PDA

View Full Version : Possible Fixes for some Epic Items

Cyr
08-13-2010, 11:31 AM
We all know that epic items are as likely to be incredibly underwhelming if not vendor trash worthy as they are to be items that drive you to run for them. I go by the basic premise that higher level loot should be better then lower level loot of the same rarity. If items are more rare (ie epic items) then they should be even better.

So here are some suggestions to de-gimp some specific epic items.

Epic Ruby Gauntlets...change the metoer swarm clickie to be empowered and maximized.

Von caster necklaces. Remove superior X for elemental damage. Add superior crit of appropriate element. Change from greater resists to superior resists.

Stonemeld Plate. Change DR 5/- to DR 10/-.

Wolf Whistle. Change duration to 10 minutes.

Collapsible Short Bow. Add new ability. Sniper - You may sneak attack with this weapon from 30 feet farther away then normal.

Dynastic Falcata. Change Charmisma modifier to weapon stats that replaces old modifier to add to old modifier instead. Rinse repeat for every epic item that works in this manner.

Stinkpelt's Hide. Add Trodlodyte Poison stench as it works for trogs DC 30.

Whirlwind. Drastically improve the 'epic' powers on this and sirroco. Increase the DC's by 20 on all of them. For whirlwind add another red slot also.

Antique Greataxe. Increase base damage by another 1d12.

Staff of Arcane Power. All spells have caster level 20. All spells are heightened, empowered, and maximized.

Epic Adherents Pendant. Add two green slots. Make this item into missing buff filler slot. As upgrading epic items is incredibly time consuming this will take some real grinding to just make this item how you want it.

Elyd Edge. Songs regenerate at a rate of 1/min. As noted with falcata weapon stats changed by an ability score add instead of replace the old modifier.

Ice Wand from Sentinals. Clickie is maximized and empowered. Add superior cold spell lore.

Delving Googles. Change skill bonuses to +18.

Delving Boots. New power added. Without Restraint - You can not be banished or have your movement effected in any negative manner. This protects against Horoth's banish and the binding chain effect from horned devils as well as makes you immune to slippery surfaces and dance effects.

Boots from DQ. Change striding to 45%.

Demon Scale Armor. Change absorbtions to 30% each.

Ward of Undeath. Add new power Proof against Undeath - Undead who attempt to strike you in combat (whether successful or not) suffer 3d6 good damage.

maddmatt70
08-13-2010, 11:35 AM
I am going to nitpick the short bow. I just made that item for my ranger and it is very nice. Its slasing or pierce ( the only slashing bow in game), only does about 2 or so less damge per hit then the thornbow, has random skills on it that are maxed, and does force burst damage which could have some future uses on some mobs. It is most definitely one of the top 5 bows in DDO (lightning strike, thornbow, bow of elements air, shortbow, and earth grab (great cc bow).

Angelus_dead
08-13-2010, 12:39 PM
Here's a generic suggestion for epic weapons:
Anytime an Epic weapon has some effect for extra damage dice, change it to a superior version with double the non-epic damage.

That means Shock and Force would do 2d6 per hit, while Holy becomes 4d6, etc. That's just an easy starting point to bringing them up to appropriate damage power, and is also supported by the D&D rules. For example, the Epic handbook provides the Epic version of Shock (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/magicItems/weapons.htm#lightningBlast) with 3d6 damage per hit, plus 6d6 on crits.

LeLoric
08-13-2010, 01:10 PM
Regarding: Epic Whirlwind/sirroco the epic trip with the changed dc seems to never work because it doesn't. A guildie has tested this and any failed save on the whirlwind knockdown effect does nothing.

Staff of Arcane Power. This is a really nice item but unfortunately can not be used while heighten is on or all your spells are heightened to level 1 instead of 9 meaning a drastic loss of dc's. As of right now i use it for non dc spells like polar ray (extra 2s6)/waves of exhaustion (stacking spell pen +2) or click off heighten and use for wail of the banshee/mass hold when Mob Sr is high for the extra 2 spell pen. Not to mention 4:24 sec haste/displacement and longer rage too.

So bugs need to be resolved on a couple items and I think they'd be just fine. Some of your other items I do consider quite epic but others yes could use an improvement.

My current list of really bad items that need help come from the raid items. There are others that could use an upgrade still but I find poor raid items to be really bad.

Sandstorm glasses (an epic raid item that fails desperately in comparison to a lev 17 raid item just isn't right this needs to get better. Corrosive salt guard maybe? or something else.)

Cloak of the zephyr (not a horrid item due to sup lightning lore but this was never a caster focused cloak due to casters having blur/invis already why make it so now)

Ironweave robe (Sup lightning lore and a new high level lightning spell needs added to the game to make this worthwhile)

Stonemeld plate (higher dr as op suggested or earthen guard for stoneskin procs)

Prophecy necklaces (Youd have to make these really good to make someone take off a torc or embers. As op said needs sup lore, sup resist, and even something more to make me consider swapping out my epic torc very often.)

Ruby encrusted gauntlets. (I'm kinda ok with this being that ad since it was originally still marginally useful due to boost to mass heal)

Cyr
08-13-2010, 02:05 PM
Here's a generic suggestion for epic weapons:
Anytime an Epic weapon has some effect for extra damage dice, change it to a superior version with double the non-epic damage.

That means Shock and Force would do 2d6 per hit, while Holy becomes 4d6, etc. That's just an easy starting point to bringing them up to appropriate damage power, and is also supported by the D&D rules. For example, the Epic handbook provides the Epic version of Shock (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/magicItems/weapons.htm#lightningBlast) with 3d6 damage per hit, plus 6d6 on crits.

I would be all for this wholesale upgrade of epic weapons. Good idea A_D.

Cyr
08-13-2010, 02:09 PM
Sandstorm glasses (an epic raid item that fails desperately in comparison to a lev 17 raid item just isn't right this needs to get better. Corrosive salt guard maybe? or something else.)

Yeah there are so many bad epic items or marginal ones it is hard to list them all and those glasses really do deserve some special notice.

I would say corrosive salt guard (for flavor) and a +1 stacking bonus to hit would work well enough.

Junts
08-13-2010, 04:45 PM
both whirlwind and sirocco would be amazing but epic telekinetic is entirely nonfunctional.

I wast the tester

if it worked on crit like its supposed to it would be amazing, since its basically trip on crit and it'd even work a lot on epic. both would be phenomenal cc weapons.

whirlwind should go to 18-20 base though