PDA

View Full Version : I love Adobo!

yodino
09-15-2010, 09:24 AM
WARNING!

I've been mulling for the past few weeks about our guild name. Although Adobo was distinctly Filipino and recognizable, it didn't connect with people from other nationalities that were playing during our primetimes. So I've decided to change the guild name to something more universal. Still distinctly Asian, but with a vibe that everyone in Asia and Australia can relate to.

Welcome to the Far East Movement (http://fareastguild.webs.com).

Along with the guild name change and web address, I've upgraded the look and of our website. The changes are subtle but noticeable. This is a step towards the guild's vision as a tightly-knit guild of active, talented players doing end-game content during GMT+8 primetimes.

http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww310/edwin_cute21/baboy.jpg

Adobo is the most popular Filipino dish enjoyed by all classes, and is usually served with steamed white rice. Like the dish, our aim is to make Adobo known to Orien as not just a GMT+8 guild that's comprised mostly of Filipinos. Rather, we aim to show the unique blend of hard work, perseverance, camaraderie, and friendship that exists in our guild just like the spices in our favorite dish.

Are we a raiding guild? Yes and no. We're not after swelling our guild's ranks with as many level 20's as possible and going after all the server firsts. We realize that taking a game too seriously has dangerous real life consequences. The point of playing is to have fun. With that in mind, once it stops being fun for you or your actions cause someone to stop having fun, then that's when the game stops looking like a hobby and more like a job. A crummy job that has no salary and no dental plan.

Does that mean that we're a social guild? Yes and no. Just like everyone else, it's fun to get to level 20 fast. It's fun to dress your character up in the best loot possible. It's fun to TR till your head explodes and you unlock the mysteries of the universe (hence the +2 to all stats/skills). We wish our members only the best when it comes to what makes them happy: endgame raiding, multiple TR's, Epic grinding, etc. But not at the expense of a broken eardrum from getting yelled at because they didn't know what to do or emotional distress resulting from guild leaders and officers stroking their e-peens at the cost of others.

The Recipe:

Estimated cooking time: about 2 weeks.

Adobo Ingredients:

* 1 senile guild leader with a peculiar affinity to miniature giant space hamsters
* 1 cleric that always gets mistaken as a chick even though he's a dude, minced
* 2 sorcerers that activates their wonder twin powers at will, diced
* 1 rickety airship (yes it flies, no it's not the Ritz)
* 1 cup of raiding stuff on elite every week. Astronomical repair bills are secondary to good times on voice chat.
* 2 cups of determination that F2P players can buy all the required packs in the game if they stop spending it on stuff like hair dyes and +1 full plates.
* 1 teaspoon paprika
* 5 laurel leaves (bay leaves)
* 4 tablespoons of grease (as long as it doesn't hurt the quest and its done in good taste)
* 2 tablespoons of keeping our feet on the ground and head from blowing up from too much ego.
* Salt and pepper to taste
* And last, but certainly not least. Anyone who appreciates what we stand for, who we are, and actively plays during on GMT+8 prime time.

There are a few good guilds out there. Phoenix Knights and Epic Fail have some stand up guys that I'm good friends with. Unfortunately, they operate on US prime times. This is our shot at making an active, close-knit guild that loves the game on a GMT+8 timezone, without being ****s.

Thanks for reading this and if your interested, feel free to visit our website at http://adobo.webs.com/ or chat up any of our members in game. We all understand English, contrary to what people might think. ;)

Midgavia
09-20-2010, 02:43 PM
So that's what ADOBO is all about.

yodino
10-03-2010, 06:13 PM
So that's what ADOBO is all about.

Thanks for dropping by Gavi. :)

We usually raid with friends from other guilds on Sundays at 8 pm (GMT+8). We've already completed The Shroud on Elite and VoD/HoX on Hard. I realize this isn't anything major to the more established guilds, but it's a step in the right direction. Did I mention that we shortmanned VoD on hard on our first attempt? That was crazy! I wont name names because I'm bad with names and I might run the risk of leaving someone out from the marathon raids that we did last night, but thanks for the help guys!

