PDA

View Full Version : Duration on augments?

Therakis
07-01-2010, 08:38 PM
There probably is a "logical" explanation as to why the new augments only last 6 hours but it evades me. Why not have just set them up similar to WoW? The bonuses they give are miniscule (either +4 to a skill or and additional 1d4 dmg) when compared to the usual level that the item with the slot high enough to take in effect. Just make it so that you get one augment per item that's permanent and then if you want to swap it for a new one it destroys the old. Because as it stands the augments just feel like a waste of money

Trillea
07-01-2010, 08:43 PM
There probably is a "logical" explanation as to why the new augments only last 6 hours but it evades me. Why not have just set them up similar to WoW? The bonuses they give are miniscule (either +4 to a skill or and additional 1d4 dmg) when compared to the usual level that the item with the slot high enough to take in effect. Just make it so that you get one augment per item that's permanent and then if you want to swap it for a new one it destroys the old. Because as it stands the augments just feel like a waste of money

1st, if you want to get taken seriously on these forums, remove your 2nd sentence.

2nd, it's a money sink, no more, no less. Therefore they won't be made permanent. Also this will prevent someone to join a high level guild for 5 min and get a permanent buff.

Therakis
07-02-2010, 12:19 AM
except for the fact that you couldn't just leave and keep the item. You have to remain in the guild to keep the guild lvl req. for the item.

Secondly yeah I know this isn't WoW but the way that it's PERMANENT duration "augments"worked very well, and as I stated earlier the buffs are minor at the level you would gain access to them anyways.

Finally don't downplay WoW, it's the king of mmo's for a reason. It's the personal touches that make it good. Permanent equipment buffs, simple and easy to use interface (DDO is simple too but overwhelming at times for noobies). I'm sorry but they set the bar kinda high. I'm just sayin it's never shameful to borrow from another game, especially if it works and appeals to the players.

Calebro
07-02-2010, 12:25 AM
Forget about augment slots altogether and just let me play a Blood Elf Death Knight!
....erm....wait.... ;)

Hokiewa
07-02-2010, 01:19 AM
Finally don't downplay WoW, it's the king of mmo's for a reason. I'm sorry but they set the bar kinda high. I'm just sayin it's never shameful to borrow from another game, especially if it works and appeals to the players.

Edited for brevity.

You have it wrong. Wow is successful, much like any consumer good, because it caters to the lowest common denominator. I'm not bashing WoW; it's just a simple fact.

Jay203
07-02-2010, 01:33 AM
Edited for brevity.

You have it wrong. Wow is successful, much like any consumer good, because it caters to the lowest common denominator. I'm not bashing WoW; it's just a simple fact.

qft
+1 :)

Gorbadoc
07-02-2010, 02:51 AM
I don't play WoW. Does this mean you don't care about convincing me, or was there some other reason why you neglected to say how the WoW system works?

Narmolanya
07-02-2010, 03:48 AM
I don't play WoW. Does this mean you don't care about convincing me, or was there some other reason why you neglected to say how the WoW system works?

His point is he wants DDO to be like WoW.

Girlbrush
07-02-2010, 04:05 AM
His point was that the way augments work now provides very little benefit to the player, and I agree with his point. There's very little reason to make them last only six hours, especially for low level items that are replaced so easily. He's also right that the items could also be coded such that the player must remain in a guild that meets the items' minimum level requirement in order to prevent that exploit that Trillea highlighted. It's unfortunate that the OP touched a raw nerve by mentioning WoW, but let's try to focus on whether augments are working fine as they are or whether they can be improved, no?

Since you asked, I'll explain how that system works. In WoW, some items come with sockets which you can insert using gems. Each gem has its own properties (like bonuses to spell power). Once you insert a gem in a socket, it stays there permanently. If you find a better gem later on, you can replace the old gem with the new one. Doing this destroys the older gem, and you'll benefit only from the newer gem. All he was asking for was to make the augment stay permanently so it won't feel like a waste of money to get the augments.

Dendrix
07-02-2010, 04:10 AM
There probably is a "logical" explanation as to why the new augments only last 6 hours but it evades me.

It's a platinum sink. It removes money from the economy (which is a good thing) whilst giving you benefits (which is also a good thing).

The 6 hours matches the experience or loot boosts that you can get from the DDO Store.

REALb0r3d
07-02-2010, 04:20 AM
I got wind they're changing the system to allow equipping items with a minimum guild level, just not inserting a gem unless the MGL is achieved.

What are the prices on the gems btw?

LordRavnos
07-02-2010, 04:28 AM
I played wow unfortunately for awhile. Yes its an ok game, but please do not compare this to that. Its appples to oranges. And in wow the gems you socket are for personal gain only, these augmentation crystals, unless I read the, wrong and I apologize if I did, effect your entire guild, which is way better than wow does. So the 6 hour boost is for everyone in your guild, not just you. Seems fair to me. And a plat sink of course.

Girlbrush
07-02-2010, 04:37 AM
The augments benefits only you, not your guild.

redgod
07-02-2010, 05:07 AM
(DDO is simple too but overwhelming at times for noobies). I'm sorry but they set the bar kinda high. I'm just sayin it's never shameful to borrow from another game, especially if it works and appeals to the players.

first ddo does set the bar high for a reason wow is inundated with 8 year olds who can run at monster (a) and it dies its amazing how it takes no skill or even work.

everyone wants to water down and code for the lowest easy mode they can and with free to play weve seen this here too its sad and it is shamefull to borrow from another competitor.

be origional and people will play copy the other guy and chances are they did it better why does anyone want to play the same game with a different title

and wow being the king of mmos is like saying their the smartest kid in special ed they were the only real choice for like 4 years after evercrack lost its appeal with that kind of freedom they could have done anything and people would have loved it

vVAnjilaVv
07-02-2010, 05:13 AM
Edited for brevity.

No doubt.....One truly achieving person who really utilizes all that they are can be more powerful than 10-100 mindless drones....give or take a few.

Bacab
07-02-2010, 05:25 AM
Lets not make this into one of "those" threads.

Lets just all agree we do not like WoW...if we did...we would play WoW.

Does that mean something inside of WoW can not be good?

I do wish that the buff lasted longer than 6 hours myself. Maybe not permanent...but longer would be cool.

OR

Make it permanent... but use the dreaming dark mechanic...or create something similar. 24 Pie Pieces or maybe a lotta other BtA items and you have to beat a mini-raid to upgrade?

vVAnjilaVv
07-02-2010, 05:32 AM
But...but.....

The fact of the matter is WoW is for drones and DDO is for people with intelligence :P