PDA

View Full Version : Cleric/Monk/Fighter gear?

zztophat
08-01-2010, 12:06 AM
7 cleric
7 monk
6 fighter

Currently I'm at 7cleric/2 fighter/3monk.

Ok I don't really need input on the build itself, I've already worked that out myself.

Basically radiant savant I, light path monk, longsword kensai.

Strictly speaking, not a healbot, although I have found I can keep groups at full health for entire quests without using any sp. Still, despite having a slew of positive energy bursts and constantly using Healing Ki I am not comfortable calling myself a healer due to the lack of "big heals" (aside from Unyielding Sovereignty), it's not my intent to build a healer, despite my constantly healing... ya, that makes perfect sense.

Anyway... my goal here is to make a melee, that self heals, without using sp or items. So far I have exactly that, I clear entire quests solo, running past rest shrines without even touching my sp bar. I sometimes use my sp for buffs like deathward and freedom but rarely for anything else. In a pinch I cast cure critical on myself, which hits me for a lot, because this is a human monk and I am getting all the healing amp I can get my hands on.

That's my build in a nutshell, now where I need advice on it:

GEAR.

A lot of planning went in to this monkish sword swinging positive energy addict, in so far as stats, enhancements, levels and ect. But I didn't really think out what rare loots I should be hunting for. I have things set aside for higher levels, like a pair of dream edges, one of which is the melee alclarity +10% type (even if I go longsword kensai I'll be using that at least in my off-hand), all my +6 stat items, heavy fort, deathblock, you know all the basics.

But what other gear should I be looking for? Levik's Bracers comes to mind as something that takes a high healing amp and makes it borderline overkill. I've seen those up for roll many times and have not bothered to roll for them myself often enough to know that, generally, only 2 or 3 people per hound actually want them, leading me to think it should not be too hard to get a pair myself.

Greensteel longsword or Greensteel kama?

I intend to wear a superior potency (already have) or a devotion hat so heavy fort goes around my neck. because of that Goggles and or cloak become my Greensteel item slots.

Greensteel con-op or Greensteel Goggles With Healing Lore (+6%), +15 hp, +2 Con Skills - Stoneskin (2/day), +20 hp, +3 Con Skills - Heavy Fortification, +5 Protection.
having heavy fort goggles frees up my neck for a +6 wisdom item and that in turn frees me up a ring slot to have something other than wis +6 which then should be what?

Any gear suggestions would be appreciated.

EDIT: Currently I like using dual vicious puregood longswords, because due to my "mutant healing factor" I can use them without consequence, any other "self hurty gear of dealing great damage out there"?

hydra_ex
08-01-2010, 12:55 AM
Get 2 MinII Longswords, of course, and at least one triple positive one with healing 30% on it.

Levik's Bracers can be useful, but get the +20% on your DT T2.

Wear a minos for heavy fort, and just get superior potency VI on your necklace from Amrath (there are several, the bard ones). Or even better yet, you can collect the belt clickies (which are 9 min/day combined), or just use potions.

Since your DPS will never be the best, Tharne's Goggles are of especial importance to you, so put those in your goggle set. Make a MinII HP helm, because that leaves your gloves open to the gauntlets of eternity from the reaver (superior healing lore for you), and lets your cloak become an SP Existential Stalemate helmet (which gives your +6 WIS).

So, ideally, I would equip you like this:
Helmet: Mineral II HP helmet
Trinket: Bloodstone/Litany
Necklace: Shiona's, Smedgar's, or Torin's/Shintao Chord
Goggles: Tharne's Goggles/Mentau's Goggles
Cloak: SP Existential Stalemate
Gloves: Gauntlets of Eternity/Epic Spectral Gloves
Belt: Knost's Belt
Boots: Striding +30%/Madstone Boots
Bracers: Epic (or regular) Jidz-tek'ta (use in fire stance)
Ring I: Kyosho's Ring (With CON +2)
Ring II: Encrusted Ring (with STR +2)
Armour: DT: Resistance +5/Healing Amp 10%/Earthgrab Guard
Weapons: 2 MinIIs (the standard)/1 Lit II, 1 Pos III (with T3 Healing amp 30%)

zztophat
08-01-2010, 03:12 AM
Wow that's quite a shopping list, considering my other capped toons are still working on getting their own gear I'll have to put most of that down as "hopefully someday" gear but thank you for the suggestions.

Are there any easier to get loots that could be useful until then?

Syntax42
08-01-2010, 09:38 PM
This is a silly build idea. Try Cleric 18 / Monk 2 instead. Depend on gear and blade barrier for DPS, rather than wasting your levels on excessive multiclassing. Plenty of people have used it and been successful without taking more multiclass levels.

In your build idea, the 7 cleric levels are pretty much worthless to you and to a group. Sure, you can UMD things without a UMD check, but you won't have enough SPs to survive between shrines and you won't be a useful healer to a group. Worst of all, you won't have Heal spell.

zztophat
08-01-2010, 11:46 PM
This is a silly build idea. Try Cleric 18 / Monk 2 instead. Depend on gear and blade barrier for DPS, rather than wasting your levels on excessive multiclassing. Plenty of people have used it and been successful without taking more multiclass levels.

In your build idea, the 7 cleric levels are pretty much worthless to you and to a group. Sure, you can UMD things without a UMD check, but you won't have enough SPs to survive between shrines and you won't be a useful healer to a group. Worst of all, you won't have Heal spell.