Vellrad
10-03-2010, 06:17 PM
The Recipe:

Estimated cooking time: about 2 weeks.

Adobo Ingredients:

* 1 senile guild leader with a peculiar affinity to miniature giant space hamsters
* 1 cleric that always gets mistaken as a chick even though he's a dude, minced
* 2 sorcerers that activates their wonder twin powers at will, diced
* 1 rickety airship (yes it flies, no it's not the Ritz)
* 1 cup of raiding stuff on elite every week. Astronomical repair bills are secondary to good times on voice chat.
* 2 cups of determination that F2P players can buy all the required packs in the game if they stop spending it on stuff like hair dyes and +1 full plates.
* 1 teaspoon paprika
* 4 tablespoons of grease (as long as it doesn't hurt the quest and its done in good taste)
* 2 tablespoons of keeping our feet on the ground and head from blowing up from too much ego.
* And last, but certainly not least. Anyone who appreciates what we stand for, who we are, and actively plays during on GMT+8 prime time.

I hoped for a recipe for food :(

(I'm little hungry now)

yodino
10-03-2010, 08:35 PM
ROFL, here you go Vel.

Pork / Chicken Adobo Recipe

Estimated cooking time: 50 minutes. Adobo is the most popular Filipino dish enjoyed by all classes. Adobo is typically served with steamed white rice.

Adobo Ingredients:

* 1/2 kilo pork cut in cubes + 1/2 kilo chicken, cut into pieces or
* choice of either 1 kilo of pork or 1 kilo of chicken
* 1 head garlic, minced
* 1/2 yellow onion, diced
* 1/2 cup soy sauce
* 1 cup vinegar
* 2 cups of water
* 1 teaspoon paprika
* 4 tablespoons of cooking oil or olive oil
* 2 tablespoons cornstarch
* 3 tablespoons water

Adobo Cooking Instructions:

* In a big sauce pan or wok, heat 2 tablespoons of oil then sauté the minced garlic and onions.
* Add the pork and chicken to the pan. Add 2 cups of water, 1/4 cup of soy sauce, vinegar, paprika and the bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes or when meat is tender.
* Remove the pork and chicken from the sauce pan and on another pan, heat cooking oil and brown the pork and chicken for a few minutes.
* Mix the browned pork and chicken back to the sauce and add cornstarch dissolved in water to thicken.
* Add salt and/or pepper if desired
* Bring to a boil then simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
* Serve hot with the adobo gravy and rice.

Adobo Cooking Tips:

* You have the option to add crushed ginger to the onions and garlic when sautéing. Ginger adds a unique flavor to your pork/chicken adobo.

Aikou
10-04-2010, 01:27 AM
Gotta say, that recipe does sound really tasty, I may have to make some this week.

Also have to add, every time I see this post or see you guys in game...
http://imgtn1.ask.com/ts?t=18265419490661932435&pid=23120&ppid=10

That's what I think of, which is just an amazing seasoning.

Vellrad
10-04-2010, 06:29 AM
ROFL, here you go Vel.

Estimated cooking time: 50 minutes. Adobo is the most popular Filipino dish enjoyed by all classes. Adobo is typically served with steamed white rice.

Adobo Ingredients:

* 1 head garlic, minced
* 1/2 cup soy sauce
* 1 cup vinegar
* 2 cups of water
* 1 teaspoon paprika
* 3 tablespoons water

* In a big sauce pan or wok, heat 2 tablespoons of oil then sauté the minced garlic and onions.
* Add the pork and chicken to the pan. Add 2 cups of water, 1/4 cup of soy sauce, vinegar, paprika and the bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes or when meat is tender.
* Remove the pork and chicken from the sauce pan and on another pan, heat cooking oil and brown the pork and chicken for a few minutes.
* Mix the browned pork and chicken back to the sauce and add cornstarch dissolved in water to thicken.

