PDA

View Full Version : An EPIC Epic modification to sprinkle new life into the quests

joneb1999
08-04-2010, 05:09 AM
As is well known by the time people get to running epic difficulty they have already done many of those quests to death already. The only reason seems to be to grind for epic tokens to make epic items and the very basic challenge of the difficulty level. My idea is simply to add new optionals (some may be side stories)to every epic version of a quest.

Yes I know new content takes time to make and thats why we get epic difficulty to new adventure packs rather than new 20th level quests but I'm not talking content such as a new quest chain of 4 or 5 quests of a medium to very long length. I'm talking short but fun and ingenious add ons to compliment those current quests and their epic challenge. The benefits could vary such as a much better token reward in the loot or maybe an item that empowers the party to easier completion of the quest like the seals that allow you to avoid fighting the Djinns in Wizard King.

Also the optionals don't have to be all done at once as it could be rolled out with existing updates as for example with update 6 the epic versions of those new quests get this optional and maybe Von and Plane of Night too.

For instance in VoN the optional could give a great loot reward and cause an extra boss to be added to Plane of Night. This boss could be on an optional island that can be easily bypassed but if you kill this boss you get a special quest weapon to help you defeat the dragon and an extra chest at the end.

This is a revamp that shouldn't be hard to do but adds new value.

articwarrior
08-04-2010, 10:57 AM
yes,
but it would make more 1st timers confused
on the other hand, epic quests really dont have many first timers...
+1 for the idea but I dont think the dev's will give it the go-ahead :(

joneb1999
08-04-2010, 11:43 PM
yes,
but it would make more 1st timers confused
on the other hand, epic quests really dont have many first timers...
+1 for the idea but I dont think the dev's will give it the go-ahead :(

I dont see why it wouldnt be given a go ahead. Its not demanding an awful lot more work. As for confusion, it wouldnt be any more so than an awful lot of DDO game mechanics / rules and a short description could be added to the quest/raid description such as "this quests epic difficulty contains additional challenging content".

Sweyn
08-05-2010, 12:03 AM
Wow, someone on this forum who can speak proper english and use grammar correctly. It really makes it so much easier to read.

+1 rep for that, let alone the good idea.

joneb1999
08-07-2010, 02:51 PM
Thanks Sweyn. I was hoping more people would give feedback and maybe get the thread noticed by Turbine. ;) lol :rolleyes:

sirgog
08-07-2010, 10:46 PM
They sort-of did this with the Desert epics - each one except for DQ2 has changed encounters.

They aren't optionals (mostly they are modified boss fights) but some of them are downright evil (ADQ1's Disjunction balls come to mind, as do Raiyum's Dread Hex Wraiths. OOB's Vulkoor Rattlers are an interesting addition too.

joneb1999
08-08-2010, 01:32 PM
They sort-of did this with the Desert epics - each one except for DQ2 has changed encounters.

They aren't optionals (mostly they are modified boss fights) but some of them are downright evil (ADQ1's Disjunction balls come to mind, as do Raiyum's Dread Hex Wraiths. OOB's Vulkoor Rattlers are an interesting addition too.

Those examples are interesting but are quite minimal adjustments. What I was suggesting gives the option not only for a new challenge completely in each of two quests, but an optional story plot bolt on that carries through two quests with the option for extra reward but with minmial effort to devs (in comparison to designing a whole new quest).

Arel
08-08-2010, 01:44 PM
Those examples are interesting but are quite minimal adjustments. What I was suggesting gives the option not only for a new challenge completely in each of two quests, but an optional story plot bolt on that carries through two quests with the option for extra reward but with minmial effort to devs (in comparison to designing a whole new quest).

This is probably a good bit harder than you make it sound... Dont' take it the wrong way, I like the idea and would love to see it implemented. But realistically, there's not much you can add to a quest with a set map beyond new mini-boss encounters. I'm all for more loot, but...

+1 though, because it IS a cool idea.