PDA

View Full Version : We are under attack!!! Run for your lives!

ArloOne
08-11-2010, 10:44 AM
I want a world event to take place again! For newer players you will not know this, but the marketplace vendor area used to be inside of a giant tent. Vendor spread out all over the inside. Twisting ramps and bridges to find the regent vendors, armor brokers and weapon dealers.

Then all of a sudden (ok we saw it coming) a wicked looking vortex of evil started to form above the marketplace tent. Portals were spread out all throughout the market place. NPC's warning towns people of imminent dangers.
Guilds and PUG's organizing each others posistions in the market place and talking about tactics and what may be coming through these portals.
And then...screams and crys..." DEVILS...a Demon...what in GOD's name is an ORTHON!.

Organized attack squads attacking the seamingly endless stream of these evil creatures. Short moments of calm, recouping from the last onslaught, then...here they come again!

It was an awesome event...wether you were 1st level or 16th level....you were there..in the midst of a world attack.

Then the marketplace tent succombed to the vortex and was swallowed up whole...leaving a crater of destrction. Vendors were forced into the Rusty Nail...the chaos had subsided, but a new threat had leached into the world.

I want more of this....come on Turbine....make it happen!

Thoughts? Ideas? Pizza?

Thechemicals
08-11-2010, 10:46 AM
NPC's getting pillaged and $%## sounds like an idea

Arkat
08-11-2010, 10:48 AM
Thousands and thousands of Kobold spilling out from the WaterWorks and Steam Tunnels to attack the Harbor and Marketplace would be an awesome spectacle!

Sneakee
08-11-2010, 10:50 AM
Amen!

The marketplace tent event was possibly the best fun online I've ever had...

Bring on another world event!!

Consumer
08-11-2010, 10:51 AM
Thousands and thousands of Kobold spilling out from the WaterWorks and Steam Tunnels to attack the Harbor and Marketplace would be an awesome spectacle!

Wall of Fire in front of the entrance would soon solve that.

A big boss spawn in the market place would be awesome and something I would love to be part of.

AestorTheKnight
08-11-2010, 10:54 AM

ROFL. So simple but so effective! :D

Phidius
08-11-2010, 10:55 AM
I'm guessing it would be something along the lines of the local chef for the Wayward Lobster getting a weird spell mixed in his cooking, and the harbor being buried under a wave of Broccoli and Cheese.

They'd add forks and spoons to the DDO store, and you'd find Starch coins that you could turn in for napkins and wet-wipes...

elraido
08-11-2010, 10:57 AM
All I remember is lag. :D

AyumiAmakusa
08-11-2010, 11:00 AM
Although this time blow up House K.

Phidius
08-11-2010, 11:11 AM
All I remember is lag. :D

Yeah, but this time we have Dungeon Alert to save us.

Red Alert in the Marketplace for about 3 hours... YAY!!!

KoboldKiller
08-11-2010, 11:14 AM
A world event is one of the best suggestions I have seen in a while.

Yes the lag was fairly bad but it was quite a bit of fun.

TheDearLeader
08-11-2010, 11:24 AM
ROFL. So simple but so effective! :D

Not effective. A level 20 Sorc would cast a maximized, empowered, extended crit firewall fueled by their ToD Belt clickie.

And then some level 8 wizzie who just got the spell would stack their wall on the sorc's. 30 damage a tick, anyone?

biggin
08-11-2010, 11:25 AM
I still get a slight tingle of dread from hearing the "zoning in" sound from devils and orthons. As an unguilded cleric I had to run until I could find a group of people to pawn the baddies onto. If something like that were to take place again it would almost have to be somewhere remote away from most new players. Not knocking all the new players, but it was brutal. Unless it was something weak like kobolds, it would chase many players off. Maybe they could even put collectibles like they have for fire mobs and the ice games for fun.

Personally I've never been much of a slayer/explorer area type player (which it kind of felt like to me), I always liked having my sanctuary outside of quests. But it did teach me how to survive and shed aggro. :)

flynnjsw
08-11-2010, 11:27 AM
Although this time blow up House K.

No...Blow up Korthos...:D

DelScorcho
08-11-2010, 11:30 AM
Make them epic kobalds, and you may be on to something. One of my favorite parts of the Orthon invasion was that lowbies would try to attack the orthons and were one shot by the Orthon's cleave attack ...

zorander6
08-11-2010, 11:30 AM
No...Blow up Korthos...:D

Instead of flying off the dragon attacks the town.....