Adobo Cooking Tips:

* You have the option to add crushed ginger to the onions and garlic when sautéing. Ginger adds a unique flavor to your pork/chicken adobo.

TYVM I must try it :)
(+1 rep :D)

Bekki
10-04-2010, 06:33 AM
TYVM I must try it :)
(+1 rep :D)

MMMMmmmmmm Chicken Adobo... :p

It's how my wife won me Over! :p

yodino
10-04-2010, 09:27 AM
Gotta say, that recipe does sound really tasty, I may have to make some this week.

Also have to add, every time I see this post or see you guys in game...
http://imgtn1.ask.com/ts?t=18265419490661932435&pid=23120&ppid=10

That's what I think of, which is just an amazing seasoning.

Thanks for dropping by Aikou. Lemme know how it goes with the Adobo your cooking up! :)

Legohaiden
10-04-2010, 09:30 AM
Gotta be honost here... that looks like something i wouldnt feed my dog.

but... it might have some crazy good flavor... i have no idea... never tried it. :confused:

yodino
10-04-2010, 09:43 AM

but... it might have some crazy good flavor... i have no idea... never tried it. :confused:

Don't knock it till you've tried it. It's really good, believe me! :D

Legohaiden
10-04-2010, 09:44 AM
Don't knock it till you've tried it. It's really good, believe me! :D

hmmm...

/LFA

(Looking for Adobo)

unscythe
10-04-2010, 09:55 AM

I think it might be because your not familiar with seeing pork cut up that way.

Looks goods.

Legohaiden
10-04-2010, 09:57 AM
I think it might be because your not familiar with seeing pork cut up that way.

Looks goods.

to be honost i dont really eat pork.
last time i had pork was about..... 7 years ago. I thought it was a chicken dish... looks like chicken drumsticks... am i looking at the same picture as you all :confused:

unscythe
10-04-2010, 10:06 AM
to be honost i dont really eat pork.
last time i had pork was about..... 7 years ago. I thought it was a chicken dish... looks like chicken drumsticks... am i looking at the same picture as you all :confused:

It is chicken and pork, you see the drumstick on the left side, and the middle and right side are pork, cut into cubish shapes. Yes we are speaking of the same dish.

Tapsimanxer
10-04-2010, 10:09 AM
how i wish you guys were in argo :(

unscythe
10-04-2010, 10:19 AM
how i wish you guys were in argo :(

The guild or the random posters debating over the picture. :D

yodino
10-04-2010, 09:14 PM
The guild or the random posters debating over the picture. :D

I'm guessing both? ;)

A little banter over food never really hurt anyone. Really. :D

Tapsimanxer
10-05-2010, 11:21 AM
i cook adobo almost everyday (i can make in 30 minutes). it's my staple diet. so that pic doesn't whet my appetite much. i'd rather have some roast pig.

anyway, i was talking about the players :) im also in gmt+8

Isharah
10-05-2010, 04:00 PM
Okay, I made a forum account just to say that I <3 you guys.

And if ever you're bored in DDO, drop by Orien and /joinchannel pinoy.

See you! :D

LordPiglet
10-05-2010, 04:04 PM
ROFL, here you go Vel.

Adobo Ingredients:

* 1 head garlic, minced
* 1/2 cup soy sauce
* 1 cup vinegar
* 2 cups of water
* 1 teaspoon paprika
* 3 tablespoons water

Adobo Cooking Tips:

I miss adobo, never learned how to cook it, but let others cook it for me. It's good stuff

WyntherKnight
10-05-2010, 07:41 PM
I got to meet some of the members of ADOBO. If you are Filipino, go look them up. :)

AyumiAmakusa
10-05-2010, 07:46 PM
Oh! That makes sense. I've always wondered what it meant.

