PDA

View Full Version : An Update without any new material

Stermlin
08-14-2010, 11:09 PM
Instead of focusing on creating new material for an update and tweaking it until the release date, how about focusing on fixing the current content and all the known issues? I would not mind at all delaying the release of some new pack or another in the pursuit of fixing the old.

Nerate_Mireth
08-15-2010, 10:34 AM
This has been suggested in alot of other threads by me and several others.

Basically, instead of releasing new content and material that will either bug the game in some way or end up being exploitable, etc fix what's broken.

I know alot of us would truly like to see an update of nothing but fixes to the Known Issues list at least. And not band-aids put on them but actual fixes.

This is a great suggestion.

AyumiAmakusa
08-15-2010, 10:39 AM
I know alot of us would truly like to see an update of nothing but fixes to the Known Issues list at least. And not band-aids put on them but actual fixes.

I wish you good luck.

Ystradmynach
08-15-2010, 10:43 AM
If they released an update with no updated content, it wouldn't be an update, it would be a patch. We have had plenty of patches in this game, but patching bug shouldn't be an excuse not to release new material, which needs to be done if DDO is maintain its player base in the long run.

I really don't know why this keeps being brought up as a suggestion. Even if Turbine moved all of their programmers over to fix bugs, I think it would be a case of too many cooks spoiling the meal and the increase number of programmers wouldn't even significantly speed up bug fixes the way people here expect it would.

Kinerd
08-15-2010, 12:45 PM
Even if it is only done for symbolic purposes, I support this idea.

Robi3.0
08-15-2010, 01:07 PM
Instead of focusing on creating new material for an update and tweaking it until the release date, how about focusing on fixing the current content and all the known issues? I would not mind at all delaying the release of some new pack or another in the pursuit of fixing the old.

Updates bring something new to the game. Fixing a bunch of old broken stuff is not bring anything new into the game.

Technically what you suggest is not an update.

That being said, I want new **** and fixed old ****. Why can't we have both?

Akrilus
08-15-2010, 01:07 PM
Uh oh looks like another poor horse is gonna get it's arse kicked again :(

Sigh, another poor horse just done got beat to death buried, dug up, beat on some more, reburied, just to be dug up for another 3 pages this time beaten so bad it now looks like an unidentifiable slab of meat (I would post an attachment pic but im trying really really hard to keep this PG-ish rated).

Robi3.0
08-15-2010, 01:10 PM
Uh oh looks like another poor horse is gonna get it's arse kicked again :(

If it ain't dead, keep kicking that's my motto.

Ps you can type ass on the forum.:)

Crazyfruit
08-15-2010, 01:15 PM
What needs to be fixed so badly that it's more important than new content?

Serious question - can't think of anything -that- bad..

Either way, people who design the quests & draw the art over at Turbine probably aren't also bug squashy coders.

Stermlin
08-15-2010, 07:41 PM
What needs to be fixed so badly that it's more important than new content?

Serious question - can't think of anything -that- bad..

Either way, people who design the quests & draw the art over at Turbine probably aren't also bug squashy coders.

Not any one thing in particular, but there are ssssooooooooo many small things that it adds up.

Rumbaar
08-15-2010, 07:46 PM
There were so many bugs that were known to Turbine and players [view preview server] that it was begged that the Update [nerf/bug] 5 release be delayed to fix said bugs. But Turbine dropped the update, cleverly marketed the new stuff making sure all the bugs never made it to any third party articles.

I'd be happy for a 'update' that only address current issues, bugs and exploits.

Thailand_Dan
08-15-2010, 08:00 PM
The dirty truth is:

New content = More people spending TPs

1. The "I want to be first on the achievements Forum" types will spend tons on pots and rez cakes, etc.
2. Premium Members will have to buy the pack.
3. Perhaps people bored with the current content will come back, give the new stuff a try and stick around for a sub or to spend some.

A bug fix would be nice, particularly for things long broken, but the end result is less money for Turbine. You can make the argument that better running content would hold subscribers longer. But considering how many people stuck around during the horrendous lag, many months with no new content, etc., it would seem that it is not too compelling of an argument.

Doxmaster
08-15-2010, 08:03 PM
Just spread the word about the many bugs if they really bother you.

Nothing kicks a company into action like having its failures and weaknesses on display right next to its competition's strengths.

Rumbaar
08-15-2010, 08:35 PM
Just spread the word about the many bugs if they really bother you.

Nothing kicks a company into action like having its failures and weaknesses on display right next to its competition's strengths.I've long since said that for any action to be taken third party sites need to be employed to get Turbine into gear. Just look how quick things like the "Offer Wall" was addressed once it made it to 'mainstream' media :)

Nerate_Mireth
08-23-2010, 05:11 PM
The biggest problem I see with new content is there are always more bugs being thrown on the pile. Fine...call them patches then....fix the problems BEFORE you throw more bugs and issues on the pile. If you've not got enough bug squashers hire more.

Ya it's gonna hurt revenue....but you know what.....there'd be alot more paying customers, IMO, if they would have left the game on the store shelves and vamped up some advertising for it (take the Adventure Pack videos and use them as actual commercials on TV). Just look at WoW's subscription rates....when they did the Ozzy commercial for the last big release Lich King or something like that, there was a jump in game subscriptions. I'll have to find the actual article but it was enough to be noteworthy at the time. But this is another subject for another thread.

Fix the bugs and issues before new content. And make the new content something for level 16+ toons.

woundweaver
08-23-2010, 05:56 PM
i agree
i also would like to see them do nothing but fixes every 3rd update, patch, whatever you want to call it. thats 2 updates for new content, and to make money, and 1 patch to fix bugs from the previous 2 updates. itll keep bug fixes current, reasonable in time, and re establish quality. things arent fun if they dont work. and piling bugs on top of bugs dont work, either, nor is it fun.
the hell with a fast buck for the moment
we need some fixing of some overdue and new bugs
i can wait 3-4 months till i get new content, as long as my cleric dont have to drink a distillate every time he logs on, or my mass spells work like they should and did up till u5 release day. i dont really care to see any more 3-9 stuff for quite awhile, anyways
half orc, meh. i can wait a couple months. gives em time to make sure it works correctly before releasing :)
auction house search, meh also. just because i can find the item, dont mean im gonna empty 4 toons worth of plat to cover the buyout :D
point is, i would be the happiest to see the next thing not have anything new, just fixes. i can wait a little longer for the update and anything new until something is done to re establish quality. piling breaks on breaks isnt profitable in the long run

lugoman
08-23-2010, 06:04 PM
No, their plan is to keep introducing bugs via updates until the game is unplayable. Then they will come out with and sell DDO:U2, which will just be DDO:U with the bug fixes.