PDA

View Full Version : Clothing

Therigar
07-28-2010, 02:16 PM
We all know that the Turbine Store sells (mostly) cosmetic headgear.

The Top Hat caught everyone's attention in my household and my son, daughter and I all wanted one just to look dapper.

Today, driving to the doctor's for before school starts again checkups, my son says, "Wouldn't it be cool if you could wear a tux with the top hat?"

Well, I think it would be. And, even if it is just cosmetic I think it would be fun.

Turbine could offer various options. The vest only for warforged. Short jackets, tails, short pants, long pants, kilts, skirts. And, they could offer different colors as well (or better, color kits like the hair dyes).

But, don't stop there. What about the pirate outfits and the party hats? I'm sure that Turbine could come up with a variety of outfits to fit each of the headgear groupings and that people would be interested.

I'd love to have a black or indigo stealth suit to go with my hood. And, with fun (and mildly appropriate) bonuses tacked in I could see these generating a lot of demand.

Oh well, just thought I'd pass it along....

Goldeneye
07-28-2010, 02:18 PM
Sure. It'll happen eventually w/ all micro-transaction based games. It's just a matter of how much money the dev's want to take from 8 year olds who think wearing turds on there heads is hilarious.

kaidendager
07-28-2010, 02:21 PM
Sure. It'll happen eventually w/ all micro-transaction based games. It's just a matter of how much money the dev's want to take from 8 year olds who think wearing turds on there heads is hilarious.

Well said. I wouldn't mind eventually being able to show a different skin than you are wearing (so that the options aren't Minos Legens or /showhelmet off), but the whole concept of TP bought clothing to look "neato" rubs me the wrong way. It's D&D, I'd like myself and my atmosphere to look like it belongs in a fantasy realm.

Therigar
07-28-2010, 02:28 PM
Goldeneye, I just wanted to thank you for your insightful and kindly worded response. It certainly is beneficial and contributes significantly to any meaningful discussion that may occur.

FWIW, I think that the ability to change clothing looks as you can do to helms with the top hat and some of the other cosmetic headgear would be fun. It is something that I would spend my turbine points on. And, having paid for as many as 4 VIP accounts simultaneously (scaling back now only because of DDO:EU) the money issue doesn't really exist.

However, with your incredible insight into people's motivations and maturity levels I just wanted to make certain I complimented you for adding so significantly to the discussion.

Goldeneye
07-28-2010, 02:43 PM
Ha ha. I appreciate the sarcasm.

Altering your characters cosmetics is something we've wanted for years.

Purchasing new "skins" for your hats and sheilds could be great.

After playing too much Maplestory... entire outfits might be overkill, by armor dies would be awesome!
http://content.screencast.com/users/Faction/folders/Jing/media/5ff73e8c-c4f9-48d1-b276-a21a6ff89284/2010-07-28_1545.png

Therigar
07-28-2010, 02:43 PM
I wouldn't mind eventually being able to show a different skin than you are wearing (so that the options aren't Minos Legens or /showhelmet off), but the whole concept of TP bought clothing to look "neato" rubs me the wrong way. It's D&D, I'd like myself and my atmosphere to look like it belongs in a fantasy realm.

I do agree with this in a general sense but should remind you about Snarf. You recall Snarf and SnarfQuest? You recall his companion, the VR-X9-4-M2 Galactic Probe, Government Issue Robot (Aveeare)? Or that Suthaze the wizard had a motorcycle, wore biker gear and had a revolver as his wand of magic missiles?

The entire point of fantasy is that cross-planar, cross-dimensional, time-traveling escapades are possible. Yes, the bulk of the environment is vaguely medieval. That doesn't mean that the clothing cannot reflect that -- at least for the most part. And, it doesn't mean that other options could not or would not exist for more modern elements sneaking in (as they already have with pirate and circus headgear).

But, I think that your objections show that there is an underlying fear that people would actually wear the clothing. That indicates that it might be a good idea in the micro-transaction world.

So, thank you for your insights.

Therigar
07-28-2010, 02:53 PM
Altering your characters cosmetics is something we've wanted for years.

I agree and would like to see at least armor dyes available even if whole skin changes were not. And, I suppose it is part and parcel of what I am suggesting.

One of the things I've noticed is that there are some really good looking shields, armors, helms and hats -- and there are some really ugly ones. What is nice about the game is that what I think looks good is somebody else's ugly -- and my ugly is someone else's good looking. Because vanity is a big part of a character (anyone else shop for just the right miniature to represent their PnP character on the tabletop?) being able to keep the attributes you want on an item while altering its appearance would seem a worthwhile endeavor in the micro-transaction world.