To people wishing to look for a guild, this one is good.

I've raided with them a couple of times and they are really good players. Close, helpful, not too big, friendly.

I highly recommend this guild.

yodino
10-05-2010, 10:07 PM
I got to meet some of the members of ADOBO. If you are Filipino, go look them up. :)

Thank you for those kind words Wynther. :)

Although we don't restrict our membership to being strictly Filipino. If your active during +8 GMT primetimes, and you don't mind people talking in tagalog (our local dialect) every once in a while, your more than welcome to hang with us. We try not to talk in our local dialect when there are other people around who don't understand us, it's just that sometimes we might not notice you logging in and you might catch the tail end of a conversation. ;)

Oh! That makes sense. I've always wondered what it meant.

To people wishing to look for a guild, this one is good.

I've raided with them a couple of times and they are really good players. Close, helpful, not too big, friendly.

I highly recommend this guild.

Thanks Imuya, I appreciate your kind words. :) Haven't seen you around much, lets group up more often!

Khanyth
10-06-2010, 09:18 AM
I ran with Hellstrom of Adobo last night twice.

Once was for a ADQ preraid that was nicely done. In particular, when I didn't reset the quest, and so I never got flagged, I wasn't hideously mocked.

The second, was a VoD run hard that was, perhaps the smoothest run, I have ever been a part of. I've run with OR, EF, IR, and others doing VoD, and this is no disrespect to them (those were great too) but Hellstrom made sure that everyone at all times knew what to do and it was just awesome.

Thanks Hellstrom.

unscythe
10-06-2010, 09:25 AM
i'd rather have some roast pig.

/agreed

I have a huge obsession for roast pig, the golden crispy skin, and the tender flavorful pork is the best.
Think roast pig is my favorite type of meat.

+1

WestportStan
10-06-2010, 03:57 PM
/agreed

I have a huge obsession for roast pig, the golden crispy skin, and the tender flavorful pork is the best.
Think roast pig is my favorite type of meat.

+1

Smoked pulled pork. The Kansas City way to eat pigs.

We are all glad to have Adobo on the server. Stormreach takes on a differnt flavor at 4am here which is 5pm your time.

yodino
10-06-2010, 07:17 PM
I ran with Hellstrom of Adobo last night twice.

Once was for a ADQ preraid that was nicely done. In particular, when I didn't reset the quest, and so I never got flagged, I wasn't hideously mocked.

The second, was a VoD run hard that was, perhaps the smoothest run, I have ever been a part of. I've run with OR, EF, IR, and others doing VoD, and this is no disrespect to them (those were great too) but Hellstrom made sure that everyone at all times knew what to do and it was just awesome.

Thanks Hellstrom.

Thanks for that Khanyth. Hellstrom's actually my alt (well, technically my main since it's the first toon I made on Orien). It may be frowned upon, but I used to run raids on WoW, and if there's anything I've learned from there it's better to be thorough than to assume people know what they're doing. Not that they don't, but it doesn't hurt to remind them anyways. :)

Smoked pulled pork. The Kansas City way to eat pigs.

We are all glad to have Adobo on the server. Stormreach takes on a differnt flavor at 4am here which is 5pm your time.

Thanks Nimble, coming from EF that's a big compliment. :D

AyumiAmakusa
10-06-2010, 07:23 PM

Actually we called you a noob behind your back. :)

yodino
10-08-2010, 07:21 AM
Actually we called you a noob behind your back. :)

LoL, now now. play nice. :P

*yes, I know you were just kidding around*

ThreeFinger
10-08-2010, 07:34 AM
Funny stuff, and tasty. I'm still stuffing my face with pork even after a year of returning from a place (middle east country) where that stuff is literally illegal.

yodino
10-16-2010, 09:24 AM
Funny stuff, and tasty. I'm still stuffing my face with pork even after a year of returning from a place (middle east country) where that stuff is literally illegal.

