PDA

View Full Version : ok, im making my 3rd cleric...

graardor
06-26-2010, 10:34 PM
with all the repplys i've gotten heres what I have gone with for now.

dwarven cleric

16 str
8 dex
14 con
8 int
16 wis
6 cha

use my 4 skill points on concentration.

get the extend spell feat.

does this sound good?

Dawnsfire
06-26-2010, 10:50 PM
I want to be an ultimate helper so heres the setup im having trouble with.

cleric

dwarf

28 pt build:

16 str
12 dex
12 con
18 wis

now where im having trouble is distributing the dex and con?

should i be more con focused for more hp and fortitude?

or would dex be better? wouldnt it kinda be useless since im going to use full plates anyway?

other than that im giving the extend feat to make my buffs longer and later on im going to get the eshrew materials so i dont have to worry about

"failed action: you are out of component"

and im also using my skill points on heal because i want my friends to get the best out of a shrine.

I would redistribute your points from Dex to Con. I doubt you will be depending on distance weapons or attempting an AC build on a cleric. Extend is an excellent choice as early on buffs are way too short.

I would stay away from eschew though. If you are worried about running out of materials you can always drag them to an action bar and keep track of them that way. I would also consider Empower healing as your next feat. The Radiant Servant PRE (http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=2915896&postcount=1) sounds almost tailor made for this build.

The healing skill may seem great in the beginning but the amount of hp it adds after a shrine really doesn't keep up as you level. It would add to the concept's flavor though I suppose. Just make sure you invest max in concentration it is a must if you want to cast in combat until you get the Quicken feat.

Enjoy DDO :)

DavionFuxa
06-26-2010, 10:52 PM
Con is more important - because it will tie into your Concentration which will be what determines if you fail to cast a spell or not. It is also important for the Hit Points as well, and a Dwarf should at least try to get to 16.

You shouldn't really worry too much about the Dexterity stat - your AC won't be meaningful, your Reflex Saves are never going to be high enough, and you probably won't be getting Dodge, TWF, or Weapon Finesse. I would treat it as a dump stat and leave it at 8 myself.

Also, unless your going to be a Battle Cleric, the 16 Strength might be a bit high. You need some Strength to negate Ray of Exhaustion, being able to carry your hard earned loot, and Meleeing in the early levels - but usually 12 Strength or 14 Strength will suffice.

Special mention is made to Intelligence. Unless your fine with just getting Concentration, and note I said Concentration and not Heal, a couple points can allow you to get another skill to help yourself out - such as Balance, and you will be glad to take Balance if you do.

Regarding Eschew Materials - Many regard it as a waste of a feat. I would think as well that a Cleric shouldn't have too much trouble buying a stack of 1000 or so spell components here and again either as well, even with everything else they would need to buy.

graardor
06-26-2010, 11:00 PM
ok, thanks (i miscalcualated my points into the thread but i get the general idea)

i have another cleric question, if i make my cha higher (which improoves turning)

will it allso improve the abilitys that use turning points? like the one that heals some sp to an ally?

farbtonwolf
06-26-2010, 11:18 PM
Having a Higher Charisma will not give you a stronger sps total for Divine Vitilities (DV's) The number of turn attempts you would have increases with CHA and that in turn can be used to dish out more dvs.

tihocan
06-27-2010, 08:50 AM
i have another cleric question, if i make my cha higher (which improoves turning)

will it allso improve the abilitys that use turning points? like the one that heals some sp to an ally?
No. You can use more of them, but they won't be more efficient.

Daggaz
06-27-2010, 09:12 AM
With 28 pt buy, I would honestly just forgo trying a charisma focused cleric.. Battle clerics are generally going to be str/con/wis and caster clerics will be wis/con/str in order of stat importance, so tossing points at a couple more DV's is kind of painful.

Of course, nothing is stopping you from doing something like wis/con/cha, but the low str score is going to burden you both in the early levels, and later when you get nailed by stat reducing penalties. More so than any turn benefit you will ever see.

Dropping wisdom for charisma is just.. well.. crazy, as you get so much more for wis than cha. And please, please, dont drop con for it. Con is so fundamentally important, its just sad to see people with even 12 con unless they really have something to show for it.

The fact that you are a dwarf should pretty much blow this decision out of the water tho.. Dwarves are solid battle clerics, and make great party anchors as they can be REALLY hard to kill, which is what you want in a healer. You can go offensive caster as well no problem, tho a human will always have superior DCs with human versatility to wisdom.