Regardless of the nature of the skin change, it is obvious that people have an interest.

Oh, and could you give me pure colors for my warforged while you are at it. Black, blue and even yellow just don't come thru.

Teldurn
07-28-2010, 04:02 PM

The Top Hat caught everyone's attention in my household and my son, daughter and I all wanted one just to look dapper.

Today, driving to the doctor's for before school starts again checkups, my son says, "Wouldn't it be cool if you could wear a tux with the top hat?"

Well, I think it would be. And, even if it is just cosmetic I think it would be fun.

Turbine could offer various options. The vest only for warforged. Short jackets, tails, short pants, long pants, kilts, skirts. And, they could offer different colors as well (or better, color kits like the hair dyes).

But, don't stop there. What about the pirate outfits and the party hats? I'm sure that Turbine could come up with a variety of outfits to fit each of the headgear groupings and that people would be interested.

I'd love to have a black or indigo stealth suit to go with my hood. And, with fun (and mildly appropriate) bonuses tacked in I could see these generating a lot of demand.

Not to mention how positively it would affect roleplaying all around! Surely adventurers don't wander around town all day in their heavy armor and holding their weapons in their hands.

The game mechanic of weapon sets is a good start to this, since you can click on an empty weapon set to unequip your weapons and walk around empty handed, as it should be. The next step is actual casual clothing to wear around town or to events. Being forced to choose to wear robes as the most casual option as it currently stands is not exactly ideal, but it's better than nothing.

I'd like to suggest a nice longsleeve white button-down cotton shirt, a snappy blue silk vest to go over it, and a sharp pair of black or brown pants.

h4x0r1f1c
07-28-2010, 10:06 PM
It's a great way for the cash cows to reel in some more money, obviously.

I mean if there are people willing to buy, why not? You're willing to buy.

I'd like to buy a Halo costume.

kaidendager
07-28-2010, 10:23 PM
I do agree with this in a general sense but should remind you about Snarf. You recall Snarf and SnarfQuest? You recall his companion, the VR-X9-4-M2 Galactic Probe, Government Issue Robot (Aveeare)? Or that Suthaze the wizard had a motorcycle, wore biker gear and had a revolver as his wand of magic missiles?

I can't say I'm familiar with what you are talking about, but it certainly does sound interesting.

(as they already have with pirate and circus headgear).

Okay here is the clear difference in what I'm tryihg to communicate (which I did not do adequately in the first post). The pirate headgear is purely cosmetic and that's all well and good by me. I don't have a problem if someone wants to drop a couple bucks to look like a pirate, but remain useful.

The circus headgear is not purely cosmetic. I see too many people running around with it at level 11+ with 0 fort because it looks "dapper". At this stage, you're rewarding people for being less usefl to groups (read PUGs). I have enough trouble carrying new players through quests without trying to hear "I'm James Bond! Guys! Guys, did you hear me? I'm James Bond!" over and over.

I'm entirely in favor of customizeable cosmetics.

But, I think that your objections show that there is an underlying fear that people would actually wear the clothing. That indicates that it might be a good idea in the micro-transaction world.

So, thank you for your insights.

And as I stated, you are correct; I do believe people would be using such things and therein my problem.

As far as whether or not it fits a fantasy realm it's pointless to debate. I don't want to see the WoW laser guns anytime soon, but I don't have a real issue blurring timelines a bit. Beyond such black and white statements, we're essentially at the whim of Turbine and it couldn't be a progressive debate.

Battlehawke
07-28-2010, 10:36 PM
I thought it interesting in one of Fernandos recent interviews that he mentioned that he thought the DDO store would have done better with the cosmetic changes. He thought that people would buy them more than they do. Its pretty sad that the changes available are limited to the head mostly (hair color and hats.) I don't think people are that interested in that.

However if you could change the color of your Armor or Shield, or even put a symbol on them (guild maybe), then I think Tubine would have a little gold mind there. We have a few people in our guild that only wear certain colored armor even if the armor sucks... They would probably pay good bucks to put that color on their good armor.....

...You listening Turbine?

$$$$$$
Battlehawke

ps, since it's my idea, can I have 10% of sales from this idea?

Therigar
07-28-2010, 11:29 PM
Okay here is the clear difference in what I'm tryihg to communicate (which I did not do adequately in the first post). The pirate headgear is purely cosmetic and that's all well and good by me. I don't have a problem if someone wants to drop a couple bucks to look like a pirate, but remain useful.

