PDA

View Full Version : Monks and TWF

Dazalarian
07-01-2010, 06:34 AM
Hi,

I'm a bit confused with monks and TWF. Earlier it seemed that all builds took TWF.

whats the deal now after U5? is there any point in taking the TWF line if you're only using unarmed?

Cheers,
-Daz

redgod
07-01-2010, 06:37 AM
Hi,

I'm a bit confused with monks and TWF. Earlier it seemed that all builds took TWF.

whats the deal now after U5? is there any point in taking the TWF line if you're only using unarmed?

Cheers,
-Daz

yes twf is still the way to go vastly superior dps even after mod (just not the same)

t0r012
07-01-2010, 06:38 AM
Yep you still want TWF.

double strikes or extra attacks doesn't matter so much it is still extra hits and damage still well worth the feats.

MrLarone
07-01-2010, 06:40 AM
the twf chain adds to your proc for you off hand maxing out at 80% with greater.

without twf you'll only have a 20% of getting a off hand hit.

this has the side affect that 80% of the time you'll get 2 hits from one monk punch e.g. ToD.

that's 80% of doing 1,000 dmg.

assuming you pass to-hit rolls on both hands.

i think it's still worth taking.

***edit***

to comment on t0r012's note about double strike -

double strike has nothing to do with TWF.

as monks we have access to double strike whilst in wind-stance.

double strike gives us an extra attack with our main hand (i'm not sure of the proc but i believe it's in the region of 5-10%)

so it's possible to get ToD 3 times!!!

the off hand bonus from TWF and the main hand bonus from Doublestrike aren't so important to monks as we have the same weapon for both hands.

it's important to understand the difference though when equipping other classes as they'll likely have different affects in each hand.

Dazalarian
07-01-2010, 07:00 AM
Ok,

I was under the assumption that monk attacks (since they being unarmed) sorta went outside the TWF scope somehow. And now with TWF being more or less broken I was wondering if you could skip it all together.

Cheers,
-Daz

Sylvenon
07-01-2010, 11:28 AM
Taking the TWF chain also help make Stunning Fists more effective. My monk regularly hits twice with this punch, which means that I get a stun and a crit on a single punch 80% of the time.

Cruoris08
07-03-2010, 05:49 PM
so, with twf, is it ok to use a handwrap on the main hand, and a short sword etc on the other.?

orakio
07-04-2010, 12:34 AM
It doesn't work like that Cruoris08. Handwraps do have quite a few unique traits, among them is that they take up both wielded slots with a single item but function as TWF. What this means is that a +1 flaming handwraps would give the flaming property to both your main and offhand attacks.

All other weapons in the game require a weapon in each hand to function as TWF.