PDA

View Full Version : No Pugs

lagersjefen
07-05-2010, 03:54 AM
Hi all !

reincarnated and find myself at level 15 desperate for pugs for that level. Not may around. As I'm a member of a small guild, 5 casual players and me, the addict, its not looking good for airship either.

If I was a member of one of the larger guilds, would I find groups more easily ?

Yes, of course, I should post my own group, but not super experienced and cant lead, due to not using voice, often playing at night (wife aggro).

stormarcher
07-05-2010, 09:01 PM
Yes you would find more people to run with if you joined a larger guild.

When I type in "anyone want to run "x" I usually get around 4 people who want in

Cupcake
07-06-2010, 04:01 PM
Provided you are in a larger guild that responds to that question.

TrinityTurtle
07-07-2010, 02:19 PM
It's like everything else. In a larger guild, you obviously have the advantage of numbers and more players in your area range for more oppurtunity, but there are other considerations also, such as personality agreement/conflicts, playskills, goals. There are never guarantees, but I recommend if you having that much trouble talk to the bigger guilds and see what they are like, and if any of htem appeal to you. Because playing with people you don't enjoy being with on a regular basis isn't any better than starting your own pugs consistantly. :)

And I've pugged with people from all the main guilds, not just played with my own, so obviously no guild can boast a party of players in your level 24/7 wanting to do the quests you wanna work on. Everyone pugs sometimes.

Crazyfruit
07-07-2010, 07:32 PM
but not super experienced and cant lead, due to not using voice, often playing at night (wife aggro).

No one cares about that or even "needs" a leader.

(Well, some people do, but do you really want to group with them??)

Just grab a few people and have fun tackling a random dungeon, ideally one none of you have ever stepped foot in before :) In some of the larger guilds you'd still have to pug practically everything unless you've made some friends who love dungeoneering with ya.

lagersjefen
07-08-2010, 06:11 AM
thx for responses. The thing is that I don't want to "abandon" my casual buddies by joining a big guild. I was more curious; When I'm looking at LFG screen and seeing no groups at my level, 15, are there really a lot going on, guild exclusive, or is it just slow ?
(Playing in Europe, so on around midnight europe time)

TrinityTurtle
07-10-2010, 03:39 PM
thx for responses. The thing is that I don't want to "abandon" my casual buddies by joining a big guild. I was more curious; When I'm looking at LFG screen and seeing no groups at my level, 15, are there really a lot going on, guild exclusive, or is it just slow ?
(Playing in Europe, so on around midnight europe time)

I cant' speak for any guild other than my own, but level 10 is about the average time that our people stop posting/playing in pugs and start mostly guild grouping. There really is a lot going on in our guild at levels 15 and up, but very rarely do we have enough slots for all the guildies interested in the run, let alone puggers. People cry elitism all the time against the guilds, but really, you make freinds with your guildies, why would you play with random strangers when your friends want to play with you?

lagersjefen
07-11-2010, 04:31 AM
trinity !

They're casual, im less so, more hooked. When they play, I play with them. Thought that was obvious...
Its when they're not on and I want to play my level 16 Fighter, thats when I'm struggling.

Its getting better at 16 up, so consider thread over.

Just dreading the next reincarnation and levels 13-16, but this has been covered in thousands of threads...

kernal42
07-11-2010, 09:16 AM
Look at it this way:
If you TR and catch up with your friends, the XP penalty from the second life means you'll advance at the same rate as your more casual friends!

Cheers,
Kernal

unscythe
07-12-2010, 12:51 PM
(Well, some people do, but do you really want to group with them??)

You goup with me all the time before.. don't remember if you ever lead, or maybe I was leading.. wait you did lead once.

Arel
07-15-2010, 11:10 PM
The 14-16 range does seem to have a bit of a dip in PuGs. I figure it's because of the loss of F2P players (who might have purchased one or two lower-level packs), but with the 'grindy' content of Shroud and Reaver's another level or two away.