You didn't even read my post did you? I don't want to be group healer, I'm not trying to be group healer. The most common question I'm asked when I join a group is "are you a battle cleric" or "are you melee spec or healing?" I answer truthfully and say I'm not a healer and I've yet to be kicked for it. 7 levels of cleric are more than enough for what I need by way of self healing. I rarely use shrines, I just solo'd threnal hard today and did the entire western excavation without any of the shrines for any part of the quest chain, the only sp I used was to cast fom on myself.

This is the third iteration of this style build I've made, I made and deleted a monk/cleric and a fighter/favored soul. Both builds did well but I deleted them at around level 15 because they were test beds for various concepts I was testing.

I knew what I was doing going in to this, I know the limitations (dps with only a slight edge over most battle cleric builds) and the advantages, high universal saves, evasion, high hp and superb self-healing.

Syntax42
08-02-2010, 08:43 AM
I rarely use shrines, I just solo'd threnal hard today and did the entire western excavation without any of the shrines for any part of the quest chain, the only sp I used was to cast fom on myself.
So your 7 cleric levels were dragging you down there. If you don't use abilities, spells, or tools from a class, those class choices did not benefit you. The reduced BAB given by cleric levels will be a hindrance without casting Divine Power every minute.

I knew what I was doing going in to this, I know the limitations (dps with only a slight edge over most battle cleric builds) and the advantages, high universal saves, evasion, high hp and superb self-healing.
You lack the superb self-healing you claim to have. Without heal spell, you may as well be running in circles UMDing a cure critical wand.

DrNuegebauer
08-02-2010, 03:59 PM
So your 7 cleric levels were dragging you down there. If you don't use abilities, spells, or tools from a class, those class choices did not benefit you. The reduced BAB given by cleric levels will be a hindrance without casting Divine Power every minute.

You lack the superb self-healing you claim to have. Without heal spell, you may as well be running in circles UMDing a cure critical wand.

To be fair, his 'self healing' is the steady ticking from the monk and then the radiant servant pulse healing.

That'll work great up until the stage that you can't offset the incoming damage in that fashion any longer. UNLESS his AC is so pimped that incoming damage won't be a factor anyway.

So on the gear question, I'd be recommending that you take AC items in an effort to hit 60+ AC.

I do think you'll miss the quickened heal though...

Diyon
08-02-2010, 04:04 PM
http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=248800 Solar Phoenix, similar build goals, might have some useful info for you there.

zztophat
08-02-2010, 10:24 PM

Cleric's have 3/4 BAB, the same as bards and rogues, last time I checked, bards and rogues were used in melee. If was missing anything (it has not been an issue) up until this point I'd be using my divine power clickies (I have a total of 9 charges carried on me at the moment, I am thinking of just dropping all but one 3 charge bracer back in the bank because I never need the extra atk bonus)

I cast cure critical on myself for 90 (I'm not carrying devotion or potency yet, that will add 50% on top of that), and I only have +30% healing amp at the moment (In the end I plan to have more than +100%). I don't need to UMD cure critical wands either (7 levels of cleric again), but I do carry them, they hit me for 70-80 because 7 levels of cleric grants wand and scroll mastery II.

Cleric 7 also grants:
Unyielding Sovereignty: http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/Enhancement:Unyielding_Sovereignty
Cleric life magic III (This effects positive energy bursts and healing KI)

As for not using my cleric abilities? Yes I could have taken life magic and Unyielding Sovereignty from paladin but then I would not have freedom of movement, and the free UMD for divine scrolls and wands. But more importantly I would not have radiant servant. Those positive bursts are great, and I've found that I can use them when being gazed at by beholders, healing and removing negative levels at the same time (when battling them in invaders I use a burst every time I hear that level drain sound, removing neg levels from myself and who ever is nearby mid fight has made that particular quest a breeze). For the threnal run I just mentioned I used them several times, I started the last quest in the western chain with 9 turns and finished with 4, having used bursts about 7-8 times. Without the burst I don't doubt I would have at some point, had to use sp, which I like to hold in reserve.

I did that entire chain with dual vicious longswords.

Healing amp and healing bonuses count for a lot, I've done entire quests with my FvS healbot casting only cure mass light wounds, because it hits for 50 and so long as someone doesn't suddenly take a series of massive hits that is all the group needs. These are people without high healing amp getting that much healing from a 1d8+X healing spell. A human with healing amp can self heal with cure serious pots, I've seen them do it, each potion hitting for only about 50 restoring a character to full life while in combat with dozens of orthons.

A friend of mine has a capstone cleric, he rarely uses anything but cure critical on himself, because he doesn't need more than that. For other people he uses the heal spell but for himself he only needs a cure critical to fill half his life bar. He has about 400 hp and does not have any healing amp on himself. Such are the effects of healing bonuses.

But as for running in circles UMDing cure critical wands, I've done that with my sorc, many times. It works, it's saved my life several times and gave me the time I needed to clear a room so I can rez scroll the rest of my party.

zztophat
08-02-2010, 10:30 PM
http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=248800 Solar Phoenix, similar build goals, might have some useful info for you there.

Thanks, that is very useful, I really like the +400% healing on that build with healing ki hitting for 200.

I was hoping for about 200% healing amp myself but seeing a build with that much makes me consider aiming even higher.