PDA

View Full Version : Torches, torches, torches.

quantum0d0
07-14-2010, 10:12 PM
I understand there are everbright crystals in Eberron that have largely replaced torches. Still, the occasional ceremonial torch can be seen lighting a vampire's tomb here and there, just for aesthetics I guess.

Well, I wanna snatch one down and smash that vampire right in his mouth with one!

I want torches. I want to carry them. I want to wave them at things like Aragorn in LotR. I want to throw them like he did, too. And, considering fire spells now set the Grease spell on fire, I want to set it on fire with a torch, as well.

Thanks for listening. :)

quantum0d0
07-14-2010, 10:16 PM
I want the guy throwing the torch to be my Half-Orc Druid/Rogue who just jumped out the window of a randomly laid-out, furnished, and populated house he broke into, searching for a few coppers because his father was the head of the Druid Grove and he's just spoiled like that.

I want him to be throwing them at the fearsome City Guards who are rabidly pursuing him across the rooftops - perhaps until he can make it to an area ruled by the Thieves' Guilds, where, having failed in his thievery, he will go ahead do one of those League Pitfights he does for extra coin.

KKDragonLord
07-14-2010, 10:17 PM
I understand there are everbright crystals in Eberron that have largely replaced torches. Still, the occasional ceremonial torch can be seen lighting a vampire's tomb here and there, just for aesthetics I guess.

Well, I wanna snatch one down and smash that vampire right in his mouth with one!

I want torches. I want to carry them. I want to wave them at things like Aragorn in LotR. I want to throw them like he did, too. And, considering fire spells now set the Grease spell on fire, I want to set it on fire with a torch, as well.

Thanks for listening. :)

Undead see in the dark, they dont care much for light

Everbright Torches burn forever so people dont have to replace them, but they dont produce enough heat to burn anything.

MrCow
07-14-2010, 10:18 PM
You may be interested in something that Landscape Developer Keeper wrote about Virtual Lights (http://my.ddo.com/keeper/2010/05/04/virtual-lights/).

quantum0d0
07-15-2010, 01:46 AM
Thx for that very excellent reply.

I'm a 3D modeller myself. It's true lighting is a big deal. Still, I think there are some workarounds for this, maybe.

We could have torches that don't work as light emitters (just for fighting with, or setting things on fire) and then in special quests like Rainbow in the Dark, the torches have no other light sources to interfere with. Since there are six party members max = 6 torches, no light problem. I mean, Wall of Fire doesn't emit light, and it's made of fire.

I don't know specifically what limitations the dev's are dealing with so I don't know if that works, really, or not. I can certainly see why if it's a big hassle to do, then it's not worth the effort, since it would be a mostly aesthetic touch, like the weather was.

However, I do think those tiny touches make a lot of difference in realism and immersion. Everybody's been thrilled with day and night and the weather. I think torches (and lanterns, and burning flasks of oil) would be a similar hit. (Did I mention flaming arrows? Not the magic kind?)

h4x0r1f1c
07-15-2010, 10:22 AM
I want this game to be like Elder Scrolls Online but keep the same character build setup.

KKDragonLord
07-15-2010, 11:21 AM
I want this game to be like Elder Scrolls Online but keep the same character build setup.

Well, this game is not going to be like Oblivion.

This is a 4 year old MMO

Only the next gen MMOs that are still being made will have complex lighting effects (Mortal Online, Guild Wars 2 maybe, etc...)

You can ask for a next gen DDO 2 with that, but event then i wouldn't hope too much until Cloud gaming became popular.

Ormindo
07-15-2010, 11:42 AM
Ever used the Eternal wand of Finger of Fire in a dark dungeon ? Don't tell me torches are totally impossible...

KKDragonLord
07-15-2010, 12:23 PM
Ever used the Eternal wand of Finger of Fire in a dark dungeon ? Don't tell me torches are totally impossible...

Impossible? Hardly.

Extremely resource consuming to make an appropriate effect other than a bright yellow light that saturates all the textures it goes through? Yes. Especially because when you mess with light, you mess with shadows, which are the Most resource intense effect to reproduce realistically in a 3D environment.

You are not looking at the big picture.

Chai
07-15-2010, 12:37 PM
Forget about torches. Lets get some real classic D&D adventuring equipment up in here.

Where's my 10 foot pole at? There is no better way to find traps at low level, believe me.

I also need 100 feet of rope, a hammer, and some spikes.

I reached for betty lou, she was the one you know, my bill-bec-de-bardiche-glaive-guisarme-halbred-pole ax-fauchard-lochaber-guandao. /belch.

Teldurn
07-15-2010, 01:52 PM
Standard adventuring gear:

Backpack, covered with a sheet of tarp, if available.
2 weeks' worth of trail rations
A bedroll
100 feet of solid hempen rope
A 10' wooden pole
Spare change of clothes
A waterskin
2 flasks of oil
Flint and tinder
Ball of string
Hammer (with one side a serrated pick for ice climbing) and pitons
Small (4-inch) food knife
2 torches (optional: sharpen the ends to double as fiery stakes)
A small iron pot
A small kettle (if you can spare the room)
Belt with pouches (to store things like powdered chalk, cloves of garlic, etc.)

