PDA

View Full Version : Unguilded - now serving free airship buffs :)

Xerii
08-12-2010, 01:24 PM
Unguilded is not a real guild - it is a random collection of lone wolves who have no shared goals and no shared interests. If real guilds aren't your cup of tea, yet you'd like to enjoy the content benefits that guilded players receive (airship buffs, augment slots, discount vendors, etc), then you are welcome to join Orien's one and only oxymoronic pseudo-guild.

If however you are a player that prefers the other benefits that a real guild affords (community, assistance, grouping, etc.), then Unguilded is definitely NOT the guild for you.

Unguilded Rules-

A. Come and go as you please. There are no obligations to belonging to this guild.

B. There are absolutely zero qualifications to join this guild.

C. As the "guild" grows, you will have access to more and more of the guild benefits instituted in Update 5.

D. That's it. Don't expect any assistance from other guild members, to quest/raid/socialize with other guild members, etc. If you want that stuff, please go join a real guild =P

If interested in joining Unguilded, please send tell/mail Xerii, Xerri, or Polaris in game and we will add you.

Happy Hunting!

Maydon
09-27-2010, 09:08 PM
Xerri is on vacation right now and Polaris is no longer available. Contact Doratea for invites.

Khanyth
09-28-2010, 09:58 AM
So.... you're not a guild.... with guild buffs and an airship?

why can't someone just remain guildless, but ask their friends to be invited to their guildship for buffs?

Hell, in 5 different pugs, the leader invited everyone in the group to their airship to enjoy their guilds buffs.

Lorien_the_First_One
09-28-2010, 10:11 AM

why can't someone just remain guildless, but ask their friends to be invited to their guildship for buffs?

Hell, in 5 different pugs, the leader invited everyone in the group to their airship to enjoy their guilds buffs.

It's the Korthos Army approach. By having a mass of people in the guild the guild will level quickly and thus better ship buffs will be available. Plus, by being a part of this unguild you can go to the ship anytime you want.

Khanyth
09-28-2010, 10:48 AM
It's the Korthos Army approach. By having a mass of people in the guild the guild will level quickly and thus better ship buffs will be available. Plus, by being a part of this unguild you can go to the ship anytime you want.

I understand that part.... I'm just confused about why you just wouldn't join a guild. In other words, how is Unguilded not a "real guild"

I'm basing this on the "if it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it's probably a duck" logic.

If it has guild buffs, and has an guild name under the players name, it's probably a guild.

No?

Doganpc
09-28-2010, 11:23 AM
I understand that part.... I'm just confused about why you just wouldn't join a guild. In other words, how is Unguilded not a "real guild"

I'm basing this on the "if it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it's probably a duck" logic.

If it has guild buffs, and has an guild name under the players name, it's probably a guild.

No?Its more of a philosophy. Unguilded is a true non-guild approach to the implementation of Guild benefits. Its members are all individuals doing their own things with no commitment. Misfits and Malcontents, is run similarly but I like to think its more of a guild of convenience and is focused more on lower level characters as the Leader is an Altoholic.

So if you don't want to deal with a Guild that prefers active members these are your two options. If your fairly new to the game and prefer playing solo but wouldn't mind some help from time to time I would recommend Misfits and Malcontents as they're good about helping people learn the ropes and have a variety of characters in the early game. However if you're looking for a guild to benefit from for the Buff's and Item usage I would recommend Unguilded as they have the airship and renown to get you access to those things.

Dogan
Opinions based on a guilds member's character levels & renown rating.

Khimberlhyte
09-28-2010, 11:25 AM

No?
Officially, Somalia is a country, and is even a member of the UN.

Unfortunately for the people who live there, it bears little resemblance to a country, with warlords and independent regions controlling large areas. Central government is almost completely absent, as is rule of law.

If a regular guild is like a normal nation, Unguilded is like Somalia.

EKKM
09-28-2010, 11:28 AM
I'm not on Orien but I'm just curious how you pay for the airship and buffs? Is there a monthly fee or just benevolence from the officers?

