PDA

View Full Version : Preparing for Shroud

Arsont
07-08-2010, 09:48 PM
Greetings.

I've recently begun running through the Twilight Vale, and getting into some Icy runs to familiarize myself with higher level group mechanics. However, I'm still a bit unsure of my ability to actually help in a raid (The Shroud, namely). I'm a 17 drow monk, with only 285 hp (Only a +2 Con item...I don't have Minos, so my belt is my heavy fort item AND my con item. Not working well) with 46 standing AC in Wind stance. I do not yet have any vorpal kamas (For mobs), metalline of PG wraps, or anything else of that nature to bypass the 15good/15silver DR that a dps'er should be able to pass. Simply put, I'm feeling pretty gimp.

So, two questions. First: Is it possible to overcome the DR with a PG kama in one hand and a silver in the other (I read that DR doesn't stack, so it's either pass both or just forget it)? Second: I've come across several guides, and most say a decent tank needs 300+ hp and 50+ AC (Which I can get if buffed, but that can be dispelled). So, I'm hesitant to be a main tank, but will if I need to. What advice is there to improve myself?

Thanks to anyone who helps in advance.

Symar-FangofLloth
07-08-2010, 10:09 PM
Then don't tank.
Only a couple mobs need to be 'tanked' in there at all, and since you have 12 people to choose from, no worries.

Your HP is low, but once you get better gear, you'll do alright. A Shroud HP item is +45 HP.

No, you can't split kamas like that to pass DR. Aside from the boss, though, the only DR in there is DR/Good, which everyone should be able to bypass. (Well, I suppose there is DR/Adamantine if the Earth Elemental is up, granting Stoneskin to his allies.)
The boss is a pit fiend, as has DR/Silver+Good. But it's only like 10 DR on Normal, just use the best weapon you have. It's on Hard/Elite you really, really need a weapon to bypass it.

Best advice; join a group,l let them know you're new, and run it a few times to get familiar. Then you 'll know what you need to do to perform better. Since it's run over-level, if you can't pull your full weight the first time it'll most likely be no issue.

k1ngp1n
07-08-2010, 10:12 PM
Greetings.

I've recently begun running through the Twilight Vale, and getting into some Icy runs to familiarize myself with higher level group mechanics. However, I'm still a bit unsure of my ability to actually help in a raid (The Shroud, namely). I'm a 17 drow monk, with only 285 hp (Only a +2 Con item...I don't have Minos, so my belt is my heavy fort item AND my con item. Not working well) with 46 standing AC in Wind stance. I do not yet have any vorpal kamas (For mobs), metalline of PG wraps, or anything else of that nature to bypass the 15good/15silver DR that a dps'er should be able to pass. Simply put, I'm feeling pretty gimp.

So, two questions. First: Is it possible to overcome the DR with a PG kama in one hand and a silver in the other (I read that DR doesn't stack, so it's either pass both or just forget it)?

No, unfortunately. Each weapon's DR is independent.

Second: I've come across several guides, and most say a decent tank needs 300+ hp and 50+ AC (Which I can get if buffed, but that can be dispelled). So, I'm hesitant to be a main tank, but will if I need to. What advice is there to improve myself?

300 Hp is considered by many to be the minimal requirement for a melee in the Shroud. Personally I think that's a bit low and put it at 350. Harry's damage output can rapidly overwhelm less than that between mass heal ticks when he throws meteor swarm. Before you step into the Shroud, get a +6 Con item, and make sure to keep that Heavy Fort. This should be your first priority in game right now, IMO. Main tanks (as in the dude with intim, shield blocking and holding aggro) will have 500+. Almost all will have more.

Thanks to anyone who helps in advance.

Comments in red. Drow are a difficult race to make into a monk. Getting your HP up should be a top priority. They may be expensive, but get a +6 con item and a GFL item ASAP. If you can't afford the AH prices, post in your server's marketplace forums with what you have to trade. A lot of players will trade those items a relatively lower costs. You should worry about DR bypass later - a dead monk can't hit anything anyway. Your AC won't help much in the coming areas much either, so you'll need to work carefully on your aggro control and positioning: learn which mobs cleave and maneuver to their rear as much as possible.

Arsont
07-09-2010, 04:28 AM
Well, got into my first SoS run today, so I got my Dragontouched (Which means I can now wear my Chaosgarde again. 47 AC. Still meh, but good enough for soloing stuff). Hopefully I can get something decent (I'll be farming out there for a while, or at least until I can get a better con item. Best case? Getting heavy fort AND +6 con on my outfit. Doubt it though) before I decide to run Shroud. Also, picked up a Portable Hole and +2 Str tome (Neither of which I can use). Sold the tome on the AH for a decent amount, and now have enough to get a set of vorpals (No where near enough for Metalline of PG wraps/kama/QS. Cheapest pair on Sarlona is currently 2mil plat). Provided all goes well for a while, I should be able to find a better con item in a while.

Thanks for the advice so far.

mjrepro
07-09-2010, 06:34 AM
Start trying to get some runs of Shadow Crypt in. That is where you will get your handwraps from, the Devouts, that are Mett/PG. Easiest way to get the items.

And just an echo of those before me, put off tanking of any nature at the moment. Once you get in Amarath, the mobs laugh at an AC in the 40's and easily bypass one in the 50's.

Get that Con 6 item, more health = more time to live, a must if you are a front line fighter.