Did I miss anything?

KKDragonLord
07-15-2010, 01:56 PM
Standard adventuring gear:

Backpack, covered with a sheet of tarp, if available.
2 weeks' worth of trail rations
A bedroll
100 feet of solid hempen rope
A 10' wooden pole
Spare change of clothes
A waterskin
2 flasks of oil
Flint and tinder
Ball of string
Hammer (with one side a serrated pick for ice climbing) and pitons
Small (4-inch) food knife
2 torches (optional: sharpen the ends to double as fiery stakes)
A small iron pot
A small kettle (if you can spare the room)
Belt with pouches (to store things like powdered chalk, cloves of garlic, etc.)

Did I miss anything?

A tent for rainy days
A shovel
Grappling Hook
Paper and Ink (expensive i know but messages and notes are important)
A scroll case
A common lamp
And i would take no less than 10 torches as they burn up quick.
Sturdy bags (to carry loot and stuff)
Winter clothes and Blanket if you really intend to be an Ice climber.
20 Pitons are important for people who dont have at least +10 climbing skill

Oh and OFC just the most Useful survival tool of All. A Knife.

Teldurn
07-15-2010, 02:25 PM
A tent for rainy days
A shovel
Grappling Hook
Paper and Ink (expensive i know but messages and notes are important)
A scroll case
A common lamp
And i would take no less than 10 torches as they burn up quick.
Sturdy bags (to carry loot and stuff)
Winter clothes and Blanket if you really intend to be an Ice climber.
20 Pitons are important for people who dont have at least +10 climbing skill

Oh and OFC just the most Useful survival tool of All. A Knife.
Great additions! I can't believe I forgot about them. I would also add that the rogue be carrying a set of thieves tools.

But bringing the thread back on topic, I think torches would be fantastic. I first had that thought when going through Misery's Peak for the first time. As you make your way along the walls of the large room, there is a slope in an area in near-total darkness. I had to stop up short the first time and curse my luck for not having found any torches by that point. (I presumed the dark ledge was an empty chasm and jumped across.)

Only later, I found that: 1. DDO doesn't have torches or even the Light spell, and 2. That darkness is a solid incline.

quantum0d0
07-16-2010, 04:42 PM
You guys got me choked up with the basic adventuring equipment . . . Ah, memories.

Grappling hooks was another thing I was disappointed not to see in use - and Rogues' climbing walls, in general . . .

This game is FANTASTIC. It's so fantastic, that the last few little things they need to make it truly D&D in a video game are almost maddening.

Horses and other steeds
Druids
Adventuring Equipment (Including Torches, Lanterns, Flaming Oil)
Picking Pockets
Thieves' Guilds
City Guards - Laws, jails, bounty hunters
Climbing Walls
Going Anwhere, entering any building
Random Dungeons here and there to stumble upon
Wandering Monsters
Quite a few spells that aren't here - I want to FLY!
Infravision
Ranger Tracking

I'm in agreement with others who have said 4th Edition stinks, though. It's tragic - wanting lots of cool 'old' things, yet fearing a bunch of crappy new ones.

When the Tiefling and Plane-Touched show up, I'm afraid I'm out. I'm so old school I can barely stand Drow PCs. Too unbalanced. (Strangely, Warforged do not bother me. I think they're balanced okay, and they're very Eberron, which is a COOL setting. Go figure.)

Alabore
07-16-2010, 06:44 PM
When the Tiefling and Plane-Touched show up, I'm afraid I'm out. I'm so old school I can barely stand Drow PCs. Too unbalanced. (Strangely, Warforged do not bother me. I think they're balanced okay, and they're very Eberron, which is a COOL setting. Go figure.)
Oh, memories...

Initially I felt the same about drows - being raised to SSI's *old* school of Curse of the Azure Bonds, drows have always been THE enemy, back when Spell Resistance stopped direct-damage spells too, and even the lowliest drow warrior had 50% chance of weathering a 5d6 fireball without even breaking a sweat.

:)

KKDragonLord
07-17-2010, 09:18 PM
You guys got me choked up with the basic adventuring equipment . . . Ah, memories.

Grappling hooks was another thing I was disappointed not to see in use - and Rogues' climbing walls, in general . . .

This game is FANTASTIC. It's so fantastic, that the last few little things they need to make it truly D&D in a video game are almost maddening.

Horses and other steeds
Druids
Adventuring Equipment (Including Torches, Lanterns, Flaming Oil)
Picking Pockets
Thieves' Guilds
City Guards - Laws, jails, bounty hunters
Climbing Walls
Going Anwhere, entering any building
Random Dungeons here and there to stumble upon
Wandering Monsters
Quite a few spells that aren't here - I want to FLY!
Infravision
Ranger Tracking

I'm in agreement with others who have said 4th Edition stinks, though. It's tragic - wanting lots of cool 'old' things, yet fearing a bunch of crappy new ones.

OMG... you have absolutely no idea how much each and every one of those suggestions would require work to change the game completely.

1st This is an MMO, its not like a closed game such as Oblivion or the like, there are things that just dont work in games like this.

2nd This is a Computer Game, it has limits you know?!