Vanshilar
09-28-2010, 11:47 AM
Eh I'm not sure how it is a difficult concept.

You can consider different guilds as having a spectrum of what's required of members. At one extreme is the guild that puts minimums on the number of hours played, or number of capped characters, etc. At the other extreme are guilds that put few requirements on the members.

Unguilded is at the latter extreme, where there's no particular requirement for members (other than possibly that you log every so often), but otherwise everyone does their own thing with or without the guild. It's so that players can take advantage of the gameplay advantages of being in a guild introduced in Update 5 (airship buffs, not getting spammed by blind guild invites, etc.), without having to deal with the social disadvantages of being in one (minimum hours, making TRs, stupid guildies/loot rules, etc.). Asking whether or not it's a "real guild" is thus just an exercise in semantics. It's like asking whether or not Tempest Spine is a "real raid".

Pretty much all servers have a version or another of this, there was a thread on the Unguilded-type guilds across all servers somewhere along the line. It's something that came about due to the introduction of Update 5.

Zenako
09-28-2010, 11:58 AM
I'm not on Orien but I'm just curious how you pay for the airship and buffs? Is there a monthly fee or just benevolence from the officers?

If you are only populating game gold shrines and hooks the plat cost is effectively trivial for any vet. Hell my Bard was dropping Taverns all over the place, just to fill up slots and make it a happy place....:) The plat cost was noise from a days selling.

Khanyth
09-28-2010, 12:09 PM
Yes, I understand the "lack of commitment other than logging on every so often" part.
Yes, I understand the "everyone does their own thing" part.
Yes, I understand the "come and go as you please" part.
Yes, I understand the "don't have to socialize" part.
Yes, I understand the "no requirements" part.

But I'm sorry..... advertising yourself as not a "real guild" or saying you take a "non-guild approach" is misleading and silly.

If you have words under your character name, I'm sorry: you're a member of a real guild.

porq
09-28-2010, 01:17 PM

But I'm sorry..... advertising yourself as not a "real guild" or saying you take a "non-guild approach" is misleading and silly.

If you have words under your character name, I'm sorry: you're a member of a real guild.

It's a guild for people that want to take advantage of the update 5 guild buffs without having any responsibilities or requirements that any other normal guild would have, which makes it not really much of a guild at all.

However, I'm glad you pointed out to us that members of the Unguilded guild have 'Unguilded' under their names. You deserve a cookie for observing this fact. Yes it is in fact a guild in body, but not in spirit.

I don't appreciate you criticizing how others play and telling them how to do it (your idea of) right, and neither does anyone else here.

Khanyth
09-28-2010, 02:08 PM
It's a guild for people that want to take advantage of the update 5 guild buffs without having any responsibilities or requirements that any other normal guild would have, which makes it not really much of a guild at all.

However, I'm glad you pointed out to us that members of the Unguilded guild have 'Unguilded' under their names. You deserve a cookie for observing this fact. Yes it is in fact a guild in body, but not in spirit.

I don't appreciate you criticizing how others play and telling them how to do it (your idea of) right, and neither does anyone else here.

Take it easy.

The OP stated that this is not a real guild. I asked for clarification of that statement. When other people responded, I asked them to clarify their position. After that clarification, I stated my opinion that it was misleading and silly.

Nowhere did I criticize anyone's play. Nowhere did I tell anyone how to do anything. Nor do you speak for anyone except yourself.

Join it if you wish.... cool. I just stated my opinion that it was misleading and silly to call a guild, not a guild.

And just so you know, I've been in several, and currently am in, guilds that have little to no requirements, save attendance and minimal socialization. They never have had this guild-but-not-a-guild mentality, nor have they had the chest thumping that you obviously seem to have.

Anyways, fine. Whatever. Relax. Take back your cookie.

Impaqt
09-28-2010, 02:14 PM

If they had friends, they would probably join a real guild.

Khanyth
09-28-2010, 02:39 PM

Now be nice.............

Impaqt
09-28-2010, 04:06 PM
Now be nice.............