Try soloing a bit in Demon Sands or Gianthold while waiting for a LFM to be posted (or yours to be filled); a number of the walk-ups are relatively easy to solo/duo with cleric hireling depending on your class and build. Working on slayers or hunting for rare drops/relics isn't a bad idea either.

Khanyth
07-17-2010, 09:02 PM
I've spent 99.3% of my DDO time playing in PUG's.

Nothing wrong with PUG's, imho

Lanelle
07-19-2010, 03:14 PM

I do most of my playing with Pug's as well, but at level 15 (As a cleric no less) I still have to wait around a bit for a group, and I'm watching the LFM's constantly.

Perhaps I am just terrible and blacklisted? =)

LordMond
07-19-2010, 04:40 PM
I actually left Orien and moved to Kyber and Argo for a while because of this very problem- not being able to find groups for my level 10 to 14 toons (4 and counting now at this roadblock).

The problem was then that I was sort of stuck in the middle. The hardcore crowd had rolled their way to 20 and the more casual crowd seemed to be working on various builds and then discarding them by the time they were level 5 or so. End result was that there were simply no groups in the level range I needed no matter which character I played. I was not and still am not in a Guild (my guild on Orien broke up some time back), it is PuG, Solo or logout for me.

I've got to say that, in the couple weeks I have been back, it is at least slightly better than it was. I think the last Update brought many older players back and not a few new players joined. It sure weems like the population on Orien is higher than it was and, consequently, the grouping opportunities are more abundant.

My suggestion would be to check out the Orien Guilds Forum here and see if you can find a Guild that welcomes both hardcore and casual gamers (I'd think several would) and look among those to find one that has a good player base that shares your time zone. Send your friends the info and try to convince them to join up as well.

unscythe
07-19-2010, 04:46 PM

Have you pugged in Orien much? The quality of pugging has deteriotated alot. Feels as though your carrying some pikers to the end of quest after 10% exp loss.

Idk, maybe too many new players just dont care, and are unwilling to communicate because they might get found out. Or because they finally left korthos and now swarm a new playground called the harbor and the marketplace.

Somethign wrong has occured to orien's pugging scene and its very unfortunate.

unscythe
07-19-2010, 05:01 PM
I do most of my playing with Pug's as well, but at level 15 (As a cleric no less) I still have to wait around a bit for a group, and I'm watching the LFM's constantly.

If you are a healer and do the following you might be avioded due to:

Lack of healing
Dying alot
No crowd control if healing were not needed
Running off on your own with out any form of defending self

If your a combat cleric:
Dying alot
Not healing others

Or if you try to be both when you neither. <--- Thing I see the most.

But if your doing your job, then you will probably be blind invited many times over from the masses. Good luck.

Crazyfruit
07-19-2010, 05:04 PM

Are you -? :D

Bah! (Tell): <Player:IIDString:0x021A0000000AEFA9:Elevator>Elevator<\Player> tells you, 'bad sparkle u cant name drop on the forums'

I agree about the pugs tho siege. As someone who pugs most of the time they've definitely been getting worse. Having to take over as leader sometimes &/or getting mad at people who won't listen at all :( Of course I expected that as a virtuoso, but not -that- much

chrisgina39
07-20-2010, 02:09 AM
u can join my guild if u still need thief guild ask any in guild

Lanelle
07-20-2010, 08:05 AM

Lack of healing
Dying alot

If your a combat cleric:
Dying alot
Not healing others

But if your doing your job, then you will probably be blind invited many times over from the masses. Good luck.

I was joking about being blacklisted.

I do get blind invites, but as luck would go the majority of them are tells when I'm already in a group. The real issue for pugs for me is that you go to the grouping window and there are a grand total of 4 pugs for my level, 2 of them being places you have to be flagged for (I'm VIP, so can go anywhere that doesn't need flags).

Perhaps the grouping window isn't the place to find pugs?

