PDA

View Full Version : New Player - Path of Harmonious Light questions

Nephylim3
07-12-2010, 06:17 PM
So, new to DDO, been here 5 days at most. I'm trying to figure some things out. Hopefully someone can help me out here.

1) Does the positive ki strike healing EVER get better than a paultry 1-2? Reading the boards, unless there is some massive healing amplification, it seems it's completely fixed be it level 3 monk or a level 20. If so, that's a huge setback to scaling it effectively.

2) For a small group of 3, would a dark path monk be a more viable option? Im running with a Pure fighter and a Ranger/rogue AA.

3) Is rise of the phoenix worth taking ... ever? Cant a UMD wand do this as well? O_o

WielderofGigantus
07-12-2010, 06:34 PM
1. Nope, never gets better. While I don't have personal experience with the healing amplification, I imagine that it can increase it by quite a bit. Add in the fact that your attack speed increases at higher levels, and add in the extra attacks from two-weapon fighting, and you should be able to heal quite a bit at high levels.

2. If you go with overwhelming force, to wipe out the enemy before they can deal much damage to you, I don't see why not. Just be sure to bring potions of healing, along with the usual remove curse, disease, and lesser restoration potions.

3. Have you ever seen a Raise Dead wand before?

Crinos
07-13-2010, 03:22 AM
1. Nope, never gets better. While I don't have personal experience with the healing amplification, I imagine that it can increase it by quite a bit. Add in the fact that your attack speed increases at higher levels, and add in the extra attacks from two-weapon fighting, and you should be able to heal quite a bit at high levels.
Healing amp does help as you suggest, but it rounds down, so you need at least 150% to see 1s and 3s and 200% to see 2s and 4s. This kind of healing amp is achievable on a monk though.

3. Have you ever seen a Raise Dead wand before?
No, but raise scroll are easy to come by and raise clicky items can be crafted in the Shroud, as well as appearing on some static loot.

Jamma
07-13-2010, 09:28 AM
So, new to DDO, been here 5 days at most. I'm trying to figure some things out. Hopefully someone can help me out here.

1) Does the positive ki strike healing EVER get better than a paultry 1-2? Reading the boards, unless there is some massive healing amplification, it seems it's completely fixed be it level 3 monk or a level 20. If so, that's a huge setback to scaling it effectively.
Its easy to get this to 2/4 if human, if another race, you'd have to invest some serious gear to obtain it. But you've noticed one of the major design flaws of light path monks, utter non-scalability of their abilities. What you get at Level 3, is what you'll have at level 20 (with the exception of the Healing Ki finisher, which increases 1d4 every 2 levels.
2) For a small group of 3, would a dark path monk be a more viable option? Im running with a Pure fighter and a Ranger/rogue AA.
I'd go pure WF party, and come as a sorc.

3) Is rise of the phoenix worth taking ... ever? Cant a UMD wand do this as well? O_o
Don't die. Seriously, its a huge expenditure of AP. You have to get all 4 prerequisite items (lesser restoration, remove blindness, remove disease and remove curse) as well as the pricey raise dead itself, for a total of 12 AP. But some players do take it. Since its purely enhancement based, just take it and see if you like it, in lieu of other things those AP's might get you. Enhancements are pretty easy to change out. Its the feats that screw everything up. Another thing is that its a pretty crappy raise. I think you come back with very few hp. Monks are one of the most survivable dungeon crawlers in Eberron. Its usually just as easy to pick up the stones and carry them back to the rez shrine. Also, RotP costs a vast amount of Ki (50). Coming up with that in a post combat situation pre-20 could be problematic.

I addressed 1) and 3). I have no real input on your three man party.

Jasam01
07-13-2010, 09:51 AM
On question 2, there is always the 3rd option to cosnider.

Begin as a Light Side monk to aid your party via extra healing, then as it's usefulness tapers off, switch to a dark side monk at an aproprate level with your free feat swap (Suggested 9 as thats when you get ToD and the Dark side monk gets a HUGE DPS boost as a result. Also possible is at 6-7 if you intend to take ninja spy)

Nephylim3
07-13-2010, 10:54 AM
Much thanks for the responses. Disheartening to see that the scalability of stuff remains static. I had hoped they would at the very least give high end monks a rather interesting twists of effects and such for pursuing the class.

The group situation is modified, so I wont need to worry about that. Dark monk it will be.

The UMD scrolls are what I meant, not wands. It makes the ability itself near worthless if you have any relevant UMD stuff, in which case I actually do lol.

Audita_Querela
07-13-2010, 10:57 AM
FWIW - just from a practical side - if I've hit a monster with fist of light and am in wind stance, assuming he's not going to die right off, I can leech 15-20 hp and take half of that (or less) in a 1v1 situation.

LAWPRE
07-13-2010, 02:58 PM
I would like to add to what Audita stated. I spam FoL all the time. I was at 1/2 of HP before taking on BloodKnuckles (Ringleader boss). I was a FULL HP before he died. The big idea here is how much plat do you want to put down for pots and scrolls of healing. If you do not mind doing this, take Dark. Otherwise, take light and get healing amps or take light until it severely lessens in usefulness.

t0r012
07-13-2010, 03:21 PM
id also like to point out healing does in a way 'get better' at higher levels. Stunning handwraps and stunning fist with high hitpoint mobs mean lots and lots of free healing if you can get them off on their own.
At lower levels the mobs die so fast that the healing seems bad but as you start stunning mobs with more HP it works better.

another trick i have learned is to keep a set of plain jane handwraps on my hot bar. this lets the weak hp mobs provide more punches and thus more healing for me / party.

another side note many of the big breakables like crates in freshen the air and stormcleve are ables to get the healing curse dropped on them drop to the normal wraps and walk down the line FoLing them for your party members to heal off , stop at the lat one and top yourself off.