Just sayin... Maybe they are new to the game and dont have friends yet.. maybe they are so bad no one likes them. maybe they are just anti social...... doesnt matter...

At the end of the day, this is not really a "Real Guild" but you do gain some benefits of being in "a" guild.

No responsibility for your own or guildies actions.

no commitments to anyone

its not a "real Guild"

Good luck Op. Things like this generally dont go well. too many "Guilds" like this out there already and they generally quickly generate a reputation..............

Alabore
09-28-2010, 04:57 PM

Well, I don't have friends - friend that enjoy gaming much, that is. :D
Either they have impossible working hours, or they simply spend whatever time they can spare with family.

Also, I am an altoholic too, so I tend to level up the whole "stable" of chars.
Most committed guild would kick me out because I can desert a server for days, or even weeks.
Some have.

Low commitment guilds are my kind of thing - chiefly because they unlock guild-only gear for my chars - and in turn I pick guild trophies as rewards when I can.

A guildless guild sounds like a fun oxymoron.
I'll drop over Orien and say hi.

:)

Vanshilar
09-28-2010, 10:13 PM
Nowhere did I criticize anyone's play. Nowhere did I tell anyone how to do anything. Nor do you speak for anyone except yourself.

Join it if you wish.... cool. I just stated my opinion that it was misleading and silly to call a guild, not a guild.

And just so you know, I've been in several, and currently am in, guilds that have little to no requirements, save attendance and minimal socialization. They never have had this guild-but-not-a-guild mentality, nor have they had the chest thumping that you obviously seem to have.

Except for you come into a thread and then pronounce yourself the arbiter of what constitutes a "real guild" and what constitutes "misleading and silly":

Taking umbrage at those sorts of blanket statements is not chest-thumping, it's called refuting unsupported statements. By contrast, making yourself out to be the authority on these issues when you admit you haven't been in this type of guild before is called chest-thumping.

Just sayin... Maybe they are new to the game and dont have friends yet.. maybe they are so bad no one likes them. maybe they are just anti social...... doesnt matter...

At the end of the day, this is not really a "Real Guild" but you do gain some benefits of being in "a" guild.

no commitments to anyone

its not a "real Guild"

Good luck Op. Things like this generally dont go well. too many "Guilds" like this out there already and they generally quickly generate a reputation..............

Uh the people that are new to the game are unlikely to join this guild; there are a few other guilds on the server that they are more likely to join. Let's leave it at that. By contrast, the people that join these types of guilds are people who are generally adequately knowledgeable enough about the game but decide to eschew joining a more formal guild for whatever reason. We've had them in raids and generally they've done fine (I can't think of anyone from Unguilded who's done poorly in a raid I've been on). Yes, the people in the guild span all level ranges.

I'm not sure where you get the notion that this generally doesn't go well. There's nothing to go, since there's no guild goals or anything like that.

I think the fundamental misconception is here:

While banding together for guild advantages is indeed the Korthos Army approach, this is fundamentally different in several respects:

1) It does not aim to become a mega-guild. This means that (other than the occasional ad here and there so that people are aware of it) there's no officers in charge of spamming general chat, blind inviting, etc. Or at least, I've never seen any from this guild, but I've seen plenty of other guilds that do spam general chat etc.
2) It does not provide for a guild/group support system. That is, the Korthos Army approach implicitly or explicitly advertises that you'll be joining a group of people who are (presumably) going to be helping you out or whatever and be fun to play with and all that. By contrast, this type of guild is explicitly saying BYOH, you're on your own, we're just here to provide an easy way to get to Meridia without having to drop group.
3) While the entrance requirement of none is superficially the same as mega-guilds, the reason for it is wildly different. A Korthos Army-type mega-guild has a low entrance requirement in order to maximize its roster and to foster the impression that "hey you should join because everyone is joining" when people see so many members running around. By contrast, this guild's requirement is because the members are explicitly not expected to provide anything for each other; after all, requirements exist partially to delineate your obligations to other players. Thus a guild with very loose associations will tend to have players which are largely self-sufficient, not in terms of character builds, but in terms of player ability to figure out what to do in quests and raids and so forth. This produces a very much different member make-up than that of mass induct guilds, and is why guilds like this are fairly represented at all levels and abilities, rather than being more concentrated at certain levels.

