PDA

View Full Version : Epic content for non-level 20 chars

b3h0ld3r
08-17-2010, 10:13 AM
Hi,

Sorry if my english is not the best.
I know they have a loooot of better things to do that listening to me ... But, why you need to be level 20 for enter a epic quest? Maybe i want somekind of bigger challenge, and enter in there with level 18 or 19 (I know, at your own risk). Call me machoquist, but I like feeling the hardeness of the quest, the real difficulty of each combat etc Could be interesting and fun in the correct friendly groups :)

Besides, could help TRs getting difficulty on XP after level 17/18+ if they know the quest real good.

Im not talking about epic items etc That's should remain as they are.

Probably you will see this suggestion as lame ...

Anything i'm missing behind?

Cheers guys!

Asketes
08-17-2010, 10:16 AM
I'm all for allowing TR's to enter at 18 or 19 (NO less than 18, maybe even just 19)

yeah at lvl 19 TR's could enter EPIC..

Through time and travels, the experience of your past lives grant you partial incite upon the dungeons of epic proportion.

translation: either you're geared out to the teeth and can handle it, OR you've piked your way through some TR's and you still can't play.

it'll lead to more my.ddo'ing lol

which is a crock b/c it doesn't update, if it updated, I'd love it!

Angelus_dead
08-17-2010, 11:27 AM
I know they have a loooot of better things to do that listening to me ... But, why you need to be level 20 for enter a epic quest? Maybe i want somekind of bigger challenge, and enter in there with level 18 or 19
Yes, one of the most clear-cut problems with Epic mode is that it does nothing for level 18-19 characters, especially the True Reincarnated ones that need ever-larger amounts of XP to advance their last few levels.

Note that in addition to allowing 18-19 characters inside Epic dungeons, you'd also have to change epic mode so it provided non-zero XP (which should be easy). In addition, I suggest picking out the weaker Epic loot items and reducing their ML to 18 or 19.

Some people say that only TR characters should be allowed into Epic dungeons before 20, but there's no good reason to formalize that limitation.

Fomori
08-17-2010, 11:40 AM
They could encourage both TR and Epic content by making the Epic access level = (20-(TR #)).

While there is no real translation why TR should help Epic. It is a gimmick that just might push someone over the Tr/Not TR hump and spending more TP.

sirgog
08-17-2010, 11:52 AM
IMO Epics should be able to be entered in one of two ways:

1) Achieve level 20 - you can get straight in
2) After completing Tower of Despair, add a new dialogue to the quest giver or someone nearby - 'can you recommend any other challenges for me'. This person bestows a quest 'Epic Adventures', which instructs you to talk to the guy that sells Epic Augment Crystals in the Twelve. He warns you that his tasks are extraordinarily tougher than anything you have faced before. If you say 'I'm fine with that', you are now flagged to enter Epics.

The convoluted second setup is to reduce people whinging 'omg this is so hard, why wasn't i warned' when they find that yes, that level 25 Epic is enormously tougher than Reclaiming Memories on Casual.

b3h0ld3r
08-18-2010, 03:38 AM
IMO Epics should be able to be entered in one of two ways:

1) Achieve level 20 - you can get straight in
2) After completing Tower of Despair, add a new dialogue to the quest giver or someone nearby - 'can you recommend any other challenges for me'. This person bestows a quest 'Epic Adventures', which instructs you to talk to the guy that sells Epic Augment Crystals in the Twelve. He warns you that his tasks are extraordinarily tougher than anything you have faced before. If you say 'I'm fine with that', you are now flagged to enter Epics.

The convoluted second setup is to reduce people whinging 'omg this is so hard, why wasn't i warned' when they find that yes, that level 25 Epic is enormously tougher than Reclaiming Memories on Casual.

Sounds good to me.
To be honest, I prefer to not include in the equation the TR variable. Let's get the election to enter or not for everyone : TRs or not.
I understand that the possible XP bonus for TRs could be real helpful, but may be non-TRs that could be looking for a challenge and not the XP.
But, what I like best of that free of choce the to enter or not, and the 'I warned you'.

