PDA

View Full Version : +1 Loot Chance For Flawless Dungeon Crawls: An Idea, An Incentive.

Ginetti
08-26-2010, 06:39 PM
Feedback would be appreciated.

Here's the idea:
If you and your team (or solo) complete a quest without any deaths, I think DDO should offer a 20% chance for end loot to be at +1 level. This should stack with any loot increasing items purchased from the DDO store.

The reason I think it should be a chance for +1 loot, is that if there is a death or wipe, people do not feel they are defiantly missing out on something - but should they produce a Flawless Dungeon Crawl, there's a chance for extra reward. That's the incentive.

This is open to suggestion, but I think it should work like this: Have the words appear on screen as soon as the quest is complete "Flawless Dungeon Crawl" and then an image of percentile dice should be rolled on screen - everyone seeing the same dice roll. The more I think about it, the more fun I think this could be.

Obviously any final chests after quest completion should be locked until this percentile is resolved. This should not work retroactively with any unopened chests beforehand, only final end chests which are made available after quest completion.

Here's the goal:
Encourage more competent style of game play. This is often better achieved through offering incentives, rather than detraction and penalties.

Note: I don't want to see completely stifled game play - and I don't think this idea would promote such a style.

Current Incentives for flawless game play include:
Bonus XP: A moot point for level 20's but otherwise, I like this idea, as it's only 10% so again, not quest breaking should someone die.

Current Penalties for death(s) include:
Less XP: Since it is only 10%, this is not a huge enough detraction to make someone exit the quest, but still manages to provide a slight incentive to achieve no deaths. Moot point at level 20, though.

Death Penalty: I like this. One minute worth of higher vulnerabilities per death. In a world where bringing someone back from the death is commonplace, it raises the value of dying.

Lose Buffs: You know all those nice buffs you get before you hit the final boss in a raid? Say goodbye. Very, very annoying.

Further increasing the XP for a Flawless Dungeon Crawl is not a good idea. I think it's fine where it is at 10%.

Similarly, further reducing XP to the team, or individual, for multiple deaths will not work. If someone dies three or four times - this may cause them to drop group and may (or may not) hurt the rest of the team. This is not a by-product I would like to see as a result of any new incentives or penalties. Plus, I think this is overly mean and will not enhance the overall game play.

We could show stealthy characters some love - and tack on a bonus of +X% for a Flawless Dungeon Crawl which also included killing no mobs.

I hope there is feedback, either positive or negative.

Cheers,

Scraap
08-26-2010, 06:54 PM
Might also help the overlevel+undergear folks a bit there as a side effect. Nice notion.

Doxmaster
08-27-2010, 01:50 AM
Seems too much like a bonus for solo-ing for my taste...and it's incentive not to bring a new player; why teach if you can get more exp AND more loot running alone, or with the best of the best?

I will remind you that there have been threads about 'Noobs f'ing up and dying, stealing 10-% exp.

Nodia
08-27-2010, 02:14 AM
That would stiil be loot 5-6 lvls below quest, so that wouldn't be worth slowing down for

Scraap
08-27-2010, 02:46 AM
Seems too much like a bonus for solo-ing for my taste...and it's incentive not to bring a new player; why teach if you can get more exp AND more loot running alone, or with the best of the best?

I will remind you that there have been threads about 'Noobs f'ing up and dying, stealing 10-% exp.

That would stiil be loot 5-6 lvls below quest, so that wouldn't be worth slowing down for

Could just be the insomnia talking, but 5-6 under quest level starting loot, and an issue with wanting to offer more of an incentive to packing along 4-5 more folks... +1 per deathless character for 1 chest item? Seems like that would cover the ops intent. (though I'm not really placing bets on seeing it implemented)

toughguyjoe
08-27-2010, 02:49 AM
I think that would give the permadeath players something to think about. I mean they're getting better loot out of chests in this system you suggest, for doing something that they do 99% of the time, have no deaths.

transtemporal
08-27-2010, 03:30 AM
Er... flawless dungeon crawls are easy with 99% of the content in this game. On the other hand if you're saying "ubor lootz should be ezy tu get lolz" then I agree with you.

Lithic
08-27-2010, 03:41 AM
I don't like the idea of more reasons to avoid bringing in random people. As mentioned before, right now when TRing alot of people avoid pugging because of that measely 10% exp (and some get really bent out of shape over it, I know I've been guilty of that a few times). If setting up an LFM means a good chance of losing 10% exp, and of losing the chance at loot, it could seriously hamper the grouping tab, which would be bad for the game. Not to mention the influx of "Stupid cleric didn't hjeal me and all I got at the end of the quest was this lousy +2 chainshirt" forum posts.

I'm all for personal death penalties (like losing this bonus only if you died yourself), but penalizing the group for the bumblings of your weakest link even moreso than now would be a bad idea.

Jay203
08-27-2010, 03:44 AM
what about instead of static % of increase
make it so that there's a 5% chance for every party member?
this would make it so that a full normal party would have up to 30% chance of +1 loot and a full raid party would have 60% chance of +1 loot

Ginetti
08-27-2010, 05:33 AM
what about instead of static % of increase
make it so that there's a 5% chance for every party member?
this would make it so that a full normal party would have up to 30% chance of +1 loot and a full raid party would have 60% chance of +1 loot

Now there's another viable option. There are many methods to impliment this, and by no means do I think my way might be the best, overall.

It may also give more incentive for later quests to be attempted on Hard or Elite when they otherwise would not.

Again, it is only a chance. And a TR pugging at low level, where deaths occur, should not upset his loot. He should have great loot or at least a supply of funds to aquire good loot for his level, as he waits to get back to 20.

Ginetti
08-30-2010, 05:11 PM
I would be keen for more feedback - as I think this idea has legs. Have any of the Devs considered an idea along these lines?