the fact that this is a good suggestion.

Mobeius
09-17-2010, 11:48 AM
I doubt it as well, and I am not implying it would be easy considering each component of the weapon counts as a seperate enchantment. I am sure they could come up with a recipe to make the double weapons for greensteel. How the actual crafting and enchanting would work, I am not sure, but they are pretty clever group of devs as far as I can tell. They like to listen to the community as well which is not common.

Double Weapons are just 2 handed weapons but use the TWF combat pretty much. Without being a programer or on the dev team, I think they still could work on the crafting portion by adding maybe one more small step to crafting recipe that would designate side 1 or side 2 for the empowered crystal. The other option would be to just make in game versions of commonly made weapons, IE: Min II, Rad II, Light II. I know that does not give the personal design but it also does not let them lag behind other weapon users.

Maybe someday DDO 2.0 will have it as I doubt they will ever have a chance to appease this portion of the game. Maybe the other online DnD game later coming out will have it? Who knows. I just thought I would ask after 4 1/2 years of actual game play and waiting for monks, druids, Half Elves, Half Orcs, etc... Just thought I would revisit this topic and see what the devs would/could/If they would say anything on this topic.

Beherit_Baphomar
09-17-2010, 11:58 AM
We already have a double weapon ingame from tome page turn in. I think it a longsword with true law/anarchic and some greater banes.

Someone will post a link shortly I'm sure. On my phone so way to complicated to do so right now.

So, since we already have one why not more?

Mobeius
09-17-2010, 12:10 PM
We already have a double weapon ingame from tome page turn in. I think it a longsword with true law/anarchic and some greater banes.

Someone will post a link shortly I'm sure. On my phone so way to complicated to do so right now.

So, since we already have one why not more?

There is a difference between having double enchantments and being a true double weapon.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s220/jgould2005/DDO/Items/Weapons/Twinblade.jpg

However this is what you are talking about.

Buggss
09-17-2010, 12:13 PM
I would've just said they can't manage spears, what chance have double weapons got? :D

Musouka
09-17-2010, 12:15 PM
but i thought there were a couple spears in this game already? Well at least quarterstaves with piercing/slashing damage.

Raiderone
09-17-2010, 12:16 PM
At one point they were working on Double Bladed weapons for Half-Orcs
back before MOd9.

They even had the Feats in the Compendium at that time.

ghettoGenius
09-17-2010, 12:20 PM
Im pretty sure that traditionally double sided weapons got the full strength bonus (1.5) to all attacks with that weapon. How DDO applies the power attack bonus is something else entirely. I want to say that I think they should get the full power attack bonus (because after all they are using the full force of two hands together to move the weapon), but I'm also thinking this plus the full str multiplier might be a bit too much.

Obviously this weapon type presents its own set of challenges. I always thought it was weird that the TWF feats benefited dual sided weapons. Oh well.

Musouka
09-17-2010, 12:23 PM
Im pretty sure that traditionally double sided weapons got the full strength bonus (1.5) to all attacks with that weapon. How DDO applies the power attack bonus is something else entirely. I want to say that I think they should get the full power attack bonus (because after all they are using the full force of two hands together to move the weapon), but I'm also thinking this plus the full str multiplier might be a bit too much.

Obviously this weapon type presents its own set of challenges. I always thought it was weird that the TWF feats benefited dual sided weapons. Oh well.

However, you're not getting full power of your swings. To properly wield and use both ends of a two sided weapon, you must space your hands out a bit so you have control over both ends. So you can't just put all you got into each swing, as your hands are spaced. That is why it is considered Two Weapons.

However, if you meet the right circumstances, you may wield them with one hand, but you only get the damage of one side of the weapon.

Mobeius
09-17-2010, 05:17 PM
However, you're not getting full power of your swings. To properly wield and use both ends of a two sided weapon, you must space your hands out a bit so you have control over both ends. So you can't just put all you got into each swing, as your hands are spaced. That is why it is considered Two Weapons.

However, if you meet the right circumstances, you may wield them with one hand, but you only get the damage of one side of the weapon.

Thats how I remember it from 3.5... This probably another one on their to do list, if on the list at all any more.