Thus a guild of this type is unlikely to be very large; it is for the player that wants to do his own thing, and provides an in-game way to access the gameplay benefits of a guild without some of the drawbacks.

Fon_Win
09-28-2010, 10:18 PM

Do you always just argue for the sake of arguing?

Perspicacity
09-28-2010, 10:34 PM

No?

Just a guess but my guild has things that I'm betting this "non-guild" doesn't such as:

1. Weekly guild raids.
2. A website with forms, players guides, links, ect.
3. Guild mules full of gear that is free to members to twink out there lowbies.
4. A unifying desire to see our members become better players by teaching them the trick of the trade.
5. Friendship.
6. Standards.
7. A competent leader (O snap!).

With out that stuff its not really a guild.

Its like the VFW post in my town, it has alcohol, bar stools, a dart board and drunk old war vets watching foot ball. Sounds like a bar right? But its not a bar, It's a members only club you have to meet certin standards to get in, now there's a bar down the street from the VFW where anyone can get in and it to has alcohol, bar stools, a dart board and drunk old war vets watching football. The only difference is entry requirements.

If absolutely anyone can get in it's not a guild, it's the worlds biggest PUG.

Perspicacity
09-28-2010, 10:39 PM

Cause you cant do that when your soloing and as was mentioned if they had friends they just join there guild and thus not be guileless anymore.

Perspicacity
09-28-2010, 10:44 PM

I think he does, its called pessimism. If they want to gall them selves "nonguilded" or "unguilded" I say let them, there not hurting anyone. Khanyth is just splitting hairs with no real motive or goal aside from stirring the pot.

Perspicacity
09-28-2010, 10:47 PM

/agree

Perspicacity
09-28-2010, 10:49 PM
I just realized I posted 4 times... 5 times in the same thread. man I'm board.

Vanshilar
09-28-2010, 11:08 PM
Just a guess but my guild has things that I'm betting this "non-guild" doesn't such as:

1. Weekly guild raids.
2. A website with forms, players guides, links, ect.
3. Guild mules full of gear that is free to members to twink out there lowbies.
4. A unifying desire to see our members become better players by teaching them the trick of the trade.
5. Friendship.
6. Standards.
7. A competent leader (O snap!).

With out that stuff its not really a guild.

I think under that definition there's maybe...5 or 6 guilds game-wide? :eek:

Falco_Easts
09-29-2010, 12:10 AM

no commitments to anyone

its not a "real Guild"

I signed up with Unguilded after U5. I have been a member of guilds in the past and none of them really suited my playing times. Due to RL I mainly solo as I may need to leave at any time. Unguilded is a nice way to get the guild benefits without the hassles.

There are only about 20-30 characters, not sure how many accounts. In general I don’t think we get the sort of members that end up in guilds like KA. The only place it is mentioned is here on the forums (no blind invites, advertising or spamming in game) so the people who join have seen it on the forums and sent a tell to the officers ingame. It is not really a guild for those looking for a big flashy airship. We are only level 32 and don’t actively farm renown.

It suits my playstyle and would recommend it to any who solo or have weird play times.

Khanyth
09-29-2010, 12:38 AM
Except for you come into a thread and then pronounce yourself the arbiter of what constitutes a "real guild" and what constitutes "misleading and silly":

Try again.

I gave >my< opinion of what a guild was; never once did I proclaim to be the arbiter of what constitutes a real guild. The misleading and silly part... again: my opinion. You really have to chill here.

I'm letting this go. Please do the same.

Perspicacity
09-29-2010, 01:02 AM
I think under that definition there's maybe...5 or 6 guilds game-wide? :eek:

lol.

Perspicacity
09-29-2010, 01:30 AM
Try again.