Finally, look what you want to loot when making your Dragontouched. Do not plan for the now with that item, or else you will pass over good inscriptions just because it is not the one you want right now. The Con you will find on almost any belt from Amarath along with the monk necklaces from ToD and the quests out there also. You will then find Wisdom 6 on the rings that you are going to go for as a monk, so plan those into what you want on the Dragontouched.

I know that most who preach use of the Minos over the MinII helm would then say to make your dragontouch something like the following:
Insight +4 AC
Protection +5 AC
Resistance +5 to saves
for the third -> first level. What this does is provide the most armour that you can find on an outfit and will then replace your Icy. And do not be so ready to abandon ship to your DT just yet, unless you actually do have it set up for being better.

Finally, just back to the HP. Start looking at ways that you can get over 400 HP if possible. Whether it is through dropping useless feats for toughness or getting all the items you can. (If you make a MIN II item for +45 hp, then wear the minos for +20 hp and then get Vornes belt or the other GFL out of Amarath for +30 hp that is another +95 hp on top of the extra toughnesses for +22-+44 hp depending on if you take one or two putting you over 400 in the end).

But those are the goals that I would set for yourself.

Darkrok
07-09-2010, 09:59 AM
Just echoing what was said before - hp's should be a priority.

Minos is +20
A greater false life item is +30 (if I'm reading correctly and you don't have any false life yet). This can come on a DT item until you get a better slot for it.
A +6 con item would be +34 for you (17 x 2 for the jump of 4 points in con)

That's all you're reasonably going to be able to get gear-wise until you start running shrouds. But just those upgrades takes you from 285hp's (dead) to 369hp's (most likely still standing). It all hinges on the Minos though. Minos frees up the belt where you can get either the +6 con or the greater false life. Then you can get a ring or something else with +6 con. At level 17 you're 4 levels past the point where +6 con first shows up on non-race restricted gear. That opens up two tiers of items (15 and 17) that will likely be affordable on the AH...stuff like a +6con/+5swim ring or some other junk skill on it. The level 13 'clean' items (ie just +6 con) might be out of your price range but if you limit your search to level 15 and 17 items you'll find some good deals.

As was also mentioned, it might be worth dumping a feat or two that you don't really need in favor of extra Toughness feats. I recently did that on my human monk using a LR (to fix him post-U5) and was able to go from 437hp's to 481hp's without changing any gear (I have Minos, Greater False Life, +6 con, +45 hp greensteel cloak, starting con of 16, and a +2 con tome). I could actually have gotten to 503 in wind stance if I hadn't taken a feat to qualify for Shintao (which I would HIGHLY recommend avoiding...just not worth it). You may not push the hp's that high but 369 will keep you alive in the shroud and once you get a +45 hp greensteel item you'll be in the 400+ range that most people prefer.

Lastly, if you happen to be on Sarlona and want to try for the devout handwraps hit me up. Just send a message to Tajawuka or Ayrn. If I'm free I can help you farm it but even if I'm not I have a second account with an opener for Shadow Crypt. You should be able to easily solo it if you bring alone a decent level sorc/wizard hireling to lay down firewalls on the boss. It can be a long grind trying for devouts - I had 80 separate pulls (many of these from friends jumping into the quest to try and pull them for me) from the chest before I got mine - but the end result is an item that would cost you millions of plat and a lot of waiting to try and buy from someone else.

Vynnt
07-09-2010, 12:32 PM
Your AC isn't high enough for it to matter. With 50 ac, the trogs will sometimes miss you but everything else will still hit almost no fail. You are at the point in the game, where unless you have crazy AC, hp is what you need to focus on.

NXPlasmid
07-09-2010, 02:08 PM
get your necro runs in to get taps for the minos (very easy), no one solo tanks Harry, so you can get in there and whack him good, just stay at his tail and watch your hitpoints closely. If you can get shaddow crypt runs in as well for the devouts that would be very good as well, but until then, a good set of greater evil outsider bane handwraps will allow you to contribute against Harry. With a good set of stunning handwraps you should be able to use stunning fist effectively on most of the mobs so vopals aren't required. The most important thing you can do is be sure to run with an experienced group (if you can) and listen closely to the person running the raid, oh and have fun! T

sirgog
07-09-2010, 02:42 PM
The boss is a pit fiend, as has DR/Silver+Good. But it's only like 10 DR on Normal, just use the best weapon you have. It's on Hard/Elite you really, really need a weapon to bypass it.

The DR is 15.

Either use a weapon that breaks DR (difficult for a Monk), or use the best Greater Evil Outsider Bane or Greater Lawful Outsider Bane weapon you can find. (The Greater Banes add 14.5 average damage - almost exactly what you lose from DR).

Something like +2 Seeker 4 Handwraps of Greater Lawful Outsider Bane would set you back only a moderate amount of plat, but will serve you well - until you get something uber.

NXPlasmid
07-09-2010, 06:34 PM
[QUOTE=sirgog;3108360]
Something like +2 Seeker 4 Handwraps of Greater Lawful Outsider Bane [QUOTE]

Exactly. You might even get lucky and get a force or shock of GEOB. I use the latter for quite a while before I finally got my devouts...

Arsont
07-09-2010, 07:39 PM
Thanks everyone for the continued input.

There's just one problem: I don't have Necro, so no tap farming or farming for Devouts for me. Trust me, I'd love to still be able to do that.

As to some GEOB wraps, I only have 8k plat, and I have yet to see any decent wraps on the AH for it.

I have some decent stunning wraps, but I don't have stunning fist. I may switch out something for it, but I'm a bit feat starved as it is (To stay any amount of viable in combat, I can only afford to switch out Dodge), so I'm having to make do. Any further help is appreciated.