PDA

View Full Version : Group forming techniques

karl_k0ch
08-08-2010, 09:14 AM
/drama on

So, I was joining a LFM for Madstone and asked the leader if he knew the quest because I didn't. Being the second one in the party, I waited as the party slowly began to fill. At 5/6, we didn't have a healer so I suggested the leader should change the lfm accordingly. It turned out that the only cleric available wanted to bring a friend. So the leader said in the party chat "Sorry, he wants to bring a friend." and dismissed me 10 seconds later. No further apology, no tell before. No asking if someone wants to step back.

Is this how you roll, Orien?

Edit: As a side note, maybe he was only role-playing as I found out that his character was chaotic neutral. :)

JohnRove
08-08-2010, 11:03 AM
Ouch, Never seen that happen and definitely never done it myself. That to me seems horribly bad etiquette Can you PM me the character name so I can keep an eye out for him/her and let my guild know about this.

TrinityTurtle
08-08-2010, 05:07 PM
/drama on

Edit: As a side note, maybe he was only role-playing as I found out that his character was chaotic neutral. :)

Not generally, but I also don't assume that one player's choices are a true and balanced representation of an entire server comprised of a large group of different people with differing ethical and manner values either.

Khanyth
08-08-2010, 06:19 PM
/drama on

So, I was joining a LFM for Madstone and asked the leader if he knew the quest because I didn't. Being the second one in the party, I waited as the party slowly began to fill. At 5/6, we didn't have a healer so I suggested the leader should change the lfm accordingly. It turned out that the only cleric available wanted to bring a friend. So the leader said in the party chat "Sorry, he wants to bring a friend." and dismissed me 10 seconds later. No further apology, no tell before. No asking if someone wants to step back.

It sucks, but let it go.

Not generally, but I also don't assume that one player's choices are a true and balanced representation of an entire server comprised of a large group of different people with differing ethical and manner values either.

QFT.

Arel
08-08-2010, 06:21 PM
Ouch, Never seen that happen and definitely never done it myself. That to me seems horribly bad etiquette Can you PM me the character name so I can keep an eye out for him/her and let my guild know about this.

Ditto; that's a little extreme. I'd like to flag him on my guild as well, if you don't mind PMing me too.

unscythe
08-08-2010, 06:34 PM
Another case of desperate leader and a healer wanting to bring a friend.

Some people play classes they don't like to get into groups. But yeah people have different ethics, but I think that it is rare for people to kick someone unless its a group full of friends or guildies. That is also usually when they ask nicely.

Good luck

Cupcake
08-09-2010, 11:51 AM

Same. I don't condone that type of behavior.

karl_k0ch
08-09-2010, 12:20 PM
pms sent.

I am not angry at whole Orien and I admit, this might have sounded a bit preachy.

LordMond
08-09-2010, 06:14 PM
While I in no way condone it, I admit that I do understand it.

Simply put, there aren't enough healers out there. Not talking about good healers. mind....just characters who can heal at all. My Bard has had to be main healer occasionally for groups because there was nothing else available. You didn't mention what class you play but I'm going to guess that the leader knew that it was easier to replace your class and that doing so would allow him to fill the healer slot as well. It's brutal calculus on his part.

What I would have done differently is what you suggested: ask if anyone would mind dropping out to free up a slot for the Cleric's friend. If no one was willing to bow out graciously, perhaps have everyone roll a d/100 and let chance make the choice.

To answer you final question: no, that is >NOT< how Orien rolls. I've played on 4 of the DDO servers and this one is, by far, the most friendly. Sure, there are exceptions- one of which you ran afoul- but he is the exception, not the rule.

Cupcake
08-09-2010, 06:20 PM
While I in no way condone it, I admit that I do understand it.

Simply put, there aren't enough healers out there. Not talking about good healers. mind....just characters who can heal at all. My Bard has had to be main healer occasionally for groups because there was nothing else available. You didn't mention what class you play but I'm going to guess that the leader knew that it was easier to replace your class and that doing so would allow him to fill the healer slot as well. It's brutal calculus on his part.

