PDA

View Full Version : Druid

ShaDoWolF6969
08-16-2010, 10:46 AM
I was wondering when we will be seeing the "Druid" class.
This is one of my favorite classes on PnP and I'm really hoping to see this soon.

NehemiahScudder
08-16-2010, 10:48 AM
I want one!

And i want gnomes.

Sleepingcap
08-16-2010, 10:53 AM
They have planned (http://ddo-daily.com/fernando-paiz-on-the-future-of-ddo) the Druid class to be implemented into the game next year and thats currently the only official-like statement regarding durids.

Baahb3
08-16-2010, 11:09 AM
While I would never say no to a new class I think that the DDO version of a Druid would have to be so different than the PnP version that it would not even be recognizable.

Imagine changing into an animal form and loosing all the benefits you gain from your tiems.

Imagine changing into an animal form and gaining the physical stats of that animal, where chances are they are either just barely above yours or lower even!

These are just 2 of the problems with implimenting this class. Druid have some fun spells but what everyone thinks of when you mention them is shapeshifting. This was great in PnP because of the diversity of animals you could choose to become. In DDO they would release maybe 3-5 animal forms, thus negating a big aspect of that core ability.

We see the same thing with the Wizard, the great advantage between them and sorcs in PnP are that they have an almost unlimited variety of spells, an advantage that does not exist in DDO.

Again, I would welcome a new class, be it Druid or not, as much as the next guy. But Druid lovers beware, when they put the class in and you find out that the rules governing them either make them a poor class for an MMO or they have changed so much the class cannot be called Druid anymore don't come crying fowl. (Pun intended :) )

NehemiahScudder
08-16-2010, 11:12 AM
While I would never say no to a new class I think that the DDO version of a Druid would have to be so different than the PnP version that it would not even be recognizable.

Imagine changing into an animal form and loosing all the benefits you gain from your tiems.

Imagine changing into an animal form and gaining the physical stats of that animal, where chances are they are either just barely above yours or lower even!

These are just 2 of the problems with implimenting this class. Druid have some fun spells but what everyone thinks of when you mention them is shapeshifting. This was great in PnP because of the diversity of animals you could choose to become. In DDO they would release maybe 3-5 animal forms, thus negating a big aspect of that core ability.

We see the same thing with the Wizard, the great advantage between them and sorcs in PnP are that they have an almost unlimited variety of spells, an advantage that does not exist in DDO.

Again, I would welcome a new class, be it Druid or not, as much as the next guy. But Druid lovers beware, when they put the class in and you find out that the rules governing them either make them a poor class for an MMO or they have changed so much the class cannot be called Druid anymore don't come crying fowl. (Pun intended :) )

They did it in Baldur's Gate and it was acceptable.

The funnest things about the druid, (apart from shapeshifting), are the higher level spells, and having to fight to level. Granted, they MAY drop the latter. But, i hope not. :)

Baahb3
08-16-2010, 11:21 AM
They did it in Baldur's Gate and it was acceptable.

The funnest things about the druid, (apart from shapeshifting), are the higher level spells, and having to fight to level. Granted, they MAY drop the latter. But, i hope not. :)

Baldur's Gate was 2nd edition and a single player game with stats that reflected both.

In DDO you get Wizards with 500 HPs, Sorcerer's that can critical on a spell for 1500 points of damage that barely moves a creatures HP bar and Rogues that can out damage a raging Barbarian. The class would have to be adjusted to meet standards put for in THIS game.

I am not saying that they cannot do it but 'This may not be the Druid you are looking for'.

Visty
08-16-2010, 12:59 PM
kate said druids come around the end of 2007

Chai
08-16-2010, 01:09 PM

Roads? Where we're going, we don't need.....roads.

I would love to see druids implemented. I also cant wait to see how many times the class is changed after a short amount of time being released, due to being too powerful after the min maxers figure out how to exploit it to its fullest potential and just start owning everything in sight.

Xeriphim
08-16-2010, 01:16 PM
Roads? Where we're going, we don't need.....roads.

I would love to see druids implemented. I also cant wait to see how many times the class is changed after a short amount of time being released, due to being too powerful after the min maxers figure out how to exploit it to its fullest potential and just start owning everything in sight.

based on this logic . why has Favored Soul not been beat with the nerf bat a few hundred times over ? It's already ridiculously over powered as a class .

Having Druid brought in would be fun . Sure It'd prolly be over powered too but it's Druids , a class that's been lacking since 2006. If it never makes it into DDO I won't lose sleep over it . If for some miracle we do get the Druid class in DDO I'd also jump for joy at playing the class , nerfed or not .

SisAmethyst
08-16-2010, 01:17 PM

...wonder if I am still alive when it finally happens :P

Anyhow I really look forward how they get them balanced, being buffer, healer, caster and shape shifter in one class with a higher hit dice then a mage, sorc or bard. Further proficient with Scimitar, venom immunity and an animal companion (which will be probably introduced like a summon monster clicky).

NehemiahScudder
08-16-2010, 01:19 PM
There will probably be no animal companion. After all there's no familiars for casters.

SisAmethyst
08-16-2010, 01:29 PM
There will probably be no animal companion. After all there's no familiars for casters.

Dunno, for me there is still a difference between a Familiar and an Animal Companion:

* A familiar is a normal animal that gains new powers and becomes a magical beast when summoned to service by a sorcerer or wizard.

* A druid’s animal companion is different from a normal animal of its kind in many ways. A druid’s animal companion is superior to a normal animal of its kind and has special powers, as described below.

Reference d20 SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/druid.htm#theDruidsAnimalCompanion)

While I can see a Familiar being more a Summon that get things like 'Speak with master' or 'Spell Resistance' - the first not compatible with DDO and the later could be buffed - the Companion get things like Evasion or Multiattack which you can't just simply buff but like a Feat you can select on level up. So it would be cool if you could choose those as like you select the extra Feats of a Monk or Wizard.

dkyle
08-16-2010, 01:34 PM

My guess is there will be animal companions, but they'll just use their existing summons code, and as such will be worthless.

I would design the druids' shapeshifting around the enhancement system, like monks. I don't see the "anything you've ever seen" approach working in DDO. You'd have a choice of several base forms (say, bear, cat, wolf, alligator) that would be activated like monk stances. Each would provide some specific bonus to melee combat. There would be other enhancements to augment the animal forms (some might be specific to certain forms, others generic and applying to all forms). I'd remove the x per day limit on shapeshifting.

There would also be spell casting enhancements. However, the important thing is the enhancements should cost enough that they can't have both maxed forms and maxed spell casting. That way, we'll have melee-spec'd druids and casting-spec'd druids, similar to how bards are usually either melee or CC.