PDA

View Full Version : Suggested changes to Reincarnation variants

waterboytkd
08-06-2010, 01:46 PM
I'm writing this in the hopes that the devs see it, and at least consider it for a future update. Hey, if all the hoopla over Shinao Monk sucking got their attention, then there's at least a chance! :P This really stemmed from my desire to have my monk not be a drow. Really, anything but a drow (it's not that bad, but the munchkin in me would pay real money to be something better).

So I'd like to see some kind of reincarnation that allowed you to change race without having to go back to level 1. I mean, it's not like race is the core choice for defining how your character is played; that's your class. Your race just gives you extra bonuses/penalties that can effect how efficient you are at your role. And yet, they have something in place to let you change your class, even if it's at most 3 levels at a time. So you can change the core way you play your toon, but not a choice that only really gives bonuses/penalties to roles?

So why not a race changing reincarnation? Change the variants to something like this:

Lesser Reincarnation: pretty much exactly as it is now, with the exception of letting you upgrade your 28 point builds to 32 point builds if you now have the 32 point build account feature. Still have the +1 and +3 versions.

Greater Reincarnation: lesser reincarnation, except you can choose a new race. Have +1 and +3 versions.

True Reincarnation: no changes.

They could put the greater hearts of wood in the ddo store, charge us real money for it, and it'd probably make them bank in the end. I mean, when new races come out, I'm sure more than a few people would like to try them, but don't want to start all over again. With this, they'd pay real money for the new race AND the heart of wood, just to try it out.

Plus, doesn't anyone else think it's pretty lame that the only difference between a lesser and greater reincarnation, right now, is the ability to apply the 32 point build account feature to your toon? By letting us change race, it would really feel like a greater form of reincarnation, not just a slightly better one.

Of course, if I'm off in how good the 28 to 32 point bump is, leave the lesser reincarnation as it is now and have:

Moderate Reincarnation: lesser reincarnation with upgrade from 28 to 32 point builds, if that feature is open on account.

Greater Reincarnation: as moderate reincarnation, but with race change.

These ideas could probably be refined a bit, but it'd be nice to see something that allowed us to try different races without having to start all over again, especially since we can change everything else that's even more gameplay defining for our toons.

PS why isn't the current greater heart of wood in the ddo store? or does it just not show up if it's unavailable for that toon?

Chaosprism
08-14-2010, 09:08 PM
I think there should be a "Real Reincarnation" option.

Which basically allows you to change your race and go to 32 point (when you have access) allows you to reskill, refeat, change visuals etc

With the normal +1 and +3 options

dkyle
08-14-2010, 09:17 PM
I definitely would have appreciated a race-changing lesser/greater reincarnation. I TR'd my Bard basically solely to switch her from Drow (gimped HP) to Human (much nicer). The +2 build points didn't get me much, and the Bard past life is pretty useless for her build.

waterboytkd
08-16-2010, 01:04 PM
me, too. Last weekend, I true reincarnated my monk pretty much just to get her from drow to halfling. it seems weird to me that we have to start all over just to change race, but we can alter class levels without starting over. i promise that being 20 monk is more defining for my character than being drow or halfling. i just wanted to be a halfling so i could try the earth fist tree. why make me start over for that? (turbine, you make money either way--i'm still paying for a reincarnation heart)

Delar303
08-17-2010, 01:03 PM
Any news on changing your race without re-leveling with True Reincarnate? Any pay options? I noticed you can change your alignment now through the DDO store.

AyumiAmakusa
08-17-2010, 01:11 PM
Sex change as well pls.