Morlen
08-18-2010, 04:26 AM
Stop me if I'm wrong... But in D&D, isn't a basic definition of lv20 "epic"? Seems like at least one thing they're trying to keep the traditional flavor on. (Grr, at stupid 1d6, 1 to 6 changes! lol)

Pyromaniac
08-18-2010, 05:24 PM
/not signed

Dawnsfire
08-18-2010, 05:47 PM
Stop me if I'm wrong... But in D&D, isn't a basic definition of lv20 "epic"? Seems like at least one thing they're trying to keep the traditional flavor on. (Grr, at stupid 1d6, 1 to 6 changes! lol)
Technically Epic levels are 21+ (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Epic_Level_Basics) I believe.

Consider this one /signed...

b3h0ld3r
08-19-2010, 03:06 AM
/not signed

Hi Pyromaniac,

Could you please detail a bit more why you don't want this? It is far less constructive. Maybe we have left something behind we are not aware of.

And, by the way, if you don't like entering before level 20, you can always wait until you reach it.

xMalix
08-19-2010, 03:23 AM
What would be the point to getting to level 20, if you didn't get something great to do with your level 20. I think that is what epic is for. So I want epic to be 20.

Pyromaniac
08-19-2010, 09:27 AM
Hi Pyromaniac,

Could you please detail a bit more why you don't want this? It is far less constructive. Maybe we have left something behind we are not aware of.

And, by the way, if you don't like entering before level 20, you can always wait until you reach it.

Sure here are some of my reasons:

-Don't want to worry about players looking for XP in epic
-Have enough unprepared level 20 characters hitting my epic LFMs, don't need to expand the list
-This is a bandaid for the lack of XP at high level for TRs who don't plan ahead. Instead make some high level quests for those on the TR train.
-Leaves something in the game for Level 20s to do

JustWinBaby
08-19-2010, 09:30 AM
Because Epic = 21+

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epic_level

Don't stray from D&D just to make some TR's happier :)

Talon_Moonshadow
08-19-2010, 09:45 AM
I do not support this.

It's fine the way it is.

Although I would be willing to let you in if you have 3000+ favor. :cool:

Angelus_dead
08-19-2010, 12:50 PM
I do not support this.
It's fine the way it is.
What's fine about TR characters needing more and more XP to make it through the last few levels, and yet being arbitrarily excluded from the high-level content that gets released?

In case you haven't noticed, Epic mode is how Turbine releases new high-level content for DDO.

Asketes
08-19-2010, 12:52 PM
I do not support this.

It's fine the way it is.

Although I would be willing to let you in if you have 3000+ favor. :cool:

I have a level one with 1500 favor. that mean you're gonna let me in when I get 3000?

:p:p

I think first time TR's at lvl 19 and 2nd+ TR's at lvl 18 should be allowed.

LookingForABentoBox
08-19-2010, 01:08 PM
Because Epic = 21+

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epic_level

Don't stray from D&D just to make some TR's happier :)

What are you suggesting, that you have to be level 21 to enter epic quests?

JustWinBaby
08-19-2010, 01:11 PM
What are you suggesting, that you have to be level 21 to enter epic quests?

No.

I am suggesting keep it how it is.

The level cap is 20. That is as high as we can go. I don't foresee Turbine raising that cap anytime soon.

Bladedge
08-19-2010, 01:32 PM
To me epic difficulty and a epic quest are not the same. A true epic quest, in my opinion, would start at lv 21 on normal before difficulty is applied to up the quest lv.

I do agree that lv 18and 19 should be allowed to enter on the epic difficulty. Its not like there's a huge difference between a lv 19 and a lv 20. If it proves to hard for a player to run it at lv 18-19 they would just wait till they are lv 20.

Akrilus
08-19-2010, 01:45 PM
19's yeah i see no problem with that but 18's tho ehhhh kinda iffy