Lanelle
07-20-2010, 08:06 AM
Are you -? :D

Bah! (Tell): <Player:IIDString:0x021A0000000AEFA9:Elevator>Elevator<\Player> tells you, 'bad sparkle u cant name drop on the forums'

I agree about the pugs tho siege. As someone who pugs most of the time they've definitely been getting worse. Having to take over as leader sometimes &/or getting mad at people who won't listen at all :( Of course I expected that as a virtuoso, but not -that- much

Nah, whenever I see a pug up and ask to join I get invited. it's the lack of pugs period. I don't know enough of the areas to lead.

Crann
07-20-2010, 08:08 AM
I've been finding some pretty good PUG's lately.

I don't know if its luck or a trend, but I have been leveling a bard (Hawkeye) from 7-11 in the past couples weeks between other toons, and have had some pretty good experiences compared to a few months ago when I began soloing pretty much exclusively (outside my static group) due to time constraints and real life distractions.

There have usually been a couple pikers here and there, but usually there was another player or two strong enough to make them not matter.

Lanelle
07-20-2010, 08:39 AM
I've been finding some pretty good PUG's lately.

I don't know if its luck or a trend, but I have been leveling a bard (Hawkeye) from 7-11 in the past couples weeks between other toons, and have had some pretty good experiences compared to a few months ago when I began soloing pretty much exclusively (outside my static group) due to time constraints and real life distractions.

There have usually been a couple pikers here and there, but usually there was another player or two strong enough to make them not matter.

I had great experiances finding groups in the 7-11 range. A bit harder to find a group in the 13+ range, but when I do I tend to get the most out of it. I think it is just that most at this level are grouping with guildies, and I seem to be in a guild that is doing stuff that requires you to be flagged.

Dalthas
07-20-2010, 09:04 AM
I've noticed that there are a lot of PUGs with a cutoff of level 14 and not so many that allow 15's, so I have not leveled to 15 yet. I am almost 16 now and I have to say, Giant Hold has been my best purchase so far. I'm hoping to start seeing more Vale PUG requests so that I can buy it =)

balancetraveller
07-20-2010, 10:41 PM
I've noticed that there are a lot of PUGs with a cutoff of level 14 and not so many that allow 15's, so I have not leveled to 15 yet. I am almost 16 now and I have to say, Giant Hold has been my best purchase so far. I'm hoping to start seeing more Vale PUG requests so that I can buy it =)

It's easier and funnier to run higher-end content with your guildies not PUGers... Too many m***ns in the PUGs :D

Khanyth
07-21-2010, 01:14 AM
Have you pugged in Orien much? The quality of pugging has deteriotated alot. Feels as though your carrying some pikers to the end of quest after 10% exp loss.

Idk, maybe too many new players just dont care, and are unwilling to communicate because they might get found out. Or because they finally left korthos and now swarm a new playground called the harbor and the marketplace.

Somethign wrong has occured to orien's pugging scene and its very unfortunate.

I've only ever played on Orien.

Again: imho, the PUGing is fine.

unscythe
07-21-2010, 09:33 AM
I've only ever played on Orien.

Again: imho, the PUGing is fine.

I have pugged across the severs, and understand that experienced/older servers have much better/experienced players compared to a new server. But, this server seems to not only lack the experience/knowledge, the new players lack common sense.

I pugged a tear of Dhakaan, the rogue goes off by himself and dies to some traps. The level 9 cleric goes off to help said rogue. Thats great, it was a trap and not a mob that killed the rogue, so the cleric should be fine. *ding* Looks like the cleric went into the trap instead of raising the rogue. So what no biggie, we have another cleric in the party. SO we rumble over to said elite fire traps, and I ask,"Can you ress?" to the last cleric. *ding* He rumbles in there after a rogue and a fellow cleric take the fire trap into the face. This is btw 10 minutes into the quest and at the first side entrance to tear of Dhakaan. Guess elite traps do hurt.

