PDA

View Full Version : Introduce Grapples

Raodin-bel-iori
07-18-2010, 09:02 PM
The thing I'd like to see the most in one of the next updates is adding grapple attacks. Making a grapple, with skill or strength checks to maintain it, escape one, and attack during one. Grappled mobs or characters would be held in place and unable to cast or attack unless a strength or concentration check were made. If the strength check were made the creature would gain control of the grapple and have the option of breaking it, attacking, ect. Spells that are verbal only could still be cast. Attacks would be at a slower rate than out of grapple, much like attacking while sneaking, since a full attack action can’t be taken in a grapple. Size bonuses would still apply so that foolish monks can't grapple well with giants or get swallowed by dragons when they try. The escape artist skill would be brought back into play for escaping from monsters who can grapple players, and it would allow for new monsters who are good at that such as assassin vines and tentacle beasts. It would also open up the way for new feats and enhancements for grappling such as ending a grapple with a throw that causes damage and leaves them prone.

I'd love to be able to grab a little wizard so that he can't cast sleet storm on my party and knock his block off or even grab a minotaur shaman and take a few hits to keep him from fire balling the party. Or if you're really feeling daring, getting grabbed and thrown across the room by a giant so that he can't stomp on your party.

Angelus_dead
07-18-2010, 09:24 PM
It would have been a good idea to add Grappling into DDO when it was created, using a fixed version of the D&D rules (which would include nerfing FOM), but it seems a lot too late for them to make such a big change now.

What would be especially cool is if certain large creatures (like Red Dragons and Mariliths) had the ability to grab player characters and lift them up into the air. The grabbed player would still be able to attack, block, and maybe even cast spells, but he wouldn't be able to move away until passing an opposed str/dex roll. (Naturally the monster would continue to hit you with melee attacks during this time, and from a Marilith those can be especially dangerous)

MyersVandalay
07-18-2010, 09:31 PM
It would have been a good idea to add Grappling into DDO when it was created, using a fixed version of the D&D rules (which would include nerfing FOM), but it seems a lot too late for them to make such a big change now.

What would be especially cool is if certain large creatures (like Red Dragons and Mariliths) had the ability to grab player characters and lift them up into the air. The grabbed player would still be able to attack, block, and maybe even cast spells, but he wouldn't be able to move away until passing an opposed str/dex roll. (Naturally the monster would continue to hit you with melee attacks during this time, and from a Marilith those can be especially dangerous)

Not to mention swallow whole abilities for dragons and such would be pretty darn cool

TheDjinnFor
07-18-2010, 09:44 PM
A monster-wide integration of grapple attacks, from the lowliest monstrous spiders to the mightiest of dragons, would be an interesting and exciting dynamic that would breathe new life into the fairly stale combat system, but I agree with A_D in that it's a little too late for that.

Raodin-bel-iori
07-18-2010, 09:48 PM
This would take some time to develop but it would be possible around update 7,8, or 9. I don't know the ins and outs of programming myself, but I just think it'd give the game some extra panash. :)

jhorn02
07-18-2010, 09:58 PM
/signed

Might take some dev work, but would add a substantial new dimension to the game.

Raodin-bel-iori
08-03-2010, 11:41 AM
Okay, in reading some of the info going into update 6 I don't see why introducing grapples or even disarm techniques should be that difficult. If they're able to add underwater fighting (for which everyone will now need underwater action items) adding stuff like grapples, swallow whole, disarms, ect, shouldn't be all that difficult either, and it would make the game wayyyy more fun to play since battles would be more than just face the right direction and swing or shoot a whole lot.

EKKM
08-03-2010, 12:05 PM
Sort of OT but:

part 1: http://www.darthsanddroids.net/episodes/0232.html

part 2: http://www.darthsanddroids.net/episodes/0233.html

and unreated to that scene but still funny: http://www.darthsanddroids.net/episodes/0344.html

krud
08-03-2010, 12:17 PM
A new use for the shadow-hump animation!

Angelus_dead
08-03-2010, 01:51 PM
This would take some time to develop but it would be possible around update 7,8, or 9. I don't know the ins and outs of programming myself, but I just think it'd give the game some extra panash. :)
The situation is that DDO has huge problems in the balance of fundamental combat aspects such as S&B, ranged weapons, and damage spells. The developers aren't remotely to the point where they'd have time to work on something as comparatively low-priority as a new grappling system.

(Especially since Grappling would take a lot of effort, what with all the new animations for many kinds of monsters, increased network coupling, and the brokenness of 3.5's FOM)

Kinerd
08-03-2010, 02:06 PM
I often find myself frustrated with the physics checks on weapon attacks that decide whether I'm close enough to get a to-hit roll. I think a system that had to do the same with (presumably shorter) unarmed reach would be very frustrating in dynamic combat situations.

h4x0r1f1c
08-03-2010, 05:47 PM
I want grapples.

Raodin-bel-iori
08-09-2010, 08:45 PM
The situation is that DDO has huge problems in the balance of fundamental combat aspects such as S&B, ranged weapons, and damage spells. The developers aren't remotely to the point where they'd have time to work on something as comparatively low-priority as a new grappling system.

(Especially since Grappling would take a lot of effort, what with all the new animations for many kinds of monsters, increased network coupling, and the brokenness of 3.5's FOM)

It is true that it would be tough and take a lot of effort, but I see it as in now way a low priority. The whole point of updates is to make the game more fun to play. Adding quests and fixing bugs is nice and all, but time spent making the game more interesting, challenging, and fun to play is in my book well spent. I do concede thought that they would have to be careful with the balance, making them effective enough to be useful but not so much that it becomes the primary mode of combat and replaces the general mish-mash of things.

NaturalHazard
08-09-2010, 08:57 PM
lol the monsters can shoot you, cast spells, death rays, and attack you through the walls ect,I would love to see grapples added but not if it means that your going to get trapped grappled by something on the other side of 8 feet of solid rock. Also a question on the P&P rules of grapple can you use dex as well as str as a check vs grapple as well as a grapple attempt? I dont know in rl dexterity and flexibility is just as important if not more than brute strength when it comes to wrestling, in fact in all forms of fighting. I know people who are much much more stronger than me but i can beat them in grappling or striking, where there are smaller, weaker guys who just waste me.

Aesop
08-09-2010, 09:18 PM
I would love some grappling... it would be difficult though... and hard to balance...

lets clean up other combat first then consider that

Aesop

Cylinwolf
08-10-2010, 04:29 PM
Okay, in reading some of the info going into update 6 I don't see why introducing grapples or even disarm techniques should be that difficult. If they're able to add underwater fighting (for which everyone will now need underwater action items) adding stuff like grapples, swallow whole, disarms, ect, shouldn't be all that difficult either, and it would make the game wayyyy more fun to play since battles would be more than just face the right direction and swing or shoot a whole lot.

You might want to look into how they implemented the quest with underwater fighting on Lamannia before using that as an argument.

On topic, wouldn't grapples kill the point of having AC on a monk, monk-splash, or dex chracter?