TheDearLeader
08-11-2010, 11:35 AM
I agree that it should be a kind of mob that levels 14-20 should enjoy, and level 4 Vet toons, and these silly level 8-10 F2P 28 Point Build toons should get creamed by.

That said, I think world events should happen more often. Little things like the Risia Games, Festivult, and the Traveler's Egg Hunt are nice, but sometimes I'd like to see the "safe" areas not be so safe for a while.

Another suggestion of zone/mob : Necropolis, with the undead. Make the entire area suddenly very "alive", let the bloody/shadow/cursed crypts or whatever suddenly start pouring out powerful undead. If Turbine really wanted to make people feel happy loved as low level toons, concurrently hold a similar, but lower-CR event in Deleras and make Deleras open to the public for a week afterward.

redraider
08-11-2010, 11:40 AM

A big boss spawn in the market place would be awesome and something I would love to be part of.

Wasn't this how the exploiters got all their guild favor from ADQ?

TheDearLeader
08-11-2010, 11:49 AM
*snip*

Fixed that post for you. Talking about exploits, even "fixed" exploits, is against forum rules.

Zenako
08-11-2010, 12:03 PM
The Marketplace nukage was cool, and for those who were not here then, the carnage was only in the Marketplace. The Harbor and all of the other Houses were unaffected and they had special "portal keeper dudes" near the normal spots of entrance that could pop you to the other location without going thru the marketplace if you wanted to.

The First climbing jumping game/obstacle course appeared at that time courtesy of the "12", as an observation deck to stage into the marketplace from. It had a great view, but rather limited resources.

Oh and persistent spells like WoF did not work, so blocking the exit port with them was not possible. (same thing for Blade Barriers) The Quest Devils Barracks in the Marketplace grew out of the leftovers from that quest. Run it on Elite for a bit of the flavor and make sure you only have level 16 or lower toons and no greensteel on ya. Taking on CR38 mobs was an undertaking.

At the end of the Beta Test Server a year ago, they had an awesome closeout event, where the developers took over the whole world and sent every and all bosses (in multiple) to crush the resistence on this plane. Wild Carnage that made the Marketplace event look like a cakewalk, but since those were all expendable characters and gear that would be getting flushed within days anyway, all options were on the table. There are some outstanding screenshots of that 3 hour event, but it is hard to get the flavor of the chaos without being there.

Especially cruel was the DM who parked a Huge Cube right on top the Res Shrine. When dead it was basically impossible to see the cube, until you took the res and promptly died again. Naked runs against piles of Pit Fiends, Ancient Dragons, et al, really put some to the test.

AZgreentea
08-11-2010, 12:10 PM
In Ragnarok Online for Halloween, some of the really bad high end monsters would spawn in the main town, and it was fun as a lowbie to draw them towards the groups of high end players who were getting overwhelmed already (I choose trick!). :D

grodon9999
08-11-2010, 12:19 PM
A big F'n dragon landing in the middle of the market would be awesome.

Veriden
08-11-2010, 12:21 PM
each week for a month have a different event for different levels.

Level 1-4 Saughin(spelling?) invade korthos by breaking down the first gate. No ships to or from korthos only snowy side.

Levels 5-8 Harbor Spider infestation lead by whisperdoom.

levels 9-15 market place I dunno...what beasties really probably tieflings and trogs(or fiendish trogs) raiding from the sewer entrances

Levels 16-20 Devils and dreaming dark creatures team up in the Inspired quarter! Nightmare empowered Horoth(why horoth? b/c I think it'd be funny to watch a bunch of squishy lvl 16 'leets' try to take him on and end up refilling his life every time they get one shotted by him.) side by side with the dream devourer(and that living nightmare thingy too). (both bosses when out and about set on elite hp/ac/etc.)

And for each area currently under attack they have normal instances and a special 'attack' or 'undersiege' instance so those who don't want to take part in the chaos can go about their daily grind.

And a special week long siege on gianthold of 12 great wyrm dragons of various chromatic dragons. Elite personal guard of 'the truthful one' since I don't think tiamat is in the ebboron world setting.)

Zenako
08-11-2010, 12:28 PM
This link to the thread from last year shows some cool screenshots of ultimate chaos and destruction that is possible when everything and everyone is expendable...