Come on... the rogue dies to traps aand non-evasion clerics think they can run in there to grab the stone? Like I am pretty sure that I as the over 200 hp barbarian did not want to run in there right away.

Experience is one thing, and thinking is another. Pugging quality has diminished severely since this server has started. Too many players think they know the game, I do not act like I know the game, and continue to learn.

Pugging is not fine if people are not thinking and cannot listen.

Khanyth
07-21-2010, 11:42 PM
"Fine" may have been the wrong word.

IMHO, with PUG's, you have to know what you're getting into and be willing to accept the fact that something can go horribly wrong.

I've been in lots of PUGs where the **** hit the fan hard because someone massively screwed up. I dropped and moved on.

It is what it is. PUGs are what they are. But one should never let the bad PUG bother them. For every bad PUG I've done on Orien, I've had at least 10 good ones.

Like in life, you just gotta take the good with the bad and move on.

SarKarNor
07-28-2010, 02:51 PM
Pug it out. Just post and when they join, tell them you are clueless. And if someone starts talking like they know it, pass the star LOL The worst thing that can happen is Death. I have learned a lot from the pugs on here, and learned some of the more hilarious DDO legends too.

unscythe
07-28-2010, 11:19 PM
Pug it out. Just post and when they join, tell them you are clueless. And if someone starts talking like they know it, pass the star LOL The worst thing that can happen is Death. I have learned a lot from the pugs on here, and learned some of the more hilarious DDO legends too.

That seems usefull.. probably better to state your clueless in the lfm. Not everyone that knows the quest wants to carry the pug through it.

I mean thats how people get to 20 and tr now. They join a pug group, die a few times, and basically pike for experience. So getting to 20 is no longer an achievement but a personal indicator of how long a person is willing to sit around or take the initiative.

wooshrow
08-04-2010, 11:40 AM
Hahaha now I know what people mean with "pug" :D

Well, I always pug! I like the surprises of new people. Running around with the same people over and over again seems like very boring. Hardcore players are sometimes annoying too. They are impatient, and like to show off how they know about everything. I don't play game to be told around what to do!

Yes, groups may fail, so what's the big deal about it?? We all have to learn from somewhere. You don't suddenly know the layout of Enemy Within, and all its traps, after just a couple of runs. From my experience, groups may fail, but they don't fail that often. Even then, you learn something, or have something to laugh at in the end. Some people just like to run off ahead of the party's rogue; nothing I can do about that. But sooner or later people learn.

Well then ... off to another pug party! I need to get my ranger to level 17 :D

unscythe
08-04-2010, 03:12 PM
Actually some players have some pretty good memory, and only takes a few runs to get the jist and layout of a quest. But those players are few and far apart.

Bloodstealer
08-05-2010, 07:28 PM

Lack of healing
Dying alot

If your a combat cleric:
Dying alot
Not healing others

Hehe well I have to second this post.

And if that cleric that was in my Elite Stormcleave a few days ago is reading this thread - then be warned - I can tolerate a noob for a while but one who has reached Lvl 9 and still seems hell bent running around wildy pinging his little arrows from that +2 lesser dwarf bane longbow instead of healing anyone.... please never, ever apply to any of my LFM's again. :)
And just for your info paladins aren't supposed to keep rushing to find you every time you shout heal me.... ur the healer class :) -

Dang you even had the audacity to write in caps in party chat - wooohoo I critted his *s* for 12 dmg...... FORGIVE ME FOR THINKING THERE IS DEFINATELY SOMETHING WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE !!!

unscythe
08-06-2010, 12:15 AM
Hehe well I have to second this post.

