PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for Caster Fleshies (Drow in particular) at End Game

Cholera
07-15-2010, 01:35 PM
Hmm, Drow or Suggestions, Drow or Suggestions… Suggestions it is.

Drow (and other fleshies) are in need of some serious consideration from the dev team for end game content. The ability of WF to self heal is an astounding advantage for a HP challenged classes like Wizards and Sorcerers at end game – particularly as DC geared spells are largely confounded by epic resistances and immunities. My Drow wizard, for example, is spec’d for high DC, not damage (although he has a reasonable capacity for it). Thus, even with a relatively passable UMD score, the ratio between his ability to deal out damage and absorb the incoming hits (324 hp) is wanting – even with about a 60% - 75% heal scroll success rate (depending on what’s equipped at the time).

While I was mulling this over, and considering the speed at which WF casters are able to repair (by cycling through the different levels of spells and perhaps scrolls) something I found curious is the fact that while cure spells work for half on WF, repair spells do absolutely nothing for fleshies. This seems a little odd to me – but I’m sure there are those that would disagree.

Another issue to address here: Is it not the implication that Drow are a more powerful race (by virtue of their status as locked content at the 400 favor pt requirement) than the others? The answer, in terms of functionality, is an unequivocal no. WF are indeed the master race for casters as far as end game content goes. There is no room for debate on this one (imho), as mentioned above, a Drow's (and, of course, other fleshie caster's) survivability simply does not compare to the WF's speed at self HP replenishing. While I’m sure these complaints and observations have been made before I’d like to offer a suggestion or two for improvements.

First, foremost and most obvious with Drow: Spell Resistance; It ought to be implemented as per the pnp rules. We’re all familiar with this one, so enough said.

Second: Seeing as Elves and Drow seem to be inherently magical races, perhaps a unique skill enhancement line of UMD to a maximum of 3 extra points. Suggested min level: 12 or so for the first tier.

Third: Much in the same way WF have access to the healer’s friend line, maybe an enhancement line for casters that accords them the same level of benefit from repair spells. Min level 2 for first tier?

Fourth: A feat that shifts UMD from charisma to intelligence for wizards. After all, if any class was ever suited to the notion of being trained in the use of magical items it would be wizards. However, this may simply fall to far outside the original rule set to even be considered by some.

Disclaimer: This is not a WF bash. I’m leveling a couple of WF casters right now. They’re fun and extraordinarily durable. And yes, I am biased in this issue – I have three Drow casters and while WF did endure a great deal of discrimination in the early days (yes, they did – playing a WF melee during beta was pure hell in terms of finding a group – particularly after head-start as none of the new players had any idea who anyone was) they now enjoy some excellent advantages over all the other races. So much so that even the minor changes I suggest above would not dislodge them as the most survivable race for casters at end game. It, I believe, would simply allow Drow casters (and others) a bit more wiggle room when trying to keep up.

Anyway, feedback on ideas is always welcome but let’s try to keep it constructive. These are not offered with a “DO IT NOW” sentiment but rather in a “whatcha think?” and “if not these, what else?” sort of manner.

Thanks for reading and GL in the game.

C.

ssgcmwatson
07-15-2010, 03:01 PM
I love the idea of the feat that would allow Wizzies to use intelligence for their UMD modifier. I certainly fits in thematically with things like insightful reflexes.

Bradik_Losdar
07-15-2010, 04:08 PM
I love the idea of the feat that would allow Wizzies to use intelligence for their UMD modifier. I certainly fits in thematically with things like insightful reflexes.

/signed like a million times over!!

Phidius
07-15-2010, 04:18 PM
First, foremost and most obvious with Drow: Spell Resistance; It ought to be implemented as per the pnp rules. We’re all familiar with this one, so enough said.

Actually, I'm not familiar with Drow in PnP... but I agree that the Spell Resistance enhancement line isn't worth the AP.

Especially if you're getting your UMD high enough to cast Mass Spell Resistance from scrolls...

Regarding healing, isn't that what the Pale Master line is for? Getting the ability to heal yourself while keeping the DC advantages of higher int and wizard capstone? Getting a +2 int while in lich form fits in real nice with a DC-focused caster build.

Rakian_Knight
07-15-2010, 05:25 PM
Actually, I'm not familiar with Drow in PnP... but I agree that the Spell Resistance enhancement line isn't worth the AP.

Let me find my 3.5 Monster Manuel....

Drow get SR = 11+class level basically having a permanent Spell Resistance cast on you that I believe might be enough of a bonus for the race to equal it out to Warforged and other races for classes besides Cleric/Favored Soul and Wizard/Sorcerer.

Regarding healing, isn't that what the Pale Master line is for? Getting the ability to heal yourself while keeping the DC advantages of higher int and wizard capstone? Getting a +2 int while in lich form fits in real nice with a DC-focused caster build.

Not even close.

1st: Pale Master isn't focused on self healing, its about the Necromancy School of magic that is focused on debuffing and instant death spells.

2nd: The Pale Master healing isn't even close to Warforged. In order to heal yourself as a Pale Master you have to give up every other form of healing for undead immunites and +2 int. +1 DC or 25% Incorperal and if someone desides to cast a mass deathward while your in Lich or Wraith form YOU ARE SCREWED!