PDA

View Full Version : Splashing rogue for UMD: how does it work?

Xleniki
07-06-2010, 11:02 PM
One of the main reasons for splashing rogue is that it gives you access to UMD. I understand why this is useful. What I don't understand is how it works. The idea is that it gives you UMD as a class skill, correct? When leveling up in a non-rogue class after taking a level of rogue, how do you get this benefit? I have tried this, and I still seem to only get half a point per rank taken.

Thanks for the help.

Danifae
07-06-2010, 11:05 PM
You need to spend 2 ranks per level in the skill instead of 1, however you can now keep it maxed instead of 1/2 of what it would be.

Adalita
07-06-2010, 11:30 PM
There is a maximum number of ranks you can get in a skill. For a skill that is a class skill for any of your classes it is 23 (4 at creations and 1 each level). Note that if the skill isn't a class skill for the level you are taking then it will cost you 2 points per rank, but you can still get to 23 if you have enough points.

On the other hand if you don't have at least one level in a class that has the skill as a class skill you will only be able to get 12.5 ranks even if you have the points to spend.

So splashing Rogue is doubly useful, it allows you to (potentially) achieve max ranks in UMD, plus if you start with rogue at lvl 1 you would normally have enough skill points to take 4 full ranks to begin with.

Hopes this makes sense

Xleniki
07-07-2010, 09:04 AM
Ah, that does make sense. Thanks.