PDA

View Full Version : Master's Touch spell is now broken, put it back the way it was

darkzane
06-30-2010, 06:24 AM
Master's Touch used to grant marital weapon proficiently when it was cast. This caused a bit of lag but was manageable if it was cast during group buffs.

Now it enchants the currently held weapon so every time you switch to a new weapon you need to recast the spell.

For the same SP cost as before.

Makes two handed fighting warchanter bards a real PITA to play.

Change it back and work on figure out a way to fix the lag instead.

Kriogen
06-30-2010, 06:33 AM
/signed

Im mean is that designed/programmer that implemented this really that "cheap". Atleast he/she should make it like Resist Energy spell.

Sorry devs, but current implementation is pathetic. A total noob only armed with MMOs for Dummies could do it better.

Im sure you can do it better then this, right?

MateCarefor
06-30-2010, 06:36 AM
same thread here: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=258706

Missing_Minds
06-30-2010, 06:42 AM
The lag was caused due to the fact the spell granted prof to all weapons then removed them all. This lag effected you, and there was much complaining about it.

So much so the spell got nerfed to be how it acts in Pen and Paper. So really, the spell is correct now not the broken form that it was.

Funny how complaints work no?

However, I'll agree... the old form is much more useful for a video game.

Canuckish
06-30-2010, 06:54 AM
Old form was definitly more useful..

However the concept of "enhancing" a held weapon is cool, and could lead to other possible Spell based "weapon" enhancements perhaps...

Would be cool to buff your own Great Axe, especially if you could then pass that around... that could lead to some sweet weapon buffing for raids.. "who needs Holy? Pure Good?"

Crystalizer
06-30-2010, 06:55 AM
very bad idea to change the spell that way, it severely gimps builds based on it, and dont forget that divine power clickies are also very important with these builds, so now its almost impossible to play them decently (or rather at the same speed than a standard group, let me buff 5mn and run away from beholders constantly first o) ), and it wasnt simple before. ddo is a very hybrid-friendly mmo, if ddo gets too standardized considering others mmo then it will just be another mmo to forget.

Cyr
06-30-2010, 09:54 AM
/signed

Fix things Turbine by actually fixing your coding. Don't just nerf them and claim a fix.

Valindria
06-30-2010, 09:55 AM
http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=258041

Eladiun
06-30-2010, 10:00 AM
very bad idea to change the spell that way, it severely gimps builds based on it,

Welcome to the Nerf Club...There were a lot of severely gimped builds in this patch. I don't believe this was just to fix lag any more than I believe the TWF was...I think it was a developer commentary on the proliferation of battle-casters.

Everyone got nerfed in U5.

MyersVandalay
06-30-2010, 10:08 AM
very bad idea to change the spell that way, it severely gimps builds based on it, and dont forget that divine power clickies are also very important with these builds, so now its almost impossible to play them decently (or rather at the same speed than a standard group, let me buff 5mn and run away from beholders constantly first o) ), and it wasnt simple before. ddo is a very hybrid-friendly mmo, if ddo gets too standardized considering others mmo then it will just be another mmo to forget.

Actually, could the beholders be an advantage to this?

Has anyone checked to see if antimagic effects the new masters touch? Haven't tested it but if it dosn't, there may be a silver lining.

Though I do agree with part of the complaints, personally were I to change it I would have it work similar to the old way, except that it grants proficiency with the type of equipped weapon only, so you could cast it once and gain a buff for say all of your greataxes, and then a second time for maul profficiancy etc...

just 1 weapon type at a time shouldn't create visible lag as it did before, but also not make your weapon stash require 10 different castings, as most warchanters may have 10 weapons, but rarely spread out over more then 2-3 types.