The circus headgear is not purely cosmetic. I see too many people running around with it at level 11+ with 0 fort because it looks "dapper". At this stage, you're rewarding people for being less usefl to groups (read PUGs). I have enough trouble carrying new players through quests without trying to hear "I'm James Bond! Guys! Guys, did you hear me? I'm James Bond!" over and over.

I'm entirely in favor of customizeable cosmetics.

The top hat from the DDO store can be worn and changes the look of whatever you have on your head -- but does not remove or replace that item. So, if your heavy fort item is on your head and you wear the DDO store top hat you still have your heavy fort.

SnarfQuest was a Larry Elmore comic that ran in Dragon magazine. IIRC it may be online now.

sainy_matthew
07-29-2010, 12:06 AM
*shudders at the idea of people running around looking like james bond*

Its a nice idea & it would also be nice if players could design the appearance of suits of armour, much in the same way you can in Dragonage. It would be nice to be able to design them, pitch them too turbine, have turbine decide if they want to put them in the DDOStore as a skin (same as what we do with helmets) & allow the designers to make 1 turbine point off of every however many units sold.

Player designed content is what keeps interest high. I mean look at city of heroes, even when Champions online came out (in all its FAIL glory), most players continued on with City of Heroes & most of there time isn't spent in the greater world (because to be honset the city & its missions self really REALLY sucks), instead its spent making & testing player made adventure content.

-M

jcTharin
07-29-2010, 12:16 AM
i wanna be a ninja

donfilibuster
07-29-2010, 03:11 AM
Past threads about cosmetic items do include warnings or pleas about "not turning a d&d game into a dress up game" and about "there's so many things to fix first thus please don't distract the devs with frilly requests".

Ormindo
07-29-2010, 03:24 AM
I hope DDO will never offer full ouftits.

Most of the F2P games live due to the "fashions". Funnily, cashops tends to sell the best thing they do : other games are selling clothes, DDO is selling quests.

Seeing a girl in Bikini pwning a fully armored Paladin is not what I wish to see.

Lleren
07-29-2010, 04:05 AM
I would like to see more appearance options in game, preferably in game methods. Preferably not silly things like schoolgirl outfits and bunny suits.

An appearance slot method using the appearance of one piece of loot that your character can wear, while getting the effects of a piece of gear your character is actually wearing would be ideal to me. No in game benefits for the piece in the appearance slot, simply its appearance.

Kinerd
07-29-2010, 10:07 AM
Past threads about cosmetic items do include warnings or pleas about "not turning a d&d game into a dress up game" and about "there's so many things to fix first thus please don't distract the devs with frilly requests".A counterpoint: please turn this d&d game into a dress up game! A please trumps pleas.

Odin's_Hugin
10-01-2010, 02:24 PM
Seeing a girl in Bikini pwning a fully armored Paladin is not what I wish to see.

So apparently you've never fought Succubus at Wrath of the Flame quests.

AestorTheKnight
10-01-2010, 05:27 PM

Therigar - while I am not opposed to cool and or funny Cosmetic Clothing options, I hope that such Cosmetic Items would be delivered in addition to actual proper Appearance Customisation options for Armours, Helmets and Shields.
That latter would be my priority, but if you would like to wear a suit and top hat, then sure I hope Turbine add that too!

And dont worry about the noobs, making negative comments. Your suggestions and ideas are welcome! :)

donfilibuster
10-01-2010, 06:13 PM
On some other thread i was noting there's so often people asking how to use /showhelmet off and that some armor looks bad on low graphics.
Personally i'd be happy to just have a helmet that looks like a helmet, without fancy horns/spikes/skulls/plumes/etc.

Now they have added two more cosmetic helmets, yet i keep donning a korthos helmet for lack of better looks.
If the store items are nice there's no reason plain models should hurt the sales, let alone having one in the store.

I agree armor would take more models but just changing the helmet is likely not enough to look different.
And the usual request is just to change color, not really asking for tabards/cloaks/capes/etc which may be harder to implement.

AyumiAmakusa
10-01-2010, 06:23 PM
I fully support this. Based on the amount of rubbish the sell in the store (Come on, +1 weapons??) they will have to sell something that will actually be able to bring in money, otherwise the game would go bankrupt. Since selling good loot in the store is forbidden (I will quit if they do, and the airship thing was getting close to that point), selling cosmetic gear is preferable.

/signed on every suggestion to add cosmetic gear into the game, from the store or otherwise.