PDA

View Full Version : Why Not Prismatic Wall?

CrescentCalling_5
08-24-2010, 01:30 PM
Since there are a few Wall suggestions out there I thought why not bring up one that actually exists in the PnP version :P

Prismatic Wall
Abjuration
Sor/Wizard Level 8
Components: V/S
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Close
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: As Described
Spell Resistence: As Described

A large multicolored wall appears before the player for the duration of this spell. Any enemy passing through it suffers 1 of 7 effects. The wall can only apply each effect once, and after all effects are applied (or resisted) the wall vanishes.

Effects:
20 points of fire damage
40 points of acid damage
80 points of electrical damage
Poison (Death) Fortitude save allows for 1d6 constitution damage instead
Will Save or Turned to Stone
Will Save or be Cursed
Banishment

Greater Dispelling and lower version of Dispel Magic remove a single effect from the targetted wall. Mordenkainen's Disjunction (I think we have that spell here) completely destroys Prismatic Wall.

If the wall targets a creature or player with Spell Resistence, the wall makes 2 attempts to beat the SR but only loses a single effect on failure or success.

Any enemy who remains within the wall for more than one round (voluntarily or due to the wall's holding effect) can be targetted by one effect each round they remain inside.

No more than 1 Pristmatic Wall can exist at the same time, if another wall is summoned it dispels the old wall.

Prismatic Wall blocks ranged attacks and spells that attempt to go through it (except magic missile).

LunaCee
08-24-2010, 01:38 PM
Just what kind of bastardized version of Prismatic Wall is that? The effects don't just go poof after being applied once. Not to mention that by the rules text... Dispel magic and greater dispel magic cannot dispel the wall or anything beyond it.

CrescentCalling_5
08-24-2010, 01:50 PM
Just what kind of bastardized version of Prismatic Wall is that? The effects don't just go poof after being applied once. Not to mention that by the rules text... Dispel magic and greater dispel magic cannot dispel the wall or anything beyond it.

Hey it's not like I enjoy getting rid of most of the stuff in it :| but If you implement Prismatic Wall "as is" from PnP it's pretty much making Wizards and Sorcerers the most overpowered class in the game. I want to make people jump to another dimension if they fail their will save on the violet colored part just as much as the next guy but the thing is "This is an MMORPG" different effects to suit the rules.

sirdanile
08-24-2010, 02:06 PM
Hmmm Considering wall of fire is an over abused spell I don't see the changes to prismatic wall as an issue, perhaps instead of one effect per run through until all effects have been used up you can instead roll when the wall is created, make it last half the amount of time firewall lasts, and change the 50 feet rule to only 1 at a time, if another is cast the old one disappears entirely, this shouldn't make it too bad while keeping it useful.

J1NG
08-24-2010, 02:17 PM
Hmmm Considering wall of fire is an over abused spell I don't see the changes to prismatic wall as an issue, perhaps instead of one effect per run through until all effects have been used up you can instead roll when the wall is created, make it last half the amount of time firewall lasts, and change the 50 feet rule to only 1 at a time, if another is cast the old one disappears entirely, this shouldn't make it too bad while keeping it useful.

Although, if you think about it, there will be saves allowed with the Prismatic Wall like the two existing spells, whilst there is none with Wall of Fire. So it wouldn't be as overpowered as many may think.

J1NG

dranreb
08-24-2010, 02:22 PM
If it's good enough for the Shroud, it's good enough for my gimped casters.

Deaths_ward
08-24-2010, 02:29 PM
How about we get a ninth level spell worth slotting and go with Prismatic Sphere. It's immobile, and all it's effects have saves, but the moment an enemy passes through it they are affected by all 7 colors.

Trillea
08-24-2010, 02:32 PM
How about we get a ninth level spell worth slotting and go with Prismatic Sphere. It's immobile, and all it's effects have saves, but the moment an enemy passes through it they are affected by all 7 colors.

Heck I'd be happy with Otilukes Telekinetic Sphere...

sirdanile
08-24-2010, 02:37 PM
Heck I'd be happy with Otilukes Telekinetic Sphere...

Telekinesis...my god I love telekinesis.

Folonius
08-24-2010, 03:20 PM
Telekinesis...my god I love telekinesis.

Telepathy is better. Ever wonder what the guy next to you REALLY thought of you?

der_kluge
08-24-2010, 03:31 PM
I think CrescentCalling is right - as much as I'd love to see PW in the game, in the PnP game, a 20th level wizard would hope to cast PW maybe a few times a day, if he actually devoted several slots to it.

In a game with spell points, there's nothing stopping a wizard from casting it a hundred times. Yea, it would be wicked powerful.

khaldan
08-24-2010, 03:32 PM
Why not have it be like prismatic ray, minus a decent amount of damage, but keeping all the effects?

