PDA

View Full Version : In-game voice chat improvement

quickbunnie
08-11-2010, 07:24 PM
One of the biggest problems I have in DDO is hearing what other players have to say. I have turned up the voice chat settings as high as possible, decreased the sound effects/music, and turned up my system volume, and I still can't hear half of the people very well.

I understand that part of the problem is low quality mic's, but I know several guildies who are very quiet in-game but I can hear perfectly fine in Ventrilo.

I would love to see some improvements in the voice quality and increases volume that we can make as a client - it would go a long way in improving gameplay.

Tinrae
08-11-2010, 11:27 PM
/signed

Same problem here with both DDO and Lotro. My volume is perfectly fine in Vent, XFire, and TeamSpeak, but I have trouble with low volume input and output with Turbine's games.

h4x0r1f1c
08-12-2010, 04:00 AM
/signed

MysteryNotes
08-12-2010, 04:45 AM
/signed

karnokvolrath
08-12-2010, 04:55 AM
/signed.

On a side note, ventrilo is awsome compared to the ingame voice chat, worth getting for sure.

Thorin2001
08-12-2010, 05:06 AM
/signed

AFAIK it would even be possible to integrate e.g. TeamSpeak3 into the game. With the build-in option to adjust the volume of every client in a channel (group) this might be exactly what we need...

Nerate_Mireth
08-12-2010, 10:22 AM
One thing you're all forgetting here....the ingame VC uses the same server threads that the game does....Now, perhaps, if they took all the money they are getting from TPs and used it to upgrade the servers.....

As for the overall use of VC, I agree....it works but there are other better programs out there. But then again....other than LoTRO I don't know of any other MMOs with built in VC....

dunklezhan
08-12-2010, 10:37 AM
/signed

Incidentally, until they get around to making this change or something like it, the only way I've found to improve things is turn all other sound channels down to 0.01, with sound effects up to about 0.10. With the voice mic settings then maxed, I am able to hear people talking, even - just about - in mid fight provided they have a half decent mic in the first place (i.e. clear, non crackly, rather than just 'loud'). As it also uses the standard game servers, its worth noting that if you have gameplay lag then voice will also be laggy/choppy. Volume boosts for voice aren't going to help that.

tolana
08-12-2010, 10:48 AM
DDO should have an individual volume control for each player in your party. we should also be able to rearrange the names in the party.

jwdaniels
08-12-2010, 10:51 AM
Part of the problem also is how the other people have their mic settings - if you're having difficulty hearing someone, usuall the rest of the group is as well. The speaker needs to tweak their mic settings (in-game and possibly in windows) and that usually helps a lot. Particularly, I notice an issue when people are using a headset mic on a laptop that has a built-in mic.

hdogan
08-12-2010, 10:58 AM
With U7, here is Turbine's solution:

Speech to text :D

... ofc with extra bugs ...

quickbunnie
08-12-2010, 08:01 PM
One thing you're all forgetting here....the ingame VC uses the same server threads that the game does....Now, perhaps, if they took all the money they are getting from TPs and used it to upgrade the servers.....

As for the overall use of VC, I agree....it works but there are other better programs out there. But then again....other than LoTRO I don't know of any other MMOs with built in VC....

Even some client side upgrades would help - way more people are too quiet than too loud. A band-aid volume boost client-side wouldn't load the servers, and I could deal with the rare cases where someone was too loud.

Tinrae
08-12-2010, 08:13 PM
But then again....other than LoTRO I don't know of any other MMOs with built in VC....

EQ2, SWG, WoW, and Warhammer Online have in-game voice chat. I'm sure there are more games that have it too, but Turbine is certainly not the only game producer to have incorporated it.

However in retrospect, none of the in-game voice chats I've used have been high quality. :(