I gave >my< opinion of what a guild was; never once did I proclaim to be the arbiter of what constitutes a real guild. The misleading and silly part... again: my opinion. You really have to chill here.

That is not an accurate representation of events.

And let you get the last word? Now what kind of petty jerks would we be if we did that?

First you accuse the op of wrong doing, then you insulted him.

Then you said this. This is a declarative statement with supporting argument not an offering of opinion. now if you had just said:

If you have words under your character name,IMO: you're a member of a real guild.

That would be different but even if you had it wouldn't matter, we know its your opinion because it sure is NOT fact. People are not reacting to you "opinion". There reacting to the fact that you felt the need to voice it when it was not solicited. You said a mean thing for no reason. Weather you where offering it as fact or opinion is irrelevant, there was no reason to have posted it at all, no one asked you. I know I'm splitting hairs but it seemed to work for you so I thought I'd give it a try.

/served

Vanshilar
09-29-2010, 03:14 AM

Making declarative statements and then backtracking by saying they were just your opinion is...well, not particularly good form. So is saying "whoops well I guess I won't bring it up if you won't", but to each his own.

Oh yeah by the way for those of you interested, SINIBYTE keeps a list of some of the similar types of "non-guild" guilds out there on the different servers:

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=258105

However, simply searching myddo for "unguilded" brings up a lot of matches, so it seems like certainly there's a certain portion of the playerbase that's interested in this. It's somewhat of a shame that they're basically all split up into their own individual non-guilds (and basically splitting the renown) rather than combining their renown, but oh well. Economy of Scale apparently is trying to consolidate those different guilds, but that's on Khyber. The point is, of course, to try to aggregate the renown-gathering power of each player (after all, everyone will gather some amount of renown when they play) and get to a higher level together, rather than having each player or each group work toward their own individual airships. This is a pretty good strategy to use up to around level 50 or so when renown decay starts having more of an impact, but such a guild is not concerned about getting to level 80 or anything like that anyway. However, a level 50 airship is pretty much sufficient and is easily obtainable (just a matter of time).

psymun
09-29-2010, 09:18 AM
Just because I think it's funny, I decided to point out one thing...

The only difference between Unguilded and Intel Rq'd is the fact that we have a Raid Schedule and organization.

There are NO obligations to the guild.

All we ask for is universal things, like respect, and cooperation if you are indeed looking to raid with us.

But the thing is, we require the same thing from people we PUG with... The same things that would get you squelched, would get you removed from Intel Rq'd.

Vanshilar
09-29-2010, 11:10 AM
The only difference between Unguilded and Intel Rq'd is the fact that we have a Raid Schedule and organization.

There are NO obligations to the guild.

But see, that's a bit like saying "the only difference between a boat and a car is that the car has wheels". That there's a lack of organization etc. for Unguilded is a primary feature, not some minor detail.

All we ask for is universal things, like respect, and cooperation if you are indeed looking to raid with us.

That's a pretty high bar to set :eek:

It reminds me of a quote from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:

"One the way back they sang a number of tuneful and reflective songs on the subjects of peace, justice, morality, culture, sport, family life and the obliteration of all other life forms."

Maydon
09-29-2010, 06:22 PM
This is what I get for posting on the forums with a bit of information I thought was needed. You'd think by now I'd know better.

SardaofChaos
02-17-2011, 06:24 PM

On the contrary, anyone who matters would quickly find out that the very nature of the guild means that it is not responsible for the actions of the members. Anyone spreading word that members of Unguilded are all cheats or tend to grief pugs would only be believed by those who(all of the following):
A) Don't read the forums
B) Don't think about the implications of the name 'Unguilded'
C) Don't ask questions

Of course, you could argue that they would indeed generate a reputation, but leaving it at that implies that it would be a bad one. The reputation generated would be "If you don't care to join a guild and have responsibilities but would still like to use guild navigators/buffs/slots, Unguilded is the guild for you"

~jradnut
02-27-2011, 10:46 AM

Yes, trust me, he does.