CrescentCalling_5
08-24-2010, 04:08 PM
How come this suggestion that I put 20 minutes into gets more attention than the one I put 40 >> I feel cheated...xD

that aside, this "does" do exactly what prismatic spray does :P in PnP :D xD it just does it with a few alterations :3

Talon_Moonshadow
08-24-2010, 04:41 PM
Personally, I want Wall of Stone.

Would be fun to kill monsters by making run into it over and over again. :rolleyes:

khaldan
08-24-2010, 04:43 PM
that aside, this "does" do exactly what prismatic spray does :P in PnP :D xD it just does it with a few alterations :3

I meant prismatic ray as it is currently in game. Only difference I'd make is that it's only one color, always, instead of 1d6-5 or so colors. Indigo is fts, purple is insta kill, the poison is fort save or instakill, things like that.

CrescentCalling_5
08-24-2010, 10:02 PM
I meant prismatic ray as it is currently in game. Only difference I'd make is that it's only one color, always, instead of 1d6-5 or so colors. Indigo is fts, purple is insta kill, the poison is fort save or instakill, things like that.

Well I'll take a look :| and see what I can edit in the suggestion.

Quarterling
08-24-2010, 10:05 PM
I /sign the idea of prismatic wall; I was actually waiting for it to be released once Module 9 came out, but unfortunately the devs decided to overlook it. A firewall on steroids is okay in my book.

Thebanker
08-24-2010, 10:17 PM
/not signed.. 4+ years of hypnotic pattern have given me close to epileptic shock each time i see it... .god forbid sorcs and wizzys get a multicoloured wall that blemishs my screen and sends me drivelling to the floor in a pool blood. arrrgh :eek: :D

articwarrior
08-24-2010, 10:18 PM
not worth being so high level, if most effects are insta death, it will be useless in epic, I mean... even fire wall is useful in epic VoN 1! As for the damage, it is lame. If the caster level is 8 and max damage is 80 unmodded, thats terribad, sorry. /not signed

khaldan
08-24-2010, 10:21 PM
not worth being so high level, if most effects are insta death, it will be useless in epic, I mean... even fire wall is useful in epic VoN 1! As for the damage, it is lame. If the caster level is 8 and max damage is 80 unmodded, thats terribad, sorry. /not signed

Banishment works in epic as an insta-kill.

articwarrior
08-24-2010, 10:27 PM
Banishment works in epic as an insta-kill.

banishment isnt technically an insta-kill, besides the point, PW wont evenhave banishment otherwise it would be busted.:confused:

khaldan
08-24-2010, 10:32 PM
Ideally, the wall will act like the ray, but as a wall. The purple ray does banishment currently. Add the two, and suddenly casters get even better in epics!

articwarrior
08-24-2010, 10:36 PM
Ideally, the wall will act like the ray, but as a wall. The purple ray does banishment currently. Add the two, and suddenly casters get even better in epics!

hmm k, still /not signed because casters are broken enough as is atm

Quarterling
08-24-2010, 10:52 PM
hmm k, still /not signed because casters are broken enough as is atm

Oh my, has someone lost too many matches against a caster in the brawling arena? ;)

articwarrior
08-24-2010, 11:25 PM
Oh my, has someone lost too many matches against a caster in the brawling arena? ;)

nope, I play 2 lvl 18 wizzies, I love em, but they are simply too good, especially now that both epic elders set and rahkir's set stack to give +11% crit range and +1 crit multiplier!!!

Ranmaru2
08-24-2010, 11:32 PM
Except if I remember the banished creatures have a 0% chance to drop an epic scroll or epic token fragment so it kind of defeats the purpose :p

and why they won't implement prismatic wall? With the banish effect working like it does it would trivialize VoD and/or ToD if you could hit the shadowfiends with it, or even shavrath stuff where it would be an instant GOODBYE. Sure its random on which effect, but considering the in and out kiting nature of the wall/BB spells it would make it incredibly easy to get your desired effect with little effort.

not to mention the amount of creatures immune to sonic, acid, and electricity is very low, so that has potential for just massive damage abuse per shot of it.

Folonius
08-25-2010, 12:35 AM

Another reason why I think wall of force would be nice. It can be used in epics to block archer attacks among other things :D

CrescentCalling_5
08-25-2010, 08:49 AM
Another reason why I think wall of force would be nice. It can be used in epics to block archer attacks among other things :D

I editted Prismatic Wall to fit in with the original design in the Player's Handbook :P

believe it or not, that includes blocking "all" magical and nonmagical projectiles and spells (except for magic missile that is xD) until the wall is dissipated.

Failedlegend
08-25-2010, 09:22 AM
Is prismatic wall the same thing as the rainbow wall in shroud that appears if you take to long with the the puzzles and just kills everything in its path...if thats the case do want :p

CrescentCalling_5
08-25-2010, 12:18 PM
Is prismatic wall the same thing as the rainbow wall in shroud that appears if you take to long with the the puzzles and just kills everything in its path...if thats the case do want :p

if that were the case all 5 of my slots would be wizard, sorcerer, wizard, sorcerer :P