You can have adobo in chicken variety. That shouldn't be illegal and everything tastes like chicken I recall reading that a cannibal wrote that even human flesh tasted like chicken. You come across the weirdest things on the net. :O

Isharah
10-20-2010, 09:33 AM
ewww, chickin. >.<

i thought human flesh tasted like Spam. :D

<3 <3 <3

yodino
11-03-2010, 10:09 AM
It's been an interesting few weeks. We've leveled to 31 so that rickety airship ain't so rickety anymore. Also we've gotten ourselves a new website. Check us out at: http://adobo.webs.com/

Oh, we've also expanded our membership to 12. Hoping to find more filipinos/asians who are interested in grouping up when most of people in the US are asleep. Thanks all. :)

yodino
12-06-2010, 07:06 AM
A little bump in the right direction for people on the GMT+8 timezone who happen to be playing on the Orien server. We run the Abbott and Tower of Despair on a regular basis, as well as farm the more noob friendly raids like HoX/VoD, Shroud, ADQ, and GH.

If your looking for an active raiding guild that you don't have to wake up at 3 am our time just to raid, then join us. :)

We're level 36 now btw.

yodino
12-20-2010, 06:41 AM
Bumping this thread again during Philippine/Asian Primetime. The server's down, people are browsing the forums... it's the best time to do some guild promoting! ;)

Kakow
12-20-2010, 07:04 AM
Thanks for that latest bump. I actually just posted on another Filipino posting asking if anyone around would accept me into a group. I live in Quezon City, I'm retired (20 years, USN), and I'm interested in playing with folks in this timezone.

I don't speak Tagalog although I catch some things here and there after being married for more than 16 years to a wonderful Ilonga wife, whose adobo (both chicken and pork) made me almost twice the man she met. I won't mind hearing Tagalog if you don't mind me contributing some Taglish in there now and then.

I've been playing DnD since the transition from dwarfs as a class to dwarfs as a race, and hooked on MMOs and teaching new players the ropes since the days of pre-CURB SWG. (Mighta played something before then, but SWG's my earliest MMO memory.)

I've got a static group forming on Orien next month on Saturday nights, but that group will be on USA Eastern time. I'll be looking for more action in between those once-a-week sessions, and if you're willing to accept another "never capped a toon, but played for half a year" guy, I'd love to join you.

As a side note, my main in That Other MMO was named "Mabuhay" (a healing paladin), and my twink was "Chickenadobo," a pre-nerf 19 rogue twink that absolutely destroyed things. I had a warlock named "Paksiwisdat," but he was pretty smelly, so I didn't play him much.

yodino
12-20-2010, 08:37 AM
Thanks for that latest bump. I actually just posted on another Filipino posting asking if anyone around would accept me into a group. I live in Quezon City, I'm retired (20 years, USN), and I'm interested in playing with folks in this timezone.

I don't speak Tagalog although I catch some things here and there after being married for more than 16 years to a wonderful Ilonga wife, whose adobo (both chicken and pork) made me almost twice the man she met. I won't mind hearing Tagalog if you don't mind me contributing some Taglish in there now and then.

I've been playing DnD since the transition from dwarfs as a class to dwarfs as a race, and hooked on MMOs and teaching new players the ropes since the days of pre-CURB SWG. (Mighta played something before then, but SWG's my earliest MMO memory.)

I've got a static group forming on Orien next month on Saturday nights, but that group will be on USA Eastern time. I'll be looking for more action in between those once-a-week sessions, and if you're willing to accept another "never capped a toon, but played for half a year" guy, I'd love to join you.

As a side note, my main in That Other MMO was named "Mabuhay" (a healing paladin), and my twink was "Chickenadobo," a pre-nerf 19 rogue twink that absolutely destroyed things. I had a warlock named "Paksiwisdat," but he was pretty smelly, so I didn't play him much.