What I would have done differently is what you suggested: ask if anyone would mind dropping out to free up a slot for the Cleric's friend. If no one was willing to bow out graciously, perhaps have everyone roll a d/100 and let chance make the choice.

To answer you final question: no, that is >NOT< how Orien rolls. I've played on 4 of the DDO servers and this one is, by far, the most friendly. Sure, there are exceptions- one of which you ran afoul- but he is the exception, not the rule.

Let's just leave it at I disagree completely with that statement.

With the exception of a few friends that I have made and my guildmates.

Nathlin
08-10-2010, 05:51 PM
Ugh, what a git.

Can you send me a Pm with his name aswell Karl?

LordMond
08-10-2010, 08:51 PM
Let's just leave it at I disagree completely with that statement.

With the exception of a few friends that I have made and my guildmates.

Cupcake, I truly hate that you've had a bad experience on Orien. You deserve better.

Maybe I've just been lucky in that I've not run into many of the kind of players my parents warned me about.

Cupcake
08-11-2010, 04:41 PM
Cupcake, I truly hate that you've had a bad experience on Orien. You deserve better.

Maybe I've just been lucky in that I've not run into many of the kind of players my parents warned me about.

Well, I discussed this issue with a fellow guildmate, and we both agreed that its not just happening on Orien, its happening on all servers.

I think its just a little more pronounced on Orien because its a smaller server.

unscythe
08-11-2010, 08:58 PM
The influx of new and inconsiderate players.

gurslak
08-12-2010, 06:33 AM
I think the less said about that group leader the better.

I have to slightly agree with Cupcake here too, now I've not played on any other servers so wont/cant make any comparisons within DDO, but can to other MMO's, Orien's community is generally ok, but I've noticed the vocal ones are very, very needy and demanding and if you do something that isn't what they want then you generally get moaned at, at best, I've been rage dumped by a group leader for casting spells other than cure spells on my cleric; I cast Soundburst and we were in Waterworks on normal, not exactly a difficult place and a pretty useful spell, but I'm a cleric so apparently all I can cast is healing spells., which isn't an uncommon thought.

Unfortunately I feel the priblem is players coming from other MMO's, as I have, and being used to clerics/priests just being heal bots and mainly being used to a much more critical and harsher community. They continue to act the same here which somewhat spoils the more friendly and helpful atmosphere I've also come across on the server.

karl_k0ch
08-12-2010, 11:37 AM
I have to slightly agree with Cupcake here too, now I've not played on any other servers so wont/cant make any comparisons within DDO, but can to other MMO's, Orien's community is generally ok, but I've noticed the vocal ones are very, very needy and demanding and if you do something that isn't what they want then you generally get moaned at, at best, I've been rage dumped by a group leader for casting spells other than cure spells on my cleric; I cast Soundburst and we were in Waterworks on normal, not exactly a difficult place and a pretty useful spell, but I'm a cleric so apparently all I can cast is healing spells., which isn't an uncommon thought.

Oh that leader doesn't appreciate fine clerical crowd control. What a waste. Since I ran WW together with a very nice cleric, I am in love with sound burst.

LordMond
08-12-2010, 08:45 PM
Well, I discussed this issue with a fellow guildmate, and we both agreed that its not just happening on Orien, its happening on all servers.

I think its just a little more pronounced on Orien because its a smaller server.

Well now that's a valid point.

100 arsewipes on Argo is one thing; 100 arsewipes on Orien is quite another.

And to the poster that mentioned it being more prevalent on pretty much all MMOs now than it once was, that is true and not surprising. Again, it seems a matter of statistics. The pool of potential MMO players is far larger now than it was when, say, EQ debuted, and that expanded pool of players is bound to include just as many complete idiots (if not more) than even halfway decent players.