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=195970

enjoy...I know everyone who was there had a blast...

this one too has a few shots...

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=196080

johnyBgood
08-11-2010, 12:31 PM
A big F'n dragon landing in the middle of the market would be awesome.

THIS

Ashiel_Dragmire
08-11-2010, 12:32 PM
I'm sadly a new player who missed the invasion, so I'd love to see something similar occur.

/signed

QuantumFX
08-11-2010, 12:34 PM

Meh. I think the devs should start up the Risian games again, let it run for a few days, reveal that the “Jack Frostbite” that we’ve seen since the end of the inital games is a tiefling imposter and then have the harbor get swarmed by Ice Flensers.

ArloOne
08-11-2010, 12:34 PM
I remember everyone laughing how we had a bunch of stormgiants (GH quest givers) standing around like nothing was going on....yelling" Come On Crag! Swing that dammed club!!!!

What a fun time that was! Awesome screenies...!!! Thanks

stormarcher
08-11-2010, 12:36 PM
This sounds like a great idea!

Zeruell
08-11-2010, 01:43 PM
Meh. I think the devs should start up the Risian games again, let it run for a few days, reveal that the “Jack Frostbite” that we’ve seen since the end of the inital games is a tiefling imposter and then have the harbor get swarmed by Ice Flensers.

This. The stage is already set, what with the Waterworks/Invaders lead-in.

stormarcher
08-11-2010, 01:49 PM
What if they blew up House K? And all the monsters from dungeons in House K would be released (maybe a couple CR levels higher :p )

We would have:

A Dragon
Beholders
Fire Elementals
Undead
Fire Giant(from Von2)
etc,etc,

phalaeo
08-11-2010, 01:57 PM
Do it again! Do it again, I say!

Trillea
08-11-2010, 02:01 PM
As awesome as it would be, I doubt that they will do it anytime soon. Even with the VERY LOW playerbase that we had at the time compared to now, the lag was so bad I swear we almost crashed the servers a couple times. With all the F2P people showing up simultaneously for this I am sure they WOULD go down. And thus would be a VERY embarrassing PR moment for DDO.

TheDearLeader
08-11-2010, 02:04 PM
As awesome as it would be, I doubt that they will do it anytime soon. Even with the VERY LOW playerbase that we had at the time compared to now, the lag was so bad I swear we almost crashed the servers a couple times. With all the F2P people showing up simultaneously for this I am sure they WOULD go down. And thus would be a VERY embarrassing PR moment for DDO.

Could make it a P2P/Premium only day. I have no complaints, and considering the totally F2P Players don't give Turbine a bent penny? Well, they can.. get bent :)

ghettoGenius
08-11-2010, 02:11 PM
Screw the Marketplace. They should load up Amrath as a semi-public instance so we can mount a huge offensive against the demons there. Imagine multiple pit fiends running around, the odd titan here or there, DMs dropping mobs left and right and hundreds of PCs running for their lives. The event can end with a archon incursion into the devil area and the introduction of 2 new maps (devil and archon).

AZgreentea
08-11-2010, 02:13 PM
What if they blew up House K? And all the monsters from dungeons in House K would be released (maybe a couple CR levels higher :p )

We would have:

A Dragon
Beholders
Fire Elementals
Undead
Fire Giant(from Von2)
etc,etc,

I was thinking the Sentinals quest would be a perfect stage for an event in House D. When you get to the final chapter, the mobs have pushed the defenders nearly all the way out of the tower. The event could simply be the attackers get out of the front door. Then if you are actually in the story line, it would fit because when the event is over the line is back inside the door.

ArloOne
08-11-2010, 02:13 PM
I like Veridens' suggestions. That would allow everyone a little action in the attack. I do agree the lag was an issue during the marketplace event, but they fixed lag right :).

I am not so sure they could segregate f2p and p2p , although i will add. Perhaps having world events like the ones forementioned for p2p only would push some of the f2p's over to the darkside of p2p.

They have multiple instances for most public areas (market 1,2,3 etc) perhaps have another that p2p could only access and these events took place. Just an idea.

I do believe f2ps' should still be able to experience this type of event also, but you see my point. We could even get guess passes for p2p world event areas when one is coming..( More revenue Turbine)

To sum up, it appears most of us would love to see this happen again really soon.