GhoulsTouch
06-27-2010, 09:59 AM
I think Wis/Str/Con is more in line for a dwarf who can up his Con with enhancements and has 4 tiers of racial toughness...
Here is a 28 point you can look at for ideas. Put points into Heal to conserve your SP.

Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 3.34
DDO Character Planner Home Page (http://www.rjcyberware.com/DDO)

Level 20 Chaotic Good Dwarf Male
(1 Fighter \ 19 Cleric)
Hit Points: 316
Spell Points: 1681
BAB: 15\15\20\25\25
Fortitude: 15
Reflex: 6
Will: 18

Starting Feat/Enhancement
Abilities Base Stats Modified Stats
(28 Point) (Level 1) (Level 20)
Strength 16 16
Dexterity 10 10
Constitution 12 14
Intelligence 12 12
Wisdom 16 24
Charisma 6 6

Feat/Enhancement
Modified Skills
Skills (Level 20)
Balance 8
Bluff -2
Concentration 24
Diplomacy -2
Disable Device n/a
Haggle -2
Heal 30
Hide 0
Intimidate -2
Jump 11
Listen 7
Move Silently 0
Open Lock n/a
Perform n/a
Repair 1
Search 3
Spot 7
Swim 3
Tumble 1
Use Magic Device n/a

Level 1 (Fighter)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Power Attack
Feat: (Selected) Toughness

Level 2 (Cleric)

Level 3 (Cleric)
Feat: (Selected) Extend Spell

Level 4 (Cleric)

Level 5 (Cleric)

Level 6 (Cleric)
Feat: (Selected) Mental Toughness

Level 7 (Cleric)

Level 8 (Cleric)

Level 9 (Cleric)
Feat: (Selected) Improved Mental Toughness

Level 10 (Cleric)

Level 11 (Cleric)

Level 12 (Cleric)
Feat: (Selected) Empower Spell

Level 13 (Cleric)

Level 14 (Cleric)

Level 15 (Cleric)
Feat: (Selected) Toughness

Level 16 (Cleric)

Level 17 (Cleric)

Level 18 (Cleric)
Feat: (Selected) Spell Penetration

Level 19 (Cleric)

Level 20 (Cleric)
Enhancement: Dwarven Axe Damage I
Enhancement: Dwarven Constitution I
Enhancement: Dwarven Constitution II
Enhancement: Dwarven Faith I
Enhancement: Dwarven Faith II
Enhancement: Dwarven Faith III
Enhancement: Dwarven Faith IV
Enhancement: Unyielding Sovereignty
Enhancement: Follower of the Sovereign Host
Enhancement: Racial Toughness I
Enhancement: Racial Toughness II
Enhancement: Racial Toughness III
Enhancement: Racial Toughness IV
Enhancement: Cleric Prayer of Life I
Enhancement: Cleric Prayer of Incredible Life I
Enhancement: Cleric Prayer of Incredible Life II
Enhancement: Cleric Prayer of Incredible Life III
Enhancement: Cleric Life Magic I
Enhancement: Cleric Life Magic II
Enhancement: Cleric Life Magic III
Enhancement: Cleric Life Magic IV
Enhancement: Cleric Improved Spell Penetration I
Enhancement: Cleric Improved Spell Penetration II
Enhancement: Cleric Energy of the Zealot I
Enhancement: Cleric Energy of the Zealot II
Enhancement: Cleric Energy of the Zealot III
Enhancement: Cleric Energy of the Zealot IV
Enhancement: Cleric Wisdom I
Enhancement: Cleric Wisdom II
Enhancement: Cleric Wisdom III
Enhancement: Fighter Toughness I

graardor
06-27-2010, 12:59 PM
hmmm... wouldnt it be better to drop the 10 dex in that for 14 con for better spell casting and hp?

since a cleric in heavy armour has no use for dex.

DavionFuxa
06-27-2010, 01:25 PM
Wouldn't put too much emphasis on that Full Plate, or anything else you'll be wearing. A Cleric doesn't have that much defense even with the higher AC. But I would agree with you on going with 8 Dex so you can get 2 more Con.

The other Question would be regarding Int and Skill Points. If you are really interested in getting Heal, then that set up might be for you, however, getting 10 Int and bumping con another 2 points is also a viable option.

Edit, Another important note is that you could redistribute the skill points as well.

Braegan
06-27-2010, 01:34 PM
Put points into Heal to conserve your SP.

All Heal skill does is increase (by a very small amount) the amount of hp team members recover at shrines when you are near them, IIRC. Waste of skills IMO. Concentration (still useful with Quicken as quicken doesn't allow scrolls to be uninterupted)
Balance (you heal no one or fight no one if it takes you 5 mins to recover from a trip)

are much better choices.