PDA

View Full Version : how you get 40 umd on pure wizard?

Demsac
06-30-2010, 04:13 AM
I think I've only added up to like 32..

11 rank
3 bunny hat
4 gh
1 lichform
6 gs item
3 , 6 cha item
1, 2 ex-cha item
2 - good luck
1 - +2 cha tome

Sadly I think I'm staying heal better in lichform with the new spells then I am when I'm out of it...Don't really understand why the new npc for palemasters give us stuff we can't use without umd...What else am I forgetting? Besides trs...and 36 point build and 4 cha tome...also how much does that new epic hat give? Stacks with everything right? but gear changing for umd seems annoying.

blitzschlag
06-30-2010, 04:19 AM

11 rank
3 bunny hat
4 gh
1 lichform
6 gs item
3 , 6 cha item
1, 2 ex-cha item
2 - good luck
1 - +2 cha tome

Sadly I think I'm staying heal better in lichform with the new spells then I am when I'm out of it...Don't really understand why the new npc for palemasters give us stuff we can't use without umd...What else am I forgetting? Besides trs...and 36 point build and 4 cha tome...also how much does that new epic hat give? Stacks with everything right? but gear changing for umd seems annoying.

is harm scrolls now availlable at the vendors?

Demsac
06-30-2010, 04:25 AM

You can get them from the collector in house j..you go talk to the vampire guy he summons another npc and you can trade in undead related collectables, other then that I don't think you can buy them..(not sure of the npc names right now)

Visty
06-30-2010, 04:25 AM

no but you can get them for collectables

blitzschlag
06-30-2010, 04:27 AM
no but you can get them for collectables

that would be not reliable enough for me to build my selfhealing strategy on umd and harm ;)

irivan
06-30-2010, 04:35 AM

11 rank
3 bunny hat
4 gh
1 lichform
6 gs item
3 , 6 cha item
1, 2 ex-cha item
2 - good luck
1 - +2 cha tome

look at post #3 here

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?p=3024470#post3024470

Calebro
06-30-2010, 04:48 AM
Golden Cartouche / Seven Fingered Gloves +3/+5
Bard song +2
Monk's Walk of the Sun or the new dark path one, whatever it's called +2/+5

I'm probably missing some that I can't think of at the moment.
Even if you're running solo, the gloves get you to 37

Monkey_Archer
06-30-2010, 04:58 AM
A resonable UMD on a pure wizard would be 35 without giving up too much...

11 rank
3 skill focus: UMD
2 Luck
6 charisma skills item
3 UMD item (cartouche, vile blasphemy, etc)
4 GH
6 charisma mod (14base+2tome+6item)
---

I am planning for 40 when i TR my wiz though...

11 rank
2 Luck
6 charisma skills item
5 UMD item (seven fingered gloves)
4 GH
8 charisma mod (14base+3tome+6item+1litany+2 yugo pot)
1 Bard pastlife
---

Rusty_Can
06-30-2010, 06:38 AM
Golden Cartouche / Seven Fingered Gloves +3/+5

Even if you're running solo, the gloves get you to 37

He is already taking into account the "bunny hat", which provides +3 competence bonus to UMD (when using wands and scrolls); since Golden Cartouche and 7FG provide the same kind of bonus, he would gain only +2 from 7FG and nothing from Golden Cartouche.

Calebro
06-30-2010, 06:57 AM
He is already taking into account the "bunny hat", which provides +3 competence bonus to UMD (when using wands and scrolls); since Golden Cartouche and 7FG provide the same kind of bonus, he would gain only +2 from 7FG and nothing from Golden Cartouche.

I was under the impression that the bunny hat stacked. I don't have one, but wasn't the the point of it being in the store? That it stacked?

Crazyfruit
06-30-2010, 07:53 AM
It doesn't stack. What it does is let you be lazy & not equip the other items :)

samthedagger
06-30-2010, 09:52 AM
40 UMD is not realistic without a lot of grinding and a good number of build points in Charisma. Being able to use heal scrolls without fail is difficult if you are a wizard. Being able to use raise dead scrolls without fail is significantly easier. You can also carry around scrolls of cure critical wounds for when heal isn't absolutely necessary. But when you need to drop a heal, sometimes you just have to hope you luck out.

If you are a human you can take human versatility for a +2 from skill boost. Or if you take at least one level of rogue you can take rogue skill boost for +2. You also don't have Skill Focus: Use Magic Device on that list, OP. That would be another 3.

exactor_mortis
06-30-2010, 11:05 AM
Or if you take at least one level of rogue you can take rogue skill boost for +2.

Of course, if you get a level of rogue, the whole thing becomes significantly easier, doesn't it?

Aerendil
06-30-2010, 01:37 PM
Of course, if you get a level of rogue, the whole thing becomes significantly easier, doesn't it?

Yep.

Also keep in mind:
- the big top adds +1. epic big top adds +3. stacks with everything.
- if human, the versatility line adds +5.

Demsac
07-01-2010, 01:32 AM
More posts then I expected...thanks everyone. I'll have to think of how much I'm okay with getting..don't really want to give up feats or levels to get 40..

Carpone
07-15-2010, 03:26 PM
A resonable UMD on a pure wizard would be 35 without giving up too much...

11 rank
2 Luck
6 charisma skills item
3 UMD item (cartouche, vile blasphemy, etc)
4 GH
6 charisma mod (14base+2tome+6item)
---

I am planning for 40 when i TR my wiz though...

11 rank
2 Luck
6 charisma skills item
5 UMD item (seven fingered gloves)
4 GH
8 charisma mod (14base+3tome+6item+1litany+2 yugo pot)
1 Bard pastlife
---
You only need 39 UMD to cast Heal scrolls (39 + 1d20 = 40 minimum).

Epic Big Top provides +3 enhancement to UMD which stacks with the +competence UMD bonus on the bunny hat, cartouche, vile blasphemy or seven fingered gloves. Of course for most folks there will be the additional issue of having Heavy Fortification elsewhere since most people wear Minos Legens. That's addressed easily enough with a Shroud 45 HP, Heavy Fortification item.

Epic Big Top is actually one of the best consolidation items for UMD: +3 enhancement, +3 competence on wands and scrolls from the Bunny Hat hidden effect (DDO Store), and slot it with +6 CHA for a final +3 bonus. Under the Big Top (where it drops) is a 10 minute run for 4 chests and an epic token.

jjflanigan
07-19-2010, 02:46 PM
Yep.

Also keep in mind:
- the big top adds +1. epic big top adds +3. stacks with everything.
- if human, the versatility line adds +5.

You sure about that, I was fairly certain that the normal big top +1 was a standard comp. bonus and didn't stack with other things (like when I put on the cartouche I only went up +2 instead of +3 while wearing the hat).

bradleyforrest
07-19-2010, 03:01 PM
Keep in mind that you only actually need 39 UMD to guarantee success. You'll always be adding at least 1 from your die roll and that will meet the UMD requirement.