And if that cleric that was in my Elite Stormcleave a few days ago is reading this thread - then be warned - I can tolerate a noob for a while but one who has reached Lvl 9 and still seems hell bent running around wildy pinging his little arrows from that +2 lesser dwarf bane longbow instead of healing anyone.... please never, ever apply to any of my LFM's again. :)
And just for your info paladins aren't supposed to keep rushing to find you every time you shout heal me.... ur the healer class :) -

Dang you even had the audacity to write in caps in party chat - wooohoo I critted his *s* for 12 dmg...... FORGIVE ME FOR THINKING THERE IS DEFINATELY SOMETHING WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE !!!

Thanks, now that I re-read that post, I see alot of spelling errors. But hopefully the point got through. People that want to do damage and keep themselves alive should either learn to multitask a class that is superb at healing, or change classes/build.

LordMond
08-06-2010, 08:14 PM

What do you have against Battle Clerics?

Aside from the same thing about 97% of the rest of the game's population has against them of course.

unscythe
08-06-2010, 08:54 PM
What do you have against Battle Clerics?

Aside from the same thing about 97% of the rest of the game's population has against them of course.

I think his issue was with how the player played the battle-cleric. The damage he stated that the cleric did was horrid. A battle-cleric can hold their own with he right buffs up till level 10 with a melee. They will not be top dps, but they can be much more. A battle cleric has sp, and that sp can be used for crowd control. When mobs aren't hitting back is when a battle-cleric should be attacking. A battle cleric can also keep party members alive at the same time.

I played a battle-cleric for a little, I swung my greataxe and watched hp bars. Battle clerics are pretty exceptional at the low levels when multi-tasked correctly, or if another healer is present, then they can stick to comabt and crowd control and just watch their bars.

Another issue with the player and not the toon.

I didn't build the best toon, but I made it as a test subject. Wondered to see how useful the melee dps was, and it definently shows that I didnt build an end game melee. I got to level 10-12 and found the damage from axe meant a I needed alot more swings to take down mobs. But, by then I could rely on my spell bar to kill and not melee attacks. I think battle-clerics are pretty interactive builds, sicne they can heal, melee, and crowd control. Just depends on what you want to do with it. I had my cleric transition from melee with a feat swap, to be able to heal-bot end game. Not the best toon, but very fun.

porq
08-06-2010, 10:37 PM
I think his issue was with how the player played the battle-cleric. The damage he stated that the cleric did was horrid. A battle-cleric can hold their own with he right buffs up till level 10 with a melee. They will not be top dps, but they can be much more. A battle cleric has sp, and that sp can be used for crowd control. When mobs aren't hitting back is when a battle-cleric should be attacking. A battle cleric can also keep party members alive at the same time.

I played a battle-cleric for a little, I swung my greataxe and watched hp bars. Battle clerics are pretty exceptional at the low levels when multi-tasked correctly, or if another healer is present, then they can stick to comabt and crowd control and just watch their bars.

Another issue with the player and not the toon.

I didn't build the best toon, but I made it as a test subject. Wondered to see how useful the melee dps was, and it definently shows that I didnt build an end game melee. I got to level 10-12 and found the damage from axe meant a I needed alot more swings to take down mobs. But, by then I could rely on my spell bar to kill and not melee attacks. I think battle-clerics are pretty interactive builds, sicne they can heal, melee, and crowd control. Just depends on what you want to do with it. I had my cleric transition from melee with a feat swap, to be able to heal-bot end game. Not the best toon, but very fun.

Lern2twitch. You know you don't need thf feats to be halfway decent nonscythe :)

unscythe
08-06-2010, 11:52 PM
Lern2twitch. You know you don't need thf feats to be halfway decent nonscythe :)

I didnt even give the cleric power attack. I was just saying the dps on a thf cleric isnt top notch, and I made it in mind of being a raid healing capable.

Was funny though during a pug vod for a fvs to ask for dv's. I was like rofl, I got 6 cha, I ain't easting any enhancements there. I am healing enhancement specced as much as possible, but I am not gonna use my 1 turning or 4 at most with a +6 cha item, thats like 49-80 sp at most for alot of enhancement points.