We'd love to have you. We speak Taglish as well, and have no problems with that. My right hand man in the guild is a cleric who took a year to get to 20, so yeah I'm pretty sure we can accommodate that play style. Find me online or drop a line on our website at http://adobo.webs.com and we'll get you squared away. :)

Kakow
12-20-2010, 08:59 AM
Done. Even put up a pic from my recent trip downtown. Rizal Park or somesuch I think it was. I wish the server wasn't down during our primetime. This sorta is on the suck side. It's cool that so many are in QC like me. Maybe we can meet sometime and share some chicken inasal over at Gateway or something. Heading to Makati early tomorrow morning, but after we get back, I'll see if I can catch anyone on Orien and see how I can fit in gamewise.

yodino
12-20-2010, 11:44 PM
Done. Even put up a pic from my recent trip downtown. Rizal Park or somesuch I think it was. I wish the server wasn't down during our primetime. This sorta is on the suck side. It's cool that so many are in QC like me. Maybe we can meet sometime and share some chicken inasal over at Gateway or something. Heading to Makati early tomorrow morning, but after we get back, I'll see if I can catch anyone on Orien and see how I can fit in gamewise.

Haha, funny you should mention it. One of our notorious members is celebrating her birthday soon, we MIGHT be meeting up for that. Anyways, we'll just talk about this in Gchat, no sense being scandalous on public forums. :P

yodino
01-01-2011, 06:16 AM
bumping for greater justice and spicier adobo! Let me just add that we have a few Singaporeans and Malaysians as well, since we're basically neighbors and we play on the same timezone anyways. Now if we could get a few Aussies and Kiwis... <complete the sentence here> ^^

hingu_Doy
01-01-2011, 07:08 AM
I actually love Kaldereta more than Adobo. Musta to fellow pinoys on that server. I wish I had known about your guild when I first started, but I have already settled in and very much at home in G-land.

I wish you guys the best and I hope to meet some of you when I do the first-time server TP farming in Orien (I still have a decent amount of TPs left so I haven't gotten around to doing this). And if you're ever in G-land, look me up. Alts are Ginawa, Ginyi, Sochan, Dodoy

yodino
01-10-2011, 05:52 AM
Just like real life, whether your a filipino living in the US, Dubai, Japan, or anywhere else we still share the same bond.

*queue Bamboo - Noypi*

Kaiserkreuz
02-10-2011, 05:10 PM
Is the guild in recruiting currently?

WoD-IroN
02-18-2011, 01:21 PM
ROFL, here you go Vel.

Adobo Ingredients:

* 1 head garlic, minced
* 1/2 cup soy sauce
* 1 cup vinegar
* 2 cups of water
* 1 teaspoon paprika
* 3 tablespoons water

Adobo Cooking Tips:

im more of a ramen person myself

yodino
02-18-2011, 07:06 PM
Is the guild in recruiting currently?

Well, yes we are, as long as your active during GMT+8 prime times and your a relatively active player. :)

heartville
03-09-2011, 02:08 PM

zebidos
03-13-2011, 08:28 AM
Well, yes we are, as long as your active during GMT+8 prime times and your a relatively active player. :)

Tempting.. im currently in a fairly empty Australian guild and would prefer a guild with more then one or two people on Sydney evening time, makes it very hard to do anything other then solo.

Who should I contact about moving over?

yodino
03-13-2011, 05:54 PM
Tempting.. im currently in a fairly empty Australian guild and would prefer a guild with more then one or two people on Sydney evening time, makes it very hard to do anything other then solo.

Who should I contact about moving over?

Find either me(Hellstrom,Grayle,Caitleen), or Jiushik/Jennalyn, or Stupidfreak for an invite :)

Yeah we've been pretty active with end game lately. Have been running shroud, HoX/VoD if that's your thing. Then I run epic raids occasionally if your at that guild level.

BTW, we're guild level 45 now. almost 46. :)