Hellwitch
06-30-2010, 01:40 PM
Masters touch was useful in many ways b4 they nerfed I liked the ability I had to cast it b4 I shopped in the pawns or the auction house as I could instantly see if I didnt meet the umd or alignment; that was nice but I could really live with out that eventhough I will still miss that benifit.
The timer is now missing from the screen, this makes it real tough to know its still active. I now have to cast it everytime I switch a weapon set this makes using it in combat with a group almost impossible as I cant switch from a paralizing to a dps weapon to another weapon like banishing with out re casting the spell on the fly.
There has to be a better solution to make this work and solve lag. A solution could be to go back to the way it was. Or make masters touch have a drop down like teleport or resist energy spell where I could hot bar the martial weapon I wanted to buff, then I could add this to my prebuff list and run a quest with out having to cast it in combat (unless it timed out) this isnt the best solution because I will burn up alot of sp casting this on short sword, great sword, and light pick (I am sure there are alot of other players that would be upset casting it multiple times too). Better yet make it where it was cast on myself and then granted the ability as that weapon became equipped. Please fix this to make it more friendly to use and give us a timer back on our screen!

Darkrok
06-30-2010, 01:47 PM
Old form was definitly more useful..

However the concept of "enhancing" a held weapon is cool, and could lead to other possible Spell based "weapon" enhancements perhaps...

Would be cool to buff your own Great Axe, especially if you could then pass that around... that could lead to some sweet weapon buffing for raids.. "who needs Holy? Pure Good?"

This also opens up the chance that they may add artificers to the game at some point.

I'd still prefer if they check my bag for weapons and enchant ALL of them. :P

Gulnar13
06-30-2010, 01:49 PM
Actually, could the beholders be an advantage to this?

Has anyone checked to see if antimagic effects the new masters touch? Haven't tested it but if it dosn't, there may be a silver lining.

Let me say this again:

BEHOLDERs ANTIMAGIC FIELD does NOT remove new MASTER TOUCH. So now, wizards, it's time to smack down those eyed meatbags.

Aurora1979
06-30-2010, 01:56 PM
I really dont like this change, its gota be said.

I have 16 odd weapons on my WF, plus major lore items. I dont use all my weapons in one quest, but it might be 3 or 4 and its just a pain. Instead of 1 bit of lag which i was used to i get multiple smaller bits... which might come and go at all times through a quest if im buffing weapons as i use them, not all at once at the beginning of the quest.

Also, Im not sure the timer is working correctly. I seem to be having to cast it quite alot during a quest. This could well be down to be getting dispel cast on me... it does happen plenty but without the counter disappearing, Im finding it hard to keep track of when exactly its going off. The "you are not proficent" message only comes up when you swap weaps and the little black box with red exclamation in the top right I just dont notice it until i look... if that makes sense.

Anyhoo.... change it back please. Or... I will also go with either doing it by weapon catagory similar to resist... mean I will have to swap a few weapons to make things easier but thats fine. Or just buff every weapon type in my backpack. Im not sure if either of these are possible but just.... not what we have got pleeeeease!!!!!

fatherpirate
06-30-2010, 02:40 PM
The 'nerf' I can live with.

The fact that Extend Magic Feat no longer works with it...
or
that you no longer can tell how much time you have left on it

That is a serious problem

Crystalizer
06-30-2010, 03:01 PM
Let me say this again:

BEHOLDERs ANTIMAGIC FIELD does NOT remove new MASTER TOUCH. So now, wizards, it's time to smack down those eyed meatbags.for how long.. ?? will be nerfed as well i guess

eveilsor666
06-30-2010, 04:19 PM
Master's Touch used to grant marital weapon proficiently...

Does that mean that it used to give you a +5 Cake Cutter of Wedding Bane, but now it only gives you a +1 Pocket Knife of Cursespewing?

Chai
06-30-2010, 04:24 PM
The lag was caused due to the fact the spell granted prof to all weapons then removed them all. This lag effected you, and there was much complaining about it.

So much so the spell got nerfed to be how it acts in Pen and Paper. So really, the spell is correct now not the broken form that it was.

Funny how complaints work no?

However, I'll agree... the old form is much more useful for a video game.

/agree

Now apply that logic to all the wolf crying that went on about lag in the shroud for the past few years...

/ducks

arch0njw
06-30-2010, 04:35 PM
I miss the countdown the most. It is more awkward to tell when it runs out.

But ultimately I did like it the old way. That was so much easier and more user friendly.