Thanks for all the positive input folks!

stormarcher
08-11-2010, 02:17 PM
to solve the whole f2p and a big + to turbines revenue would be to place this event in a P2P zone only. If you were F2P you would have to buy guess passes/adventure packs (making turbine $$)

h4x0r1f1c
08-12-2010, 04:15 AM

This! Let us fight NPCs infront of people to show off!

MarkusWolfe
08-12-2010, 06:47 AM
I'm guessing it would be something along the lines of the local chef for the Wayward Lobster getting a weird spell mixed in his cooking, and the harbor being buried under a wave of Broccoli and Cheese.

They'd add forks and spoons to the DDO store, and you'd find Starch coins that you could turn in for napkins and wet-wipes...

lolz.

I'm all for an orc invasion. How about the rest of you>

Dwane_Diblie
08-12-2010, 10:03 AM
This sounds brilliant and I wish I was there. Would love to see this kind of thing.

P2P vs F2P? Hmmm... I like the guest pass idea and there was another idea of puting it in a P2P area and opening it up to F2P just for the event and a week after.

My idea is a little different. I would like to see 2 Houses break out in a fight. You can go and fight for your chosen House and get Favor for doing so while loosing favor from the other House. Have some form of winning event and then the House that wins gets all it's missions opened F2P for a week.

Kobolds spewing in to the Harbour would be fun also as anyone can deal with them to a degree. Anyway whatever happens (if they ever do another one) would be heaps of fun.

ArloOne
08-12-2010, 11:57 AM
The house vs. house idea would be neat. Probably very difficult to code, but I like it.

Eladiun
08-12-2010, 01:13 PM

I like it.

b3h0ld3r
08-13-2010, 06:17 AM
/Signed

I like all your ideas :D
The next place for destruction ... bank of Kundarak. So much space to play and with annoying stairs :p

The idea of the Danger in the city is another concept i like, as a more usual thing (not like a event in a certain time, and nothing else forward).

Spisey
08-13-2010, 06:29 AM
Spawn the epic bosses and sub-bosses from all 4 big top quests everywhere! :D:D:D

You will never like facing casters again! :o

Steiner-Davion
08-13-2010, 07:02 AM
The Marketplace nukage was cool, and for those who were not here then, the carnage was only in the Marketplace. The Harbor and all of the other Houses were unaffected and they had special "portal keeper dudes" near the normal spots of entrance that could pop you to the other location without going thru the marketplace if you wanted to.

The First climbing jumping game/obstacle course appeared at that time courtesy of the "12", as an observation deck to stage into the marketplace from. It had a great view, but rather limited resources.

Oh and persistent spells like WoF did not work, so blocking the exit port with them was not possible. (same thing for Blade Barriers) The Quest Devils Barracks in the Marketplace grew out of the leftovers from that quest. Run it on Elite for a bit of the flavor and make sure you only have level 16 or lower toons and no greensteel on ya. Taking on CR38 mobs was an undertaking.

At the end of the Beta Test Server a year ago, they had an awesome closeout event, where the developers took over the whole world and sent every and all bosses (in multiple) to crush the resistence on this plane. Wild Carnage that made the Marketplace event look like a cakewalk, but since those were all expendable characters and gear that would be getting flushed within days anyway, all options were on the table. There are some outstanding screenshots of that 3 hour event, but it is hard to get the flavor of the chaos without being there.

Especially cruel was the DM who parked a Huge Cube right on top the Res Shrine. When dead it was basically impossible to see the cube, until you took the res and promptly died again. Naked runs against piles of Pit Fiends, Ancient Dragons, et al, really put some to the test.

I taunted Tolero and Tarrant enough that for 10 minutes or so, they kept teleporting me into House D, which inside a Giant Gelatenous Cube, and I was instantly dead as soon as I zoned in. Those were good times.

I personnally loved the Warforged Titan vs Velah fight i nthe Harbor in front of the Marketplace gates.

noinfo
08-13-2010, 07:23 AM

Can't cast WOF in marketplace.

But I was just thinking about livening the marketplace up again. Would love to see lowbies running from teleporting devils on occasion.

rossiza
08-13-2010, 07:29 AM
Epic Velah inside korthos village and we rename it 'Ding' ?

Welcome to Kor.... DING!

ArloOne
08-17-2010, 12:27 PM
Lets try and keep this going. It appears that the majority of forum readers like the idea.
We need to keep pressing the issue so Turbine responds!!!

Hope they take a look at it and make it happen...don't you?

Sign away so they take us serisouly!